Unity Tax & Engine Alternatives

thaeral

Sep 21, 2019
I came here to see if there was a thread for this. A lot of devs have been spinning up Unity builds instead of Renpy for various reasons and I imagine this will have an impact given that it is lifetime installs. 200,000 seems like a lot until you consider how people can abuse this Unity policy and massively hurt developers. I believe a coordinated effort of install, uninstall, and reinstall would all fall under this policy?
I imagine this will spur a lot of action from States, Countries, Organizations given how easily this seems to be abused. I just hope the little guys get help and support in this. Once again, it's not the ones who are making all the money that feel the pain and pay the price with these decisions.

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
I was trying out unity for a 2d sidescroller I was planning to release for free here, but I recently heard unity will be charging people per install soon.
I spent a fair bit of time learning the engine, but I don't want to support unity's decision or wake up one morning and cough up money for something I made for fun in my spare time.

So, what are some game engines you recommend?
Glad you asked, I have a whole thread for that :D

https://f95zone.to/threads/small-list-of-free-game-engines-and-frameworks.109859/

Should add Stride3D to the list, it looks like a good replacement for Unity veterans if the intent is a fully 3D game, as it uses C# Done

Also, regarding the thresholds that'll trigger Unity's new charge: yes, first you need to have accrued a total of 200k+ installs and earned 200k dollars in the previous 12 months. If the game hasn't made that much in that time, the installs from 200,001+ won't be charged, so games with zero monetization won't suffer a thing.
Keep in mind, however, that there are many games on Google Play/Apple Store that are "free to play" but have aggressive cash shops, and also monetize advertisement, the latter not as lucrative as direct microtransactions, but can still bring in some cash. Per their own announcement, anything earned from in-app-purchases, advertising, direct sales will count towards those 200k dollars.
Another thing: spoofing new hardware is easy, especially if you use a VM. They said they'll also track WebGL (playing from the browser) as a download. If fully clearing your cookies, or playing with a different browser, fingerprints you as a different install hasn't been clarified, AFAIK

It's extremely unlikely that any game available here will ever hit those requirements, but if Unity's pulling this kind of shit right now, who's to say they won't aim at the smaller hordes of indies with <5k downloads as a way to squeeze money out of them sometime in the future? It's a lot like the shit Hasbro pulled with DnD earlier this year, wanting to retroactively apply a new license/TOS to already released products.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
Well, most small dev teams will be quite ok, because Unity will have no way to track their income in most countries to begin with, unless they force the devs to submit their revenues per games, which if included into the TOS/agreement with Unity, may be problematic. I'm unsure on whether Unity has the right to request that kind of information from their customers, let alone in which country.

As long as they keep the monetary section, it'll only impact large companies, and only in places where they've got a tax return/earnings that are made public. Even then, since their accounts usually do not go into details as to how much each game brought to them, Unity will only be able to base themselves on sales figures they may find somewhere. Only the most massive stuff boast about the revenues of their biggest titles during investor calls.

Now, regarding patreon and the like, I doubt they can get the amount of profits at all, since most page only show the amount of patreons. They can estimate the minimum revenue by multiplying the amount of backers by the smallest sub... but, it is a monthly thing, so if they do not keep track of it each month, for each dev, I do not think they can get even a correct low estimation either. The dev will also be able to dispute their earning estimations, unless Unity can prove they kept an accurate track of their patreon's page and count through the entire year. Keeping that in mind, this is more than likely challengeable in most courts. A single dev may not be able to do it, but considering how many of you there are, well, I'll let you work out the next step if it needs to happen :)

Plateforms like steam and itch, do not share the amount of sales per products either, even less so which countries they've been sold to. Since they're differentiating 3rd world countries from the rest, I recon it'd be impossible for them to get anywhere near accurate data from anywhere online, including from steam or itch, simply due to them separating the 3rd world (how can they prove how many times the game got download from steam/tich from X country?)

So, the only way I can see them do it, is by launching some shit from the user's pc.

For their "addon" to work, the end user will have to allow it network access on their pc from windows 10 onward. For games that require a network connection, sure it'll go through. In here, or on just about every smaller communities, the users simply need to Deny Windows' popup regarding trusting the game when it asks for network access. The end, no report sent to unity.

If it comes down to it, players can simply block the network access altogether to unity' servers. I'm pretty certain some dedicated members, will simply launch Unity games, and see where the network connection goes. It's a pretty easy thing to block from hereon.

Granted, it'll require some user co-operation/interactions, but in our small circles, that's hardly going to be a big thing to obtain, hell, I block all network requests from any games unless I estimate they need it anyway.

Now, since it is per installations as well, it stands to reason that the games... needs to be installed as well. Most of the games on here, are "extract and execute", with only but a few needing an actual install. This is not to mention emulator online sites allowing to play some games online rather than having to download them. I'm not sure if unity games are a common things on those, but I've read on threads in here, that people do tend to play games through those as well. Those, should be a single install on that server as well, cutting yet again another chunk of people's playing count.

If, it runs of an execution(rather than install) of the game, and somehow knows it's been run on the machine before, this can legally be challenged, as Unity will have absolutely no way to prove their software can identify for certain than a computer is not the same, following for example a fried motherboard or SSD/HDD that needed replacement. If it does THAT, it'll have to have some entries or checks that needs to be done in the registry for example. That, can be exported and manually installed by the users as well, so the game appears to be a single install as well.

I wouldn't put it past some devs to come up with a small software, that blocks communications to the unity servers as well.

In short, I seriously doubt Unity would be able to track down the installs and the revenues for smaller devs, let alone estimate where it came from. And if it runs off estimates, without being able to legally require earning reports from smallers devs in most countries, they can not easily enforce that fee. IF they take you to court however, through discovery, they will get your earning, so it is only a valid protection IF you earn less... pending knowing if their business model is actually legal at all, since it may well be illegal in some countries.

One can make the argument, that they're trying to implement what is in essence, a sales tax. Only governments can do that, so there may be some frictions there as well once this things reaches certain ears.

I've also thought about the current situation here, every small dev, can correctly state that every version released, up to the final one, is in the test/development stage as well. Revenues based to develop the game, especially patreon, are not sales revenues, but development funding.
One could probably argue that early access sales, are also a development fund, and not an actual sale revenue. But, if they are not charging for test builds and demos, this is pretty much your easy way out anyway :) I'll let you get creative with THAT part :)

Last edited:

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
Now, regarding patreon and the like, I doubt they can get the amount of profits at all,
Patreon is a subscriber service, so Unity will charge any fees directly to them, not the dev.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Now, since it is per installations as well, it stands to reason that the games... needs to be installed as well. Most of the games on here, are "extract and execute", with only but a few needing an actual install.
The word installs must not be taken literally here.
The detection practices they'll most likley use for it, will be the same they use for fraud detection in their Ads technology (they also want to use it to detect pirated software). So it will be checked every time the game is started and if necessary the data is sent to Unity-HQ.
Their initial plan was to even count every time a game is updated (even if only a bit of data is being copied, so without any installation). But they already announced to chancel that because of the backlash.
What is still going to count to the runtime are any hardware changes, no matter if the game is re-installed or not.

I wouldn't put it past some devs to come up with a small software, that blocks communications to the unity servers as well.
Not if Unity forbids the usage of such means in the TOS every dev has to agree to.

In short, I seriously doubt Unity would be able to track down the installs and the revenues for smaller devs, let alone estimate where it came from. And if it runs off estimates, without being able to legally require earning reports from smallers devs in most countries, they can not easily enforce that fee. IF they take you to court however, through discovery, they will get your earning, so it is only a valid protection IF you earn less...
You make many assumptions and have a lot of hope and goodwill, which unfortunately does not work that way.

One can make the argument, that they're trying to implement what is in essence, a sales tax. Only governments can do that, so there may be some frictions there as well once this things reaches certain ears.
Yes they can. Look at Unreal Engine. When publishing a game or application developed with Unreal Engine, Epic Games takes a 5% royalty fee from gross revenue after the product's lifetime gross exceeds $1 million (USD). Which is basically a sales tax.

Revenues based to develop the game, especially patreon, are not sales revenues, but development funding.
That doesn't matter, because its not about sales revenues, but any revenues made by the game, this includes early access, fundings from Patreon or Kickstarter and also revenues from in-game ads.

What you are absolutely right about, however, is the legality of it all. This will not work in many countries and even the Californian law they refer to does not comply.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The simple fact that several of us with some semblance of common sense, intelligence, and experience can find problems with how Unity expects to implement this plan shows they did not do their due diligence to make sure the details were properly decided.
As I implied in my first post, I'm pretty sure that they targets apps and their sweet ads money.
They smelled something when the EU started to targets stores and their de facto monopoly, and goes with their own in-game purchase module. And now they try another approach to make their hands on the jackpot.

It's also possible that they fear, or know, that some are clearly cheating them counting on the possible loophole you already pointed ; pledges and ads aren't sales, so it don't count, right ?
Now that there's the installs threshold, they can goes to the company/team/creator and innocently ask how they are earning because, "you see, you've more than 200,000 installs, so perhaps that you have some fees to pay".

Plus, the more I think about it, the more I see an opening for a dick move in the future.

They introduce the number of installs now, with something that feel balanced. Then, when everyone have dealt with this threshold and accepted that the number of installs is a valid criteria, they make a second announcement, removing the earning threshold, lowering it significantly, or why not pass to US$ 20,000/month.
It's higher than US$ 200,000/year, but with the way apps business works, I'm almost certain that there's a lot of small companies who make less than US$ 200,000 annually, but have few months each year above the US$ 20,000. And they expect it to pass smoothly because, "don't be afraid, remember that you need a given number of installs first, so if you're small, you're protected".

This smells of something that was dreamed up in a board meeting to pad the bottom line and figure it out later - that's what they pay the legal counsel for.
Yes and no. They have constraints, their users need to be know the exact conditions three months before they apply. Therefore making an announce now count only if the said conditions are definitive. Saying, even just in substance, "we will do something that will more or less looks like this", just make the delay longer.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[Sorry for the double post]

Patreon is a subscriber service, so Unity will charge any fees directly to them, not the dev.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It's funny because Patreon isn't either a distributor.

I would like to see the face of Steam/itch.io/dlsite boards right now. You make US$ 180,000/year through Patreon, the complement coming from their three platforms, and it's them, not you, who would have to pay the full fees.
I'm sure that this idea make them happy.

What, again, goes in the "we want ads sweet money" side.

What is still going to count to the runtime are any hardware changes, no matter if the game is re-installed or not.
More precisely, it's probably any change in the computer computed signature.
Identify an unique computer is generally be done by getting different information from the system, putting them together and then hashing the result to limit the size. But the signature will change every time a significant part of the hardware is changed, or anytime you've to reinstall the OS.
This is more secured than looking if there's already some data present in the hard drive/system (the registry for Windows by example). You can cheat this and run a small script that add the data before your first install, but you can't cheat what component your computer have.

Side note: I'm not sure to what extend the signature would stay put when you update the OS. What would obviously be an issue with Android/iOS that are automatically updated, and Linux that users regularly update.

Yes they can. Look at Unreal Engine. When publishing a game or application developed with Unreal Engine, Epic Games takes a 5% royalty fee from gross revenue after the product's lifetime gross exceeds $1 million (USD). Which is basically a sales tax.
It's also something relatively frequent. Many service (not necessarily online ones) providers define their price case by case, depending on the earning related to their service. It's just that for Unity and Unreal it's not possible to know the earning beforehand.

Reactions: Hagatagar

Emoon

May 4, 2017
Some folks seem to forget one point here. Certainly most devs will never reach the threshold, but if they do, this whole change adds an almost unpredictable cost factor to your monthly cash flow. There is no way to predict user installs nor to predict possible refunds which isn't quite uncommon in the adult genre. In addition to percentage cuts of the various storefronts you are in for quite some fluctuations which may be compensable for bigger studios or projects but certainly not for smaller studios or teams.

This whole change is reckless and shows once more how disconnected Unity has become. For your own health switch engines if you're still early in development and if not prepare and talk about the future (1 year+) of the project with your team, if you have one. Don't expect to run under the threshold, things can escalate quickly. Even tho it's a unrealistic example given the genre most here operate in but just think about it for one second, one streamer with a sizable following discovering your game and the next morning your sales quadrupled.

Last edited:

Emoon

May 4, 2017
I just see this, if they manage to get away with it, as a massive shitstorm in the future.
After all, we have one previous model of what can happen over time: The horse armor in oblivion. Which directly lead us to DLCs and micropayments.

I am not taking any fucking risks this time, I'll do everything I can to try and stop this shit. At least, if I fail, I know I'll have tried all I could to stop it from happening again.

I've mailed one of my contacts in the Luxemburg's DG cnect of the EU Commission, on top of the twitter thread with selected keywords/hashtags. I did some work there in the past, and since I left in very good terms, hopefully, that'll lead to a kick in the hornet's nest.

If that doesn't work, god be with us as to what the future business models for softwares are going to be like.
Won't hurt to bring this up but i doubt there is much they can do about it, but who knows.

One thing developers can do is to simply not use Unity anymore. There are a lot of Unity projects out there who would be better off with other engines, this happens mostly when developers decide what engine to use based on their skills instead of what would be best for the project.
Just looking at the Downloads page here (weight-rated based on Unity) there are more regular VN games who would be better off using Ren'Py than games who actually utilize the potential of Unity. Funny enough a lot of them neglecting the fact that they indirectly hurt themself with this decision. A lot of people are hesitant when downloading a Unity/Unreal VN since they don't know how good the interface is done, compared to a Ren'Py VN where they know what they can expect.

But yeah i don't want to go too far off-topic here, as mentioned earlier the best decision right now is to not use Unity and take a look at the alternative like GoDot or Unreal (if they aim for a 3D project) both engines excel Unity anyway in their respective fields.

Bixbite

Jul 12, 2019
At this point I'm quite convinced that their goals are:
- monetize the data they gather through tracking installs ( they have merged ironsource tech into the engine last year, which is basically corporate spyware )
- create fear/anxiety based incentives to get small indies to upgrade to unity pro ( since most small projects fail, a 2000$ yearly subscription would be the most unity could hope to get from them )
- go after mobile platform developers that get around paying fees with their business models
- push through some comparatively less insane change in the near future, that would still sound insane otherwise ( door in your face technique )

Laiga

Mar 8, 2023
They added Subscriptions to the revenue threshold so if you make a total of $200k+ through things like Patreon, Fantia, or Fanbox, you are liable to start being charged a fee.
At the start they said this fee would apply retroactively, but after realizing this was legally impossible, they said it would only apply to installations after Jan 1, 2024.
Still though imagine paying a fee on every single game ever released on your Patreon every time someone installs it.

Best to start moving onto other engines like Godot for 2D, Unreal for 3D, and RPGMaker n Ren'Py for rpgs/vns.

Last edited:

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
It seems like they are chasing short term profit even if it will hurt long term profits.
Projects too far into development will have no choice to continue as changing engines is hard (I imagine). But any project just starting out or in planning stages will actively avoid Unity as a game engine since you don't know how much money you'll be spending and you might even owe unity more than you made in sales/ads/other monetization scheme.
So I'm guessing for the next one - three years their profits will soar (maybe they are going to sell the company?) only for them to crash afterwards.

Deleted member 2755092

Aug 20, 2020
I just did some calculations. Since I believe it is impossible for Unity to know how much profit has been made by a dev, they'll more than likely do averages per countries, and calculate it that way.

As a result, assuming this is true, if one's inclined to bring troubles to a studio, to reach 200K installs (using sandboxes and images to get new UIDs for examples, and spoof ips as well), one only needs to manage 537.63 installs per day, for a year. Minus all the real sales, I recon a team of 50 dedicated people (a little over 10 installs a day each if the game has 0 sale), could surprise a studio when the bill arrives from Unity after a year. Obviously, if a game has let's say 500 patreons, and releases one update each month, that's already that many less to do in theory. The bigger the game, the easier it becomes to add cost to a studio.

That's assuming Unity is using hardware UIDs to know if the game's already been installed or not. But at this time, this would seem like the most likely solution. The UIDs are collected, encrypted, then sent to a Unity server. During each installs, they are sent again, and if one of them matches, the Unity will not count that install, as it'll be a re-install. That would be, in my opinion, the easiest way for them to do it.

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
Unity backtracked on counting WebGL (games run straight from the browser) as installations. They also made an exemption for charity bundles.
How exactly they'll ensure what counts or not as an installation and how they'll figure the source of each is still up in the air, it's based solely on "Our means will work, trust us, for realsies"

Q: How are you going to collect installs?
A: We leverage our own proprietary data model.

No mention of whether fully offline games will actually have some "backdoor" to phone home and tell Unity servers a install has just happened.

I also liked , comparing this shit idea with how Unreal works. The tldr: Unreal makes more profit once you pass $1 million revenue. Unity wants your money whether you're being successful or not.

I also : "Unity is giving a secret pass to companies that switch to use Unity’s advertising solution." - also reported and;; “CEO is in talks with some Unity folks. The impression is this decision came from very high up in Unity from an exec who “had no idea how bad of an idea it was” (wouldn't be surprised if it was johnny fuckyoucello himself that had the idea)

Stock prices barely moved downwards thus far. Whatever happened in August this year, or April/May 22, hurt them a lot more than this.

thaeral

Sep 21, 2019
The multiple comments talking about the legality of this, that it reeks of a short-term profit grab, the product of a boardroom meeting; I believe you're all correct in your assumptions. We're talking about John Riccitiello. Destroying Electronic Arts from a consumer's perspective was his last job, and he was lauded for it from a business perspective.

I had no idea he was leading Unity. My whole point of seeing if there was a post on this was because whether this current policy is bad or not, it's just the beginning. Riccitiello led policies will likely be good for their numbers going forward, but it will be brutal for consumers. We've just seem to become very accepting of abusive companies to keep getting what we think we want. This discussion of "alternatives to Unity" and getting eyes and action on them was what I felt was needed. And I was happy to see y'all were, of course, way ahead of me.

Nov 9, 2022
I'm joining a bit late to the conversation, but let me add my five cents to this conversation.

SHORT Comprehensive explanation of what is happening:
  1. Unity was bought by IronSource.
  2. They are an Ad mediation & ad network company for mobile games.
  3. This "fee update" has been planned since that acquisition/merger.
  4. Unity/Ironsource is mostly interested in building an ecosystem on the mobile gaming industry.
  5. This new payment system is just a way of pushing people to integrate their ad network. Most likely, everyone using Ironsource (which will come by default as a Unity plugin) will get an excemption to pay those fees.
  6. They are keeping things ambiguous because they don't want to exclude PC games.
  7. Most likely, they won't be able to do anything to Patreon. If Unity asks to Patreon what's the income generated by that person, Patreon can just say "nope, we must protect privacy of our clients".
EXTENDED:

In February 2022 Apple fucked the Mobile Ecosystem. Apple implemented privacy policies to "protect" the user's "privacy". However, that's just the official thing. What they were doing was a very dirty move to block all user data where they were intermediares. By doing this, they gave a big FU to all ad networks.
Why they did this? Because Apple was developing their own ad network and did not want to give to their competitors what they need to keep their business.

The biggest Ad Networks had to counteract:
  • AppLovin (top ad mediation) built bought MoPub.
  • IronSource bought (merged with) Unity
  • And publishers started building their ad mediation and software tools.
The whole idea of the merger is that IronSource wanted Unity because they had their own ad network: UnityAds. It was deficient, but came by default with Unity. That was the wet dream of every ad network.
After the merger, they knew that sooner or later IronSource had to start pushing developers to integrate IronSource. Since "pulling" strategies are not working, they are going for a more aggressive approach: Integrate our Ad Network OR pay fees.

By doing this, what they want is to regain control of the users' data. If EVERY mobile dev has Ironsource ad network integrated to monetize their games, Ironsource can control the CPI -cost per installation- in UA -user acquisition campaigns- in mobile games.

This is how the ad industry was working before the big FU from Apple. Publishers were able to make hypersegmentated campaigns to attract only the most profitable users of their competitors. Without access to that granular data, the costs of acquiring a user become stratospheric. By regaining control of the data, they can get more money from the publishers acquisition campaigns promoted in their ad network. This is where the real money is.

IMHO how this will end:
I think they have announced this conditions that sound totally unreasonable to get a complete adverse reaction from the indie dev community. To me, it feels that they are going to step back... but not totally. Instead of sticking their dick and going balls deep, in a few weeks they will come with something more "comprehensible" under the claim that "we heard you developers, we're on your side, but to keep this great engine -ad some marketing bullshit here- we must make sacrifices". And developers will be like "yey, we won this battle, we've been heard, Unity is cool, we understand we need to revisit the fees" and then they will put whatever fees they initially planned.

Why I think Patreon and Adult games should not worry:
First, because adult games are not their busines... and it's not very big either.
Maybe some patreons get a few hundred K's a month. But (pure speculiation) if we get anual income of all adult games, there must be around 10M to 50M $/year industry. That's what a big mobile company gets a week... with one of their games.
I don't see anyone in Ironsource wasting their time dealing with Patreon pulling data of how many revenue each of the porn games are making.
and if they do, Patreon can pull a "sorry, we must protect our user privacy. If you have a problem with our client, go to your client, or get the order of a judge"
And if that was not enough, Ironsource cannot and do not want any adult developer to integrate IronSource. non-adult Publishers usually don't want their games promoted on these kind of games/sites. Therefore, adult ad networks are a complete different world compared to mobile ad networks.

What about games on steam?
The farmer does not usually care about steping on the ants when he's going to milk the cows.
Most likely, if they can grab something there, I don't think they will complain. But I don't see Unity getting loads of $$ from small indie devs either. Probably they will think of other ways to create exceptions for those developers. Or maybe they won't give a shit.
In all likelihood, it could make sense from a marketing perspective since covering themselves with oil then lighting a match through the ad network is a better way of getting attention as opposed to a potentially better worded statement.

I don't understand why they would want this kind of marketing for the fee or ad network when they could email accounts / add a note saying something like "We have updated our terms of service and business model," or "We would like to introduce the new benefits we added to UnityAds," or add a note with the invoice saying something about their ad network and suits will probably see it and people are less likely to throw a shitstorm. Course, I don't understand most companies' decisions nowadays.

Everyone will forget about it in a few weeks, their target audience here (games like Genshin & Fate) will keep using Unity, and indie and h games generally might not be unaffected, but they definitely destroyed their trust with indie devs and I doubt anyone will use unity again aside from mobile game devs.

Personally, I think they lost a decently profitable market with a move they didn't need to make, but they will likely more than make up for it

SadGhost123

Jan 27, 2018
Only if you earn $200,000 in a year on the game and have over 200,000 lifetime installs.
Right now that effects, at most, maybe, if patreon subscriptions count, 6 developers of titles you'd find on this site.

If you are not charging anything for a game, you will never earn $200,000 in one year on it and, therefore, don't have to worry about the runtime install fee.
Its 200,000 INSTALLS (including reinstalls)

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Its 200,000 INSTALLS (including reinstalls)
Yes, I know. I've said that. Here, I'll use font styles for the people in the back:

200,000 installs (and reinstalls) during the lifetime of the title
AND
$200,000 minimum earnings of the title in the previous 12 months

It's not one or the other - it must be both.

Just like I have stated, I am pretty sure a sizeable number of developers with titles on here have hit the install threshold. However, only about 6 developers with games on here probably have also hit the earnings threshold.

That means it would be in their best interest to simply spend $2,000 each year for a Unity Pro license and then the thresholds move to 1,000,000 installs (which, of the 6, I would say most, if not all have) and $1,000,000 in earnings on the title in the previous 12 months. At that point, only one may have actually hit both of those higher thresholds - Edef (Heat) and Adeptus Steve (Wild Life).

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Just like I have stated, I am pretty sure a sizeable number of developers with titles on here have hit the install threshold.
I'm tempted to say that most of them, if not all, did it.

Baal/ (Super Powered 2) is relatively known, yet still small with only 637 patrons for between 1K and 4K by month. But, assuming that 1 out of 100 players decide to pledge (what is already a high estimate), it mean 63,700 installs by update. Three updates, and he's already over the install threshold.
With Super Powered (that was made with Ren'Py), he needed 45 updates, with at least one bugfix by update, sometimes up to four. So it's what ? Counting an average of 1.5 bugfix it's still more than 7 millions installs.
Yet only based on my high estimate for the patron/player ratio, and for a dev that is far to hit the earning threshold.

And, the more I think about it, the more the issue lie here.
Edef have 8,869 patrons what, with the same high ratio lead to 886,900 installs by update.
He can afford the fees, but what about a new coming dev ? He'll starts low, but the install pills up. The day his game finally get the support he deserve, and he hit the earning threshold, it will be what ? 3, 4, more surely something like 10, millions installs that he'll have to pay in one go...

Plus there's a point I noticed that no one talk about, because it's not about money. As dev you'll have to works online, with a tolerance for three consecutive days offline.
You're boss want to know what you are doing. Except that he's not your boss and it's you who'll have to pay him if you do a good job. This feel at least as much concerning as their new fees.
And, incidentally, there's again some legal reservation regarding this point.

That means it would be in their best interest to simply spend $2,000 each year for a Unity Pro license and then the thresholds move to 1,000,000 installs (which, of the 6, I would say most, if not all have) and $1,000,000 in earnings on the title in the previous 12 months.
It's only the change in the earning threshold that is interesting here, since, as I said, I really feel like at least half the Unity games available here already broke the installs one.

Hmmm, let's see... TheDevian do you know the number of installs for Bonds of Blood ?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian