Surplouf

May 5, 2020
Well the two latter ones can be found in Polish so I'm assuming they might work in Ukrainian and Belarussian too. But you're right, it's pretty probable that the author is Russian. I didn't notice the first one but it's quite interesting. I agree that it's a horrible translation but I disagree that you have to choose a corresponding idiom in the target language since not always there is one. Sometimes translators translate by sense in one place and then compensate several sentences later by putting some other idiom where in the source text there was none. I would go with ”Each more gorgeous than the next” and call it a day.
The second is in French too:
Tu est encore en train de parler par énigme. Dis nous en plus.

For the two others. I don't think he exist in French.

For the translation i already see worst. For me his not so bad.

All the time i see people whining about the quality of the English. Do you realise how is hard learning and speaking (or writing in this case) a foreign language?

I have a response ready for this situation when people complain about my English. Write me in French at the same level you ask me for my English and i try hard to make an effort in my side.

It is now over 10 years since I started to launch this challenge. No one has picked it up yet.

znar25

Apr 25, 2021
6.5e for Win stable. No problems when the exe is run as admin.

Other.
I have multiple playthrough saves for various paths.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

TRANT

Aug 22, 2017
Am I dumb and blind or did went something wrong uploading the extendend version 0.6.5 here?

I am wondering because the game request threat is moved to complete but this threat here already named basic and provides still the links to the 0.6.5 basic version of the game...

SilentRunning

Feb 19, 2021

For the two others. I don't think he exist in French.

For the translation i already see worst. For me his not so bad.

All the time i see people whining about the quality of the English. Do you realise how is hard learning and speaking (or writing in this case) a foreign language?

I have a response ready for this situation when people complain about my English. Write me in French at the same level you ask me for my English and i try hard to make an effort in my side.

It is now over 10 years since I started to launch this challenge. No one has picked it up yet.
Obviously it is hard to write in a foreign language. But isn't the goal to improve? Or do you just stop trying to improve?

The difficulty of writing in a non-native language doesn't somehow mean the reader can overlook the problems.

I watch a lot of foreign movies and TV shows (foreign from my point of view), but if the sub titles are bad then it just doesn't work. Most of these visual novels require a lot of time reading so it isn't any different. If the translation is too awkward then it just wears out the reader.

The fact that the translation is difficult to read or not very well done isn't a slight on the writer. Sometimes people need help. There comes a point where a lot of visual novels need to find a proof reader that can help clean up the writing.

The fact of the matter is that they typical visual novel has a LOT of text. The translation and writing doesn't have to be perfect, but if it is uncanny or odd then it really detracts from the whole project.

We aren't talking about basic communication here. A person's mastery of a language doesn't really matter when people are tying to communicate. But when you are trying to create a piece of art that requires a person to spend multiple hours reading your text then it does start to matter more and more.

fluffcube

Nov 12, 2017
Well, I just stumbled upon this game, didn’t read the whole thread and I just assumed it is common knowledge author is Russian (since it is obvious from reading all those literally translated Russian idioms). Let’s pick one of my early saves.
View attachment 1429747
“Lord… all are good as a selection” – very weird for English ear, easily recognizable Google translation of Russian idiom «все хороши как на подбор» - very common since Pushkin. To be honest I spent some time picking appropriate translation and the best I came up with is “each of them is as beautiful as another one” or something. And is very clumsy one. The way to translate idiom is to pick corresponding idiom which is hell of a task.
View attachment 1429755
While “talking in riddles” («говоришь загадками») is grammatically correct phrase it is not nearly as common in English, as it is in Russian.

View attachment 1429757

“In life, anything can happen” – yet another example of literal Google translation of Russian idiom («Всякое в жизни случается (бывает)»).

I don’t know where am I in terms of progression, I just chased away that douche husband of Carol’s. But so far I encountered dozens of literal translations of Russian idioms and I wonder why not to present Russian original. I have my guesses though=)
What you're saying is fair enough, but honestly that kind of thing doesn't really bother me for some reason. At least the dialogue/characters are decently written. Half of these games have the most annoying dialogue where the dev clearly thinks its hilarious. Or the anime inspired games where the characters are literally just copy/pasted archetypes.

Surplouf

May 5, 2020
Obviously it is hard to write in a foreign language. But isn't the goal to improve? Or do you just stop trying to improve?

The difficulty of writing in a non-native language doesn't somehow mean the reader can overlook the problems.

I watch a lot of foreign movies and TV shows (foreign from my point of view), but if the sub titles are bad then it just doesn't work. Most of these visual novels require a lot of time reading so it isn't any different. If the translation is too awkward then it just wears out the reader.

The fact that the translation is difficult to read or not very well done isn't a slight on the writer. Sometimes people need help. There comes a point where a lot of visual novels need to find a proof reader that can help clean up the writing.

The fact of the matter is that they typical visual novel has a LOT of text. The translation and writing doesn't have to be perfect, but if it is uncanny or odd then it really detracts from the whole project.

We aren't talking about basic communication here. A person's mastery of a language doesn't really matter when people are tying to communicate. But when you are trying to create a piece of art that requires a person to spend multiple hours reading your text then it does start to matter more and more.
The highest level of the literacy is poetry for me. You know why?

Poetry is full freedom.
Freedom to create is hown word
Create from nothing only for the beauty of is sound
Poetry is not only rime
Is do not measure with a rule
But with a soul
Poetry is a pun
Or juggle with these
Make you a clown
where the clown is king
Like the king's fool
The poet can tell the truth that hurts
All wrapped up in a word game

English is not my first language. I do not master it enough to make good poetry.

But I still manage to convey the idea.

The highest level of literary art does not attach importance to the perfect writing but to the emotion that one conveys with it.

Now, I invite you to take up my challenge and write to me in French with the same level as you require for English.

Because the texts which are illegible to you. Do not give me any problem of understanding.

Reactions: Hoboy

SilentRunning

Feb 19, 2021
The highest level of the literacy is poetry for me. You know why?

Poetry is full freedom.
Freedom to create is hown word
Create from nothing only for the beauty of is sound
Poetry is not only rime
Is do not measure with a rule
But with a soul
Poetry is a pun
Or juggle with these
Make you a clown
where the clown is king
Like the king's fool
The poet can tell the truth that hurts
All wrapped up in a word game

English is not my first language. I do not master it enough to make good poetry.

But I still manage to convey the idea.

The highest level of literary art does not attach importance to the perfect writing but to the emotion that one conveys with it.

Now, I invite you to take up my challenge and write to me in French with the same level as you require for English.

Because the texts which are illegible to you. Do not give me any problem of understanding.
I am not you. I am me. Your experience is your experience. My experience is my experience. Just because you are satisfied with these translations does not mean I also must be satisfied.

I am allowed to have my own standards, and I don't have to lower them just because you have low expectations.

Hoboy

Jul 24, 2017
I am not you. I am me. Your experience is your experience. My experience is my experience. Just because you are satisfied with these translations does not mean I also must be satisfied.

I am allowed to have my own standards, and I don't have to lower them just because you have low expectations.
I will say that not all english speakers even agree on phrasing and interpretations. British and Americans have different interpretations of the same phrases, and it is generally agreed universally that the hardest (and most illogical) language to interpret is English because of it's so many borrowed words from other languages. it's a bastardation of celtic/saxon and romance languages that is extremely weird for speakers of other language to understand.

Low standards in your case means you should just skip all games not made by english speaking devs. And hopefully differentiate between the british and the american interpretation of the language...

Last edited:

SilentRunning

Feb 19, 2021
I will say that not all english speakers even agree on phrasing and interpretations. British and Americans have different interpretations of the same phrases, and it is generally agreed universally that the hardest (and most illogical) language to interpret is English because of it's so many borrowed words from other languages. it's a bastardation of celtic/saxon and romance languages that is extremely weird for speakers of other language to understand.

Low standards in your case means you should just skip all games not made by non-english speaking devs. And hopefully differentiate between the british and the american interpretation of the language...
That is true. When the writing seems unnatural and robotic, which sadly I do think it often does seem like that in this case, I can't get past it.

I am sure you also have a standard where something is just too hard to read. Our standards are just different, but each of us does in fact have a standard. Mine is mine, and yours is yours. One isn't better than the other. They are just different.

I am not saying you shouldn't enjoy this. If you do great. I am happy for you.

A lot of people in this thread have said the translation is bad, but that it doesn't matter to them. Or that, yes, the translation is bad, but lots of other games are worse. In both of these instances they aren't denying it is bad. They are just okay with the fact that it is bad.

I simply can't force myself to enjoy something that sounds unnatural and uncanny. Nothing I can do about that.

A lot of games eventually are edited. I only came by here to see if there had been any work on improving the translation. Clearly there hasn't. So I will move on.

I am glad you like the game. Not everyone likes the same things. There is nothing wrong with that. We all have different interests and standards. That is just life.

firevoodoo

Aug 26, 2017
That’s interesting! I have a theory as to “why”.

Russian is full of all kinds of European loanwords since Peter the Great. Especially French ones. Every educated Russian in XIX cent. first learned French to talk to his peers and then Russian – to communicate with servants and serfs. During Napoleon’s invasion both armies not only looked alike, their commanding officers spoke the same language. If you are Russian historian of that era, you better know French to read original state papers, battle plans etc. It took second invasion of 1853 (when France was in more modern role of British lapdog) for Russia to start abolishing French as de-facto state language. Thus Russian is full of French loanwords and grammar constructs, we call gaulisms (гализмы). The one you cite is clearly an example.

Thanks for sharing!

Amahl Farouk

May 13, 2018
I am going to bang everything that moves and go down like a burning zeppelin, content in the knowledge that not one girl was left unploughed!

To cheat perchance to dream! Onwards to oblivion! And don't spare the horses!

• Haha
Reactions: toshi_ro

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
Edit: Ignore this post I'm talking out my ass

The direction of the Vlad subplot feels really ass-backwards.

To get the call from Vlad you have to find the right connections while researching on the computer. This sends you on a mission to dig up more information.

Problem is if you aren't on Kim's path you can't get the information anyway because she kicks you out. Meaning to get the information you have to ignore Ashley and Sara's paths. Vlads progress being tied to ignoring Sara and Ashley makes it a bad subplot.

Edit: ( You can get both by avoiding Kim's second encounter. )
Maybe somebody has pointed this out already in which case, I apologize. What you need to remember here is that there are multiple paths to compromising Pollard. This one doesn't pan out for you if you are on Sara's path. However, you should rest assured that Sara fans will have an opportunity to succeed on one of the other paths.

Reactions: bananabrown

bananabrown

Oct 18, 2019
Maybe somebody has pointed this out already in which case, I apologize. What you need to remember here is that there are multiple paths to compromising Pollard. This one doesn't pan out for you if you are on Sara's path. However, you should rest assured that Sara fans will have an opportunity to succeed on one of the other paths.
I appreciate your post, but don't worry I managed to get both Sara and the information on Pollard thanks to another post that cleared something up for me. It's true though, I did forget there would probably be more leads in the future, due to my initial unfounded disappointment.

Thanks all the same. (y)

Reactions: Glooskabe

Purple_Urkle

Oct 24, 2018
i didn't even bother scrollin up or backsearching to see who would even bring up proper grammar. i mean seriously bruh. i'd rather have a few m!sp3113d words here and there and have a functional game with a few bugs. thats already a given. it's nothing to go all Karen out on the devs or whomever. It is however quite amusing to assume that everyone should type or speak in English. If you really did research on majority of the creators on this site or any of them for the most part they are mainly created by Engrish second or 3rd language. bet you'd probably break your keyboard if one of these devs put a #string to the links so that when your IP downloads any of them you get a special version but instead of a language you pride yourself in. its a language that a few of us stare at for days. imagine downloading the game and having to source the luas and stick :'s or ; into random spaces.

point is always be thankful for these guys, sure some of them are special ;p but you can't be a donkey just cuz your fleshlight surged and you sent a shock to your nuts. not our fault you still running that crap rx480 4gb.

Troy9000

Jun 4, 2020
Why does the MC never take his socks off during sex? Is there something wrong with his feet? :unsure:
The MC has WEBBED FEET , he may be related to Chloe the teen prostitute from Austin Powers , this deformity demands that he wear socks even to bed and during sex.

4.30 star(s) 198 Votes