4.20 star(s) 125 Votes

MrD812

Oct 24, 2021
So this is it...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
This is how I write Unleashed. What's in between the <> is the description of the scene. I often don't need a description because the script tells me what's going on. Sugar is obviously surprised with a "What?!" so I render Sugar reacting to Cin(namon). I write out the script and try to keep ahead of the rendering enough to always have rendering work to do, since posing is where all the time is spent. But then things change. Often they change a lot. As I'm going through rendering I'm editing, coming up with new scenes, new lines.

In this particular scene I originally wrote them going out to the car, then fade to home. But then I'm thinking of how Oh Long Johnson wants to present himself as this badass and I loved this thought that he's certain his car is a chick magnet and he has this way of just glossing over the reality of the situation that this is the first girl who's been in his car. So usually if you see a render with a, b, c in the name, that's a render that was not originally planned. The * just means it's ready for batch render. Before the render is complete that line is red, after it's complete it's purple.

So for me with Unleashed it all starts with the characters. It's supremely important to know who the characters are beforehand. They can evolve and change over time, of course, but writing them is a matter of just knowing who they are and how they would react to any particular situation. Then it's just about putting them into situations and writing not how you want them to respond, but how their character would respond, if that makes sense.

Also, as a writing professor of mine told me a long time ago, writing is editing. But it's really important to write something down. Anything. Just write it down. Then the editing does not stop until I hit the "Build" button on renpy.

Good luck with your project!
Mean No offence, in my view(alone) this is more of an R-Rated comedy soup-opera.
Enjoy the Artwork mostly, Well done indeed!

Mamonetti

Apr 4, 2020
have you using a mod before?
did you a clean install of game and actual mod if?
I've installed Joker WT mod. What I can't remember is if I used this one or OEJ's before this update, so I guess maybe my saves are not 100% standard based on your comment.

bilbado

Jun 5, 2021
I can see your point here, but i respectfully disagree. Not about the importance of focus but on the scarce relevance of this detour. Yes, it felt like a silly side story and it's perfectly understandable to feel frustrated by the overall pace of the releases, but this last release, albeit rather silly in the form, introduced us to some element that i'm sure will play a role later, at least in Angel's route.

Yes, if it was a 2 hours worth of playtime update and the stripclub sequence was just a part of it it would have been easier to digest, but it wasn't a mistep per se.

We know Carbon Blue had a rather complex year behind and let's see what future brings. We are not in Game of Thrones territory here, where Martin is writing spin offs and he doesn't give a fuck of the next instalment of ASoIaF anymore.
My issue was not about how long it took to release, or how short it was. I think that about 40% of this update was par for CB greatness and the remaining 60% was bland. I also think that the story could have been told in about 40% of the renders. I originally suggested a redistribution of the work so that more of it was focused on the Shannon scene than the set up scenes. The same amount of renders only utilized differently. But that isn't necessary. Simply removing 60% of this update with only minor edits for context would have produced better quality by trimming excess. If the main draw of this update was meant to be CB's witty dialogue then brevity is the soul of wit.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
I've installed Joker WT mod. What I can't remember is if I used this one or OEJ's before this update, so I guess maybe my saves are not 100% standard based on your comment.
thats maybe - maybe- the reason for
cant say for sure because i dont use wt mods
they altering the game files - so you have to wait for updated mods in that case
little explain : the original script at line xx says yy
the modded script added maybe something so that yy is not anymore valid
most times it affects the saves too
so in your case i think you have to start over - or try updated mod
greetings

Reactions: Mamonetti

MrD812

Oct 24, 2021
Are you using the regular version, not Android? Did you modify it? Did you install it right? There is nothing in the code that would stop it from going to 0.5v3 at the end of 0.5v2.

Uh... that's new to me. I've not heard anyone else having that problem. Which title? Are you talking about the animated title? A title from another update?

The game is my sense of humor. If you don't like it, don't play it, because there's more to come. You don't have to like every joke, but if you didn't laugh or you weren't entertained in this update then you may as well abandon ship now... because there is some shit coming.
Thank You for sharing this, helps me finalize choice.
Take Good Care (y)

Misosoc

Sep 28, 2020
Amazing renders, great story line..... Last update was June 2021 and 9 months later the update we get is 15 mins and not much content? I don't bash on these games since these are mostly side projects for devs but damn son...... It this was a 2 month or less update then it is fine but 9 months....

matschbirne

Aug 24, 2019
I did a fresh start with the last update, played around a bit.
i like all girls as they are and hope you continue your good work.
just can't decide which one I like more, they simply have their own charm...i wanna cuddle all from them:love:

Reactions: CarbonBlue

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jan 27, 2017
Uh... that's new to me. I've not heard anyone else having that problem. Which title? Are you talking about the animated title? A title from another update?
most likely he's talking about l.7630 in script.rpy $ renpy.movie_cutscene("anim/ep5v3/intro_05v3.webm")

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
most likely he's talking about l.7630 in script.rpy $ renpy.movie_cutscene("anim/ep5v3/intro_05v3.webm")
Ok, thanks. Wouldn't figure it'd do that with the black screens before and after, but I need to remove the audio and make that a music track anyways, so I'll change it with an update soon.

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
The game is my sense of humor. If you don't like it, don't play it, because there's more to come. You don't have to like every joke, but if you didn't laugh or you weren't entertained in this update then you may as well abandon ship now... because there is some shit coming.
Eh, I was "entertained" and so was the guy that I was replying to, at least a little. I was just shocked at how little of what I love about Unleashed is actually present in this update. Ethan even says "chill with the memes tonight" to Carter yet it seems like almost every "joke" is a member berries-esque reference, and those aren't funny to me. Ethan saying "you didn't even wash your hands" under his breath about the guy in the bathroom (a joke that's actually a joke and one I liked) is much more in line with the rest of the humor in Unleashed than a tirade of meme references.

Honestly, I should have chosen my words better than "humor" but I didn't really know what else to call it. Your brand of humor is all over the rest of the game but isn't really present in this update much, I feel. I think that's the issue at hand.

yltohawk

Mar 19, 2019
Amazing renders, great story line..... Last update was June 2021 and 9 months later the update we get is 15 mins and not much content? I don't bash on these games since these are mostly side projects for devs but damn son...... It this was a 2 month or less update then it is fine but 9 months....
I understand your frustration, I just want to interject something here about Covid which is what CB had. He was in ICU for one week that is all he stated. I had Covid as well did my stint in ICU as well, with 6 weeks on Oxygen and needing 24 hour care for 2 months. I suffered from thrombosis due to blood clots in my right arm almost requiring amputation. and after 6 months after, I still have edema in both legs requiring them to be wrapped twice weekly by a visiting nurse. I am now at 75% of where I was before Covid and still get out of breath at times just doing housework. Just saying we sometimes need to walk in another mans shoes.

yltohawk

Mar 19, 2019
I watched my brothers death from Covid while I was in ICU at the time,,, He had blood clot to the heart due to Covid as well, and they asked me to pull the plug. Not looking for sympathy just a little understanding. If CB is 9 mo. for his next update then we all have a right to bitch.

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
I watched my brothers death from Covid while I was in ICU at the time,,, He had blood clot to the heart due to Covid as well, and they asked me to pull the plug. Not looking for sympathy just a little understanding. If CB is 9 mo. for his next update then we all have a right to bitch.
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Blood clots were one of the biggest things the doctors were worried about when I was there.

I do like the music. I like all the ones that have the trap beats in them. More of those please. Those slap.
I did want to thank you for that compliment! I loved the music, too. For that opening music I asked egram to give me something that rocked, and he gave me some good stuff but not quite what I wanted. Then I told him I want Rage Against the Machine. And he just nailed it. That first piece is called Rage Against the Stripper Pole.

I really hope to use him again for the next update, though that's going to depend a little on the ol' Patreon. :)

bilbado

Jun 5, 2021
Eh, I was "entertained" and so was the guy that I was replying to, at least a little. I was just shocked at how little of what I love about Unleashed is actually present in this update. Ethan even says "chill with the memes tonight" to Carter yet it seems like almost every "joke" is a member berries-esque reference, and those aren't funny to me. Ethan saying "you didn't even wash your hands" under his breath about the guy in the bathroom (a joke that's actually a joke and one I liked) is much more in line with the rest of the humor in Unleashed than a tirade of meme references.

Honestly, I should have chosen my words better than "humor" but I didn't really know what else to call it. Your brand of humor is all over the rest of the game but isn't really present in this update much, I feel. I think that's the issue at hand.
As that guy you were speaking to, I can confirm. I'm a fan of all the humor of the previous releases. Just not anything said in this update by Ethan and Carter. When they weren't expo dumping they were just tropey and cringe. Like their dialogue could be replaced by "Insert 40 year old Nerd trope dialogue," and nothing would be lost. Maybe this is just one side of CB's humor and it's the first time that it's come up in game? Either way when I say it was cringe I mean bad cringe. Sort of like there are characters you hate, and characters you love to hate. I cringed, but I didn't love that I cringed.

bananabrown

Oct 18, 2019
I played a fresh run when the update came out and I feel the new content fit very nicely. I really enjoyed the character reveal, with the slow tension build up. After playing so many VN's with a gang/mafia story I was like "oh no.. not again". Then when the reveal hit I didn't stop smiling until it was all over.

There's one piece of the game I wasn't fond of though in any of my runs: the school section. Just like with mafia/gang stories, these feel over used. Being introduced to a teacher that's so sexually focused right out of the gate felt like an attempt to make the school visit worth while, but it just felt forced and unatural.

I only point this out because other than that one example CB has managed to make so many mundane seeming situations incredibly entertaining just with his clever character writing and dialogue.

asurada081

Mar 4, 2019
Are you using the regular version, not Android? Did you modify it? Did you install it right? There is nothing in the code that would stop it from going to 0.5v3 at the end of 0.5v2.

Yes I'm playing on pc, also I did modify the game with OEJ mods and upon rechecking it only supports 5v2 so maybe it's the one that stops me from progressing. Thanks for the reply!

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
Yes I'm playing on pc, also I did modify the game with OEJ mods and upon rechecking it only supports 5v2 so maybe it's the one that stops me from progressing. Thanks for the reply!
Since it's overwriting the script file it definitely will prevent you from progressing to the new game content. For now you can use the other wt mod available or you can try the one from koga3 which uses the OEJ mod as a base here

4.20 star(s) 125 Votes