Tool Ren'Py UnRen.bat v1.0.11d - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes

ancienregimele

Sep 27, 2017
Does anyone know what Error no.13 signifies in UnRen? There was a mention of it in this thread quite a while back but the solution didn't appear online here. "Err no 13 Permission denied: u' " is what appears if I attempt to unpack the RPA image packages in RenPy games. It shows up against the title of every picture & for every game I've tried it with.

Deleting UnRen & re-uploading it doesn't help. Deleting the games etc., ditto. Originally this started when I accidentally deleted UnRen v0.91 & then uploaded it again. I had done this before without a problem. I tried it out on the latest update of Anna Exciting Affection & it wouldn't unpack the pics. At one point this message appeared from my AVG security set-up, which had part-way through the process, blocked the app stating, "python.exe is trying to change or delete the file SERGEYSPRITE.PNG in your protected documents folder." (Sergey being one of the characters in AEA).

I've tried unblocking the app but with every game I've tried AVG will pick one pic from 100's & say that python.exe is trying to change or delete this or that. I've even tried unpacking RPA packages with the app still blocked but the only difference is that no message from AVG appears. I still get "Err no 13..." etc. from Unren.

I've searched across the net for this problem but havn't found any proposed solutions, or even what error no 13 signifies. This has, as you might guess, led me back here & any info would be welcome.

[i tried taking a screenshot of the UnRen screen with the error messages but it can't be done].

Last edited:

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Does anyone know what Error no.13 signifies in UnRen? There was a mention of it in this thread quite a while back but the solution didn't appear online here. "Err no 13 Permission denied: u' " is what appears if I attempt to unpack the RPA image packages in RenPy games. It shows up against the title of every picture & for every game I've tried it with.

Deleting UnRen & re-uploading it doesn't help. Deleting the games etc., ditto. Originally this started when I accidentally deleted UnRen v0.91 & then uploaded it again. I had done this before without a problem. I tried it out on the latest update of Anna Exciting Affection & it wouldn't unpack the pics. At one point this message appeared from my AVG security set-up, which had part-way through the process, blocked the app stating, "python.exe is trying to change or delete the file SERGEYSPRITE.PNG in your protected documents folder." (Sergey being one of the characters in AEA).

I've tried unblocking the app but with every game I've tried AVG will pick one pic from 100's & say that python.exe is trying to change or delete this or that. I've even tried unpacking RPA packages with the app still blocked but the only difference is that no message from AVG appears. I still get "Err no 13..." etc. from Unren.

I've searched across the net for this problem but havn't found any proposed solutions, or even what error no 13 signifies. This has, as you might guess, led me back here & any info would be welcome.

[i tried taking a screenshot of the UnRen screen with the error messages but it can't be done].
I have no clue what's going on with your system, and I stopped using AVG years ago; it's still great but Window's Defender has gotten so much better over the last 6 years and AVG bricked one of my computers a few years ago, so I've stayed away since. Do you have Python itself installed on your system? If so, try exempting the Python application on your system, or if you're willing, just turn off AVG altogether when you're doing the extraction. Looks like an antivirus issue for sure as you shouldn't need elevated permissions for anything in the batch file.

ancienregimele

Sep 27, 2017
I have no clue what's going on with your system, and I stopped using AVG years ago; it's still great but Window's Defender has gotten so much better over the last 6 years and AVG bricked one of my computers a few years ago, so I've stayed away since. Do you have Python itself installed on your system? If so, try exempting the Python application on your system, or if you're willing, just turn off AVG altogether when you're doing the extraction. Looks like an antivirus issue for sure as you shouldn't need elevated permissions for anything in the batch file.
Thanks for the info., I'll give that a try. Result....deleted AVG, kept AVG Secure Browser & so far so good. It worked for AEA & unpacked RPA. I'll try relying mainly on Windows Defender & see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
Is there a Mac version for this program?
No, unfortunately, I only work with windows. There is a separate thread for Mac and Linux. If only someone there will help, and so, there is only a window application in python, it will work on any system.

Mr_SmithXoXo

Nov 11, 2020
No, unfortunately, I only work with windows. There is a separate thread for Mac and Linux. If only someone there will help, and so, there is only a window application in python, it will work on any system.
It's ok I found the the Save Editor Online site that let's you mod practically everything just by dropping your save file in it and just change the values of whatever you want.

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Is there a Mac version for this program?
There is like VepsP sayd a Mac and Linux version of UnRen somewhere in this Tools section but the maintainer is absent since last years summer and its out of date for decompiling use. Means dec. doesnt work.
Somewhere in this thread, posted some weeks ago, floats a python rewrite of Unren from myself around(still in test state but works) which runs in every OS with python support. Means also in Mac. If the users sys has py or is able to install and use it... :)
Thais error comes not form Unren, but from the tool(rpatool) inside which is used to unpack RPA archives. Its a access denied error which means the app cannot work on the given path. Either the path is wrong given or you have a problem with the rights(permissions) of it.

Whatever the reason, its on you or your system i'd say. ¯\_ツ_/¯

Last edited:
Reactions: yoyomistro
Dec 6, 2017
Downloaded and thought it was brilliant! Simple to use and does the job quickly, amazing tool and thanks a lot to the guy who build it!

Oct 4, 2020
Sorry for my English
I have a doubt
I have several .rpy files that being the same then the rpyc are different.
I explain the situation after working on a translation
if I add a mod with the files in .rpy format
The sdk creates some .rpyc files (which later in the translation create errors)
the solution is to create myself and add the .rpyc files of the mod to avoid conflicts with the .rpa

the question is ... why being the .rpy the same ... different .rpyc files are created

compare.rar

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
I already know that ... thank you very much ...
what I don't understand is that the .rpy are the same
After looking at it, I have to agree with Madeddy... Figure out a way to ensure the games are using the same version of Ren'Py. That's the thing that makes the most sense to me. I've never compiled a game, only ever decompiled, so I'm not sure where the problem comes in. Do you recompile games into RPAs before distributing the translations?

Oct 4, 2020
After looking at it, I have to agree with Madeddy... Figure out a way to ensure the games are using the same version of Ren'Py. That's the thing that makes the most sense to me. I've never compiled a game, only ever decompiled, so I'm not sure where the problem comes in. Do you recompile games into RPAs before distributing the translations?
The problem is the following
If I create a (translation) patch and a user installs it in an "original" game with .RPA and the "original" MOD in .rpy ... my patch creates problems.
I know the solution ... create the .rpyc of the MOD and add them to the translation patch
I was just asking ... because after testing ... the .rpy were the same but the .rpyc were different and it seemed very strange to me

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
The problem is the following
If I create a (translation) patch and a user installs it in an "original" game with .RPA and the "original" MOD in .rpy ... my patch creates problems.
I know the solution ... create the .rpyc of the MOD and add them to the translation patch
I was just asking ... because after testing ... the .rpy were the same but the .rpyc were different and it seemed very strange to me
Here is a dump of the two compiled files. If you make a merge, you can see that the code itself is identical in them, the difference is only in certain numbers, which, fuck knows what they mean. But, probably, these are important figures for the Ren'py engine itself, probably because of them there is a problem with the translation patch. Who knows. :unsure:

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Here is a dump of the two compiled files. If you make a merge, you can see that the code itself is identical in them, the difference is only in certain numbers, which, fuck knows what they mean. But, probably, these are important figures for the Ren'py engine itself, probably because of them there is a problem with the translation patch. Who knows. :unsure:
These are the uncompiled files. I didn't bother doing a WinMerge of the compiled files, which, come to think of it, might have made sense... but I wouldn't really know what it meant given that I never bother compiling Ren'Py projects and don't know anything about the process... but yea if you do a WinMerge of the uncompiled files it reads them as identical.

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
These are the uncompiled files. I didn't bother doing a WinMerge of the compiled files, which, come to think of it, might have made sense... but I wouldn't really know what it meant given that I never bother compiling Ren'Py projects and don't know anything about the process... but yea if you do a WinMerge of the uncompiled files it reads them as identical.
I checked this yesterday, but I only thought of checking the compiled files and their dump today. I think this is something important that is added during compilation, but only for the engine itself, I didn't notice the decompiler accessing this data.

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
I looked in the files, thought about it and then some. Draw a blank... It's useless. What everyone of us here does because of this riddle about the size discrepancy basically is this:

We run around in the woods and try to find mushrooms with one broken leg, a hand bound behind our back, one eye picked out by some nasty bird, in the middle of the night without a light and outside mushroom season. Well, good luck. o_O

I'd say, ask your question best at the renpy of the guy who made the engine. If he and all others there don't know we're anyway doomed. :coffee:

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes