Tool Ren'Py UnRen.bat v1.0.11d - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes

numanumani

Jan 9, 2018
Er... alright, today is definitively not my day. I don't know why, but I was convinced that it was fixed :/

PhantomStranger for the wrong hopes.
It's okay. (y)

I was hoping it would be fixed soon so when you wrote that I was wondering what repository I was missing.
Anyway, the developer will post a fix eventually.

In the meantime it can be corrected manually in the .rpy's post decompile.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
Hello, I am asking here hoping to find some answers.

I use Windows 10, and I am trying to mod Amity Park0.6.

I used Unren.bat to extract PRA packages and decompile rpyc files. All went well.

Then edited some of the dialogues of the game (opened the rpy files with Notepad++ and Atom) just to see if it would work, but when I tried to compile again the files using the "Build Distribution" option of Ren'py to obtain an archive.rpa file again, it just didn't work.

I launched the game and now it also gave errors in many files (which I didn't edit) about indentation.

Any idea about what's the problem?
Thanks
Just a note, you don't need to recompile a game back to an RPA after you make changes, if you reload it it will apply any changes made to rpy files to the rpyc automatically. You might have to rollback to before a jump to see the change, but it will apply.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
i get an error saying couldn't find python.exe
So, what was it that you tried to run it on? This only works for RenPy and RenPy games have python in them.
Also, I hope that you extracted the game from the archive zip, 7z or rar file that you downloaded and didn't try to run unren inside an archive, as quite a few people before you have tried. Archives are for archiving and transport only.

PhantomStranger

Oct 23, 2017
dude i used it on renpy games and i didnt use it in any archive files i extracted it
I had the same problem the first time.
If you want unren.bat to work, you must copy it in the directory of the game because it needs other files that are saved there.
I'd say that if you copy it in the same directory where you find the.exe file of the game and the "game" and "ren'py" folder, then it should work.

Extract the zip in the correct place then launch the file you extracted.

Reactions: yoyomistro

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
dude i used it on renpy games and i didnt use it in any archive files i extracted it
In that case the third possibility is that you launched unren anywhere but the game root folder or the 'game' subfolder inside the root folder, as PhantomStranger already guessed. Which means that you didn't follow instructions in the OP.

The two possibilities that I named before are not covered by the instructions and assumed to be covered by common sense, which sometimes fails, apparently.
I however assumed that you have read the OP and did follow instructions.

Having non-ASCII characters in the game root path may also be an issue sometimes. Covered by "known issues" in the OP.

Last edited:

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Dude, some tips:
  1. Presentation is important. Use capitals and punctuation correctly. Try to use good spelling and grammar. People will be more likely to read what you write if you don't make it difficult. After all, if you're too lazy to write well, we're too lazy to read it.
  2. If you want tech support, explain your problem better than "it doesn't work". In this case, you should have written:
    1. The game you were trying to UnRen,
    2. The path you put the game in,
    3. And the path you put unren.bat in.
  3. When you think "duh no shit I'm not a dumbass, you moron", don't write it. We have no idea if you're a dumbass or not. 99% of the time, problems with UnRen are PBKAC - Problem Between Keyboard And Chair. If you don't volunteer things, we have to ask the dumb questions, because those clear up the majority of the issues. Attitude is a bad thing to project when asking for help. Some people will still help you, but others will say "fuck this, I'm not helping someone who doesn't appreciate it."

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
I've added a temporary workaround to OP (see v0.9-dev) for the RenPy 7.2 syntax changes, whilst we await for a proper fix from unrpyc upstream. I've tested it and haven't found any issues, but consider v0.9-dev to be unstable.
Thanks, hopefully it works for the games that have been having issues. Your work is very much appreciated.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
We have no idea if you're a dumbass or not. 99% of the time, problems with UnRen are PBKAC - Problem Between Keyboard And Chair.
I would add that anyway, "it don't work", doesn't mean that you are an idiot. Sometimes it's just that you didn't think of something or were distracted and missed the evidence. And this happen to all of us, me included.
Therefore, staying humble is always the best option, it's precisely what prevent you to effectively looks like an idiot.

Reactions: yoyomistro

ULTIMA GALAXY

Sep 18, 2019
I had the same problem the first time.
If you want unren.bat to work, you must copy it in the directory of the game because it needs other files that are saved there.
I'd say that if you copy it in the same directory where you find the.exe file of the game and the "game" and "ren'py" folder, then it should work.

Extract the zip in the correct place then launch the file you extracted.
Thx! Helped a lot! :)

SyncNano

Sep 29, 2017
I continue to get the same problem of it saying it can't find python.exe and I know for a fact that it's in the game directory folder. I've tried extracting the Unren program and I get nothing.

Folobo

May 23, 2018
I'm having the same problem, if you solve it please post what you did to fix it, if you can. thank you
I'm sorry to keep taking this thread off topic, but I'll just answer this and then get outta your way.
I spent hours on G and Mickeysoft looking for a solution. Ultimately I used the "final solution" -- alright, the penfinal solution --I renewed Windows . That's not exactly the same as reinstalling (it took only a fraction of the time), but I did lose all my installed programs.
So whatever I did to cause the problem... don't you do it folks!!

[I should repeat that all my problems DID NOT come as a result of using Unren]

Malfecient

Aug 16, 2019
View attachment 389797

I had originally created this script for myself, but I've decided to clean it up a bit and release it for everyone. You can extract RPA archives (using built in ), decompile RPYC files (using built in ), enable the console and developer menu for Ren'Py games and more.

No dependencies, no internet connection required. You can right click->edit to see the source. Works on Windows 7, 8 and 10. XP and Vista users might need this PowerShell update from Microsoft:

Instructions:
1. Copy UnRen.bat to either the game's root directory (where the exe is) or the /game/ folder
2. Double click on UnRen.bat to execute
3. Select the option you require

Both RPA and RPYC files will be extracted/decompiled to the same path as the original files.

Known Issues:
- Having non-ASCII characters in your folder path may cause issues

Let me know if you encounter any issues or bugs.

Contributions:
If you'd like to contribute any changes or improvements, check out the new .

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

v0.9-dev is a temporary workaround for unrpyc and RenPy 7.2 syntax changes, whilst we await a proper fix from unrpyc upstream. I've tested it and haven't found any issues, but consider v0.9-dev to be unstable.
Does it work on Android?

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes