Laughingfox

Apr 2, 2017
For clarification on most likely my post you were quoting. I didn't mean it was pointless over all through out the story. Having your actions and stuff have consequences is totally fine and not what I was getting at. What I mean with it was at the character creation point. If alignments are a thing, it mentally forces the player to play to their alignments. If they don't follow the alignment, then having it in the character creation is pointless because it does nothing. As for karma, again, during character creation it's pointless. You as the player don't start off as some massive big evil or holy knight of justice. No one knows who or what you are. Arguably your karma should start after you (plot spoiler for intro). Of course that is excluding different origins, as some might be more evil/good-leaning than others, but then your karma would be tied to your character's origin, not a stat that you can change.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Whoops. Yeah, I messed up on the post.

Some origins *do* start off more heroically inclined, though. I'm writing one right now. Just because you love sacrificing puppies and drinking the tears of orphans doesn't mean everybody does.

I'm kidding, but the more I've been working on a specific prologue, the more it's coming to light that it's just flavored a certain way. Rather than making an entire new section of alternate choices that don't fit the narrative, I'm just going to complete what I have so I can move on to assisting elsewhere. (Not that I won't fill it out later if I can find a way to do it that feels right.)

For reference, Ratmom Survivor is a struggling mother bringing up her two awesome kids in the bowels of the Undercity.

Unluckiest Goblin is a literal folk hero before things go pear shaped.

...Some others are likely darker or more middle of the road though. Last of the Line has been dealing with
, so they could be considerably broken by the time the player takes the wheel.

It's never specified how Lost Magic tapped into their powers and built up their abilities in the past. A darker option could totally be a choice made, for sure.

Chosen One feel very much more of a clean slate as a 'nobody', as described, though. Worth noting, they do have a pretty hefty legacy behind them, though this is less hyper fixated on good and more just banging anything attractive with a pulse.

The currently unnamed Lizardkin start is an unknown.

Team Boys may be a bit more questionable depending on if they indulge in slaves and other similar things off in the Amazons.

And there is the hyper generic Shipwrecked start which has nothing special attached I'm almost sure is still going to be a thing.

Worth mentioning, every one of the origins are going to have a mention of particular themes that will be a big element of their narrative story, to hopefully avoid confusion and frustration.

(...Or maybe it should be a player based option for it to be revealed, for those that prefer to jump in blind. Unsure.)
---

Even in the case of more heroic types, after the game starts winding up there's no reason a noble start can't fall. Liches and evil bitches exist for a reason. I'm suggesting karma as something the player gains and loses, and in this case, they'd have a little bit of a positive or negative bump at the start. But nothing that should cripple their degree of choice.

That said, starting with a 'clean slate' is also a valid choice. In the current writeup, when the Chosen one meets their first nasty surprise they are absolved of their sins by a higher power, regardless if they chose or desire it.

So a similar concept could easily apply to the others at the start, possibly with the option of the player holding on to that karma boost or penalty with choices made in that pivotal moment.

...Hm. Yeah, that may be the better way to go.

And of course, Snekk holds the ultimate go / no go to any concept or suggestion either way, haha.

Mar 23, 2022
Whoops. Yeah, I messed up on the post.

Some origins *do* start off more heroically inclined, though. I'm writing one right now. Just because you love sacrificing puppies and drinking the tears of orphans doesn't mean everybody does.

I'm kidding, but the more I've been working on a specific prologue, the more it's coming to light that it's just flavored a certain way. Rather than making an entire new section of alternate choices that don't fit the narrative, I'm just going to complete what I have so I can move on to assisting elsewhere. (Not that I won't fill it out later if I can find a way to do it that feels right.)

For reference, Ratmom Survivor is a struggling mother bringing up her two awesome kids in the bowels of the Undercity.

Unluckiest Goblin is a literal folk hero before things go pear shaped.

...Some others are likely darker or more middle of the road though. Last of the Line has been dealing with
, so they could be considerably broken by the time the player takes the wheel.

It's never specified how Lost Magic tapped into their powers and built up their abilities in the past. A darker option could totally be a choice made, for sure.

Chosen One feel very much more of a clean slate as a 'nobody', as described, though. Worth noting, they do have a pretty hefty legacy behind them, though this is less hyper fixated on good and more just banging anything attractive with a pulse.

The currently unnamed Lizardkin start is an unknown.

Team Boys may be a bit more questionable depending on if they indulge in slaves and other similar things off in the Amazons.

And there is the hyper generic Shipwrecked start which has nothing special attached I'm almost sure is still going to be a thing.

Worth mentioning, every one of the origins are going to have a mention of particular themes that will be a big element of their narrative story, to hopefully avoid confusion and frustration.

(...Or maybe it should be a player based option for it to be revealed, for those that prefer to jump in blind. Unsure.)
---

Even in the case of more heroic types, after the game starts winding up there's no reason a noble start can't fall. Liches and evil bitches exist for a reason. I'm suggesting karma as something the player gains and loses, and in this case, they'd have a little bit of a positive or negative bump at the start. But nothing that should cripple their degree of choice.

That said, starting with a 'clean slate' is also a valid choice. In the current writeup, when the Chosen one meets their first nasty surprise they are absolved of their sins by a higher power, regardless if they chose or desire it.

So a similar concept could easily apply to the others at the start, possibly with the option of the player holding on to that karma boost or penalty with choices made in that pivotal moment.

...Hm. Yeah, that may be the better way to go.

And of course, Snekk holds the ultimate go / no go to any concept or suggestion either way, haha.
This is a joke; hey, I resent that. I drink puppy's blood and sacrific orphan tears, thank you very much. Tears are much easier to clean than blood. Joking aside, maybe that would be a better way of handling it if it was to be implemented in character creation. Having a small bump (good or bad) based on the player's origins. However, if I recall correctly, Snekk originally planned for karma to only go up. If you do something bad, your bad karma will increase. If you do something good, your good karma will increase. Two separate karma stats if I'm not confusing it with something else. I'm not sure if he still thinks that is a good idea or not, but it'd be something to think about if it is.

Wait, are you an official writer for Vicindio?

Laughingfox

Apr 2, 2017
Two separate values, huh? That's not bad either, though it doesn't seem to leave much in the way of interaction with each other, or redemption / falling out of grace if they just rise. In compartison, even base stats can go up and down (especially if you start utilizing your horseman abilities).

Both seem like decent options.

---

As for writing, I wouldn't go so far as 'official', I just annoy Snekk with ideas and editing occasionally, same as usual. Sometimes it's decent enough to hammer into shape and share.

I just volunteer ideas and bad art from time to time.

For anybody reading this bit -- it's been written a few times here and there, but ze Snekk really does love interaction with folks here (provided they are constructive, anyway), as well as ideas or commissions. They won't all be bangers, for sure. The graveyard of unused ideas or things I've been distracted from is legion. Hell, when I look back at my earliest ideas and writing it can be straight up cringeworthy. Freaking yikes.

But don't let that deter you from tossing out ideas or even writing up a spicy scene you'd like to see! ...Just, uh, don't expect it to immediately manifest either, haha. Shit takes time, especially with redesigning the core gameplay and plot from the ground up.

---

As for I've been working on an expansion to the Monastery for a while now, and Snekk is letting me fuck around with expanding the Unlucky origin intro which still needs to go through editing. Every time I think I'm done, I'm not, haha. Three damn power outs in the last week and a half. Madness.

I've lost track of how many times I've thought I'd have things wrapped up by 'next sunday'. Good thing I'm not being paid; I'd fire my own ass immediately.

Drawing the art for it has been more time-consuming than I thought it'd be, though I'm trying to find all sorts of tricks to speed up the process. But it's starting to come together. This one looks decent enough to share.

If this lands decent enough I'll probably try my hand at expanding the other origins that are looking for a little extra oomph next.

Mar 23, 2022
1. Two separate values, huh? That's not bad either, though it doesn't seem to leave much in the way of interaction with each other, or redemption / falling out of grace if they just rise. In compartison, even base stats can go up and down (especially if you start utilizing your horseman abilities).

Both seem like decent options.

---

2. As for writing, I wouldn't go so far as 'official', I just annoy Snekk with ideas and editing occasionally, same as usual. Sometimes it's decent enough to hammer into shape and share.

I just volunteer ideas and bad art from time to time.

For anybody reading this bit -- it's been written a few times here and there, but ze Snekk really does love interaction with folks here (provided they are constructive, anyway), as well as ideas or commissions. They won't all be bangers, for sure. The graveyard of unused ideas or things I've been distracted from is legion. Hell, when I look back at my earliest ideas and writing it can be straight up cringeworthy. Freaking yikes.

But don't let that deter you from tossing out ideas or even writing up a spicy scene you'd like to see! ...Just, uh, don't expect it to immediately manifest either, haha. Shit takes time, especially with redesigning the core gameplay and plot from the ground up.

---

3. As for I've been working on an expansion to the Monastery for a while now, and Snekk is letting me fuck around with expanding the Unlucky origin intro which still needs to go through editing. Every time I think I'm done, I'm not, haha. Three damn power outs in the last week and a half. Madness.

I've lost track of how many times I've thought I'd have things wrapped up by 'next sunday'. Good thing I'm not being paid; I'd fire my own ass immediately.

Drawing the art for it has been more time-consuming than I thought it'd be, though I'm trying to find all sorts of tricks to speed up the process. But it's starting to come together. This one looks decent enough to share.

If this lands decent enough I'll probably try my hand at expanding the other origins that are looking for a little extra oomph next.
1. I think the original idea was both can be pulled on at a time. If someone is a massive fartknocker and they gained a bunch of bad juju they'd still have people remember they aren't all evil because they had some good karma. But in a general light people would just see them as a bad guy. Or something along those line at least.

2. Sounds like something I use to do... until someone ruined it for me. Wrote out a whole quest almost, changed a few thing in my personal version to make things flow better, was half way through a patch. I scrapped it all in the end, even gave up patching the game. Now I'm just back to being a nuisance on the forums instead of helping.

2a. As for other people reading this, I agree with LaughingFox. Do post your ideas here, Snekk will read them. He might use them but it might take a while, as LaughingFox said. Redoing a game in a different engine does take time, and there was a lot to redo.

3. That sounds as close to an unoffical offical writer if I've ever seen one lol. Having say on how unlucky's origins is written. Chefs kiss.

Reactions: Solid Snekk

Solid Snekk

Game Developer
May 5, 2017
share with us the detail of the problem may be someone might have an idea to help with your dilemma
The problem isn't the code it is my understanding of other people's code. It's just the various bits of code I'm finding here and there are not merging well with my code and that is entirely a me problem.

there are alot of experienced twine devs on here someone might be able to help you ...just don't burn yourself out
I'm enjoying myself so its not really a problem.

Vicindio has never really been a point for me to make me tons of quick cash or whatever the other games that have three different financial ways to donate on a 0.1 release, I come home from work and enjoy the puzzle of figuring things out.

Vombatidi

Jul 19, 2021
The problem isn't the code it is my understanding of other people's code. It's just the various bits of code I'm finding here and there are not merging well with my code and that is entirely a me problem.

I'm enjoying myself so its not really a problem.

Vicindio has never really been a point for me to make me tons of quick cash or whatever the other games that have three different financial ways to donate on a 0.1 release, I come home from work and enjoy the puzzle of figuring things out.
It's not the destination but the journey? Moment

Reactions: Solid Snekk

Solid Snekk

Game Developer
May 5, 2017
Current project is the encounter code, shown in Screenshot 1.

Wandering into areas will have a little "You are X% about to encounter Y creature" which I am also using for when the player goes around stealing. I'll add in fighting mutants as soon as I change them from the silent hill nurses into more monstrous types of mutants.

Screenshot 2 is what I'm working on for random NPCs encountered.

The player can date a guard, several if my code ends up working, and can use their relationship with them to dodge some searches around Avedon, as the guards are going to be far more frisky in the future.

In theory every main location will have randomized NPCS so the player could date a guard in the slums and town.

The slums guard can be fucked at the slum gate to allow you to smuggle things into the city/help quell the zombie population in the swamps by shooting them.

The town guard also works in the prison so you can have your boyfriend/girlfriend post your bail/let you have more privileges.

Being a wanton slut is also an option if you end up dating a barracks bunny/cuckold.

Adding random quirks to random npcs is giving me a lot of problems but I'm making progress.

doujinftw

Nov 26, 2020
Current project is the encounter code, shown in Screenshot 1.

Wandering into areas will have a little "You are X% about to encounter Y creature" which I am also using for when the player goes around stealing. I'll add in fighting mutants as soon as I change them from the silent hill nurses into more monstrous types of mutants.

Screenshot 2 is what I'm working on for random NPCs encountered.

The player can date a guard, several if my code ends up working, and can use their relationship with them to dodge some searches around Avedon, as the guards are going to be far more frisky in the future.

In theory every main location will have randomized NPCS so the player could date a guard in the slums and town.

The slums guard can be fucked at the slum gate to allow you to smuggle things into the city/help quell the zombie population in the swamps by shooting them.

The town guard also works in the prison so you can have your boyfriend/girlfriend post your bail/let you have more privileges.

Being a wanton slut is also an option if you end up dating a barracks bunny/cuckold.

Adding random quirks to random npcs is giving me a lot of problems but I'm making progress.
maybe you could use ArtofJiJi for mutants 20230518_222005.jpg 20230518_222057.jpg 20230518_222101.jpg 20230518_222116.jpg 20230518_222506.jpg

4.30 star(s) 15 Votes