Collection Video ViciNeko collection [2024-06-23] [ViciNeko]

4.30 star(s) 6 Votes

orapro

Jul 4, 2020
I don't think I understand half of what you're trying to convey. Could you please clarify?
What is an acceptable encoding, and by what standard?
Why would interpolation be limited to a specific fps?
What is M6, and how does it relate to interpolation speed? Why is it "lame"?
Does interpolation normally not include original frames?
Did I just waste 15 hours interpolating this same video, after announcing it, for you to then do it twice over?
I'm not very knowledgeable about the technical aspects. I just like a decent frame rate, and I run a comprehensible program (SVFI) to the best of my ability. I'm curious to hear your answers.
The FPS I said was performance metric. Interpolations run by generating new frames between existing frames, so the number of frames can be generated per second is half of the overall frame output speed so I explicitly point it out. There's no any good reason to discard original frames.

M6 is the same meaning of preset 6 in svt-av1.
Encoding speed optimization typically involves trade-offs in the quality of resulting video. M6 is more on the fast and rough side.

15 hours is a long waiting, I'm sorry if I made you feel bad, but I was just got interest from your post and did some random stuff.

Reactions: Asschen

dungeon_seige

Sep 12, 2023
Here is an (incomplete) set of interpolated 60 fps versions of videos from ViciNeko that I have selected.
The files are available for 60 days, or longer if one has been viewed in the last month. Let me know if reuploading is needed.
2024-10-13: Pixeldrain
I downloaded the smallest file there titled "Playing With Her Food". It looks pretty good, but there's some obvious artifacts at the center of the screen. Is it just on this specific video?

Asschen

Feb 2, 2023
I downloaded the smallest file there titled "Playing With Her Food". It looks pretty good, but there's some obvious artifacts at the center of the screen. Is it just on this specific video?
I have noticed these, too. These should all be from the original video, however; I've seen it in multiple. Yoimiya x Beat had some pretty bad ones on the waves in the background. It's definitely not the interpolation process, but maybe it's somehow related to my hardware, and that's why I'm getting it in the original, too. If anyone can confirm this, I would be grateful.

Asschen

Feb 2, 2023
The FPS I said was performance metric. Interpolations run by generating new frames between existing frames, so the number of frames can be generated per second is half of the overall frame output speed so I explicitly point it out. There's no any good reason to discard original frames.

M6 is the same meaning of preset 6 in svt-av1.
Encoding speed optimization typically involves trade-offs in the quality of resulting video. M6 is more on the fast and rough side.

15 hours is a long waiting, I'm sorry if I made you feel bad, but I was just got interest from your post and did some random stuff.
No worries, and thank you for the explanation. I would be curious to know if anyone sees any differences between our versions. I set the interpolation to favor quality, and it's on the slow setting (there's only one even slower). On my old hardware, that's just slow, even with a good cpu overclock.

Something else I'm curious about: is your method able to attribute metadata, like bitrate, frame dimensions and framerate, etc.? I have seen others sharing interpolations without any of this, including you. I rely on this data for sorting and comparing files, so it's a real bother when it's missing.

orapro

Jul 4, 2020
No worries, and thank you for the explanation. I would be curious to know if anyone sees any differences between our versions. I set the interpolation to favor quality, and it's on the slow setting (there's only one even slower). On my old hardware, that's just slow, even with a good cpu overclock.

Something else I'm curious about: is your method able to attribute metadata, like bitrate, frame dimensions and framerate, etc.? I have seen others sharing interpolations without any of this, including you. I rely on this data for sorting and comparing files, so it's a real bother when it's missing.
The problem is probably that MKV format isn't well supported by the sorting and comparing software you use.

orapro

Jul 4, 2020
I have noticed these, too. These should all be from the original video, however; I've seen it in multiple. Yoimiya x Beat had some pretty bad ones on the waves in the background. It's definitely not the interpolation process, but maybe it's somehow related to my hardware, and that's why I'm getting it in the original, too. If anyone can confirm this, I would be grateful.
It's a bug limitation in some hardware decoding implementation. The original has no such artifact when decoded with software deecoder. If it's in your interpolated video then probably the initial decoding when you did the interpolation is faulty. The only way to fix it is to do the interpolation again with software decoding.
This bug thing still presents in the latest RTX 40 card...

Edit: it may not be a bug, but a hardware decoder capability limitation. Hardware decoders usually have some constraints of some features (in this case, probably the ref frame number), while the HW decoder API can refuse out-of-capability streams, some programs actually force the HW decoder to accept it, and can sometimes (like this time) result in decoding errors.
In this case, the problematic video streams are of AVC High Profile Level 6.0, as per nvidia documentation said, it should only supports up to High Profile Level 5.1 for AVC, so this video shouldn't be HW decoded, but in tests I did, FFmpeg and MPV will force the HW decoder to decode it.
This approach is probably for better compability, but is not safe enough. I assume that because SW decoder is the default in FFmpeg (mpv is using ffmpeg library), they decided if a user told it to use HW decoder, the user may not happy to see it refuses to do so.

Last edited:

Asschen

Feb 2, 2023
The problem is probably that MKV format isn't well supported by the sorting and comparing software you use.
It's just Windows Explorer.

It's a bug in some hardware decoding implementation. The original has no such artifact when decoded with software deecoder. If it's in your interpolated video then probably the initial decoding when you did the interpolation is faulty. The only way to fix it is to do the interpolation again with software decoding.
This bug still presents in the latest RTX 40 card...
I see these artifacts in the original videos, not just the interpolations.

orapro

Jul 4, 2020
I should make it more clear, the problem is in the hardware decoder. Details in my previous reply.
When you see it in your interpolation, it means it has polluted the result, you can only fix it by do it again using software decoder from the right beginning.

2024-10-19_014959.png.jpg 2024-10-19_015003.png.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Asschen
4.30 star(s) 6 Votes