3.50 star(s) 10 Votes

ArmoredRacoon

Mar 19, 2018
On the "Race to the Springs" quest I caught Hilde before reaching the hot springs. After some dialogue after I caught her she walked to the springs but is now stuck and won't move at the first rock. Talking to her gives me the same line about not rubbing it in her face that I caught her before reaching the springs. I've restarted the game but it won't fix it and now I can't progress the game.

RaulSanto

Jan 1, 2020
Hello! So I deleted the old 0.21 version, downloaded the 0.22 update and extracted it. When I open the game, on the main menu in the right bottom corner, it still says version 0.21. Is this normal or did something go wrong? I completed the 0.21 version before and I'd prefer to not find out at the end that I'm still playing the 0.21 version.. someone any advice? Maybe because of old save games?

I downloaded the 0.22 windows version from the NOPY link btw

flyRenders

Game Developer
Jul 3, 2017
Hello! So I deleted the old 0.21 version, downloaded the 0.22 update and extracted it. When I open the game, on the main menu in the right bottom corner, it still says version 0.21. Is this normal or did something go wrong? I completed the 0.21 version before and I'd prefer to not find out at the end that I'm still playing the 0.21 version.. someone any advice? Maybe because of old save games?

I downloaded the 0.22 windows version from the NOPY link btw
It's normal that's just a typo in the menu, the version has all the features from 0.22.0

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
Well, it's fairly playable on Linux now, thanks. My only complain is that the sound volume is way too low. Oh, also it ate all my VRAM and then 20GB RAM and was swapping quite a bit, so framerate is a bit unstable and it takes forever to load. Actually this was the lowest settings, after I set it to "ultra" and restarted it only ate 15GB. And I think some visual effects were broken, like here: 1598215224810.png

and this glitching here: 1598215688029.png

these are the only errors I have:
Code:
Shader 'Particles/FXVille Blood World Lighting': fallback shader 'Paricles/Alpha Blended' not found
Error assigning 2D texture to cubemap texture property '_CloudCubemapNormalTexture': Dimensions must match

mocap3069

Oct 7, 2017
I killed the raiders but they did not drop any bags of gold. I click on every bag I could find but cannot complete this quest.

flyRenders

Game Developer
Jul 3, 2017
Well, it's fairly playable on Linux now, thanks. My only complain is that the sound volume is way too low. Oh, also it ate all my VRAM and then 20GB RAM and was swapping quite a bit, so framerate is a bit unstable and it takes forever to load. Actually this was the lowest settings, after I set it to "ultra" and restarted it only ate 15GB. And I think some visual effects were broken, like here:

these are the only errors I have:
Code:
Shader 'Particles/FXVille Blood World Lighting': fallback shader 'Paricles/Alpha Blended' not found
Error assigning 2D texture to cubemap texture property '_CloudCubemapNormalTexture': Dimensions must match
Thanks for reporting back.

bicobus

Sep 15, 2019
Well, it's fairly playable on Linux now, thanks. My only complain is that the sound volume is way too low. Oh, also it ate all my VRAM and then 20GB RAM and was swapping quite a bit, so framerate is a bit unstable and it takes forever to load. Actually this was the lowest settings, after I set it to "ultra" and restarted it only ate 15GB.
I too observed the high latency, but VRAM usage shouldn't surprise you: graphic applications will use as much as they can, because it's faster than loading from RAM. What I have observed is that this game is I/O bound as well as CPU bound: needs to load tons of shit into memory as they get loaded in the game. When you walk forward and an object appears, for example, that object's data might not have been loaded in memory just yet and so the engines tries to load everything in memory, dropping the framerate to 0. (CPU usage because it is needed when reading stuff off the disk, I/O bound because of the speed of of the hard drive, and GPU to compute the model.) This happens a lot with characters, observed in the playtest area and the slave dock during the game. I didn't take notice of swapping though, I'll have to pay more attention next time. You might want to be wary of the amount of RAM reported by the various auditing tools, virtual memory (VIRT) isn't actual physical ram but the sum of memory the process has mapped on itself (including VRAM), along files on disks (like libraries), and memory shared with other processes. VIRT, in the context of a videogame, can be pretty high. The amount of ram you need to keep track off is the resident size (RES), which is a representation of how much physical memory the process is actually using.

For video games, there are two poles to observe:
  1. How beautiful the game is: details of the skins of characters, amount of verticles per object, amount of grass around, etc..
  2. How functional the game is: the player move around and do actions without being hindered by their hardware.
A good balance needs to be observed. The character models are pretty high quality, lots of vertex around which means high computation requirements. I mean, look at the amount of curves in the screenshot of that arm you've posted: it's some high grade polygon mesh or texture mapping wizardry.

flyRenders

Game Developer
Jul 3, 2017
I too observed the high latency, but VRAM usage shouldn't surprise you: graphic applications will use as much as they can, because it's faster than loading from RAM. What I have observed is that this game is I/O bound as well as CPU bound: needs to load tons of shit into memory as they get loaded in the game. When you walk forward and an object appears, for example, that object's data might not have been loaded in memory just yet and so the engines tries to load everything in memory, dropping the framerate to 0. (CPU usage because it is needed when reading stuff off the disk, I/O bound because of the speed of of the hard drive, and GPU to compute the model.) This happens a lot with characters, observed in the playtest area and the slave dock during the game. I didn't take notice of swapping though, I'll have to pay more attention next time. You might want to be wary of the amount of RAM reported by the various auditing tools, virtual memory (VIRT) isn't actual physical ram but the sum of memory the process has mapped on itself (including VRAM), along files on disks (like libraries), and memory shared with other processes. VIRT, in the context of a videogame, can be pretty high. The amount of ram you need to keep track off is the resident size (RES), which is a representation of how much physical memory the process is actually using.

For video games, there are two poles to observe:
  1. How beautiful the game is: details of the skins of characters, amount of verticles per object, amount of grass around, etc..
  2. How functional the game is: the player move around and do actions without being hindered by their hardware.
A good balance needs to be observed. The character models are pretty high quality, lots of vertex around which means high computation requirements. I mean, look at the amount of curves in the screenshot of that arm you've posted: it's some high grade polygon mesh or texture mapping wizardry.
The characters naked are around 30k polygons which is normal - low for semi realistic 3D models nowadays. In AAA games there are more polygons. Clothes are around 5-10k and hair is around 10k. Are you seeing this problem only on linux?

Btw those things you see on the screenshot are not polygons even though they may look like (Im talking about the hair and bumps). Its just a normal map texture to make things stand out more.

As you guessed a lot of things are turned off when you are further away like the characters on the docks (actually any character) since they have AI logic running and not needed if you dont see them. Same for vegetation, its handled on the GPU entirely and split in cells that render only when needed.

bicobus

Sep 15, 2019
In AAA games there are more polygons.
So, an issue is not with the amount of polygons. I got idiotically stuck on that because them actors do look nice. But in insight, if high poly was an issue, my GPU would have yelled bloody murder. Could it be how the models are being loaded in then?

Are you seeing this problem only on linux?
I only have a linux OS, so I can't compare.

As you guessed a lot of things are turned off when you are further away like the characters on the docks (actually any character) since they have AI logic running and not needed if you dont see them. Same for vegetation, its handled on the GPU entirely and split in cells that render only when needed.
Those object pop out of nowhere, which tells me cells aren't pre-loaded and that there are no low-poly models stand in. I only notice a huge latency when NPC needs to be loaded in for the first time. Did not monitor my system, so I don't have data on this. I guess that there are a lot of processing needed to be done when them NPC are to be loaded? Shouldn't actors computation be done before the player enters the map, so to reduce those latency?

Note that there is the GLSL issue with Radeon cards, which may be slowing down some operation by half.
GLSL link error: error: Too many compute shader storage blocks (16/8)

My hardware isn't good enough to support high quality screen capture, otherwise I would have shown you. I am still using slow mechanical drives, the writing speed is just too slow for high FPS capture.

Also, forgot to say: audio is either non present or too low. I do hear wolves, but not my steps.

Edit: Restarted the game, couldn't reproduce latency as actors gets shown. Not quite sure what is happening then :(

Last edited:

flyRenders

Game Developer
Jul 3, 2017
So, an issue is not with the amount of polygons. I got idiotically stuck on that because them actors do look nice. But in insight, if high poly was an issue, my GPU would have yelled bloody murder. Could it be how the models are being loaded in then?

I only have a linux OS, so I can't compare.

Those object pop out of nowhere, which tells me cells aren't pre-loaded and that there are no low-poly models stand in. I only notice a huge latency when NPC needs to be loaded in for the first time. Did not monitor my system, so I don't have data on this. I guess that there are a lot of processing needed to be done when them NPC are to be loaded? Shouldn't actors computation be done before the player enters the map, so to reduce those latency?

Note that there is the GLSL issue with Radeon cards, which may be slowing down some operation by half.
GLSL link error: error: Too many compute shader storage blocks (16/8)

My hardware isn't good enough to support high quality screen capture, otherwise I would have shown you. I am still using slow mechanical drives, the writing speed is just too slow for high FPS capture.

Also, forgot to say: audio is either non present or too low. I do hear wolves, but not my steps.

Edit: Restarted the game, couldn't reproduce latency as actors gets shown. Not quite sure what is happening then :(
I think the issue is with how the engine built the Linux version. Im currently testing on a very old windows laptop (6+ years) that cost around $500 back then and its running with 20-30 fps which is good.

What you can try is go to the settings (ESC - Settings) and set grass intensity to 0, then turn off shadows. If its still lagging you can turn off AntiAliasing as well, but I recommend turning them off one by one and seeing if there's an improvement.

bicobus

Sep 15, 2019
What you can try is go to the settings (ESC - Settings) and set grass intensity to 0, then turn off shadows. If its still lagging you can turn off AntiAliasing as well, but I recommend turning them off one by one and seeing if there's an improvement.
I don't mean "lags", I mean total lock up for several seconds (at least one) then the models pops. That happened while I was running around the island for a while then went to the docks. Otherwise my FPS are around 30 whenever I turn around.

Also, when loading into a game, after pressing a key when prompted, the game shows a black screen for quite a big period of time too. I believe it's somehow linked. It would be great to hear from nVidia people and see if they run into the same behavior than I do.

Reactions: flyRenders

rjackdaw

Feb 9, 2018
to me it seems lacking some kind of ambient occlusion and skin luminance.
or im probably wrong.

Sep 22, 2017
I don't mean "lags", I mean total lock up for several seconds (at least one) then the models pops. That happened while I was running around the island for a while then went to the docks. Otherwise my FPS are around 30 whenever I turn around.
I haven't played this game, however have you tried (and hear me out) disabling your internet adapter and seeing if the same issue continues?
Unity has (dunno if it still does in recent versions or if it's the same for linux) a very old bug that causes asset loading or streaming to slow down to a crawl with network adapters enabled. Could be related.

Reactions: Futa_Buddy

bicobus

Sep 15, 2019
I haven't played this game, however have you tried (and hear me out) disabling your internet adapter and seeing if the same issue continues?
Unity has (dunno if it still does in recent versions or if it's the same for linux) a very old bug that causes asset loading or streaming to slow down to a crawl with network adapters enabled. Could be related.
Whatever you mean by "network adapter"?

lesath

Mar 19, 2018
Whatever you mean by "network adapter"?
The device that connects you to a network ( ).

Regarding disabling it - might help (or article in particular, best try the last way). If you use different version of Windows - change the search to the appropriate one. Keep in mind that if you do disable the network adapter and fail to re enable it - this will leave you with no network (internet) until you enable it.

3.50 star(s) 10 Votes