VN Ren'Py Abandoned Vinland [v0.1.8a Public] [HuitiemeGame]

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
NOw we are heading into gaming territory - > that is the plot of god of war 4 and that is one epic game!
Haven't played it due to a lack of PS4, but I really want to try it one day. Also, if we drift to the "real" video gaming world, I learned about the future Assassin's Creed going the Viking's route as well while planning Vinland. Looks like the time of Ragnarök is soon upon us :D

• Haha
Reactions: Canto Forte

LexArma

Jun 2, 2019
Interesting, I like the historical setting - being a possible descendant of Vikings myself, the theme is close to heart. The prologue is a bit on the short side and doesn't provide much in the way of a background story, but I am looking forward to seeing what comes next. Looking promising.

EDIT: Oh, and the font - just fine IMO. Suits the setting.

TheSexinati

Sep 1, 2017
Interesting, I like the historical setting - being a possible descendant of Vikings myself, the theme is close to heart.
Awesome.

I'm the mutt between a Mother of Scandinavian descent with A Father of Maori descent... so I guess that makes me part Viking and part Clone warrior.

It is a wonder I haven't conquered the world with my inherited naval skills... Yet I probably couldn't navigate a ravine even with GPS... sooooo. And... I haven't been to the gym in a couple years, so no raping or raiding for this one.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
*wonders how many of you found out that there was a hidden Love Interest in the prologue...* :whistle:

• Wow

215303j

Awesone prologue!! I imagine it's not easy to make a game about Vikings in Daz and make it good / realistic looking! (y)
And I really like the characters as well. Very Viking-like, as I imagine it.

About realism, it seems mostly excellent so far. I doubt they had stavchurches in Greenland, but nevermind about that. Also most people nowadays know that Vikings did not actually have horns on their helmets, but nevermind that either.

The only thing that did really bother me was the clothing of my favourite character so far: Freydis. Not is her "chainmail" vest a bit over the top, but the arm ornaments also behave a bit weird in some scenes, like the attached screenshot. I guess it's supposed to be rigid metal but instead it moves with her muscles and in a weird way.

I really like Freydis' character and I do get that you chose her clothing to match her character, but to me this is too much Hollywood. I would much prefer it if e.g. you just gave her standard male clothing. Freydis.jpg

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Awesone prologue!! I imagine it's not easy to make a game about Vikings in Daz and make it good / realistic looking! (y)
And I really like the characters as well. Very Viking-like, as I imagine it.

About realism, it seems mostly excellent so far. I doubt they had stavchurches in Greenland, but nevermind about that. Also most people nowadays know that Vikings did not actually have horns on their helmets, but nevermind that either.

The only thing that did really bother me was the clothing of my favourite character so far: Freydis. Not is her "chainmail" vest a bit over the top, but the arm ornaments also behave a bit weird in some scenes, like the attached screenshot. I guess it's supposed to be rigid metal but instead it moves with her muscles and in a weird way.

I really like Freydis' character and I do get that you chose her clothing to match her character, but to me this is too much Hollywood. I would much prefer it if e.g. you just gave her standard male clothing. View attachment 345480
Hi Thialf, first of all, thank you for your nice words :)

Second, you've made a fine point with the horned helmet, but they're the only assets I could find, so I went with it, even though it does bother me a hell of a lot. To underline it, I've put the following lines if your MC's alignement goes toward smartitudeness:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It should be noted that the crew isn't supposed to be quite the normal norsemen crew, so I hoped it'd be fine anyway. Also, there is a secret hidden in this very picture :3

Regarding Freydis, I understand your point. Each character (especially the ladies) has their own color scheme and clothes (as well as a sort of "animal totem" XD) that define them, and Freydis is supposed to be this boastful fiery woman, so her clothes should reflect that. I really wanted her to have some sort of armlet as her personal style, so for now, there won't be any change (and I'll try to fix the right arm issue in that picture).

215303j

I must have missed those comments somehow in my playthrough. Nice one though! (y)
Personally I think I would have gone without helmets but I do get your point. You do need something to mark them as warriors and set them apart from the other villagers, even though that line was pretty blurry in reality.

Anyway, keep it up! I'm surely following this one! (y)

• Haha

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I must have missed those comments somehow in my playthrough. Nice one though! (y)
Personally I think I would have gone without helmets but I do get your point. You do need something to mark them as warriors and set them apart from the other villagers, even though that line was pretty blurry in reality.

Anyway, keep it up! I'm surely following this one! (y)
Rest assured, you didn't miss it, I've added the lines afterwards as I'm still tweaking the prologue while working on chapter 1 (for example, I've changed the font at least ten times before finding the one in the screenshot)
I guess they wanted to wear their helmet to impress the villages ladies. Silly silly warriors :p

Last edited:
  • Haha

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
I did notice the one in the back with his horns down like prey mantis mandibles --- guess he wants to actually be the scary tartarus hound and bull ant his way to the ladies in the back of all those bull frogs up front -> fighting for mead and glory.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I did notice the one in the back with his horns down like prey mantis mandibles --- guess he wants to actually be the scary tartarus hound and bull ant his way to the ladies in the back of all those bull frogs up front -> fighting for mead and glory.
Ha ha, nice one, but that's not the "secret" :p
Also, I guess you haven't been sarcastic enough on your playthrough. There are actually two of the guys.

• Haha

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Those guys are a traveling group of warrior lumberjacks, obviously. They chop down the trees with supernatural speed and precision with their axes, then stab their helmet horns into the wood pieces to carry it off. Like those people in India or wherever that carry stuff on their heads.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Those guys are a traveling group of warrior lumberjacks, obviously. They chop down the trees with supernatural speed and precision with their axes, then stab their helmet horns into the wood pieces to carry it off. Like those people in India or wherever that carry stuff on their heads.
I approve this message. This is now canon!

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes