But what will happen first:
A) France will have a budget surplus and reduces it's debt
B) Freyfrey gets the D
C) The ECB raises their interest rate to above +3%

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Can I call my friend Christine?

- 'Ello, Christine speaking?
- Hi, I am participating in a game show and I need to know when the ECB will increase it's interest rate
- Ah, that depends on X, but maybe Y and then there is Z, but we have to be very careful anyway. We can't afford to upset anyone!
- That was very helpful Christine, thanks!
*click*

Ah, fuck it, I'll vote D :ROFLMAO:

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Can I call my friend Christine?

- 'Ello, Christine speaking?
- Hi, I am participating in a game show and I need to know when the ECB will increase it's interest rate
- Ah, that depends on X, but maybe Y and then there is Z, but we have to be very careful anyway. We can't afford to upset anyone!
- That was very helpful Christine, thanks!
*click*

Ah, fuck it, I'll vote D :ROFLMAO:
Is that your last bafouille?

It was response B! Freydis will get the Delicate loving she deserves well before anything remotely interesting happens in the financial world!
You're a loser!

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Freydis will get the Delicate loving she deserves well before anything remotely interesting happens in the financial world!
You're a loser!
I suppose that is better than some random amoun of cash anyway. ;)

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I need your input, lads (and ladettes). For some scenes to make the most sense, I've had to add a few variable points in older parts of the game. Thus, I'd recommend everyone starts back from the beginning to be sure not to miss something although they've made the right choices. It shouldn't prevent you from progressing if you don't, but there is one scene in particular that would only be available if you gather said variable points, which cannot be done unless you restart the game (I'm being deliberately cryptic).

What's the best solution:
- leave a disclaimer when the update is out that I recommend restarting the game?
or
- make sure that saves are not compatible and force people to start from the beginning again?

AND, this isn't my only conundrum :x
If I decide to kill save compatibility for this release, I'd rather change a lot of few things in older scripts in order to release a chapter 1 "director's cut" → cleaning useless variables, modifying 2-3 scenes that I'm no longer happy with regarding further plot development, and all-around fixing of tiny mistakes here and there. This will force people to restart a game because then, variable names will surely change to be more friendly (for example if someone wants to make a walkthrough mod).

What are your thoughts?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
I need your input, lads (and ladettes). For some scenes to make the most sense, I've had to add a few variable points in older parts of the game. Thus, I'd recommend everyone starts back from the beginning to be sure not to miss something although they've made the right choices. It shouldn't prevent you from progressing if you don't, but there is one scene in particular that would only be available if you gather said variable points, which cannot be done unless you restart the game (I'm being deliberately cryptic).

- leave a disclaimer when the update is out that I recommend restarting the game?
or
- make sure that saves are not compatible and force people to start from the beginning again?

If I decide to kill save compatibility for this release, I'd rather change a lot of few things in older scripts in order to release a chapter 1 "director's cut" → cleaning useless variables, modifying 2-3 scenes that I'm no longer happy with regarding further plot development, and all-around fixing of tiny mistakes here and there. This will force people to restart a game because then, variable names will surely change to be more friendly (for example if someone wants to make a walkthrough mod).

What are your thoughts?
Personally, I'd rather you bombed it and did your little rework, it's not like there's a ton of content to skip through and it's been a while since the previous release, so the skippers won't suffer much, and the ones who just replay the whole thing get a refresher course.

Reactions: frap and Huitieme

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019

or

What are your thoughts?
People are going to bitch no matter what way you solve the incompatibility of the saves. :D I think the safest option is to force the player to start a new game. It can be annoying in a "sandbox" game, but it's not a problem in Ren'Py VN. If the player doesn't want to replay the parts they've seen, they can turn on all the skipping options in the settings and it won't take more than 5 minutes to get to the beginning of a new chapter.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018

or

What are your thoughts?
I would probably go with the first one, though the 2nd option is admittedly safer, and less likely to cause more issues down the road.

Reactions: Huitieme

ArCHiS

Game Developer
Apr 30, 2020

or

What are your thoughts?

Howdy Huitieme !

Your game is really great!

regarding broken saves : Infact i think A full replay will be good even for us early vikingpersv !! :)
After all, even WE will need to "reconnect" to the story again. (It's after all a while since your 0.1 was released ! :p )

ArCHiS the Dev Says:
You are the Developer, the story is yours to write. IF you deside to "brush up" older scenes you should !!

ArCHiS the VikingPerv Says:
I hope the "fixing" does not delay the next release much !!

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017

or

What are your thoughts?
The first one definitely!

Also, you know whatever you do, people will bitch! ;)

frap

Oct 17, 2018

or

What are your thoughts?
I'm actually more of a fan of the second option, assuming you plan on making the changes in such a way that the future of the game will support your vision without needing more band-aid (plaster for you Brits, pansement for Huitie) fixes in the code that will be left.

In other words: it's better to address the technical debt early, than wait until you're nearly finished and find out that something won't work. (Yes, I speak from experience as a software engineer, and have learned the value of sometimes making breaking changes in the early parts of development to avoid massive headaches later.)

Narakumi

Mar 18, 2019
Thank you for your thought on the matter. The truth is I will work to release this update as soon as I can (your definition of "soon" may vary), but I don't think I'll abandon animations for now. I'll just wait for them to be good enough to put them in the game, precisely because of what you said. Imagine MC charming Freydis, he lays her down, and then the animation is a pathetic 2s loop with no lighting and zero artistic quality. Not on my watch! Freydis love-making scene will be magnificent, spectacular and behind a paywall full of intimacy :)
Both make the saves incompatible but dropp a couple of ideally choosen saves before the new parts/update, this method leads to the least amount of moaning possibility form the playerbase. Also who is intrested in the story will replay the old parts who is not intrested will skip it one way or another.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Both make the saves incompatible but dropp a couple of ideally choosen saves before the new parts/update, this method leads to the least amount of moaning possibility form the playerbase. Also who is intrested in the story will replay the old parts who is not intrested will skip it one way or another.
Have to be a save for each path or something, but that is a good idea for those who don't want to play the game. XD

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
I'd go with the second option, people will bitch anyway but with the first option you'd have those that choose to not restart still bitching about missing scenes even though they were told it would happen so I think the second option limit the amount of bitching in a way. What you could also do is what Mass Effect 2 did in a way back in the day, an option to jump to the new chapter with a questionnaire on all the choices made in the previous ones.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
or
In my opinion the second option.
But don't do it again! Once in the development of a game should be enough! ;)

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes