VN Ren'Py Abandoned Vinland [v0.1.8a Public] [HuitiemeGame]

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
First attempt, after 6 hours of rendering for 2s video. What do you think? It doesn't seem worth the time and energy :x
I'll try to be brutally honest as someone who likes your VN, who has played quite a few other VNs, and who has some experience as a hobby level VN developer.

Stay away from the animations.

I've never tried animation myself, but I've seen very few VNs and adult games where the animation looks good. And I prefer static images to bad animations.

I can't tell much from the animation you did. Not that it looks bad, but it's a very simple scene.
Doing a scene of, say, sex in the missionary position would be much harder because you have to synchronize a lot of movements.
And I've seen very few games where the sex animations don't look extremely unnatural.

You can make nice renders, if you had enough time, maybe you could learn to make good animations, but the question is, do you have the time?

Even now, your development isn't exactly fast.

I don't criticize slow development, as I understand it's not your full-time job. I'm an extremely slow developer myself. But it's clear that animation will make that development even slower.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I'll try to be brutally honest as someone who likes your VN, who has played quite a few other VNs, and who has some experience as a hobby level VN developer.

Stay away from the animations.

I've never tried animation myself, but I've seen very few VNs and adult games where the animation looks good. And I prefer static images to bad animations.

I can't tell much from the animation you did. Not that it looks bad, but it's a very simple scene.
Doing a scene of, say, sex in the missionary position would be much harder because you have to synchronize a lot of movements.
And I've seen very few games where the sex animations don't look extremely unnatural.

You can make nice renders, if you had enough time, maybe you could learn to make good animations, but the question is, do you have the time?

Even now, your development isn't exactly fast.

I don't criticize slow development, as I understand it's not your full-time job. I'm an extremely slow developer myself. But it's clear that animation will make that development even slower.
I disagree with nothing you've said. Right now, I'm trying animations just to see if I can make them and if there's added value to be had, but I won't use them in the game if they don't reach my extremely high standards regarding natural movements. Still pictures are a thing, but if I animate, it's all or nothing. Right now, I'm not convinced because the rendering time is way too high for such a result...

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I disagree with nothing you've said. Right now, I'm trying animations just to see if I can make them and if there's added value to be had, but I won't use them in the game if they don't reach my extremely high standards regarding natural movements. Still pictures are a thing, but if I animate, it's all or nothing. Right now, I'm not convinced because the rendering time is way too high for such a result...
Maybe if you decide to include animations one day, you could start with simple things instead of sex scenes. Maybe something like Freydis will give a seductive wink, or show a cute cut-throat gesture. :-D

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Animations for sex scenes aren't needed IMO. They do make the games better if they're high quality, but the number of them and the length they need to be to produce good scenes adds exponentially to the time and difficulty of making updates. Not many devs have the hardware to handle it. Most others they look like the characters are possessed by a demon.

I can see value in non-sex scene animations. Use them for special occasions and intimate stuff. I like the eye-blinking animations that some games have. It makes the character more alive. Although I think those are actually just a couple renders played in a loop, not a real animation.

Imagine MC charming Freydis. Her falling in love with him. And a scene of him laying in her arms as he batts his eyes lovingly at her. Gosh, I'm about to cry. :cry:

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Animations for sex scenes aren't needed IMO. They do make the games better if they're high quality, but the number of them and the length they need to be to produce good scenes adds exponentially to the time and difficulty of making updates. Not many devs have the hardware to handle it. Most others they look like the characters are possessed by a demon.

I can see value in non-sex scene animations. Use them for special occasions and intimate stuff. I like the eye-blinking animations that some games have. It makes the character more alive. Although I think those are actually just a couple renders played in a loop, not a real animation.

Imagine MC charming Freydis. Her falling in love with him. And a scene of him laying in her arms as he batts his eyes lovingly at her. Gosh, I'm about to cry. :cry:
Thank you for your thought on the matter. The truth is I will work to release this update as soon as I can (your definition of "soon" may vary), but I don't think I'll abandon animations for now. I'll just wait for them to be good enough to put them in the game, precisely because of what you said. Imagine MC charming Freydis, he lays her down, and then the animation is a pathetic 2s loop with no lighting and zero artistic quality. Not on my watch! Freydis love-making scene will be magnificent, spectacular and behind a paywall full of intimacy :)

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Thank you for your thought on the matter. The truth is I will work to release this update as soon as I can (your definition of "soon" may vary), but I don't think I'll abandon animations for now. I'll just wait for them to be good enough to put them in the game, precisely because of what you said. Imagine MC charming Freydis, he lays her down, and then the animation is a pathetic 2s loop with no lighting and zero artistic quality. Not on my watch! Freydis love-making scene will be magnificent, spectacular and behind a paywall full of intimacy :)
Sounds great, I love it!

Reactions: Huitieme

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
Well, now I expect a pathetic 2s loop with no lighting and zero artistic quality of Freydis coming next April first. You"ve boxed yourself into a corner. :p

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes