VN Ren'Py Abandoned Vinland [v0.1.8a Public] [HuitiemeGame]

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Hopefully this gets continued and finished, getting old seeing literally every good or decent VN worth getting attached to being discontinued and never picked back up
I think that the problem is that aspiring devs underestimate the amount of work needed to make a good VN.

The people who can make good VN's are likely to be people who have certain abilities and are able to hold a well-paying day job.

But that creates the following problems:
- Creating a VN consumes so much time that holding this day job becomes challenging. It may go well at first but especially in the long run it becomes problematic.
- Potential income from VN is way too little to compete with a well-paying day job in a Western country, like Huitieme's France. Especially if you need to take social security, pension and insurance payments into account. Not to mention security of income.

So, quitting the day job in order to make adult VN's is not smart. Making the VN besides the day job is difficult.

That means that most devs who are remaining are either:
- Not from Western countries (incl. more problems with language)
- Very young (e.g. in college or just finished college, meaning not a lot of experience with relationships and sex)
- Retired (meaning possibly less computer savvy)
- Not extremely bright in general

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
- Very young (e.g. in college or just finished college, meaning not a lot of experience with relationships and sex)
Shit Huitieme...
I know you are from a Western country, and I don't think you are retired yet.
Which left us with only 2 options.
I really hope you are very young...
:ROFLMAO:

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
I think that the problem is that aspiring devs underestimate the amount of work needed to make a good VN.

The people who can make good VN's are likely to be people who have certain abilities and are able to hold a well-paying day job.

But that creates the following problems:
- Creating a VN consumes so much time that holding this day job becomes challenging. It may go well at first but especially in the long run it becomes problematic.
- Potential income from VN is way too little to compete with a well-paying day job in a Western country, like Huitieme's France. Especially if you need to take social security, pension and insurance payments into account. Not to mention security of income.

So, quitting the day job in order to make adult VN's is not smart. Making the VN besides the day job is difficult.

Well, I'm retired, but I've been using computers for almost 40 years, and have kept up with the technology. My biggest challenge is probably my ADD. So far, my rendering process has been painfully slow with 3.70 GHz quad-core and a GTX 1080. In the next couple of weeks, I'll be upgrading to a 24 core 5.8 GHz, and a 4000 series graphics card. My work should move faster.

EDIT: I've completed an important step. This is my third design for the cargo ship, the Skadi. I'm pretty happy with this one.
DS Promo Pic 01 Scadi.png
Leaving Ceres
DS Promo Pic 02 Scadi Jupiter.png
Jovian slingshot

Last edited:

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
Where i can find art of this game?
Well, I guess the dev has posted a bunch of renders in this thread over time.
It's been a while he hasn't posted anything here :-(.
Reviens Huitieme ! J'ai les mêmes à la maison * :LOL:

* Come back Huitieme ! I have the sames at home.
Reference to an old French TV ad for ravioli, not even sure Huitieme know it, he is probably to young (damn! I'm too old :))

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
abandoned, so sad
was starting to look like such a great game too
Maybe, maybe not. It's true it's been quite a while since the last release of this game. But there are specific reasons for that: — real life sucks sometimes. And Huitieme still comes on F95 regularly but usually doesn't post a lot, at least not right now. I'm assuming life is still extremely hectic for him. I have full confidence in another release at some point. I would be sure to watch the thread so you can come back whenever an update happens.

Dyhart

Jul 30, 2017
abandoned, so sad
was starting to look like such a great game too
Maybe, maybe not. It's true it's been quite a while since the last release of this game. But there are specific reasons for that: — real life sucks sometimes. And Huitieme still comes on F95 regularly but usually doesn't post a lot, at least not right now. I'm assuming life is still extremely hectic for him. I have full confidence in another release at some point. I would be sure to watch the thread so you can come back whenever an update happens.
Snowstorm definitely "scratches that itch" I was pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: That said, I feel like I missed an update this had because there's some screenshots I honestly don't remember.

boobsrcool

Apr 1, 2022
Snowstorm definitely "scratches that itch" I was pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: That said, I feel like I missed an update this had because there's some screenshots I honestly don't remember.
been putting off trying that one for a bit

Rezan

Sep 1, 2017
The truth is that I don't understand the developer. I had achieved the most difficult thing, which is a fan base.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
The truth is that I don't understand the developer. I had achieved the most difficult thing, which is a fan base.
I assume it's obligations. I can't remember if any specifics were even posted, but it's very possible RL work has gotten very demanding of his time, whether he has a different job from when he started or more responsibility that eats up any free time he might have had. But there are a myriad of reasons, obviously. I definitely do miss this game, though . . . a lot.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
I assume it's obligations. I can't remember if any specifics were even posted, but it's very possible RL work has gotten very demanding of his time, whether he has a different job from when he started or more responsibility that eats up any free time he might have had. But there are a myriad of reasons, obviously. I definitely do miss this game, though . . . a lot.
If I remember correctly, he start a new job.
And then, was swallowed whole by a horrible monster called Real Life :)

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes