Collection Mod Unity Virt-A-Mate Mod Assets: Clothing,Environments,Objects,Scenes,Looks,ect.

5.00 star(s) 5 Votes
Status
Not open for further replies.

beldritch

Oct 7, 2020
Although I recognise the implications of this malicious code, at least MeshedVR implemented this in a safe way which prevents access to files outside of your VAM folder.

I'm guessing based on vague release notes that prior to 1.19, scripts had complete file system access and now they do not.

We can all stay safe from the malicious code by using a simple methodology when trying out new VAR package;

1. Have a sandbox VAM instance where you try out all your new downloads. Be honest - 95% of the shit you download here, you'll never load again! So just pile all your new downloads into your sandbox to check them out.

2. Have a "Favs" VAM instance or whatever you want to call it, where you place any VAR files that you particularly like.

This methodology keeps your "Favs" instance clear of dross that you'll never load again and completely safe from these malicious scripts.

Jeriho3

Aug 13, 2019
Now that the word about the exploit is going to spread, all the weight is going on meshedvr's shoulders.
He has to patch is shit asap.
His game is a fucking trojan horse.
I mean you don't necessarily have to be a disgruntled creator to fuck shit up, anyone could use this just for the lulz.
I've sent a dm to meshedvr on discord about it with the code that was used and asked him if there anything that can be done about it.. let's see if he replay
We also need someone to start a discussion about it in the official discord to raise awareness and get more attention about this security issue.

1. Have a sandbox VAM instance where you try out all your new downloads. Be honest - 95% of the shit you download here, you'll never load again! So just pile all your new downloads into your sandbox to check them out.
The only good thing from having all of my shit deleted is that now I can rebuild a way more cleaner VAM after everything I know now of what to keep and how to organize stuff better.

Last edited:

minh1992

Aug 6, 2017
I've sent a dm to meshedvr on discord about it with the code that was used and asked him if there anything that can be done about it.. let's see if he replay
We also need someone to start a discussion about it in the official discord to raise awareness and get more attention about this security issue.

The only good thing from having all of my shit deleted is that now I can rebuild a way more cleaner VAM after everything I know now of what to keep and how to organize stuff better.
Poor u mate, so it deleted all the things you got ?. Thank u for the warning, i was going to download that file causing you the trouble but it was quite late last night so i didn’t.

Dec 15, 2020
this are just the Hairs.
But will test a bit more...
but tried it and looks like it works
Yeah hairs\clothes will load if U will repack them, VaM is calling them by UID if it can't find them in the declared location. Textures are a different thing tho, their paths must be correct.
I was only talking about dependiency errors caused by missing 'original' vars with hairs if someone would replace them with Yours repack of them. Having both [repack & original] seems kinda silly too cuz of dupes.
And I still got no answer if You doing repacks for looks 1:1, or actually ripping scenes like i do.
The only point I'm doing repacks of looks is to get rid the scenes json files from them, to reduce my total scenes amount and make Vam load menu faster... Having them all in a single var is just a little bonus idc too much.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to attack You, or reduce Urs motivation. I'm actually happy someone started fixing stuff like I do. I was just curious the way U doing stuff. Guess I'm gonna download one of Urs repack and check it out.

/Edit/
Okay, seems like You doing 1:1. I'll pass.

Last edited:

Bfrop

Dec 22, 2017
Although I recognise the implications of this malicious code, at least MeshedVR implemented this in a safe way which prevents access to files outside of your VAM folder.

I'm guessing based on vague release notes that prior to 1.19, scripts had complete file system access and now they do not.

We can all stay safe from the malicious code by using a simple methodology when trying out new VAR package;

2. Have a "Favs" VAM instance or whatever you want to call it, where you place any VAR files that you particularly like.

This methodology keeps your "Favs" instance clear of dross that you'll never load again and completely safe from these malicious scripts.
I would very much have the Meshed's confirmation about this.

Yunjitzu

Aug 24, 2020
"The only point I'm doing repacks of looks is to get rid the scenes json files from them, to reduce my total scenes amount and make Vam load menu faster... Having them all in a single var is just a little bonus idc too much."

Thats the Point why i do it...
But with fixing i am still a noob.

Thing is... My English isnt the best.
I am still searching for a German Tutorial but didnt found some.
So its just Learning by Doing xD

jeez894

Jun 22, 2019
we can maybe start to share our created or modified scene here if some new trolls bait us with content creators infected links? I usually change a lot of stuff to accord premade scenes to my taste and if it can please someone it's not a waste to share it... and since I'm not a new member and I'm not the only one it's pretty safe for us... but can someone teach us/me how to create those files (with dependencies or anything needed to run it correctly)? or is it a bad idea ?

Heatwave

Jul 6, 2019
And the read-only tip ? Wouldn't it be enough ?
Like protecting the AddonPackages folder from writing/deleting when you play it. And you can still create scenes, because they are saved elsewhere.

Amadeus3D

Apr 9, 2020
Any way that we could all just move away from using anonfiles completely? It really is a giant lump of shit. It's ridiculously slow and larger downloads will always fail out before completing.

beldritch

Oct 7, 2020
I would very much have the Meshed's confirmation about this.
Same here. I'm fairly new to VAM so don't know what file access was possible in previous versions, but the release notes state

Plugins: new FileManagerSecure class in MVR.FileManagementSecure namespace, for safe I/O operations, including package file access.
I'm presuming this is a wrapper of the standard C# functions for file system access, but restricted to just the VAM folder. Again, I don't know what access was possible in previous versions but we do need to confirm what access it allows currently.

tarlity

Dec 9, 2017
Any way that we could all just move away from using anonfiles completely? It really is a giant lump of shit. It's ridiculously slow and larger downloads will always fail out before completing.
I never have issues with anonfiles and uploads there don't instantly vanish like megas do.

Reactions: Heatwave

bellypunch3d

May 23, 2019
I know others have said this, but always have more than one copy of your VAM folder. It's just a simple copy and paste of the entire directory. I make a backup every week or two (you can write a simple robocopy bat file) because I always expect something is going to go terribly wrong, and then I only have to redo the last week or so of content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
5.00 star(s) 5 Votes