4.70 star(s) 17 Votes

Azalael

May 1, 2020
Does anyone know How do I add an outfit to a scene? Like for example a boy coming in the mouth of a character.

wuchi

Oct 28, 2021
Check the link you posted -- it explains in all detail how to use the plugin. Quote:

"Simply add the plugin (.cslist) to the object from which you want to render (such as an Empty). You do not need the shader source files to use the plugin, they are included to enable people to change the plugin functionality if they want. The images will be saved to the "VaM\Saves\VR_Renders" folder. You can leave filename empty to use an automatic timestamp as the filename."​

It renders a bunch of images, which you then have to combine to a video -- and this process is explained on the same site as well. Quote:

"You can merge the rendered image sequences to videos using Avidemux (GUI) , FFmpeg (command line) or another program of your choice.
Avidemux is probably easiest, you just drag and drop the first image in the sequence (xxx_000000.png) into the Avidemux window, alongside your recorded audio WAV file. You can also combine several different sequences into a single video by dragging in each one (assuming they are the same frame rate). From there you can set your encoding options, add additional audio and also apply various post-processing filters. Set your frame rate under Filters -> Change FPS. Typically you may want to encode in x265 or x264 codec to MP4 muxer, choose your bitrate quality level (CRF), and for very high resolution VR content (4K and above) you may need to set certain options like "IDC Level" (higher) and under tuning "fast decode" to make sure your video looks great but can also play back smoothly without lag.
For FFmpeg, you need to place the exe file into the "Saves\VR_Renders\" folder. Basic command line usage is as follows:
ffmpeg -framerate 60 -i output8k/output8k_%06d.jpg -i music.mp3 -c:v libx265 -tune:v fastdecode -level:v 6.2 -crf 20 output8k.mp4"​

It's all there in the link you posted, and I think it's a very detailed explanation on how to use the plugin.
What else do you want to know?
When I used the plug-in to record, the frame rate suddenly became extremely low, resulting in a very low frame rate for the converted video.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
When I used the plug-in to record, the frame rate suddenly became extremely low
That's how this plugin is supposed to work: reduce the frames-per-second (FPS) so VaM can render frame after frame and then save those rendered images into a directory. Afterwards you'll need to recombine those still images to a movie. So if you want to record a 30FPS movie using this plugin, you will get 30 single images for each second of the final movie, but it might take up to several minutes for the plugin to create those images. But once you have combined those still images and saved them as a movie, you should get a smooth 30FPS video as a result.

Reactions: wuchi

Blessuall

May 15, 2022
helyeah my 3060 and 3090 ready for this vam2x. dlss suport lets see..
lets see if almost 500gb var still can faster loading in vam2x. ^^GB

Artificier

Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I'm new in this Virt-A-Mate thing, and I found all of this so difficult for newcomers it's insane. Does anybody knows if there's some kind of all in one thing I can download somewhere ?

I searched for content here and there, there's no installation instructions, no way to know what I need, so many mods, so many dependencies, I'm so lost. I think I need models and scenes, but none of those two are called so in the threads I found

I found this all in one "paywall content" but all links are dead and the thread is now closed for whatever reason, I guess they wanted to make it more clear for people but for me it's the exact opposit. If a kind soul can share me some help, I would be so grateful

Zlaito

Jun 23, 2020
Hello, I'm new in this Virt-A-Mate thing, and I found all of this so difficult for newcomers it's insane. Does anybody knows if there's some kind of all in one thing I can download somewhere ?

I searched for content here and there, there's no installation instructions, no way to know what I need, so many mods, so many dependencies, I'm so lost. I think I need models and scenes, but none of those two are called so in the threads I found

I found this all in one "paywall content" but all links are dead and the thread is now closed for whatever reason, I guess they wanted to make it more clear for people but for me it's the exact opposit. If a kind soul can share me some help, I would be so grateful
I can help you. Send me your discord name. I'll add you

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
There's no such thing as an "all in one" download -- there are Terabytes (!) of content out there, and that's definitely something you don't want to clutter your VAM installation with.

The best start would be to download a "plain" VaM (from the OP) and then use the integrated "Hub Browser" to download some FREE looks or scene to get familiar with VaM itself. Once you get more accustomed to VaM and how it works, and you know what you want to get in addition to what you can find for free on the Hub, you can start downloading content from creators themselves over on Patreon and various other sites and also from here for example. But again, that's something I would advice you to do once you've kinda learned how to use the very basics of VaM using free scenes and looks to start with.

There's a very good on YT which (although some of those videos are quite old) covers a lot of the basic questions and how to operate VaM, you should definitely check it out.

Artificier

Jun 18, 2017
There's no such thing as an "all in one" download -- there are Terabytes (!) of content out there, and that's definitely something you don't want to clutter your VAM installation with.

The best start would be to download a "plain" VaM (from the OP) and then use the integrated "Hub Browser" to download some FREE looks or scene to get familiar with VaM itself. Once you get more accustomed to VaM and how it works, and you know what you want to get in addition to what you can find for free on the Hub, you can start downloading content from creators themselves over on Patreon and various other sites and also from here for example. But again, that's something I would advice you to do once you've kinda learned how to use the very basics of VaM using free scenes and looks to start with.

There's a very good on YT which (although some of those videos are quite old) covers a lot of the basic questions and how to operate VaM, you should definitely check it out.
Thanks, I will try to find some stuff on the Hub Browser then. You gave me a good starting point, thanks a lot for that. I will also check this YT playlist

Reactions: theMickey_

DenbaJba

Dec 3, 2018
Sup guys! So, I have some questions. Which is the best Virt-A-Mate version (most compatible with everything) to have right now? Which VamX version works with that?

mixmox82

Engaged Member
Jan 19, 2022
Just use the latest that comes with the updater... there will be no more updated of 1.x as all resources are used for developing VAM 2.x

P.S: and any currently new releases are based on that version...

Reactions: DenbaJba

Artificier

Jun 18, 2017
Sadly there isn't an "all in one" solution to VAM. Because the software's capabilities are too wide. It's like trying to find an "all in one" solution to Roblox or Minecraft... including the additional fact that anyone can create their own tools\scripts for VAM.

Start simple is my suggestion. What are you trying to do at the moment? :D

edit: As mickey mentioned above, the best method is to indeed get a FREE look from VAM hub with 1 simple FREE scene. If in 5 minutes, you manage to get that working flawlessly, then you're off to a great start. I agree -> avoid <- downloading tons of content (as tempting as it is).. Nowadays I don't use more than a handful of plugins. You'll find out what you prefer best, the more you use VAM.

I personally didn't watch those YT videos though... I preferred bashing my head against the wall and pressing all the buttons in VAM to understand things.
Thank you greatly for your help. To answer your question, I'm trying to figure things out, I tried to download some stuff here and there but now my "scene tab" is really messy. I think the models are also scenes, and I need to save them as models.

Also some scenes are cut into different parts, I think this is why my scene tab is so messy right now. I think I'll follow your advice, I'm gonna delete my folder and start again with a fresh install to get rid of everything I downloaded. I won't DL a ton of things from the hub again and I'm gonna do this step by step as you advised.

Thanks again to both of you for your help, I'm really greatful. The VaM universe look as good as it's huge :geek:

Reactions: CowOwCW

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
...now my "scene tab" is really messy...
Here's a quick tip: you can "Hide" scenes from your scene tab:

1666741099454.png

Often "Looks" come with their own scenes, and what I like to do then, is: open the scene, select the character, save it as a look, and then hide the scene. That way I do not have any scenes in my scenes tab only containing looks. Same with "dependencies", which might contain scenes on their own: I will check the scene, and if I don't like it, I will hide it (I'm not deleting or moving the dependency itself, because it's it's obviously needed for the scene/look I just installed).

You can always enable "Show Hidden" at the top of your Scene Browser to access all those hidden scenes again.

In my case I have like 50-60 scenes shown in my Scene Browser at most at any time. Those are just those I often use, I like, or I want to refer later because the contain some (plugin) demos. And I often save environments I like as a scene. All other scenes (probably ~1,000+) are hidden.

Back to my advice I posted earlier:
  • start with a fresh VaM installation with no additional content
  • download a single scene/look (and of course download all the necessary dependencies)
  • check your scenes tab, and then decide, if you want to keep the file at all (otherwise delete it right away!), and if so, hide all the scenes from it and any dependencies you just downloaded which you don't want to call directly
  • if you do this for all newly added scenes/looks, you can keep your installation kinda clean and easy to navigate

P.S.: You can also use the "Hide" function in many other places, like the looks, Appearance Presets, even Plugins. It's then just "Hidden" but still installed, so VaM can access it if needed, but the item itself will not clutter your Scene Browser, Looks Browser or the number of plugins you will be shown when trying to select one.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Artificier

wuchi

Oct 28, 2021
That's how this plugin is supposed to work: reduce the frames-per-second (FPS) so VaM can render frame after frame and then save those rendered images into a directory. Afterwards you'll need to recombine those still images to a movie. So if you want to record a 30FPS movie using this plugin, you will get 30 single images for each second of the final movie, but it might take up to several minutes for the plugin to create those images. But once you have combined those still images and saved them as a movie, you should get a smooth 30FPS video as a result.
I got it thanks

Galactichusky

Feb 3, 2019
so after downloading the full file, i attempt to extract it and winrar throws up an error message with nearly no info as tot he issue. when i go to simply run the program from the rar folder it throws up the same issue. is there something i am missing?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
so after downloading the full file, i attempt to extract it and winrar throws up an error message with nearly no info as tot he issue. when i go to simply run the program from the rar folder it throws up the same issue. is there something i am missing?
You can't run this (or any) program from within the archive itself, you definitely have to unpack it first. But from what I understand you tried to extract it, but it failed without you knowing what exactly the issue is. So it's hard to give you a good advise on how to fix that issue.

But here's what you can do instead: check out this post where I explained on how and where to download the official, original "VaM_Upgrade.exe" file, it's just ~1 MB. Create an empty folder and extract the Updater into that directory and run it. It then allows you to download the latest version of the full program.

Once your download is complete, you can use a "key" to unlock the different versions of VaM, and you can get the key through subscribing to on Patreon -- or in the OP.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Saluja

johntron877

Oct 1, 2019
so i got some animations such as Soaking Wet and It's a Yard Work Life, I put them into the addon packages but their not showing up.

4.70 star(s) 17 Votes