Gunizz

Aug 9, 2017
I mean I hate it when games get abandoned too and I hate that this game abandoned, but it's a lot of work to develop these type of games and only really the devs on this site and on patreon really make enough to do it full time. Most of the time it's just a side thing and the developers are sacrificing their free time to make the game. That's one of the reasons why so many of them get abandoned because unless you're already pretty popular, its not really worth making them in the long run unless it's just a passion project. Especially when it's one person making the game and not a group of people.
I agree and I understand that for most developers a VN is just a side project, but they have too high expectations if they think a non finished product will pay for itself during development. That rarely happens. A completed product could sell well on Steam or other platforms, that is the goal they should have. Also, new developers do not attract a lot of paying supporters. A developer that has got only an abandoned project on his CV is even less attractive.

Reactions: Karl Speidel

Karl Speidel

Sep 20, 2021
I agree and I understand that for most developers a VN is just a side project, but they have too high expectations if they think a non finished product will pay for itself during development. That rarely happens. A completed product could sell well on Steam or other platforms, that is the goal they should have. Also, new developers do not attract a lot of paying supporters. A developer that has got only an abandoned project on his CV is even less attractive.
Many of them might not even want to finish it (see ToT and KoD) and just milk the fans forever with minimal work,a completed product takes effort which they dont have in them or just no vision,I blame above all the fanbase not the devs as much or more,they pay and allow things to be this way by lowering the bar to a gaping pit of frustration,devs on this site will never use this as reference in their CV unless its a finished and proper game,many who milk their fans or outright run with the money delete everything,another reason to not have games be payed for before 100% finished.

Also any gofundme or patreon should require the ID and other data from the dev,if he doesnt comply with his promises then he can be sued by his fans who payed for him or who steals and runs. Right now any scumbag can just get the money and evaporate.I cant believe any morons agree with this,anyone getting money should be registred and located for any eventuallity.

storm1051787

Mar 23, 2019
Many of them might not even want to finish it (see ToT and KoD) and just milk the fans forever with minimal work,a completed product takes effort which they dont have in them or just no vision,I blame above all the fanbase not the devs as much or more,they pay and allow things to be this way by lowering the bar to a gaping pit of frustration,devs on this site will never use this as reference in their CV unless its a finished and proper game,many who milk their fans or outright run with the money delete everything,another reason to not have games be payed for before 100% finished.

Also any gofundme or patreon should require the ID and other data from the dev,if he doesnt comply with his promises then he can be sued by his fans who payed for him or who steals and runs. Right now any scumbag can just get the money and evaporate.I cant believe any morons agree with this,anyone getting money should be registred and located for any eventuallity.

I honestly don't really think it's serious enough and that it's really the fans responsibility to decide whether they want to keep supporting them or not regardless of how frequent or infrequent the updates are. Sueing them is pointless because the point of patreon is that it's a tip jar. I really do think some of you guys go overboard over this whole milking thing. Most of the timme I see people whinning about milking anytime an update takes awhile

Karl Speidel

Sep 20, 2021
I honestly don't really think it's serious enough and that it's really the fans responsibility to decide whether they want to keep supporting them or not regardless of how frequent or infrequent the updates are. Sueing them is pointless because the point of patreon is that it's a tip jar. I really do think some of you guys go overboard over this whole milking thing. Most of the timme I see people whinning about milking anytime an update takes awhile
Stealing money is always serious,you cant say that and not be lying or delusional,its always the fault of those who make the demand not those who supply them,the fans are to blame,if you cant see the bigger picture then dont talk,sueing them IS NOT pointless cause they need to answer for any kind of fraud,its not a tip jar,what are you smoking? Those are not donations but subscriptions for updates,content and above all for the completion of games,its a kickstarter,they get money for the games,its no donation,even if so this system can be easily abused and IS abused. Milking is very real,if you rather put your head in the sand and keep spending like a good sheep then dont blame us for not wanting that,this goes beyond just one update,again no awareness for the bigger picture.2 years is overboard for you sheep?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bnshy and blurrypop

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Stealing money is always serious...
And does he steal your money?:unsure:
As a patreon you give your money willingly to the artist, so what does he steal?:oops::unsure:
Your money, the money your give him own your own free will? The money that every patreon could, if he wish to, stop giving him?:rolleyes:

Yet, you are on a site whose pirating games and at the end "steals" money from the dev. So, can you come down from your high horse and don't use double standards?

Also their is something called police. Last time I looked up, theft is in their scope of duties. So, what is your problem here? If the case is so clear, then go to the police, they will go on and get in contact with whatever site he used and get money from those site, they will follow this money.
...you cant say that and not be lying or delusional,its always the fault of those who make the demand not those who supply them,the fans are to blame,if you cant see the bigger picture then dont talk,sueing them IS NOT pointless cause they need to answer for any kind of fraud,its not a tip jar,what are you smoking? Those are not donations but subscriptions for updates,content and above all for the completion of games,its a kickstarter,they get money for the games,its no donation,even if so this system can be easily abused and IS abused. Milking is very real,if you rather put your hand in the sand and keep spending like a good sheep then dont blame us for not wanting that,this goes beyond just one update,again no awareness for the bigger picture.2 years is overboard for you sheep?
And then a word jabbering mixing even more words with different meanings together and then at last insult.
So, what have he done to you?
"Stolen" your money through Patreon? The almost 22 months of your patronage? Most, if we go with 50$/month, that would end up with 1100 $, if we use the average, it is only 100 $.
So, I dare you, I double dare you, show me your "stolen" money from him and I will give it to you.

Last edited:

storm1051787

Mar 23, 2019
Stealing money is always serious,you cant say that and not be lying or delusional,its always the fault of those who make the demand not those who supply them,the fans are to blame,if you cant see the bigger picture then dont talk,sueing them IS NOT pointless cause they need to answer for any kind of fraud,its not a tip jar,what are you smoking? Those are not donations but subscriptions for updates,content and above all for the completion of games,its a kickstarter,they get money for the games,its no donation,even if so this system can be easily abused and IS abused. Milking is very real,if you rather put your hand in the sand and keep spending like a good sheep then dont blame us for not wanting that,this goes beyond just one update,again no awareness for the bigger picture.2 years is overboard for you sheep?

It would actually cost more money to sue them that what you've probably given them. Patreon is a tip jar. It's not really a store where you're expected to receive certain goods based on the money you receive. It's more like you like what the person is doing so you give them money in hopes that they keep doing it. It's your responsibility to decide whether it's worth it to continue to support them. The idea is that if people unsubscribe to patreon that might motivate the developer to change. But it's not stealing just because a project isn't developing like you hoped or got abandoned.

Reactions: xKazuyaJinx and EJW

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
its not a tip jar,what are you smoking? Those are not donations but subscriptions for updates,content and above all for the completion of games,its a kickstarter,they get money for the games,its no donation
Let me stop you right there because at least for Patreon you don't need to smoke anything. Unless explicitely promised otherwise by a creator, Patreon indeed is a tip jar in a way, not directly connected to any tangible results (even though without any results people would of course unsubscribe in droves), it is not connected to any completion of a project - many of the projects on there don't even have anything you could call completeable. It is precisely a donation that fans give creators so that they can continue their work without having to worry about sales or catering to algorithms or similar. It is completely different from Kickstarter in that regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunizz

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
Stealing money is always serious,you cant say that and not be lying or delusional,its always the fault of those who make the demand not those who supply them,the fans are to blame,if you cant see the bigger picture then dont talk,sueing them IS NOT pointless cause they need to answer for any kind of fraud,its not a tip jar,what are you smoking? Those are not donations but subscriptions for updates,content and above all for the completion of games,its a kickstarter,they get money for the games,its no donation,even if so this system can be easily abused and IS abused. Milking is very real,if you rather put your hand in the sand and keep spending like a good sheep then dont blame us for not wanting that,this goes beyond just one update,again no awareness for the bigger picture.2 years is overboard for you sheep?
lol you seriously need to learn (or re-learn) what is Patreon and how it works.

This is literally the first thing which pops up when it's searched in google:

Snap 2024-06-27 at 08.39.28.png

So it's not like a contract where if he doesn't deliver the update dev has a legal obligation to deliver.
Onus is entirely on the Patron to whether support (or continue to support. They may decide to stop supporting the dev and decide to support another dev who they think is more worth supporting) the said dev or not.

Karl Speidel

Sep 20, 2021
You are only reinforcing my point that the fans are to blame,they take off with your money and you defend them to your last cent,hmm,maybe you deserve it. What a vicious cycle but im sure the 100th time the dev wont run away with money.

Reactions: blurrypop
3.80 star(s) 87 Votes