VN Others Abandoned Wet Nightmares [v3.4] [erkerut]

3.20 star(s) 19 Votes

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
Pretty sure it gets set to abandoned automatically if it goes a certain period of time without an update. I wouldn't get bent outta shape over it.
Pretty sure a moderator needs to add the tag by hand, but 3+ months without releases is the baseline criterion.

MTheOutsiderN

Sep 13, 2022
Pretty sure a moderator needs to add the tag by hand, but 3+ months without releases is the baseline criterion.
Does it? I have no idea honestly. I'm just quoting what I saw someone else say when asked about abandoned tags being applied. I thought that person had a moderator plaque so I assumed it was automatic like they said. Either way, in the next update the tag will be removed.

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
Does it? I have no idea honestly. I'm just quoting what I saw someone else say when asked about abandoned tags being applied. I thought that person had a moderator plaque so I assumed it was automatic like they said. Either way, in the next update the tag will be removed.
No shortage of games 'round here that have gone over the limit many times over and lack the tag clearly because nobody noticed, remembered or just got around to applying it. Tolerably certain by "automatic" they meant *qualifying* for the status, not that the actual process is - not really sure how the Hell you would code that anyway.

MTheOutsiderN

Sep 13, 2022
No shortage of games 'round here that have gone over the limit many times over and lack the tag clearly because nobody noticed, remembered or just got around to applying it. Tolerably certain by "automatic" they meant *qualifying* for the status, not that the actual process is - not really sure how the Hell you would code that anyway.
Oh okay, thanks for clarifying, I'll keep that in mind for next time. I'm no programmer but I imagine it would be possible. However, it would be overly tedious and not worth the effort.

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
I'm no programmer but I imagine it would be possible. However, it would be overly tedious and not worth the effort.
Neither am I but I've picked up a few things about the practical limitations of it. And, well, imagine for the sake of the argument a dev only releases their game on Patreon and paywalls all of their posts to subscribers only; how would a mere bot try to make anything out of the post headlines alone? (Those are often difficult enough to decipher for human readers who can grok context...) Easy enough to think of any number of other real or potential complications that would be if not impossible then at least an absolute nightmare to program around, never mind now that the bot would require constant code maintenance and improvement.

MTheOutsiderN

Sep 13, 2022
Neither am I but I've picked up a few things about the practical limitations of it. And, well, imagine for the sake of the argument a dev only releases their game on Patreon and paywalls all of their posts to subscribers only; how would a mere bot try to make anything out of the post headlines alone? (Those are often difficult enough to decipher for human readers who can grok context...) Easy enough to think of any number of other real or potential complications that would be if not impossible then at least an absolute nightmare to program around, never mind now that the bot would require constant code maintenance and improvement.
1. I hate devs that do that. "You want to know anything about what I'm making, pay up motherfucker". 2. I wasn't thinking to have the bots pull info right from the development pages. I was thinking once something is uploaded it could be added to a database with a timer on it. each new upload gets a timer. then set, bots to check the update status once per day. If the page comes back un-updated for over three months, it could have the abandoned tag automatically set. If a new update gets posted the tag would be removed. Again, I'm not a programmer so I could be completely wrong. Either way, I retain that it would be tedious and not worth the effort.

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
2. I wasn't thinking to have the bots pull info right from the development pages. I was thinking once something is uploaded it could be added to a database with a timer on it. each new upload gets a timer. then set, bots to check the update status once per day. If the page comes back un-updated for over three months, it could have the abandoned tag automatically set. If a new update gets posted the tag would be removed. Again, I'm not a programmer so I could be completely wrong. Either way, I retain that it would be tedious and not worth the effort.
Yeah that'd certainly be a lot more doable since it'd just be using info already on this site. IDK if worth the effort tho, it'd basically just be tracking *uploader* activity instead. Not that it'd stop all the "is not abandond is just XYZ" whiteknights bitching about Their Favourite Game(tm) getting tagged anyway which happens too often by half 'round here, ofc.

3.20 star(s) 19 Votes