Tairnel

Apr 25, 2020
I'm checking progress on the website and am wondering
What is supposed to be the numbers on the progress bar? :KEK: 162 of coding?? 153 of writting? and wat da fuk is 'posing'? :WutFace:
Tasks. Posing is positioning the character sprites on the background images, I guess.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Posing, as defined in the Discord's FAQ section:
How do you count posing tasks?
We count two things as posing: 1) changing all of the sprites with each line of the dialogue; 2) animations for sex scenes, cutscenes, and backgrounds. Depending on the length of the dialogue and the number of characters, a scene could have 1-5 tasks. Sex animations count as 3 tasks each. I rarely count tasks for other smaller animations (unless if I thought they would be simple, but they end up taking up my whole day -- it has happened).
So, whenever you see a character moving their hands, their eyes, and their mouth, that's part of a posing task. Those movements have to fit the dialogue, when devs playtest the content and don't feel satisfied with the initial 'pose', a new 'edit' task is added to change that initial posing.

Xidane007

Jan 5, 2020
I have stage IV lekedese. Really wanted to fap hard one last time with new content. It's awful knowing i won't even get know what happened next.

Pagoramix

May 22, 2019
Tasks. Posing is positioning the character sprites on the background images, I guess.
The numbers represent individual tasks. So they have divided "writing" into 153 different parts that need to be written, etc.

Posing is putting different elements together so they work as a whole. You don't just draw the entire frame, but rather one background, three characters, four items, etc. and then put them all in the right place to create an image. Then you maybe apply filters, test different things, detach parts of images to prepare for animation, make sure parts don't overlap, etc. For some end results, this is a simple process, but for many others, it can be quite time-consuming.
Posing, as defined in the Discord's FAQ section:

So, whenever you see a character moving their hands, their eyes, and their mouth, that's part of a posing task. Those movements have to fit the dialogue, when devs playtest the content and don't feel satisfied with the initial 'pose', a new 'edit' task is added to change that initial posing.
They're backlog task then, i get it :eek: kinda surprised they take it so professionaly, got a brand new respect to the devs now.

Thanks a lot to you all for your precise answer too:D

Reactions: bingolebongo

Tairnel

Apr 25, 2020
I used to complain about devs releasing 2 updates per year but at this point I think 1 update per two years is more likely.
How the hell did you come to this conclusion?
No seriously, I really am confused. I'd like to see your logic on this take.

KingBea

Jul 26, 2017
1654897975572.png

Hi everybody.

Hope you're all doing well. We've been very busy debugging, coding new stuff, and improving things all around. There's a short video I posted yesterday showing an example of what we mean by improvements (a word I've been using a lot in the past couple of weeks), and if you haven't checked it out, please do so.

Aside from that, we've kept working, me focusing on Rose's last quest and Chestnut doing edits and debugs (art stuff, of course). Yesterday I added new sound effects; sound-wise, I think we're only missing one music track.

After I'm done with Rose's third quest, here are the things I'll have to do: revisiting the sequence with Myrtle (with a fresh eye) and making sure it still feels good, adding extra convos (I've come up with a few) and rereading and proofreading the text for typos (from this update and the previous ones). I also want to test the game with a previous version of Ren'py because the latest version gave us a lot of performance problems last release. Oh, and optimizing the sex scenes (manually adding them to the image cache before they're called) is another absolutely essential step I need to do.

Chestnut is going to be busy with the art, and once we're both done, we'll do another round of testing, and when we decide that everything works well, we'll ask a few patrons if they're interested in doing external testing as well (I know that some of you already told me you'd like to be a tester some time ago, if you're still interested, please send me a message here on Patreon).

I want to say that we can release the update this June, and we probably will. Unless shit happens.

That's all, folks.
Have a wonderful weekend.

HoneyLibido

Dec 14, 2020
View attachment 1863254

Hi everybody.

Hope you're all doing well. We've been very busy debugging, coding new stuff, and improving things all around. There's a short video I posted yesterday showing an example of what we mean by improvements (a word I've been using a lot in the past couple of weeks), and if you haven't checked it out, please do so.

Aside from that, we've kept working, me focusing on Rose's last quest and Chestnut doing edits and debugs (art stuff, of course). Yesterday I added new sound effects; sound-wise, I think we're only missing one music track.

After I'm done with Rose's third quest, here are the things I'll have to do: revisiting the sequence with Myrtle (with a fresh eye) and making sure it still feels good, adding extra convos (I've come up with a few) and rereading and proofreading the text for typos (from this update and the previous ones). I also want to test the game with a previous version of Ren'py because the latest version gave us a lot of performance problems last release. Oh, and optimizing the sex scenes (manually adding them to the image cache before they're called) is another absolutely essential step I need to do.

Chestnut is going to be busy with the art, and once we're both done, we'll do another round of testing, and when we decide that everything works well, we'll ask a few patrons if they're interested in doing external testing as well (I know that some of you already told me you'd like to be a tester some time ago, if you're still interested, please send me a message here on Patreon).

I want to say that we can release the update this June, and we probably will. Unless shit happens.

That's all, folks.
Our new report hero has arrived, bless you sir/mam.

Paran69

Feb 24, 2018
View attachment 1863254

Hi everybody.

That's all, folks.
You are my hero….thank you

Reactions: KingBea

magicnuts

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2019
Hey.

On the tasks in the progress tracker:
I have already posted several messages in this thread explaining what we mean by the tasks in the progress tracker, how we count them, why their numbers change, how Chestnut's way of counting them differs from mine, etc. There are also several questions and answers in the FAQ channel of our discord server dealing with this very topic (thank you moskyx for copy-pasting them here). I assume going through a forum thread with so many pages may be difficult for some, so I'm going to make things easier for people and also add them to the FAQ in the OP here.

On the time taken to develop the game:
Making a game takes time. Or rather, we take a long time making the game the way we want it. And we want to keep making it the way we want it, because we have fun doing it, and if we have fun doing it, the result has a chance of actually being somewhat acceptable and also reduces the chance of us ever abandoning the project.
That's not even touching on the fact that there are so many words in each of our updates, words that need art, posing, editing, debugging, and whatnot. That all takes time.
Now it's fair if you imagine you would have done a better job; power to you and your imagination. It's also fair to hate our approach or think I don't want to wait this long or will never play this game again; okay, adiós.

On hiring new people:
I cannot think of ever hiring enough people to drastically speed up the dev time. Why? The tasks that take the longest (art and posing) are the ones we have the most fun doing. Fuck, I've been logging my time since May of 2021, and know exactly how many hours I have worked each day and looking at it, I would never have been able to put in so many hours with so few breaks if I didn't enjoy most aspects of my job. There are more reasons, of course, and I'll also be adding those to the FAQ in the OP.

On the amount and quality of the content:
I see people are hyped about the next release, which is great. We have been working very hard and really hope that most people will enjoy the result of our work. But I've got to warn you to temper your expectations. The update wasn't made with any specific player in mind, and while we like what we've made, we're obviously biased and have our own likes and dislikes. So if you come to play it with an extremely high expectation, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. The same goes for the amount of content. I think there are more than a few minutes of gameplay, but that's with my playstyle. Your mileage may vary.

On the lack of meaningful choices:
If we wanted the choices to impact the outcome of the story, we would take even longer to develop each release (for it to not feel half-assed, it would need extra art and posing). And I also don't like it when in some games, some choices change the outcome but others don't. So for us, it was either all choices have an impact on the narrative or none of them do. We with the latter, of course. Why do we still have choices, then? Plenty of reasons, all posted earlier in this thread, but the gist of it is that I find them a useful tool for breaking a long dialogue and injecting some humor here and there. The one thing I should have done better (and will do in 0.6 if I have the time) is adding a message at the beginning of the game, clearly telling the player that their choices don't impact the story so that there's no surprise when they don't.

On criticism:
You're welcome to criticize every aspect of the game and our development approach. We've been doing this for over two years now, and since people on the internet never hold anything back, it's likely we have already heard your criticism from another mouth, and either it's something we cannot do anything about, prefer to keep it as it is, or have some changes planned in response to it. Still, criticism is welcome, and there are always new ideas we haven't considered. In fact, many of the suggestions here and elsewhere have improved the game.
That said, some people seem prone to mistake name-calling for well-thought-of-criticism. That, I'm afraid, doesn't count.

Also, thank you to all those people who have been answering questions on this thread and trying to help folks who need genuine help. I still upload the progress tracker in the OP every day but have sort of stopped reading the posts.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
we take a long time making the game the way we want it
...and please keep it this way! As I said in my review from almost two years ago, your game is a true masterpiece, and I can only hope it will stay like this! Excellent graphics, the best Renpy game (when it come to the UI and controls) I've ever seen with no (at least to my knowledge) bugs -- it still feels like a professional game!

Please, take all the time you need, I don't mind -- as long as you keep us entertained with your game! I've been supporting you on Patreon since I've discovered this gem of a game, and I will continue to do so until this game will be complete! I love your work! <3

HoneyLibido

Dec 14, 2020
One of two things happen in threads like this when it concerns updates:

If you are not a patreon and have any criticism then everyone basically says "shut up already you're not a sub"

If you are a patreon and you are here with criticism too well then it's basically "shut up and unsub already"

Just an observation in probably every thread that exists here, especially the popular ones.

KiichiYakuza

Mar 2, 2022
One of two things happen in threads like this when it concerns updates:

If you are not a patreon and have any criticism then everyone basically says "shut up already you're not a sub"

If you are a patreon and you are here with criticism too well then it's basically "shut up and unsub already"

Just an observation in probably every thread that exists here, especially the popular ones.
kinda wrong there bud, at least from what I've noticed, most of the times
usually the criticism is something like :
"amagad dev you suck donkey balls, why you no release update?amagad you suck"
now I must say this , while the criticism that I read it's not word for word like that.. it's basically that message.
if users would try to give constructive criticism I seriously doubt anyone would say what you're saying.
also the way most users convey their criticism ..

4.70 star(s) 448 Votes