whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
You can always report posts or ignore users you dont like.
Personally i think filters words is a terrible idea and i hope it never happens.
Yes, I agree that an auto-delete function on key words would be awful.
There are absolutely cases where the term "milking" is valid & comments can then serve as a warning to others.

But, when the term is just lazily banded around & applied to games that don't warrant it, it loses that capability of warning, as most will end up ignoring it as they've seen it used so many times without just cause.
It removes the urgency.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Xupuzulla

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
To ensure that they can continue earning a decent salary doing something that they enjoy for a living.

You talk as if their support will unconditionally remain. It won't.
If they do what you're suggesting & just string patrons along, they won't be able to make a living from it for very long.
If they ensure that what they deliver is good & justifies the wait (along with the already accepted justification for the delay, caused by two operations & a new child), then their existing patrons remain happy.

Finshing a project is not exactly necessary & doesn't need to be the goal, for these types of games.
If they can come up with new stories, new areas to explore, etc, why does the project need to end?
As long as they can maintain their own interest in telling a story & keep coming up with fresh ideas that keep players engaged, "finishing a project" is really not necessary.

How many times have you reached the end of an enjoyable game & wished there was more of it? I can think of a good few.
Well, there is one reason to finish, and that is that you can make a LOT more money on Steam and stuff than you can on Patreon, even for a well supported dev. So if you are not using Illusion's art for your game, than finishing it is certainly worth while. If you finish a game, and then start a new one, you will make a lot more than "milking" as so many accuse devs of doing.

DemiMaximoff

Jun 10, 2018
These "patreon is just like the patron system of the past" comments have to stop. Ain't no artist keeping their head if they promise the king paintings every one or two months, and then keep collecting from his treasury without any output for 1.5 years.

Patreon users are not funded by one big rich man. They are funded by many non-rich men, whom, given their financial decisions seen here, are deservedly non-rich

sadly_smashed

Jan 26, 2022
Played it last year. Really good game, very complete. Search it up to see how far it has gone, and, nothing? what hell happened? I just saw a devlog on the other page so it is not abandoned, has every single adult game dev just decided not to finish their games to keep the patreon thing?

wd1111

Sep 26, 2021
These "patreon is just like the patron system of the past" comments have to stop. Ain't no artist keeping their head if they promise the king paintings every one or two months, and then keep collecting from his treasury without any output for 1.5 years.

Patreon users are not funded by one big rich man. They are funded by many non-rich men, whom, given their financial decisions seen here, are deservedly non-rich
I have another theory - diversification, most of these devs start with 1 game, but quickly realize that 5 starter that do catch on rake in a lot more than a single, constantly updated, project
so they keep making new projects to get more and more $$, leaving less and less time to finish any of the projects, because the excuses here and the reports are just silly at this point

and you have the white knight supporter army to defend them for free of course ;)

Burgundy

Jul 26, 2017
Played it last year. Really good game, very complete. Search it up to see how far it has gone, and, nothing? what hell happened? I just saw a devlog on the other page so it is not abandoned, has every single adult game dev just decided not to finish their games to keep the patreon thing?
The incentives just aren't there. Despite all the complaining, this community is very happy giving money virtually forever without any real concrete proof of work so why would the devs do things any differently?

Buffalo Fred

Aug 5, 2016
This game probably had the most potential of any game here for me. But the updates taking so damn long just kills the interest. I don't understand why they can't hire extra help with the patreon money, surely faster development means more paying customers.

Kirel

Mar 18, 2018
This game probably had the most potential of any game here for me. But the updates taking so damn long just kills the interest. I don't understand why they can't hire extra help with the patreon money, surely faster development means more paying customers.
There is a FAQ item on their Discord about this:

Why don't you add more members to the team?
- The tasks that take the longest are also the stuff we have the most fun doing (art, posing), and prefer to do them mostly ourselves.
- We have already commissioned and continue to commission a talented artist to help us design the backgrounds and the environments.
- We're a married couple, work in the same physical space, work well together, change things all the time, test new ideas, and have an established work routine. I would consider hiring people to work with us in an office or a studio, but given the NSFW nature of the game, that's out of the question, and I prefer not to change my work routine.
- We're happy working on the game full-time, people have been happy so far with the result of our work, and our patrons have expressed they prefer us to keep doing what we're doing. Changing what works seems unnecessary and unhelpful.
- Assuming that we wanted to add new members, it is not easy to find people who can say produce artworks that exactly match the styles of the game, and we do not want there to be two different art styles. What that means is that Chestnut will still have to be doing the finishing works, and extra coordination, that is likely to take her as much time as it does now.
- Some tasks are easier to outsource (e.g., the coding), but those are the easiest and the fastest parts of our job.

Clobbertime

Jan 10, 2021
- We're happy working on the game full-time, people have been happy so far with the result of our work, and our patrons have expressed they prefer us to keep doing what we're doing. Changing what works seems unnecessary and unhelpful.
Except that the patrons voting to switch to bigger updates that take more time was them expressing they prefer they don't keep doing what they were doing and switching to the bigger updates that take more time actually was changing what had been working and having people happy with the results.

I can't help but wonder how that patron vote would have turned out if they had any idea of just how much more time it was going to lead to the updates having.

Reactions: evilman3

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Except that the patrons voting to switch to bigger updates that take more time was them expressing they prefer they don't keep doing what they were doing and switching to the bigger updates that take more time actually was changing what had been working and having people happy with the results.

I can't help but wonder how that patron vote would have turned out if they had any idea of just how much more time it was going to lead to the updates having.
That quote was writen after the switch to larger updates -when some people who were not happy with the increase of waiting times between updates asked why they weren't hiring any help. Anyway, just take a look at from 2021 (when they released the first character focused update) and you might see that this is exactly what their actual supporters want. Even after almost 18 months without a release, their support don't clearly decline.

Reactions: Kirel

OtakuGamer11

Jan 19, 2019
Don't think we'll be able to play the update this year imo which is a first. Ngl, I'm so tired of all this waiting...
Hmm, I think this is the first year without a single update. Unless they'll release one for Christmas. Either way, I hope it doesn't end up abandoned, it'd be a shame, it being so close to being finished, but that also gives me hope as I doubt they'd just drop it so close to the finish line. Guess I'll stick along and see if my original faith in them was misplaced or not.

Reactions: ogapetape

Syrabert

Nov 27, 2022
just curious : what do you mean with "close to be finish" ? do you mean the game or only the update ?
In case of the game: In the faq they wrote about update 0.8 (holly), followed by 0.9 (tba).
lets assume they don't have additional IRL-problems and the next updates after 0.7 will take only a half year each that would mean we are in for an additional year (+) in dev-time.

edit: i just jumped into my dmc-12, took the tardis and got a picture of the WAL-fanbase at the final release of WAL:
licensed-image.jpg :p

Last edited:
4.70 star(s) 448 Votes