VN - Ren'Py - Where It All Began [Ch. 3 Full] [Oceanlab]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Duncanidaho

Finally something fresh girls are very very different from the common. They are usually kind of crazy but I see this as a good thing cause I missed these type of girls from games. Choices seems matters and renders are beuatiful. Animitions are awesome especially at the end (v0.6 ). Game will be a little rework so we will see at the and but great great potential has in it.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Maelmstrom

I'd played it until 0.3 and it was good, then I let it rest for a while until new content were released. Now I've tried this reworked version in 0.6 and it's mindblowing, the animations, the lights and shadows, the effects, damn even the transitions are so awesome. In that aspect I believe they rised to the top (at least in the F95 "cataloge").
    And I really appreciate that they dare to change the story, some authors will stuck with their early releases and "patch" the plot in the next releases without rewriting the first part even if they though of someting better

In short.. 10/10 and if I wasn't in a country with and average salary of U$s 250 I would love to become a Patreon, but sadly I'm too poor for that.
    Please keep the good work and my best wishes fot both of your current games
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Chesunginamo

Low the twist and turns from this game the suspense the hot scenes the sceneries the characters all in all hoping for a new update as soon as possible wanted to know what will happen in the end hehe thanks for creating such a great game interesting story tho and love the harem hehe.
  4. 4.00 star(s)

Ass Man

Man, this game is really good, it has all the qualities to be a 5 stars game, story, characters, animations, renders, writting, but one thing kept me for going 5 stars , and this thing is the short story.

Idk how many hours of gameplay this game has, but it isn't much, at least for a game from 2018, when i reached the end of version 0.6, i couldn't believe it, it was too soon...i mean, it has like 4 hours of gameplay, but i played games from 2020 that had the same amount of gameplay hours or even more. So i was really frustated, it's a pitty, it has so much potential, but i feel like the dev doesn't know how to explore this potential.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

KingWeWuz

The characters, in my opinion, are so awful and the storytelling is done in a way I can't stand. Yet, despite that I can't help but admit it's got amazing writing and graphics.

I'd love to complain about his characters for a page or two, but it's really just my opinion. I either don't dislike some characters or outright can't stand them.

I went in with NTR turned off. I don't know why you kept ntr scenes with ntr censored in them. As an example: the doctor pulls off her pants, feels her legs a bit, stares at a thong on her ass and thinks about jacking off and talks about how lucky the boyfriend is. Another very, very, long scene, introducing her ex-boyfriend, features her given the option of teasing him by wearing skimpy outfits.

Actually I think this bitch genuinely hurts the game. I didn't want her on my dick, didn't enjoy almost every scene with her, I think her hair and face are the worst female model in this game, save for the fat butch girls in the all genders prison you're sentenced to(very progressive decision btw). She really plays videogames topless on a livestream and screams at her pc while you're trying to sleep? Weird, her family is looking for her and have, at minimum, extreme training, and police connections. So why would she expose her tits to get views of guys who are going share her pics across the internet?

The writing here feels genuinely bad to me. They really don't add anything to the game. If there's no relevant plot info in these scenes, I think you're better off just cutting the scenes from the game itself [in the no ntr route.]

Now, onto the past with why Katie is a degenerate, trashy ass bitch with fucked up hair and piercings all over her face. The girl portrays herself as a kindhearted victim of your bullying, but it's really not the case.

I won't go too far into it, but my own sister and I would go to war with each other at times and a few cut up toys was not uncommon. And Katie really is a loser. She blames her siblings for not being able to find a single friend in a school filled with children.

At first glance for someone who maybe doesn't have siblings growing up I can see why they would have sympathy for the girl. But I see her as someone with more fault and blame. And worse, she's not willing to apologize for anything she did regardless of whether or not you apologize for neglecting her... or even for drugging you and potentially killing you. And in order to pursue her route why exactly must we
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
    ?

Now I hate characters who I have the choice of being mean or nice to, not knowing the backstory about who is at fault. We find out later on, which makes the decisions meaningless at the time.

I didn't like the characters, and much of the story, and even the way it was written... couldn't even really fap to it either. So why th 4 stars? Much of what I didn't like was fairly subjective; I'll admit most would probably really enjoy this game. The use of animations is extraordinary and the dialogue is near-perfect given the characters. Both lesbian and ntr is a nogo for me so I didn't enjoy a large volume of the content. The only part of the story which seemed bonkers crazy impossible was the unisex prison, which I'm guessing will become legitimate soon.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Lord Soth

Played a lot of VN games and this is now in my top 3.

The renders are excellent and the CG scenes slick as hell. The ladies are just....way too sexy! I want to collect `em like Pokemon!

The story had me hooked and Chapter 6 just blew me away. it`s that good!

Top Notch work. this Dev has great talent.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

there

Review for chapter 6 in a nutshell: If you have money you better start throwing them at this developer now. I had hopes but this update surpassed them quite unexpectedly.

Summary of PROS, I've been playing this game since it released and it was interesting the renders were OK and the story was interesting with a somewhat linear story-telling based game-play choices (which I prefer) rather than an open world exploration setting. Therefore, I kept going on with it. It however 'used' to lack sounds and an overall atmosphere. Which made overall game just above average.

Now, it has changed so much for the better. Saying the renders and animations are better than before would be a huge understatement. The renders and animations alongside the excellent ambient music have reached to such a level that I though that this game was meant to impress an animation company.

The direction of the story has also changed for the better by fleshing it out so much so suddenly, I though we were in the John Wick universe for a moment, just without the assassins (which might change in the future).

The every individual character have also been eminently fleshed out which I was starting to see in the 0.5 update. I now truly feel invested in where every character goes which is something I was not expecting in an erotic game. This includes the MC, his father, sisters, lawyer, mother, uncle and the people being a bunch of sods.

However there are some CONS, although we have an idea as to where every character is going I am not sure we will get to see the total actualization of all the character other than the sisters and the mother.

Plus, now that the liner choice based system has a lot of branching options we may vary well miss out on a lot of renders and scenes which very well might bother to a lot of people (including me) therefore a full walkthrough is necessary. As I felt I did not get to see enough.

So finally, I'd recommend making the different renders and scenes more accessible, therefore hopefully making the coding and variables stores more easier to deal with. Plus getting to see more of every character would be great.

Overall, lovely work in the latest update. I god-damn love the soundtrack choices and where this game is going. I wish the developer success, especially in these trying times due to COVID-19. Please take care of yourselves and thank you for making us enjoy our times here.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

Ghostredneck

This is another amazing story! Summers gone Dev continues excellent presentation and story. The interactions are touching and deep, I am looking forward to seeing this story unfold!

The potential going forward in this story is amazing, and the multiple paths avail add much replay ability!
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Steviehg84

This is one of the best games on the site, its got a great story with likable & one or two characters I hate, but the writing is that good to make you either feel for a character or dislike them takes skill.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

Warren Piece

If I was to rate this on a scale with the other graphic novels on here, chapters 1-5 would be 5 stars for it's story, renders, and it's potential. Chapter 6 is on an entirely different scale altogether.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one play out more than any other I've played from this site..
  11. 5.00 star(s)

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

TL;DR: This was a 4/5. This is a 4.5/5. This shows great promise to become a 6/5.

Preface: In it's current state, this game is a 4.5/5 and is in a state of total overhaul so the future is uncertain, but the latest update, which is in the same format as the overhaul is insanely promising.

Time to 100%: ~12 hours. I'll be honest, this is just a guess. I played two playthroughs over 5 days and never kept track of the time.

Story: Even with all the content already in the game, I feel it's just starting up. I love it so far, but I don't really know what to say for it.

Graphics - Chapters 1-5 (pre-overhaul): Nothing special. They're pretty average and look straight out of the rendering engine with little or no additional work. I think there's one animated scene, but otherwise none.

Graphics - Chapter 6 (overhaul): Holy fucking shit. I have never seen better graphics in any VN, period. There are cinematics with absolutely unparalleled quality where you can very easily than see that an insane amount of work was put into them. Every frame of this update is flawless. I have only two complaints. The first is that the cutscenes are darker than the stills and not seamless at all. The second is that the animations in the cinematics aren't great. The dev himself said he is learning as he goes, so I expect neither complaints to apply in the future.

Extra things: The latest update overhauled the menu and I think I bust a nut when I first saw it. That single update is a 6/5 on it's own.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Cottoncloud

One of the best works I encountered so far, choices that affect story, drama and sex all mixed in with fine up to great characters designs, some feel as if they'd need a bit more love and detail... but it's still in development and recently had visual update fore some of the characters. If you are not sure about it, or some kinks scare you away... I still think you have to give it a chance to mesmerize you with it's story.
  13. 3.00 star(s)

kameohawk

edit; It's been 3 years since I reviewed this. The game has been ripped up and started again so it feels right to have another look.

A lot of what I said below is still valid both good and bad. The game, visually is lovely but suffers from that "no ugly people allowed" issue. All the women are massively breasted, beautiful sex maniacs so it's a bit tiring.

The game REALLY struggles with tone. It seems to work better when it's light hearted, making jokes about spiders and what not. When it shifts to the "meat" of the game, with the mystery orgnisations and people who know something not revealing it... it's less fun. Sadly there's a lot of characters who obviously know more than you do and to be fair it just gets tiring. It's not helped that the Leia lassie has the looks and the mystery but comes off way too much like a bitch. Her reasons for it are sound given the MC's actions but it's laid on too thick. She's mysterious, hates the MC to a degree and disregards any attempt at reconciliation. That's perfectly fine but as the game very obviously has plans for you two to resolve the issue, just not now, then it gets tiring every time she talks.

The game's worth your time, but I fear it struggles with an all too common issue, there's so many characters that I fear updates will be slow as high hell and because it's a mystery then you're probably better ignoring it till it's complete then playing it then.

There's also a bit.... it happens about halfway through chapter 2 I think that's so sudden I genuinely thought I'd left auto-skip on. It is literally a case of

random conversation with characters
    Huh, I saw someone over there.
    let's go look

and then you get hit a MASSIVE bit of plot with like zero preamble.And not only that, your girlfriend is there... like.... why? How is she there? This point alone is worth removing a star from the rating. What a mess of a story.
    ----------
    An......... interesting game. Renders are top class. If you look hard enough you'll see the same assets as you've seen elsewhere but you'd have to really really look which shows the developer is really putting the time and effort in to give this game a nice .

The story is... peculiar. It walks an incredibly fine line between mysterious and meandering. At times it almost feels like the author believes they're a bit more clever than they probably are. It's engaging but at the same time it throws a LOT of mystery at you to the point it can feel absurd. Now don't get me wrong...... I know what you're thinking "But Kameo, it's a sex game, what are you expecting?" and you'd be right. I'm hardly expecting an Academy Award but it is a game, you want to engage with the player and guide them through. However, the game at times feels like it goes just beyond that. Not downright absurd where you'd drop it but it gets close a few times where you're left going "oh come on..."

Characters are fun and well fleshed out and just the right amount to make you feel interested as opposed to overwhelmed in trying to remember who is who. Not an NTR fan so the game gets a big plus for giving the option to just cut that out

An interesting game, curious to see where it goes.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

jack_daniels_

Reviewing after playing 0.6:
    Renders: 5/5
    Animation: 5/5
    Story:10/5 !!

I really like games with story, but on the other side it should also not be too much blueballing! This games seems to find the perfect balance which I expect.
    Once I started playing, I really didn't realize how much time had passed.
    And boy the story progression was great in the latest release, I really felt like Katie is a real person and she has been wronged!
    Would highly recommend this game.
  15. 4.00 star(s)

YouKnowDean

I'm writing this review before the rework of the earlier chapters, as of this moment episode 6 is the latest available. Also, I play with NTR disabled, so I can't comment on that content.

If we go by the first 5 chapters, this game is very average with a few standout points. The overall plot is interesting and there are enough mysteries to keep one going. The other already great point is Katie, who, in my opinion, is the most beautiful character model in a visual novel ever, even sending [popular game about fraternities] to rank 2. She's also characterised interestingly and gets better as the story progresses. The other models are average at best and sometimes have weird facial expressions, not bad enough to go below 3 stars though.

And the absolute worst part is the RNG in chapter 5. This is actually the biggest negative point of the whole game and the one I consider bad game design in a Romance VN/Dating Sim.

Where it really picks up is chapter 6 and my god, if this is how the rework will be and how the game continues, we're looking at one of the top 3 games on this page. This can't be highlighted enough, but the presentation is now out of this world and something that no other game I've played yet did so well. A lot of story scenes are animated and have shifting perspectives and angles, which makes them more dynamic and atmospheric. Also: This game has fucking cutscenes now. And they are incredible. Somehow in episode 6 the production value of the whole game was upped to a level that is reminiscent of [popular game about fraternities] or [popular game about mercenaries and mutants]

Additionally and importantly, all characters have upgraded character models and it makes a world of difference, they are top tier. This was also good in the episodes before, but I like how different bodytypes are represented and that there are girls with normal sized boobs. There are still those with unrealistically big breasts and sadly more of those get introduced it seems, but there are enough without overdone bodies.

I guess the only very minor complaint I'd have for now is that the UI during the game doesn't reflect the upgraded prodcution value yet. Some names are hardly readable in the textbox and while that is really unimportant, it detracts a bit of the whole feeling of value that this game delivers.

When it comes to the writing, it's a good game, but not as standout yet. It's not on par with the great writing of [popular game about a dead wife and two daughters], although it does have at least one emotionally impactful event and it seems in episode 6 and the rework of the first 5 episodes we might get more of that in the backstory of the MC. From how the story seems to develop it's probably closest to [popular game about a detective noir], in the sense that you get thrown into a situation that is bigger than you. It's a really good story setup, but we'll have to wait and see if Ocean can deliver on that promise when the game is finished.

It also seems like we might get some great fetish content in this game, which I appreciate incredibly much. From what I've seen so far we get anal play and, just from what words one character uses, maybe even Hucow. I at least am very happy with that direction, though I'm biased since my favourite characters also has one of my favourite fetishes.

Considering this is still without reworked Episodes 1-5 I can only give this game 4 stars, but if episode 6 is the quality we can expect from now on, I'd give it 5 stars (or maybe 6, if I could).

Playing episode 6 made me a patreon, it's just so fucking good.

*removed other game names to comply with the rules
  16. 4.00 star(s)

dosenspezi

Despite a rough start into the story, this plot truly has its moments. Especially with Katie! Her bold and edgy behavior made me go through several branches just to find out why and how to get along with her. While on my way, I've got to make some hard decisions. Hell, yes, I felt involved at the end of chapter 6. Not just because of fancy animated pan shots. Thumbs up! Recommended to follow.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

TahuBulat

well, this game is turned out to be one of ky favorite pick, i love the render and the animation, showing up a lot of improvement and also the story is great, i didn't know it would be this complex, as for sounds effect maybe you could put some effect on it, but still it's great, as for me, i would give it 8/10
  18. 4.00 star(s)

Canade

Animations 5/5
    Story 5/5
    Characters 5/5

I played this game awhile ago, liked it, but stopped playing. It has a solid story and great characters, so why'd I stop playing? The GF is freaking awesome and I didn't want to cheat; and she had little content at the time. Since the only way to unlock the other H-scenes is by cheating, I stopped playing. Simple as that.

Great game. Would recommend a playthrough.

rework 0.1:
    Animations 2/5
    Story 5/5
    Characters 5/5

It's a nice rework and great story, but the animations kill it for me.

Quality animations can be done without shaking the screen, and it should be obvious that shaking the screen is bad for the brain, yet some developers do it anyways. It makes no sense, does not simulate a VR experience, and completely deters me from wanting to play or even support this game.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

turlough

Great game so far, keep up the great work. Will be following this with interest as it develops. Great models and an interesting story line... I had one issue in my run where I seemed to hire my lawyer twice, on day one of the camping trip and again the second day, but other than that, I really was impressed with this game...
  20. 5.00 star(s)

rev_01

Going into the game, I always expected it to be a decent game due to the other work I have seen of Oceanlab, but I was completely shocked at how much better the game was than my expectations.

The characters and environment all look fantastic and it is clear to see that a great deal of effort went in to creating amazing visuals. The animations are also excellent, and the poses and facial expressions of the characters add an extra level of depth to the story as you can see the emotions on their face and see how they are feeling.

The entire story is very interesting and nearly every interaction I had with another character was enjoyable and most served to further the plot. The detail given to every character in crafting a fantastic storyline and backstory is evident throughout the game, especially in my favourite character, Katie.

She was always a great character in my eyes, but after a certain event in the game, she went from a great character, to a brilliant character and definitely one of the best characters I've seen in a game. Oceanlab perfected this character and I assume he will perfect many others if not all in the future releases of the game.

I definitely highly recommend playing this game, I can assure you, you won't be disappointed.