Phalzyr

Modder
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I did think those two were a bit used too much, myself. Though, just like ellipsis its a preference thing, except for caps usage. I did notice ***giggle*** ***laughs*** and such has been used more in later episodes. Dang, you know I was trying to match his writing style... I wonder if I used hehe and haha too much, lol!

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Yeah I did think those two were a bit used too much, myself. Though, just like ellipsis its a preference thing, except for caps usage. I did notice ***giggle*** ***laughs*** and such has been used more in later episodes. Dang, you know I was trying to match his writing style... I wonder if I used hehe and haha too much, lol!
And what about "snigger" when it should be "snicker"? Just sayin' is all.

Deleted member 1019532

Nov 18, 2018
People tend to forget that English, whether it be British English, American English, or even Australian English, is the hardest language in the world to learn. English, whatever variant, has more words than any other language, and those words are constantly morphing/mutating/changing their meaning over time.

Hell, between British English and American English the same word or phrase can mean something completely different, or even the opposite.

Stop and think for a second, how many ways are there to say "hello" or "goodbye" in conversational use?

In English it's "I love you," yet in Russian or French it's "I you love."

Yes, non-native-English-writers are going to occasionally get it a little wrong, the language will appear stilted, but we should be a little forgiving. Hey, they're trying.

Phalzyr

Modder
Nov 7, 2017
Oh, I enjoy it, but it just doesn't seem like something that requires a writer on staff.
Well without a writer you'd just have an image gallery... I guess if that is your thing. Cheeky has been wearing many hats while working on this game, writer is just one of them.

• Love
Reactions: seamanq

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
People tend to forget that English, whether it be British English, American English, or even Australian English, is the hardest language in the world to learn. English, whatever variant, has more words than any other language, and those words are constantly morphing/mutating/changing their meaning over time.

Hell, between British English and American English the same word or phrase can mean something completely different, or even the opposite.

Stop and think for a second, how many ways are there to say "hello" or "goodbye" in conversational use?

Yes, non-native-English-writers are going to occasionally get it a little wrong, the language will appear stilted, but we should be a little forgiving. Hey, they're trying.
I tend to agree, unless some awkward translation makes the meaning of the text unclear. Then, having pretty pictures is not enough.

Oh, and in Russian, articles ('a', 'an', 'the') are virtually non-existent, as are 'that'/'this'. So, if you see them screwed up or missing in the text, that may be the reason.

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Not exactly. Depending on context, you can say either: "я тебя люблю" or "я люблю тебя". Furthermore, Russian is inflected language, тебя doesn't have corresponding form in English. It's accusative, and English started losing grammatical cases in time of Viking raids.
Oh, and in Russian, articles ('a', 'an', 'the') are virtually non-existent,

as are 'that'/'this'. So, if you see them screwed up or missing in the text, that may be the reason.
Russian simply doesn't have articles. But it does have demonstrative pronouns. More precisely: этот (this), тот (that).

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Russian simply doesn't have articles. But it does have demonstrative pronouns. More precisely: этот (this), тот (that).
Exactly. But those pronouns are seldom used, and only for emphasis. A Russian might say, "Bring me pencil. No, THAT pencil.".

Of course, I assume your Russian is light-years better than mine, which is from a previous lifetime, and much forgotten.

Reactions: Thermophob

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Exactly. But those pronouns are seldom used, and only for emphasis. A Russian might say, "Bring me pencil. No, THAT pencil.".

Of course, I assume your Russian is light-years better than mine, which is from a previous lifetime, and much forgotten.
I am not native Russian speaker, but my language is related to Russian, and quite similar. Slavonic languages have different logic when it comes to demonstration. Which was part of original point, that different languages have different thought process behind, and lot of meaning can be lost in translation.
Anyway, I wouldn't go further in off topic. :)

Reactions: Walter Victor

Vojvoda

Mar 21, 2019
I am not native Russian speaker, but my language is related to Russian, and quite similar. Slavonic languages have different logic when it comes to demonstration. Which was part of original point, that different languages have different thought process behind, and lot of meaning can be lost in translation.
Anyway, I wouldn't go further in off topic. :)
what is slavonic ?

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
what is slavonic ?
I have heard it used as the origin of the Slavic languages (Russian, Polish, Serbian, etc.). In Russian, I have seen the term Old Church Slavonic used to describe the language used in some hymns. In that context, it might be like Middle English.

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
what is slavonic ?
Another term for Slavic branch of languages.
I have heard it used as the origin of the Slavic languages (Russian, Polish, Serbian, etc.). In Russian, I have seen the term Old Church Slavonic used to describe the language used in some hymns. In that context, it might be like Middle English.
Here I meant Slavic language family. There are other uses like Proto-Slavic or Proto-Slavonic which would be common ancestor, and Old Church Slavonic, which is Liturgical language of Orthodox Slavs, and in past was Literary language of educated classes in Russia, Serbia, Bulgaria and even Romania (not Slavic country, but they were influenced by neighbours.

Reactions: Walter Victor
4.40 star(s) 324 Votes