Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
Welp, I finally tried the UE5 build for the first time, and I have to give it credit for being the first game in four years to lock up my system so badly I had to use the physical reset button on my pc. Guess I'm stuck on the old UE4 builds for the forseeable future

Smopy

Dec 22, 2017
Welp, I finally tried the UE5 build for the first time, and I have to give it credit for being the first game in four years to lock up my system so badly I had to use the physical reset button on my pc. Guess I'm stuck on the old UE4 builds for the forseeable future
For me, it seems that the UE5 version is more demanding than Elden Ring.
Holy fuck, is the UE5 version that bad? I was going to give a try on the UE5 with my 1050 ti, most of the time I played without problems in the UE4 version, medium-high, in the sandbox to be precise, had my fun but after this I'm kinda worried

aurinkojakuu

Jul 22, 2018
For me, it seems that the UE5 version is more demanding than Elden Ring.
Not surprising. I'm able to run Elden Ring at ~45 fps on high and I was getting well under 10 on high settings in Wild Life's last update. I figured it was temporary and it was going to become less comically bad next update, is that at least the case? I don't want to waste my time with this until they at least make it function for people who don't have absolute top-of-the-line hardware

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
Holy fuck, is the UE5 version that bad? I was going to give a try on the UE5 with my 1050 ti, most of the time I played without problems in the UE4 version, medium-high, in the sandbox to be precise, had my fun but after this I'm kinda worried
I also have a 1050 ti, though my CPU is where things bottleneck (FX-8320, released in 2012). The UE4 version I can run at 60 FPS in the showroom with light to medium amount of props, while still getting around 30 FPS average everywhere else with everything on epic. The UE5 version though... The showroom still ran okay, maybe 45 FPS. The Old Wild Life map is completely gutted, no textures, no caves no props, so I couldn't use that one. The New Map is filled with props and any time I spawned in or went to a prop-heavy area the game just died. Even getting outside of the prop-heavy areas, the map just ran like shit. This was after I made sure that the FPS limit was at 60 (it defaults to enabled at 20 FPS for some reason?).

After only a couple minutes of being open, it locked up on a loading screen and forced me to hit the reset button on my tower because I couldn't alt+tab or ctrl+alt+delete. So I'm not chancing that again.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucifer84 and Smopy

D0v4hk1n

Oct 4, 2017
"Wild Life seems more demanding than Elden Ring"

Comment of the day for me. It's like people ignore facts on purpose. Elden Ring runs on the same PS3 engine that produced Demon Souls on PS3 & is a finished product. Wild Life is very much still in hot development and they even (sorta) restarted from scratch which, in my opinion, is a huge indicator of future quality.

In summary: don't compare an Unreal Engine 5 game you're playing in early early access to a finished product running on an outdated engine.

Further documentation: Below is the
Unreal Engine 5 recommended requirements according to Epic Games
  • Operating system: Windows 10/11 64-bit
  • Processor: Six-Core /@ 3.4GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Internal storage: 256 GB SSD
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

rf96

I rape lolis with my tentacles
Uploader
Donor
Aug 11, 2017
dunno, i haven't tried the last one

Acornus

Dec 5, 2017
The problem is none of the "indie" devs actually properly expose or scale the UE5 engine and leave a bunch of graphical settings active or at higher settings than even the high end modded gamed do today.

For example, the resolution scaling most of the time is set wrong, the 100% scaling is actually 200% (meaning your 720 floating borderless window you multi-task with is actually rendering internally at 1440). You need to set it to 50%, you can test this with AA in the highest setting and you'll notice what I mean in some games.

Foliage scaling by default is usually 2x than the default rendering distance of UE4, and unless set by the developer properly, they don't have LOD's, or their LOD's are set wrong.

Shadows tie together with Ambient and any other kind of Volumetric effects, and this kills most GPU's. Most budget cards cannot run decent looking Volumetric Lighting, so it's better to disable it, but since you can't disable them, especially with the Shadows only going to low, you stuck with some muddy looking lighting, even if you don't see the Volumetric effects properly, they're still being technically rendered.

Also, most of the time reducing you're shadow settings doesn't actually reduce the shadow quality properly, it's just disable stuff like Self-Shadowing and the shadow distance also doesn't get changed properly at further distances.

This also ties into the Global Illumination stuff, some dev's outright forget not to have everything be dynamic lights, with high quality shadow/light casting, especially with Lumen, so you literally have "always active, but not rendering" effects in a scene, with a "disabled" Lumen, but it's actually active if you pay really close attention, and this eats away at performance like crazy.

4K textures which still render in a muddy state, because a scene is trying to constantly load every single textures without accounting how far away the player is from certain things.

Sometimes the developers with literally make the "grass textures" on the ground into an "effect" (if you disable effects completely, the ground will become like a chessboard) and have the performance cost akin or a real-time fur shader. Some UE4 engine games even did this mistake.

Adds all of this with a game that might be trying to render an entire island, with models that aren't "baked" in the scene (you can't simply put a statue in a scene and call it a day, you have to clarify it's a static statue and won't blow up like Battlefield 2042 with all kinds of high end, shaded dynamic giblets all over the place) and you have a recipe for disaster.

Fun Fact: All these options already exist in UE5 as an .ini file in your Users Directory folder to tailor your options, and you can do it yourself manually if you need (like disabling Chroma or Film Grain in many horror games), but the absolute incompetence of some people to not expose any of these options for no other reason than "we didn't read the UE5 Options Manual and how to present it to the end User" is really high.

If a solo Russian Horror Game Developer is able to expose in the option Menu "Shadow Self-Interesting" as an On/Off Button, there no reason people making bank can't.

Remussx

Jun 18, 2019
I haven't played this one for a while. Did they add more content on story mode, or it was focused on sandbox?

3.80 star(s) 176 Votes