Moonhed

Aug 3, 2018
not to mention something is....off..with her hands and forearms
Which was pointed out a few months ago when the new artist’s Astoria work was first posted. I’d assumed it was a WIP but apparently not. Its... ok, I suppose, but I wasn’t keen on her original underage look anyway, so it’s better than it was.

Reactions: Uncle_oddE

Muffeh

Jun 25, 2017
Personally I think if your going to age up Astoria you may as well just use her older sister Daphne. Makes little sense to keep the character name.

Reactions: Sole

jish55

Nov 23, 2017
I gotta say, I'm loving the fact this game is still getting updates (well after the original was finished). If I can say something though, I feel that Cho needs a reskin, because her model just doesn't fit well with the others, which I think has to do with the face looking different from the rest of the art styles.

sieggi858

Nov 5, 2018
I gotta say, I'm loving the fact this game is still getting updates (well after the original was finished). If I can say something though, I feel that Cho needs a reskin, because her model just doesn't fit well with the others, which I think has to do with the face looking different from the rest of the art styles.
agreed. this applies to more than just her though. I understand that you might not be able to completely replicate Akaburs style, but this game is pretty aesthetically incoherent with their art styles sometimes. Astoria as a whole just doesn't look right, and also what you said about cho. Go look at that preview of the "handjob" from "hermione", the art style is jarringly different and nothing like the rest of the game.

Tonk actually fits perfectly so whomever created her needs to do more of the character-design. I love this mod and have played even the original witch trainer since day 1 and I want this mod to do well.

Reactions: Sole

swmas

Sep 4, 2017
agreed. this applies to more than just her though. I understand that you might not be able to completely replicate Akaburs style, but this game is pretty aesthetically incoherent with their art styles sometimes. Astoria as a whole just doesn't look right, and also what you said about cho. Go look at that preview of the "handjob" from "hermione", the art style is jarringly different and nothing like the rest of the game.

Tonk actually fits perfectly so whomever created her needs to do more of the character-design. I love this mod and have played even the original witch trainer since day 1 and I want this mod to do well.
Tonks looks like Callie from Ugly Americans but not hot.

Ymhir

Oct 8, 2018
hello everyone, i´ve been asking this question for a while, how do i get the fuck scene. I've completed like 20 times the book and nothing.

Johnny28

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2018

It's not as easy as you may think to replicate another artists style. It's a mod by the end of the day and we're working with the artists to get closer but if we constantly keep reworking things to reach a goal which we might not meet then the mod will never progress because art hold us back from making more content. It's the main reason why sex scenes and such is taking more time. And yes, it's aestethically incoherent because many different artist has previously added characters and it was a hobby project by many contributors for a long time. Writing has also been inconsistent for a long time but we're working to bring it together as well.

If you look at other projects that start off with an artist and for whatever reason the artist can't work on it anymore usually one of two things happen. One example is the game A Third Crisis where they changed the style and replaced all the character art. And then there's other games that gets abandoned. For this mod neither of those options is really viable because there's already a lot of content in the game and even if we had the funds to replace the art to have the style match across the board I'm not sure if people would be happy with that either. The best we can do is stick with an artist and work to find a good middleground. I feel like if there was an artist that had interest in the project that is happy with and can perfectly match the artstyle then we'd be aware of it after the 5 years or so of the mods development.

Astoria has also received a few revisions since the initial reveal. Her pupils are now smaller and more in style of the rest of the characters. Her nose has also been changed, Her hairline has been moved down and tweaked. Astoria was the first thing the new artist drew for us and for someone that jumps in fresh with this style and the fact that we even require layers to be made completely different than most artists are used for I think we're going in a good direction. Just like other characters they get tweaked every once in a while. Cho has had changes made to her 2-4 times.

Last edited:

Darwin7

Mar 5, 2018
sieggi858:
An addition from an outsider:

Copying styles are a huge hassle...
There is a reason why mangaka-groups like CLAMP split up the work into smaller parts. One for the BG, one for males, one for females and so on. When there are different artists for the same subject they normally have tons of reference sheets.
Normally there is a limited number of artists doing the pre-work while the rest of the team does the finishing touch - with references. They even train & study the style they use and focus fulltime on that specific project.

What's more, Witch Trainers has a special style which is rather distinguishable, while other projects have a rather generic style. If it was anime style X it would be a lot easier...

Imitating a style from nothing is an art in itself.

Johnny28

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2018
sieggi858:
An addition from an outsider:

Copying styles are a huge hassle...
There is a reason why mangaka-groups like CLAMP split up the work into smaller parts. One for the BG, one for males, one for females and so on. When there are different artists for the same subject they normally have tons of reference sheets.
Normally there is a limited number of artists doing the pre-work while the rest of the team does the finishing touch - with references. They even train & study the style they use and focus fulltime on that specific project.

What's more, Witch Trainers has a special style which is rather distinguishable, while other projects have a rather generic style. If it was anime style X it would be a lot easier...

Imitating a style from nothing is an art in itself.
Yeah, believe me when I say that I've asked a fair amount of artists that draw in a similar"ish" style but not everyone is going to be interested for various reasons. For now what we can do is find a talented artist that is willing to work with us and adapt their style bit by bit. Our budget has been relatively small until now so I'm sure things will improve and go smoother in the future but we're yet again back on the whole adapting style thing except this time we will hopefully be able to keep an artist around for long enough to see the final product improve.

All in all the players will have to take the mod for what it is right now and the improvements that we make over time if they want to support us financially for commissions. We always have things that we want to improve and add when the oporiunity and monetary support is available for it. There's always talk in the Discord public and staff channel about new characters and even locations that would be cool to add but in the end we need to prioritize things and not get too ahead of ourselves on something overambitious. Our highest priority is to try and make the characters different both personallity and motives. We've made a personallity sheet that we work from internally which is where we also put down ideas for new characters and where they'd fit in. The biggest thing people has been asking for is bringing character storylines and scenes together and involve multiple girls so that has been a focus for the upcoming update.

Hollie

Oct 12, 2018
It's not as easy as you may think to replicate another artists style. It's a mod by the end of the day and we're working with the artists to get closer but if we constantly keep reworking things to reach a goal which we might not meet then the mod will never progress because art hold us back from making more content. It's the main reason why sex scenes and such is taking more time. And yes, it's aestethically incoherent because many different artist has previously added characters and it was a hobby project by many contributors for a long time. Writing has also been inconsistent for a long time but we're working to bring it together as well.

If you look at other projects that start off with an artist and for whatever reason the artist can't work on it anymore usually one of two things happen. One example is the game A Third Crisis where they changed the style and replaced all the character art. And then there's other games that gets abandoned. For this mod neither of those options is really viable because there's already a lot of content in the game and even if we had the funds to replace the art to have the style match across the board I'm not sure if people would be happy with that either. The best we can do is stick with an artist and work to find a good middleground. I feel like if there was an artist that had interest in the project that is happy with and can perfectly match the artstyle then we'd be aware of it after the 5 years or so of the mods development.

Astoria has also received a few revisions since the initial reveal. Her pupils are now smaller and more in style of the rest of the characters. Her nose has also been changed, Her hairline has been moved down and tweaked. Astoria was the first thing the new artist drew for us and for someone that jumps in fresh with this style and the fact that we even require layers to be made completely different than most artists are used for I think we're going in a good direction. Just like other characters they get tweaked every once in a while. Cho has had changes made to her 2-4 times.
Guys keep doing what you do, bless y’all for your work

4.10 star(s) 75 Votes