Ren'Py Wolf Complex [v0.12.0] [RecentlyLuckyMan]

3.10 star(s) 7 Votes

RecentlyLuckyMan

Game Developer
Apr 27, 2022
Ey! What it do meng! Icha boi!

Here are my current thoughts on your game. If my words sounded harsh, then I apologize in advance. That being said, my aim is to provide you with details that you can use to further improve your game.

Naturally, since I'm no pro, you can take my words with a grain of salt.

That being said, let's go!!!

[Menus and technicalities]

+Main Menu has music so that's a plus
+Main Menu does not use the base design! Another plus

-I suggest moving into .jpeg image format to save a ton of space. (You're currently using .PNG). Optimizing your game this early will save you a lot of trouble in the future.

-Choice Bombing: Lots of choices that I currently don't need to know are suddenly presented to me. To be honest I was confused at first about what should I do once I reached the 'house' portion of the game. I suggest reducing the buttons you needed to click to a single one for now and then gradually revealing the other options as the needs arise. (IE. I want to piss suddenly because the world invoked me to = You can now go to the bathroom. If stress becomes too high = The option to play guitar and fap has been unlocked.)

-As for the choice bombing in school, there are currently three events there: Study, lunch, and get wrecked in the gym. There isn't really much to do here and in the other rooms so I suggest going with the cafeteria, classroom, and gym for now as options. (The choice to go to other parts of the school will gradually unlock.

***I believe this is a case of planning and organization. The author is unsure know which part of the game to focus on: Should I go do the features or should I go with the story? This is very noticeable since a lot of the features created don't really influence the story at all. (IE. Strenght, Intellegience and Charm.)

To be honest, I haven't created a game like this yet so I can't give any accurate solution/tips for it. If anything, I suggest finishing the story of chapter one and then inserting the 'sandbox' elements later that would influence how the
chapter would end. (IE. If he goes to this place with more than 5 charm, give ending A, else give ending B.)

[Music]
+Happy to see it has music!
+Happy to see it also has sound effects!

[Effects]
+Glad to see that yer using Renpy's cropping effects!

[Plot]

For plotting, I usually cut a whole chapter into scenes and then further cut scenes into three parts:

1. Character wants X
2. But X happens
3. Therefore Character does X

This probably looks a bit stiff for story telling but it certainly is a comfortable method for ME when trying to convey something in a story. (you don't want to create scenes that don't have any purpose after all.)

Aside from that, I also cut the WHOLE story into main plots and sub-plots. This way I can keep track of the important details that might affect the character and the story.

Main:

SCENE ONE:

1. MC wants to know the issue experienced by Maggie. (His sister I think, or maybe Roomate. Or worse, LANDLADY)
2. But he can't really relate to it and he always makes the situation worse.
3. Therefore he talks to her and got forgiven partially.

*** Okay Cool Straight to the point, he wants to help this sister and he's having an issue doing it. Luckily he managed to do it in the end but only got forgiven partially. Easy to follow so far! I suppose the 2nd scene will be about him trying to find a way to make her nekomimi body acceptable right?

SCENE TWO:

I didn't really reach this stage but based on the screenshot, I think they slept on the same bed together or something? I suppose they managed to reach a point of agreement.

*** This is probably one of the harps I have about Sandbox games. I have to grind a stat to trigger an event without even knowing that there's an event. To be honest, I don't really know how to avoid this part of Sandbox games if I were to create one myself.

Maybe insert an event that would make me interested in increasing X stat, which would then trigger the character event stat? (IE. Teacher: You need to make sure you have X intelligence or you'll get morbed in the next Monday > MC grinds Int. stat and then triggers the character event with Y character and also passes the test. )

=========================

Sub-plot:
1. Character has no money so he needs a job
2. Character found a job at Koi Cafe but found the owner to also have ears.
3. Character got interested in the ears and asked about it.

*** Cool, seems like this will be used to later explained that the ears are supernatural or something.

***All in all, the plot is severely lacking due to the organization issue I've mentioned above. Since I haven't developed a 'sandbox' type of game yet, I can't really give any tips aside from finishing the story of chapter one and then applying the Sandbox later.

I can't give much input about the plot since it doesn't seem to be finished yet. Usually, I'd look for a point of conflict in the chapter but I don't think the MC quarreling with Maggie is enough to be considered a 'conflict' since she forgave him without the MC 'losing' or 'challenging' anything.

Basically, if this is chapter one, it isn't finished or fully fleshed out yet. (Unless I missed something that was said in the bed scene, I didn't really reach this part cuz I already gave up after reaching the School scene)

[Characters]

Margaret: Happy to see that she bullies and quarrels with the MC, giving them a friendly relationship. Most of the characters I see usually are suddenly attracted or have a secret crush on the MC without a proper explanation and events as to why they are in love with him.

Ezio from Assasins creed: MC is cool, seems like he's an asshole but with a heart of gold. He also doesn't have money but hey! That's fine, we can relate!

***Happy to see that the author is strong on the characterization department, I believe he should focus on creating the story, the changes, and events that would change the character as they traverse Chapter one (for now), and then apply the sandbox features later.

He definitely has writing skills and knows how to give quirks and flair to the characters, hopefully, he focuses on this part for now.

All in all, I hope this helped! Looking forward to what you'll do!
Thank you for this awesome revew, this is so useful!

As you say, i have confusion about what pat follow in the game for now, i dont now if i need to make chapter one first or do the "sandbox mechanics" part first, because this is the most complicated part of all.

Im gonna to take your tips, i'm completing the chapter one right now, creating the principal conflict to make the history flow.

That´s because this is 0.0.5 version, not 0.5.0, this is so green, its the first time ever i create a game and i invoked with a really big game XD, take it as a practice versions until i release 0.1.0, that version will be the "Game" version, with all chapter one completed and mechanics fully implemented.

from there on, i only need to add story parts and content, because the base game will be fully completed.

I really thank you for taking time to tell me all of this, i really appreciate it, and i gonna apply all of this for future updates!

Last edited:

magfan2255

May 28, 2020
i have planned to put a ultrawholsome ending. :)
thats really great, ill be eagerly waiting for that.
sorry, for that behaviour. i might have had a fytt of some sort when i wrote that lol, but anyways its really great to be given some notice to a post like that and i really do want to see an ending like that.
good luck for this project, ill be watching its progress.

SpirosRUS

Jan 8, 2019
Where is v0.0.6? links to the previous version... it's strange...
P.s. Oops, I'm sorry ... everything is fine with the version, but it won't hurt to change the name of the archive

Last edited:

BTLD

Engaged Member
Sep 18, 2017
is this one of those VNs where the MC is portrayed as a complete tool and is the butt of all jokes?

RecentlyLuckyMan

Game Developer
Apr 27, 2022
Where is v0.0.6? links to the previous version... it's strange...
P.s. Oops, I'm sorry ... everything is fine with the version, but it won't hurt to change the name of the archive
sorry i noticed the name of the archive is wrong before i uploaded it XD

aasguard

Jul 4, 2019
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/menus.rpy", line 6572, in script
call screen pasilloR
ScriptError: could not find label 'second_floor'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 662, in main
run(restart)
File "renpy/main.py", line 148, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "renpy/execution.py", line 922, in run_context
context.run()
call screen pasilloR
File "renpy/script.py", line 918, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-10-10.0.22000
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Wolf Complex v0.0.6
Sat Jul 16 21:28:37 2022

RecentlyLuckyMan

Game Developer
Apr 27, 2022
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
call screen pasilloR

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "renpy/main.py", line 662, in main
run(restart)
File "renpy/main.py", line 148, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "renpy/execution.py", line 922, in run_context
context.run()
call screen pasilloR
File "renpy/script.py", line 918, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-10-10.0.22000
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Wolf Complex v0.0.6
Sat Jul 16 21:28:37 2022
thanks the bug is noted.

Master6999

Feb 1, 2021
My hope is that this game implements a cheat code feature to have 0 stress and max energy. Having to juggle those and earn money and gain trust while not lowering the love stat is a little tedious right off the bat. At least lower the amount of stress recieved or energy that gets drained throughout the day.

Reactions: aasguard

RecentlyLuckyMan

Game Developer
Apr 27, 2022
My hope is that this game implements a cheat code feature to have 0 stress and max energy. Having to juggle those and earn money and gain trust while not lowering the love stat is a little tedious right off the bat. At least lower the amount of stress recieved or energy that gets drained throughout the day.
I need to balance the stat system acording the events, but actually doesnt exit an important reason to grind stats, so i have a long work to do.

Reactions: jadih96207

RecentlyLuckyMan

Game Developer
Apr 27, 2022
most welcome will just skip school so i can test the rest of the story

also when its dinner time the screen goes black and nothing shows apart from the icons
Investigatin the bug i see that i doen'st exist, everything work fine for me and i dont know why is this happening for you. it have no sense.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: jadih96207

aasguard

Jul 4, 2019
Investigatin the bug i see that i doen'st exist, everything work fine for me and i dont know why is this happening for you. it have no sense.
i put it through renpy and it works for me apart from the 2nd floor of the school but i will wait for the update i am in no hurry mate so dont bust your self over it

Reactions: RecentlyLuckyMan
3.10 star(s) 7 Votes