Soulpuppet

Sep 10, 2020
I was just thinking about this game. Was thinking the rewrite would of been done by now. Sadly I was wrong. Guess I'll come back in another year if it's done by then. :HideThePain:

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
[PROGRESS REPORT] An Interesting Spread of Data

Hey all!

You may recall that I did a poll recently. Well, I did 3. One on SubscribeStar, one on Patreon, and one in the Discord just to see how things would shake up. And wouldn't you know it, the data I got had some interesting nuance to it. Let's start with SubscribeStar.

1718335422725.png

So OF the 15 or so that voted, this was the spread. And this is really interesting because it's unique out of the three data sets. Here's Patreon.

1718335431522.png

As you can see, the spread is VERY different. But by and large, paying members or members that have already played are very much leaning towards more Season 2 content as opposed to finally getting the... I keep saying Rewrite but it's essentially a Revision or a Repolish... done. Finally, here's Discord.

1718335445804.png

Again, I find myself quite surprised, as it seems the Discord poll was VERY polarizing; either deliver as much Season 2 content as possible or drop everything and get the revision done with.

Further, it's come to my attention that a lot of games have undergone rewrites for the very same reason as I initially had for mine, which was complaints. Not only that, but some games changed so much during the revision process that the original audience no longer recognized or liked the projects anymore, and the ones who cried for the changes weren't interested either. I'm looking to avoid that, and really keep the spirit of what made WCA so enjoyable to the original audience as I go through and polish up the first few chapters. So I decided that I wasn't really going to be doing much "rewriting" as I was going to be revising key moments. I'm leaning much more toward the playerbase that liked the original way the script was written, with a few added quality of life changes, such as being able to make a choice with Eshtel rather than being forced to give her away to Chiara. I do want to smooth out a LITTLE bit of the man-hating atmosphere in the beginning, but I also believe the oppressive circumstances make for great obstacles for Aurum to overcome and that losing that underdog feeling will lose the meaning of the story for most people. Otherwise, most of the script is gonna stay as-is, with any sexual content like lesbian scenes giving you a choice to view or skip them as some of the scenes are baked into the story and hard to remove. One of the biggest problems was forcing people to watch content they didn't wanna watch, and that's the main focus for the quality of life changes.

Anyways, thanks for reading. Lot going on right now so progress is slow (I STILL NEED TO HIRE A POSER; APPLY PLEASE!). But I SHOULD have Episode 3 out to top tier supporters before the end of the month, and also SHOULD have a special surprise for the game's 3 year anniversary, which is this month! Thank you all for the continued support!

-Vic

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
[PROGRESS REPORT] An Interesting Spread of Data

Hey all!

You may recall that I did a poll recently. Well, I did 3. One on SubscribeStar, one on Patreon, and one in the Discord just to see how things would shake up. And wouldn't you know it, the data I got had some interesting nuance to it. Let's start with SubscribeStar.

View attachment 3734592

So OF the 15 or so that voted, this was the spread. And this is really interesting because it's unique out of the three data sets. Here's Patreon.

View attachment 3734593

As you can see, the spread is VERY different. But by and large, paying members or members that have already played are very much leaning towards more Season 2 content as opposed to finally getting the... I keep saying Rewrite but it's essentially a Revision or a Repolish... done. Finally, here's Discord.

View attachment 3734594

Again, I find myself quite surprised, as it seems the Discord poll was VERY polarizing; either deliver as much Season 2 content as possible or drop everything and get the revision done with.

Further, it's come to my attention that a lot of games have undergone rewrites for the very same reason as I initially had for mine, which was complaints. Not only that, but some games changed so much during the revision process that the original audience no longer recognized or liked the projects anymore, and the ones who cried for the changes weren't interested either. I'm looking to avoid that, and really keep the spirit of what made WCA so enjoyable to the original audience as I go through and polish up the first few chapters. So I decided that I wasn't really going to be doing much "rewriting" as I was going to be revising key moments. I'm leaning much more toward the playerbase that liked the original way the script was written, with a few added quality of life changes, such as being able to make a choice with Eshtel rather than being forced to give her away to Chiara. I do want to smooth out a LITTLE bit of the man-hating atmosphere in the beginning, but I also believe the oppressive circumstances make for great obstacles for Aurum to overcome and that losing that underdog feeling will lose the meaning of the story for most people. Otherwise, most of the script is gonna stay as-is, with any sexual content like lesbian scenes giving you a choice to view or skip them as some of the scenes are baked into the story and hard to remove. One of the biggest problems was forcing people to watch content they didn't wanna watch, and that's the main focus for the quality of life changes.

Anyways, thanks for reading. Lot going on right now so progress is slow (I STILL NEED TO HIRE A POSER; APPLY PLEASE!). But I SHOULD have Episode 3 out to top tier supporters before the end of the month, and also SHOULD have a special surprise for the game's 3 year anniversary, which is this month! Thank you all for the continued support!

-Vic
Sounds like you're in a better frame of mind towards what you want to do. Glad to hear it.

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Sounds like you're in a better frame of mind towards what you want to do. Glad to hear it.
I have a much better idea. My initial knee-jerk reaction upon hearing what felt like constant complaints about the intro to the game was to rewrite the Prologue and first couple of chapters from scratch. But my knee-jerk reactions are never good, and I know this, so I decided to spend a few months with my ear to the ground sussing out what it is the community at large really wants.

And the general consensus is, nobody wants me to alter the story. Like at all. So what I've decided to do is more like a repolish than a true rewrite. Here's essentially what I'm aiming to do:

• Making it a CHOICE whether or not to wingman for Chiara, date Eshtel yourself, or join them in a poly arrangement
  • Pulling Cecilia's mannequin scene and putting it in her side story file so you have to opt-into her sexual content
  • Adding an option to express disinterest in River so that you have to opt-into her sexual content
  • Smoothing out the negativity and man-hating atmosphere in the Prologue and Chapter 1. Yes, I did a tiny bit of rewriting here so it's not quite so overbearing for brand new players.
  • Breaking up that horrid martial arts training scene into parts of the daily routine so it's more digestible
  • Adding an option to stay in the forest or leave early, which will be the way to unlock and opt-into the Harpy girl's content
  • Combining Season 1 and Season 2 into one single game
  • Making all sex scenes that occur in the main story skippable/opt-out friendly for the people who hate lesbian scenes and the like
  • Providing an explanation of either mixed heritage or having grown up in multiple locations (this one is more likely) to explain why Aoibheann has such a unique way of speaking that belongs neither to the Irish nor the Scottish (and so the Irish people will stop yelling at me). So many people love her and the way she talks but I can't call it an Irish accent or god help me the Catholics and the Protestants BOTH will set aside their differences to flay me alive.
There are some technical things I gotta work out as far as keeping the game under 2GB for Android devices, and figuring out how mobile players are gonna get their DLC characters, and to that end I'm wondering if someone might be able to just build me a launcher that will check for the correct version, download updates, and allow purchase of DLC characters through the app. I know it can be done because all these Google Play games do it with a 500mb apk and an 8GB download after that's installed. I just don't know how to do it, much less in a way that will cooperate with and launch a Ren'py game. Once I figure that out, it'll be SMOOTH sailing to combine this all into one program.

tmu500

Apr 14, 2024
I have a much better idea. My initial knee-jerk reaction upon hearing what felt like constant complaints about the intro to the game was to rewrite the Prologue and first couple of chapters from scratch. But my knee-jerk reactions are never good, and I know this, so I decided to spend a few months with my ear to the ground sussing out what it is the community at large really wants.

And the general consensus is, nobody wants me to alter the story. Like at all. So what I've decided to do is more like a repolish than a true rewrite. Here's essentially what I'm aiming to do:

• Making it a CHOICE whether or not to wingman for Chiara, date Eshtel yourself, or join them in a poly arrangement
  • Pulling Cecilia's mannequin scene and putting it in her side story file so you have to opt-into her sexual content
  • Adding an option to express disinterest in River so that you have to opt-into her sexual content
  • Smoothing out the negativity and man-hating atmosphere in the Prologue and Chapter 1. Yes, I did a tiny bit of rewriting here so it's not quite so overbearing for brand new players.
  • Breaking up that horrid martial arts training scene into parts of the daily routine so it's more digestible
  • Adding an option to stay in the forest or leave early, which will be the way to unlock and opt-into the Harpy girl's content
  • Making all sex scenes that occur in the main story skippable/opt-out friendly for the people who hate lesbian scenes and the like
  • Providing an explanation of either mixed heritage or having grown up in multiple locations (this one is more likely) to explain why Aoibheann has such a unique way of speaking that belongs neither to the Irish nor the Scottish (and so the Irish people will stop yelling at me). So many people love her and the way she talks but I can't call it an Irish accent or god help me the Catholics and the Protestants BOTH will set aside their differences to flay me alive.
There are some technical things I gotta work out as far as keeping the game under 2GB for Android devices, and figuring out how mobile players are gonna get their DLC characters, and to that end I'm wondering if someone might be able to just build me a launcher that will check for the correct version, download updates, and allow purchase of DLC characters through the app. I know it can be done because all these Google Play games do it with a 500mb apk and an 8GB download after that's installed. I just don't know how to do it, much less in a way that will cooperate with and launch a Ren'py game. Once I figure that out, it'll be SMOOTH sailing to combine this all into one program.
Good message, just do you have a time frame for the game release?

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Good message, just do you have a time frame for the game release?
Not quite. The story stuff and choices are a simple matter of rearranging stuff that's already there and patching the holes they leave behind. If it was just that, I could have it done in 2 weeks. The technical stuff, on the other hand... the combining it into one game and/or having a launcher built... that's the wildcard stuff that I have no idea how to do myself and how long it'd take someone else to do. Or how much it would cost. So I still kind of have to hammer that out before I can really move forward with the release. Until then, I'll be working on Season 2 Episodes 3 and 4 while I do some research and see if I can find someone who knows how to do what I need done.

I suppose another solution might be to postpone the combining of the two games into one, and thus rid myself of the technical thorn in my side. That would get the "rewrite" portion out of the way and done, and just leave Season 1 at Version 1.0, with the future task of combining the games together. It would also contain all of Season 2's variables so the saves would transfer over with everyone's decisions.

Fuck, that might be it. The tech stuff can wait, I think. Thoughts?

Reactions: Elhemeer and tmu500

Digteren

Nov 1, 2020
Not quite. The story stuff and choices are a simple matter of rearranging stuff that's already there and patching the holes they leave behind. If it was just that, I could have it done in 2 weeks. The technical stuff, on the other hand... the combining it into one game and/or having a launcher built... that's the wildcard stuff that I have no idea how to do myself and how long it'd take someone else to do. Or how much it would cost. So I still kind of have to hammer that out before I can really move forward with the release. Until then, I'll be working on Season 2 Episodes 3 and 4 while I do some research and see if I can find someone who knows how to do what I need done.

I suppose another solution might be to postpone the combining of the two games into one, and thus rid myself of the technical thorn in my side. That would get the "rewrite" portion out of the way and done, and just leave Season 1 at Version 1.0, with the future task of combining the games together. It would also contain all of Season 2's variables so the saves would transfer over with everyone's decisions.

Fuck, that might be it. The tech stuff can wait, I think. Thoughts?
Sounds fine to me I think. Having two separate executables isn't that much of a hassle

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
*This message has been brought to you by "FARL" (Fappers Against Reaction Limits)*
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
NEVER MIND APPARENTLY ALL I GOTTA DO IS UPDATE REN'PY TO 7.7
Isn't Ren'py up to 8.x or something?

Reactions: Derbyshir3

Derbyshir3

Aug 9, 2019
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I really like this plan. I didn't have much of a problem with the game as is, but this does take some of the weaker points and strengthens them somewhat, such as the long martial arts sequence. It conveyed a lot of information, but the flow of it wasn't the best. I also really like when you are given the option for whether to romance a girl, even when I will romance them 95% of the time. While I appreciate combining the seasons into one game, I don't find that to be a huge issue, as long as saves transfer somewhat smoothly. On the other hand, if you found a simple way to combine them, all the better. And if you can get the Irish nitpickers off your back with an added line of text or two, all the better! Keep up the good work!

LordWanze

Jan 27, 2022

Hm... That is actually really well thought out.

Making a choice between Chiara+Eshtel/Throuple makes just the most sense. I like Eshtel quite a lot, but given the choice I will most likely go for the Throuple anyway.

I had my issues with the stalker, so anything you can do to make as much of her optional as possible, the better.

River is one of my favorites, but I can see where criticism comes from and it is the smartest move.

The hate just made me dislike certain characters, which I'm not sure was a goal of it, so tuning it down could be beneficial. There is an argument in E1 that it is related to trouble stemming mostly from men, but that is just disgusting and makes the related characters even less likeable in my books.

I never cared for these interlopes, to be honest putting this in the recurring starts of the days just makes me more skip-click.

Does that mean we'll get the goblin scene regardless if we encountered the harpy? I skipped through that scene because I didn't want to miss my favorite girls and an actually quite wonderfull scene.

I solely play on Android devices, so if it is possible to easily transfer save games from one episode to the next (which many games can't deliver at all) it would be beneficial to have smaller episodic versions like it is right now.

That is a strict upgrade.

I really like Aoibheann and found her accent quite enjoyable. It is interesting how fierce Irish folk seems to defend their language, would wish my own country would care for my language that much.

A question I couldn't find answered in the recent post: do you consider getting rid of MC's gloves, at least in sex scenes?

slashimus

Mar 2, 2019
So is there a way for me to continue my saved game from season 1 into season 2? Whenever I load it it gives me an error and then renpy just bugs out and crashes. :cry:

4.50 star(s) 32 Votes