VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
I Should Not Be Alive
By now you must be thinking, "No way. This is perhaps the unluckiest dev I've ever followed."

I wish I was joking. I'm not.

Tuesday, while on my way to visit a friend in Vancouver, WA, my left rear tire blew and sent me spinning across 4 lanes of traffic at 70mph. I hit the ditch on the right side of the freeway facing backwards and rolled 4 times before finally coming to a stop. Somehow, the rolls were so perfectly diagonal that all of my glass was intact and none of the airbags deployed. Neither of the front doors would open; I had to lay the passenger seat down and crawl out of the back passenger side door. There, I met the trucker who had almost ended my life. Were it not for his quick reflexes, they'd have been picking bits of me out of the grille of his semi. Wayne, he introduced himself.

I should not be alive, much less unscathed as I am.

Photos are below. As you can expect, this may impact the release of the next build of WCA as my car is totaled and I need to spend my money and resources on finding another one. I understand if you're upset; it's been a couple of months since the last update, and I haven't been able to do much work because, simply put, shit keeps happening to me. Trust me, I wish it would stop as much as you do. For those of you who stay subbed to the Patreon, I'm truly grateful for your patience. For those who are ending their support... thank you for what you did give. I hope I get another chance to impress you and earn your support back in the future.

- Vic

1645194939170.png

1645194939291.png
1645194939422.png

Scotsman1989

Nov 10, 2018
I Should Not Be Alive
By now you must be thinking, "No way. This is perhaps the unluckiest dev I've ever followed."

Tuesday, while on my way to visit a friend in Vancouver, WA, my left rear tire blew and sent me spinning across 4 lanes of traffic at 70mph. I hit the ditch on the right side of the freeway facing backwards and rolled 4 times before finally coming to a stop. Somehow, the rolls were so perfectly diagonal that all of my glass was intact and none of the airbags deployed. Neither of the front doors would open; I had to lay the passenger seat down and crawl out of the back passenger side door. There, I met the trucker who had almost ended my life. Were it not for his quick reflexes, they'd have been picking bits of me out of the grille of his semi. Wayne, he introduced himself.

Photos are below. As you can expect, this may impact the release of the next build of WCA as my car is totaled and I need to spend my money and resources on finding another one. I understand if you're upset; it's been a couple of months since the last update, and I haven't been able to do much work because, simply put, shit keeps happening to me. Trust me, I wish it would stop as much as you do. For those of you who stay subbed to the Patreon, I'm truly grateful for your patience. For those who are ending their support... thank you for what you did give. I hope I get another chance to impress you and earn your support back in the future.

- Vic

View attachment 1660747

View attachment 1660746
View attachment 1660745

What matters is that your ok, take all the time you need, we're happy to wait for you mate.

Last edited:

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
I Should Not Be Alive

- Vic

View attachment 1660747

View attachment 1660746
View attachment 1660745

I'd go buy a lottery ticket right now if I were you.....you are one lucky S.O.B.!

Life comes first. We'll wait.

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Back in the Saddle

1646921504943.png

I have to say, I can't believe how patient this community is. Every day, I look at my Patreon page for this game that hasn't been updated since November, expecting to see the support dwindle in to nothing. And sure, I do lose Patrons, on about a weekly basis. But new people sign up in their stead, and where I expected support for this game to disappear, it's still going strong. I was certain this setback of mine was going to kill the game. But you all seem to have faith. Maybe it's time I started having faith, too. Thank you.

I'm not here to make any grand promises. But now I really understand how dedicated this community is to this game. There's a story to be told here with these characters that you've all fallen in love with, and I'm the only one who can tell it for you. It's what I signed up for when I created this project. I was blown away by the amount of love this world and these characters have received, and I get messages almost daily asking when there will be an update. I realize I've been selling myself short. I've been out of it for a long time, and I haven't been confident about jumping back in. Writer's Block, mental blocks, heck even near-death experiences, not to mention pouring out everything I have supporting friends who are going through their own crises... to say I've been a bit shaken and drained is an understatement.

But all things must end. I've been working hard to pull myself out of this funk I've been in, and I honestly miss working on this game the way I used to. I was so excited and full of energy every time I sat down, and I'm trying to find a way to recapture that. That being said, Chapter 6 has begun, and after the scene I'm working on, I'm going back to my old method of Shoot First, Dialogue Later. It helps so much to have the scene shots to look at while I'm writing, and depriving myself of that was a mistake. I was trying out another dev's process, someone who gets MASSIVE amounts of work done in a day. I wanted to be able to do that.

But World's Crossing is unique. The way I make it is unique. Most games have a TON of repeated shots during dialogue scenes. Even some of my favorites like My New Family absolutely abuse repeated shots during dialogue. World's Crossing doesn't do that. I might repeat a shot here and there, but for the most part, but my dialogue scenes are almost like watching a movie, where the shot changes every three to four lines and replaces with fresh shots. Same with the intimate scenes. They're not predictable, 1 position, 3-speed-then-climax rinse-and-repeats. Each new shot is a carefully planned angle that's meant to deliver more to the experience and attempts to keep things fresh and real.

This obsession with player experience, immersion, and quality is what I believe sets World's Crossing Academy apart from your typical H-game, up to and including even some of the most beloved titles out there. I will never be the best H-game dev out there. But I WILL give my all and do everything I can to improve my skills and deliver you an experience that grabs at your heart, whether you want it to or not.

I'm back in the saddle.

Chapter 6 continues.

Let's make this a story worth talking about for years.

-Vic

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Back in the Saddle

View attachment 1696738

I have to say, I can't believe how patient this community is. Every day, I look at my Patreon page for this game that hasn't been updated since November, expecting to see the support dwindle in to nothing. And sure, I do lose Patrons, on about a weekly basis. But new people sign up in their stead, and where I expected support for this game to disappear, it's still going strong. I was certain this setback of mine was going to kill the game. But you all seem to have faith. Maybe it's time I started having faith, too. Thank you.

I'm not here to make any grand promises. But now I really understand how dedicated this community is to this game. There's a story to be told here with these characters that you've all fallen in love with, and I'm the only one who can tell it for you. It's what I signed up for when I created this project. I was blown away by the amount of love this world and these characters have received, and I get messages almost daily asking when there will be an update. I realize I've been selling myself short. I've been out of it for a long time, and I haven't been confident about jumping back in. Writer's Block, mental blocks, heck even near-death experiences, not to mention pouring out everything I have supporting friends who are going through their own crises... to say I've been a bit shaken and drained is an understatement.

But all things must end. I've been working hard to pull myself out of this funk I've been in, and I honestly miss working on this game the way I used to. I was so excited and full of energy every time I sat down, and I'm trying to find a way to recapture that. That being said, Chapter 6 has begun, and after the scene I'm working on, I'm going back to my old method of Shoot First, Dialogue Later. It helps so much to have the scene shots to look at while I'm writing, and depriving myself of that was a mistake. I was trying out another dev's process, someone who gets MASSIVE amounts of work done in a day. I wanted to be able to do that.

But World's Crossing is unique. The way I make it is unique. Most games have a TON of repeated shots during dialogue scenes. Even some of my favorites like My New Family absolutely abuse repeated shots during dialogue. World's Crossing doesn't do that. I might repeat a shot here and there, but for the most part, but my dialogue scenes are almost like watching a movie, where the shot changes every three to four lines and replaces with fresh shots. Same with the intimate scenes. They're not predictable, 1 position, 3-speed-then-climax rinse-and-repeats. Each new shot is a carefully planned angle that's meant to deliver more to the experience and attempts to keep things fresh and real.

This obsession with player experience, immersion, and quality is what I believe sets World's Crossing Academy apart from your typical H-game, up to and including even some of the most beloved titles out there. I will never be the best H-game dev out there. But I WILL give my all and do everything I can to improve my skills and deliver you an experience that grabs at your heart, whether you want it to or not.

I'm back in the saddle.

Chapter 6 continues.

Let's make this a story worth talking about for years.

-Vic
Meh, we're not patient at all, you're just not aware of the offline conspiracy where we were planning on coming to your house and beating you if you didn't get back to work on the game. I mean, come on - how does a near death experience and major personal difficulties compare to our needs :rolleyes:. Get real!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, glad to see you feel like working on the game again, but don't feel pressure if "life intrudes".....we'll still be here ;)

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021
It helps when devs also don't ghost the community and show they are still working on the games they make :sneaky:

Trynn

Jul 10, 2018
Wow, I picked a good day to follow up on this. Glad to hear you're doing fine mate.

There are a few games I wait for updates for. There are fewer that I actively go looking for after a while, hoping that work on them hasn't stopped. I'm really pleased that you're in a place where you can feel productive again. Hail to the little green girls, be they plant, animal or mineral : V

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Poll: Regarding Aoibheann's Dialogue

So I got an interesting bit of feedback on the feedback form, and I want to explore this. The feedback goes:

"Please STOP trying to write an Irish accent. It is not even CLOSE to actual Irish speakers. It reads like an awful racist stereotype that mixes up multiple Irish and Scottish dialects.

Either get actual Irish people to review and revise her dialogue, or scrap the "hoho top of the morning oi'm a leprechaun"-type nonsense entirely. Just write her dialogue like a normal person speaking standard English. If you just say she's Irish, people will know. They can read her lines in their head as such.

It is the one glaring criticism I have of this game's writing, because otherwise the charactisation and dialogue is pretty solid. But my god every time I try to read Aoibheann's dialogue it makes me want to force-quit the application."

My writing of Aoibheann, as true as I TRIED to make it to Irish vernacular, seemed to still fall short and offend someone who was actually Irish. I had a decision to make when I wrote her, and one option was what this person was suggesting, just telling the reader in narration that she has a thick Irish accent and let the reader just imagine her speaking in such a fashion. My question to you all is, is Aoibheann's dialogue over the top? Would you also like to see the vernacular toned down a bit and leave more to the imagination?

This is a PUBLIC POLL on the Patreon; you do NOT need to be paying in order to weigh in.

Vote here:

Kionashi

Jul 11, 2021
lol

Im actually conflicted... on one side, I can see how Aoibheann could sound like a racist caricature for actual Irish people and I understand it would be more sensible to change the way she speaks....in the other hand I find the way she speaks pretty endearing and honestly kinda cute.

The narration solution don't really work for me particularly since Im from Venezuela and currently living in Spain,and while I can recognize and differentiate from the English and American accent, I can't reliably imagine Irish accent since I don't hear it near as often.

Of course there is always a middle point, maybe consulting with some actual irish lads to make it, while still a heavy handed Irish vernacular, at least a more accurate Irish vernacular?

Mephistopoles

Nov 24, 2019
well.... im german and dont have any contact with irish ppl. so i cant say whats okay and what not.
if you plan a character with german background i will gladly help you out. XD

Aoibheann as a character is direct, kind and freaking cute. i enjoyed reading her part but i had to use google a few time to get a few words. i can see if ppl say that its almost racist, BUT it had no intention to make fun of them or their country. Vic just tried to make a believable character with deep roots to her home.

if that offended person (or other ppl) would help to iron out the biggest no-go's for Aoibheann character.... than we all get what we want: an even better character! XD

i like Aoibheann as she is, but understand the other standpoint. so... do as you see fit Vic.

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
See that's what I'm thinking. Maybe the middle-ground would be to get someone of Irish heritage to help me rewrite her dialogue so she still represents the culture, but in a much more fair and accurate way.

Mograx

Oct 16, 2019
Have you seen Scottish twitter? They type in ways that are exactly how they speak. It's hard to comprehend a lot, but pretty funny. There's whole accounts dedicated to posting hilarious interactions of Scottish twitter users interacting w/ each other. I know she's Irish, but it still applies I think.

I guarantee you'll find most are fine with it and don't care. Like most of the perpetually offended, they're typically upset on behalf of others. Have there been an influx of Irish players telling you it offends them? I sincerely doubt you have, and doubt you ever will.

It's your story, write it the way you want.

I am Gone

Jun 10, 2020
I'm thinking those that are complaining are probably just watered down Irish descent (like me) and not actually from Ireland.

Unless they are really from Ireland I wouldn't take them too seriously as one person said already people tend to get offended for others about things they really shouldn't.

I LOVE the way she talks I think if you remove that part of her it will probably kill the character. If you are worried about being more realistic/authentic then maybe find someone who lives in Ireland to look over and edit the dialog.

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
Like others I am on the fence about it, but I am also US born. I might have some Irish in my ancestry, but that doesn't mean that I have any clue how anyone that is actually from Ireland would view her. For whatever it is worth, I like her as is.

If it is one or two people that are complaining, they are probably the type that get offended on others behalf and can easily be ignored.
If it is more than that (or if you want to play it safe) then you might want to see if you can either find someone to help with the dialogue or rewrite her as Scottish (I have no idea how important her being Irish is to the past/present/future of the character), & use Scottish Twitter as the basis for anything she says.

Scottish Twitter is hilarious, and might just be the best basis for a character ever. If you haven't checked it out, go do it. You won't regret it at all.

Reactions: AlexaSky

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
I love the game, but I feel like the chapters were very short, especially the first 3.

Will this be more of an open world/exploration game later on, once all or most characters are introduced?

Trynn

Jul 10, 2018
Afraid I can't help as I'm Scottish, not Irish. Not on Twitter though. For Scots, a quick way to write authentic dialogue is typically just to add more swearing and use it as punctuation, gender pronouns and thinking pauses. Not sure about the Irish, but I do know they all sing Brown-Eyed Girl as a "going home from the pub" tradition. Really.

• Haha
Reactions: Mephistopoles
4.50 star(s) 32 Votes