1.40 star(s) 19 Votes

YSP=

Feb 13, 2020
From what I understand, I have not actually looked into the code to confirm this, that is the case. He isn't as skilled as quite a few of the other devs out there, so his code is a bunch of jumbled spaghetti from what I've heard. I don't think we'll be needing a supercomputer, but it will be a massive pain for any modders in the future given how disorganized it probably is.
It is not just the code, it is the models and how objects are tagged for culling. You get huge spikes to the GPU as you have random of complex 3D models with too much geometry for the size, along with the Unity engine not being told property how to cull objects.

Reactions: cooldude33

kuma

Jun 2, 2017
in case some of you haven't noticed mods pretty much want this thread to say on topic which resulted in posts getting deleted you can see that post on Page 5 they should of added the link to that post

Reactions: Zastinx

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
No. That's not what i meant. The "no sex" thing is a whole 'nother can of worms, cos this site just doesn't give a fuck about user experience, and i can't delete tags from my search because not a single competent person managing this site ever thought that maybe it's worth to actually make the page user-friendly - fine, i've accepted it, can't fix stupidity.

I meant, why the everloving fuck is this thing here, when it's on so many other platforms already? what was the point of uploading it here? Is this going to become a normal game pirate site now?
The first four words answered that question, the uploaders need no reason to include something unless there is a potential rule violation. This game does not even remotely violate rules like #7, which is the main one that causes the uploaders to hold back a bit, so they had no reason not to upload it. I do believe it does have to be recommended for upload, though, so somebody obviously requested/recommended it to the uploaders and they approved.

It is not just the code, it is the models and how objects are tagged for culling. You get huge spikes to the GPU as you have random of complex 3D models with too much geometry for the size, along with the Unity engine not being told property how to cull objects.
Those are actually default models from the Unity shop with a few volunteer created assets, so that means the base Unity assets are a problem themselves.

why is this tagged with loli?
I would love to know the answer myself, none of them are lolis. They are schoolgirls, sure, I'll give them that, but loli is a stretch because this takes place in a high school AND all the models are literally the same height, just variations of skin and hair color and style.

cannon9009

Aug 17, 2018
That's kinda interesting. he got pressured for Osana and etc. on month ago and now release the new update.
I feel like the pressure ramped up significantly when he sent out that joke osana program. It's one thing to do [insert everything before Osana happened here] but it's another thing to basically shit on the idea that thousands of people are rightfully egging you on about.

cannon9009

Aug 17, 2018
Those are actually default models from the Unity shop with a few volunteer created assets, so that means the base Unity assets are a problem themselves.
You didn't get the point of the person you quoted. It's not about where they came from. It's about what the model actually is. There's a fucking toothbrush in the game that has more detail than most items in the game, and yet it's so small you wouldn't even see these details unless you hacked the camera and zoomed in. That model isn't meant to be used as a tiny detail in a bathroom, it's meant to be large, maybe as a close-up shot of brushing your teeth or something. Unfortunately, no such thing like that exists in the game, so there's no reason for it to exist as it is. Such a problem could be fixed by either finding a different, much less detailed model, or in theory, editing the existing model to make it less detailed.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
You didn't get the point of the person you quoted. It's not about where they came from. It's about what the model actually is. There's a fucking toothbrush in the game that has more detail than most items in the game, and yet it's so small you wouldn't even see these details unless you hacked the camera and zoomed in. That model isn't meant to be used as a tiny detail in a bathroom, it's meant to be large, maybe as a close-up shot of brushing your teeth or something. Unfortunately, no such thing like that exists in the game, so there's no reason for it to exist as it is. Such a problem could be fixed by either finding a different, much less detailed model, or in theory, editing the existing model to make it less detailed.
It seems you missed my point, he didn't have control over the models currently in the game as far as the detail level and poly count, they were developed by a third party not associated with the project, he just acquired them from the store. That said, maybe there is a model in the store that fits what you describe, maybe there isn't, the first scenario being more likely. Also, he has said on multiple occasions that most assets are still placeholders, so it probably fits that category and will be replaced down the line. I do have a bit of a related complaint, though. I just saw the slideshow that serves as a placeholder for the intro to the second rival and Senpai's outfit is absolutely atrocious. I'm not one to worry about fashion sense or anything like that, but his outfit in that scene clashes so much it hurts.

Andromaliuz

Jan 27, 2019
It seems like some mods are really determined to defend this game, maybe they're alex supporters, who knows? The way they delete posts certainly reminds me of YandereDev's Discord. They leave positive posts that do not focus in the game, but if you say something bad they will delete your post and say you broke the rules. Just in case they delete my post again, I just wanted to say that I really wanted to be a part of this community, It is truly a shame that free thought seems to be so opressed here, and the way some mods seem to judge what is right or not so subjectively. Some things may be hurtful to read but are pure facts, mature people should be able to handle harsh criticism, I never used foul language to express myself. People should be aware who they are supporting.

YSP=

Feb 13, 2020
It seems you missed my point, he didn't have control over the models currently in the game as far as the detail level and poly count, they were developed by a third party not associated with the project, he just acquired them from the store. That said, maybe there is a model in the store that fits what you describe, maybe there isn't, the first scenario being more likely. Also, he has said on multiple occasions that most assets are still placeholders, so it probably fits that category and will be replaced down the line. I do have a bit of a related complaint, though. I just saw the slideshow that serves as a placeholder for the intro to the second rival and Senpai's outfit is absolutely atrocious. I'm not one to worry about fashion sense or anything like that, but his outfit in that scene clashes so much it hurts.
This is a problem of mixing and matching 3rd party assets as they are to different scales and not optimized to remove geometry that will never be seen. Take a camera out of bounds in even medium budget games and you'll see through objects from the side the camera can never be because the 3D model only has geometry the camera can see without hacks, i.e there won't be any data for the underside of a sofa if the camera never gets low enough to see it.

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
It seems like some mods are really determined to defend this game, maybe they're alex supporters, who knows? The way they delete posts certainly reminds me of YandereDev's Discord. They leave positive posts that do not focus in the game, but if you say something bad they will delete your post and say you broke the rules. Just in case they delete my post again, I just wanted to say that I really wanted to be a part of this community, It is truly a shame that free thought seems to be so opressed here, and the way some mods seem to judge what is right or not so subjectively. Some things may be hurtful to read but are pure facts, mature people should be able to handle harsh criticism, I never used foul language to express myself. People should be aware who they are supporting.
We most certainly do our best not to censor anyone - but game threads are to talk about the actual game.
Not the dumb, lazy actions of its ridiculous dev.

You can post anything you want on this thread - YanDev Dumpster Fire Thread

Meme away.......:sneaky:

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
This is a problem of mixing and matching 3rd party assets as they are to different scales and not optimized to remove geometry that will never be seen. Take a camera out of bounds in even medium budget games and you'll see through objects from the side the camera can never be because the 3D model only has geometry the camera can see without hacks, i.e there won't be any data for the underside of a sofa if the camera never gets low enough to see it.
As I said, he basically just threw things in there to use as placeholders, very little of the game uses the assets he intends it to according to his own words. A placeholder doesn't need much effort, just pick something and toss it in. Performance should be considered, of course, but still, this is only a temporary issue.

• Angry
Reactions: Zastinx
Sep 22, 2017
It seems you missed my point, he didn't have control over the models currently in the game as far as the detail level and poly count, they were developed by a third party not associated with the project, he just acquired them from the store.
That excuse doesn't hold up well as it is trivially easy to import a model into Blender, manually remove subdivisions (or automatically with decimate if you're especially lazy like YandereDev is) and then export it. It is a process that takes less than 60 seconds if you have even a vague idea what you're doing. Surely the license covers modification, else why would you spend money on a placeholder that would need to be outright replaced later in development?
The problem is that this issue is applied to the whole game and the performance suffers for it. You can't just chuck in assets from various sources without curation and expect it to perform well. You also can't litter an in-development game with extremely unoptimized assets with the plan of fixing it down the road, because (large-scale, not micro) optimization is best handled during development. There's a reason that traditional placeholder art is ugly and low detail: that being that it runs well while obviously just filling in. When you use 3DFX-quality assets for placeholders you misrepresent the project's optimization and leave little incentive to replace them later if you have bad work ethics or priority management.

Reactions: Beggarman

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
That excuse doesn't hold up well as it is trivially easy to import a model into Blender, manually remove subdivisions (or automatically with decimate if you're especially lazy like YandereDev is) and then export it. It is a process that takes less than 60 seconds if you have even a vague idea what you're doing. Surely the license covers modification, else why would you spend money on a placeholder that would need to be outright replaced later in development?
The problem is that this issue is applied to the whole game and the performance suffers for it. You can't just chuck in assets from various sources without curation and expect it to perform well. You also can't litter an in-development game with extremely unoptimized assets with the plan of fixing it down the road, because (large-scale, not micro) optimization is best handled during development. There's a reason that traditional placeholder art is ugly and low detail: that being that it runs well while obviously just filling in. When you use 3DFX-quality assets for placeholders you misrepresent the project's optimization and leave little incentive to replace them later if you have bad work ethics or priority management.
It does when the effort is wasted on a placeholder that would just get tossed later anyway. He'd be better off saving the work in Blender for the permanent assets. That's 60 seconds, per object mind you, that could be used to actually make the game. It was either spend money to buy a premade object or spend possibly more to get one made, at which point he might as well have the person doing the placeholder just make the permanent asset instead. It boils down to this, he spent money because the objects weren't uploaded for free use. As far as the assets used being unoptimized, that is the maker's fault, not his. I really don't see why they would even put unoptimized assets up in the first place when it is well known what unoptimized assets are capable of doing to a game's performance. He wasn't expecting it to perform well, he was expecting it to fill what would otherwise be empty space until the permanent asset is made and implemented just like he expects the slideshow that is the cutscene placeholder for both the Osana visiting Ayano cutscene and the Amai introduction cutscene to hold that place until such time as actual animations are made for those scenes. Optimization will be handled during development, just after the permanent assets are in so he doesn't have to go through the process all over.

1.40 star(s) 19 Votes