bip77

Apr 21, 2020
This coulda been great if it were a sandbox type of game.
I have to agree - it would be great if it's done well.

The first renpy game I played was "MythicManor" which still is a great sandbox game. You are free to choose, where to go, whom to date, what to to, when to do. And you can continue to play without limit.

Unfortunately most sandbox games tend to be a "grind fest". To make a good sandbox game a lot of work and effort has to be put into it - which is rare.

VNs on the other hand are not really games IMHO. You walk through a story, make a decision here and there to miss a scene or not and that's it. A lot of people don't bother to decide anyway but follow a walkthough. As long as the story fits ones taste, all may be shiny. But beware if suddenly the plot goes into a direction which I don't like? Or the mc acts like I myself never would?

So yes: good sandbox is great, but a lot of work to make it right.

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
I have to agree - it would be great if it's done well.

The first renpy game I played was "MythicManor" which still is a great sandbox game. You are free to choose, where to go, whom to date, what to to, when to do. And you can continue to play without limit.

Unfortunately most sandbox games tend to be a "grind fest". To make a good sandbox game a lot of work and effort has to be put into it - which is rare.

VNs on the other hand are not really games IMHO. You walk through a story, make a decision here and there to miss a scene or not and that's it. A lot of people don't bother to decide anyway but follow a walkthough. As long as the story fits ones taste, all may be shiny. But beware if suddenly the plot goes into a direction which I don't like? Or the mc acts like I myself never would?

So yes: good sandbox is great, but a lot of work to make it right.
For me it's the other way around. The sandbox games I know mostly are kinda "kinetic" for the story and characters, you can't change there much, the scenes you get are always the same. Also there are VN's with very heavy game changes after the choices you made, too. So you maybe have only played the simplier VN's.

For me a sandbox is only a different way you can get to the scenes of the game, not if and how your interactions have influence to the story. That can be also done in a VN. I also already have seen VN's with a kind of grinding also (yikes). Maybe a Sandbox/free roam feels a bit more like a game because of these special parts - but to have a "full games feeling" they are to limited for me either.

bip77

Apr 21, 2020
Hmm...
I just heard "fuck" and "sandbox"... (y)
That's the spirit! Thank you for these eloquent agreements.

Reactions: gam2000

???????????

Jun 12, 2018
So Is ruby a mandatory route? It seems like she is the only route I can't just end like Emma or Anna unless I missed something.

Reactions: Sagf

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
So Is ruby a mandatory route? It seems like she is the only route I can't just end like Emma or Anna unless I missed something.
Yes, Ruby route is mandatory at the moment.

Just fuck sandbox period.
Agreed. Even in "good" sandbox games, the story is more or less linear. But the story is obscured by bullshit like eating, showering, checking rooms, random clicking for hidden objects etc. etc.

In an erotic game, I want eroticism. This means relationship building and lewds, with a sufficient amount of back story to avoid it getting boring. Eating and checking empty rooms is not erotic. Showering loses every sense of eroticism after spying on your sister for the 500th time hoping to finally catch the "random event"... :rolleyes:

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Yes, Ruby route is mandatory at the moment.

Agreed. Even in "good" sandbox games, the story is more or less linear. But the story is obscured by bullshit like eating, showering, checking rooms, random clicking for hidden objects etc. etc.

In an erotic game, I want eroticism. This means relationship building and lewds, with a sufficient amount of back story to avoid it getting boring. Eating and checking empty rooms is not erotic. Showering loses every sense of eroticism after spying on your sister for the 500th time hoping to finally catch the "random event"... :rolleyes:
Then you guys haven't played Come Home.

Reactions: Crimsonfiend76

kschn68

Jul 18, 2019
Tried once a game from the dev CeLaVie (Room for rent) :eek: - never touched a sandbox since then anymore...

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Then you guys haven't played Come Home.
No I haven't. Will try it, maybe it's good.

But I am talking about the general distraction that all sandbox games have, by design of being a sandbox.

I do play sandbox games, some are ok, some even good, but for most games, it's a distraction rather than a feature.

One game where sandbox / game play is actually a feature used to great effect is this one:
https://f95zone.to/threads/patronus-v3-2-72r18-dve-games.12458/

However, people complain that mechanics are broken, story progression is slow, etc. All consequences of the game design.

4.10 star(s) 89 Votes