RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017

New Year just dropped

Some time in November, Zero End celebrated its first year of development. Well, celebrated might be a bit much since I completely forgot about it (I'd make a horrible parent), but it did mark its anniversary. I figured since the game's been out for a year and we're on the precipice of a new one, I'd look back on everything that's happened and laugh-cry over it, then ponder what the future holds.
First and foremost, a big and thicc thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the kind words and support. I know it might sound disingenuous to say I couldn't have done this without your support, but it's true. I was very familiar with the realities of game development when I started, but I didn't realize just how difficult it would be doing it alongside a full-time job (it kinda tripped me up because the first 6 months or so were easy). I don't think I could have kept the motivation and excitement about the project going for so long without your kind words of support, without seeing you excited to play the next installment, without knowing there are people who like what I'm doing here. I love this game, but you make all the effort feel like it's worth it. So thank you for that.
I feel like I've learned so much in the last year. When I started the project, I didn't really know much about anything apart from writing and game design, so I started to learn about photography and cinematography which has been a bunch of fun and it's awesome (and cringe) to compare some of my first images with what I'm capable of now. I hope this continues and I cringe again next year at what I'm doing now. When I got to developing the game, I wasn't sure what I wanted it to be. My creative process at the start of a project is to have a character, some ideas, and to place them in the world and see how they interact with it. You'll notice this if you go through the first half of the first release--it feels rather rough and unfocused. Still, what I knew is that I wanted an occult mystery that slowly got revealed over time and that I wanted to draw inspiration from World of Darkness and Hellblazer. Bloodlines, specifically, was a large part of that inspiration, and now, a year later, Zero End is fairly well regarded by a relatively small number of people. Much like Bloodlines. Not sure what I was expecting there.
This year, I've also created my own company. So I guess I'm a business owner now. Unfortnately, I've already engaged in sexual relations with the only employee.
Turning my gaze forward, I'm... not sure what will happen. A lot of things depend on the Steam release and how well that goes, but judging by the number of wishlists, it won't be enough for me to work on the project full-time, so it's very likely that I'll keep going as I did in the previous year. On the subject of the project itself, I expect the new release will be ready some time in the first quarter of next year. After that, I'll probably need some time to figure out how to deal with Steam DLC releases. And probably take a vacation, I feel like I'm on my last 10% of battery.

Finally, I really wanted to have a showcase of some of the most heartwarming feedback I've received in the last year, but looking through it all, I just couldn't pick one I liked the most. I will say, however, that I read them over and over when I feel bad and it always makes me feel better, like whatever's happening isn't as bad because I still have this project and the people who enjoy it. So anyway, since I can't pick a good one, we'll instead be looking at the stupidest, most unhinged shit I could find.

>accepts offer for oral sex from a person he's just met
>decides to follow her path
>finds out she's a succubus
>angry that his sex demon girlfriend used to be promiscuous
My brother in Christ, you're the one who picked her route.

I think I might have taken too much modafinil. Reading back through this text, it reads like a chimeric abomination combining a heartfelt thank you and a shitpost. But, thinking about it, that's a very accurate descriptor of my personality, so here's to the next year! May it be better than the last.
Happy New Year!
--SR
I feel your pain. This type of nonsense is quite common in some games out here.

Oh, no, it would be super easy, it's just not my design vision. I get some amount of... let's say backlash, over some creative decisions. Sometimes, I take the feedback and adjust going forward, like with the day 2 puzzles. Other times, like with the naming, I do not.
I work as a game designer for mobile games and every decision comes down from suits and is made to wring as much money from players as possible. If I came to this project with that mindset, naming the main character would have been a must-have; a harem option too. But the story would have suffered as a result. It's just not that kind of project. Some stories just need certain things to work. I realize this alienates some people, but my purpose here is to write the best story that I can. Because of its episodic nature, a lot of design decisions will be difficult to understand as players do not have the whole context. The only thing I can say is trust me, nothing is accidental. It's building up to something.
100% with you here. Make the game that you want to make, trying to please everyone never ends well. (y)

Reactions: McGreed

PickerLewd

Dec 22, 2022
This game has probably the most complicated puzzles I've played in Renpy so far, I like it but I feel dirty because I had to look for an answer in a Wiki (not the cipher part but the song that comes after). If the answers were in the game and I missed them, it's my fault, but if they're not in the game, I don't know if it's a good idea to break the player's immersion to look something up on the internet (especially people who spend hours in the game playing in fullscreen).
Think I'm almost at the end of the game, but I have a question for someone who's already finished it. So I'll put it in spoilers.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

By the way, Swansong could be Jeanette's daughter from VtM Bloodlines, she looks very similar and it's been almost 20 years since that masterpiece.
Wishlisted !!!

PickerLewd

Dec 22, 2022
Why is the "no deity" path not recommended for a first playthrough?
Because playing without a deity is an early build and by chapter 3 of the game it will suck. You start with all stats at 13, but they require much more xp to keep going up than stats that start at 10.
If you choose a deity, you only have 1 stat that will cost you to increase in the future, whereas without a deity, everything will cost you to increase, I think this is a build for when you more or less know what you're doing :D.

AmerHST

Jun 19, 2020
Because playing without a deity is an early build and by chapter 3 of the game it will suck. You start with all stats at 13, but they require much more xp to keep going up than stats that start at 10.
If you choose a deity, you only have 1 stat that will cost you to increase in the future, whereas without a deity, everything will cost you to increase, I think this is a build for when you more or less know what you're doing :D.
Most are checks 13 or less though. Only reason I can find in choosing a deity as of right now, is that it unlocks some special scenes and even then depending on your choices, you might never get to see those.

I can't fault your reason though, maybe checks will get harder later on and the xp matters a lot more then.

PickerLewd

Dec 22, 2022
The gallery tells us that the game will have five chapters and the first chapter contains 3 days, so I guess the game will end on day 15 (20% completed). It's perfect, you arrive at the College of weirdos and in two weeks you solve everything without studying and you go back home to stop them bothering you or you die trying :KEK:.
For me the only weak part is the first 10 minutes, everything happens very fast and we don't see who Caleb lives with, maybe he inherits his abilities from his mother or father.

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
Totally .. if MC was not already headding over to Magik School for Later in Life when we meet him, on the bus to where he will stay for eternity unless we make the early exit this chapter ... where he tells us he stopped his education and went to hop from one job to another. MC is even wondering if it was his parents or anyone else who paid for his sudden acceptance in a school he never applied for or even once heard of or looked for in his life.
For me the only weak part is the first 10 minutes, everything happens very fast and we don't see who Caleb lives with, maybe he inherits his abilities from his mother or father.
All these clues would have clued any player looking for the lore in on the fact MC is not on speaking terms with his folks, not once is he even attempting to call them or ever wonders about their whereabouts, like his family is all cut outta his life.

Sivershock

Jan 29, 2020
Damn, that was good, wishlisted in steam btw. Only critique a can come up with is, well, a deity list. You can go with half as many, but twice as impactful. We even got minigames skip for the second run. And i almost forgot that you can't rename MC, but with the story this good - i don't even care... much.

Kylemnb

Sep 2, 2021
I'm giving up on this lol, Been stuck on the infiltration part of the game for an hour, Been in every room and clicked everything I possibly could and I'm at 90% of info gathered and can't continue, This game has immense potential but dear god at least but in a hint system for this kind of thing

Drafox

Jul 27, 2017
I highly recommend this game, it's rare for me to like all of the main characters...It has the perfect balance of path branching and offers enough freedom that it feels like a true role playing experience, you don't need to name the MC after yourself to be immersed when both the writing and the overall world building are this good I guess.

I'm giving up on this lol, Been stuck on the infiltration part of the game for an hour, Been in every room and clicked everything I possibly could and I'm at 90% of info gathered and can't continue, This game has immense potential but dear god at least but in a hint system for this kind of thing
Hey there, I assume you got stuck in the last two puzzles, well the second one can be deciphered using this

as for the last solution, you can just google part of the lyrics, I think it was done on purpose to break the fourth wall.

Last edited:

Kylemnb

Sep 2, 2021
I highly recommend this game, it's rare for me to like all of the main characters...It has the perfect balance of path branching and offers enough freedom that it feels like a true role playing experience, you don't need to name the MC after yourself to be immersed when both the writing and the overall world building are this good I guess.

Hey there, I assume you got stuck in the last two puzzles, well the second one can be deciphered using this

as for the last solution, you can just google part of the lyrics, I think it was done on purpose to break the fourth wall.
I had no issue with the cypher because my father taught me how to do it, As for the poetry I didnt have problems with because I was an English major and studied poetry, My issue was infiltrating the enemy base, I went through every room and couldnt find the last clue in order to move on, Spent an hour in there just going through every room and hovering my mouse over everything and just couldn't find anything

PickerLewd

Dec 22, 2022
You only need 60% to progress in the story, are you sure you have visited all the locations?
Look at the map in the walkthrough of the first post, there are difficult clues to find, like the one in the attic after solving the riddle of the ghost, or one hidden under a bed that you can only see by hovering over it.

4.90 star(s) 40 Votes