Sep 3, 2020
Must have been a hard choice for you Vidal. I mean, the ex is also a cold bitch, which is walking over the MC and playing him :ROFLMAO:
:love:
you know what brother I never thought of it like that

but swansong is not instantly in love with me or instantly likes me like the other girls she'll make me work for it

but once I get her affection she's going to be very possessive I like possessive women

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
:love:
you know what brother I never thought of it like that

but swansong is not instantly in love with me or instantly likes me like the other girls she'll make me work for it

but once I get her affection she's going to be very possessive I like possessive women
I'm curious if that will play out for you as you wish :LOL:
She certainly is the most attractive out of the girls.

mr.AwesomeGameTaste

Feb 18, 2021
I gave it a chance and I think it has potential,but I have a few problems. The atmosphere,the horror elements,the world building and the mystery are all great, you can see the dev put great care into this and it shows. The Inspirations cited in the op are mostly things I love as well,so the game like this is greatly appreciated. However I have to say I don't really like any of the characters. Brandon is the annoying sidekick friend,I get it,still,he is annoying and i wish he'd open the door to some of those demons. The girls range from just ok to uninteresting or annoying,and I don't know who to choose and not because there are so many,but bc I don't like any. It's also jarring to me how most of them are into the mc right away,apart from the ones that are mean and cold only to fall even harder obviously.Are they all succubi? Mc is just so annoyingly edgy too,like i really had to skip his lines a few times,and I know the dev is aware of that,but that doesn't help. Even when you make the character annoying and edgy on purpose, he has to be somewhat likeable and in my opinion,caleb isn't. Like I said there are many things that I like about this game and I eagerly await to be proven wrong in the future chapters. That's why I decided to write my mini review in the thread,because I feel like it would've been unfair to rate this promising game low at such an early point. Good luck to the dev and I appreciate the work you put in,but my criticisms are genuine.

Reactions: HunterSeeker
Sep 3, 2020
I gave it a chance and I think it has potential,but I have a few problems. The atmosphere,the horror elements,the world building and the mystery are all great, you can see the dev put great care into this and it shows. The Inspirations cited in the op are mostly things I love as well,so the game like this is greatly appreciated. However I have to say I don't really like any of the characters. Brandon is the annoying sidekick friend,I get it,still,he is annoying and i wish he'd open the door to some of those demons. The girls range from just ok to uninteresting or annoying,and I don't know who to choose and not because there are so many,but bc I don't like any. It's also jarring to me how most of them are into the mc right away,apart from the ones that are mean and cold only to fall even harder obviously.Are they all succubi? Mc is just so annoyingly edgy too,like i really had to skip his lines a few times,and I know the dev is aware of that,but that doesn't help. Even when you make the character annoying and edgy on purpose, he has to be somewhat likeable and in my opinion,caleb isn't. Like I said there are many things that I like about this game and I eagerly await to be proven wrong in the future chapters. That's why I decided to write my mini review in the thread,because I feel like it would've been unfair to rate this promising game low at such an early point. Good luck to the dev and I appreciate the work you put in,but my criticisms are genuine.
that is one of the reasons why I love Swan Song

does not instantly fall for the MC
I'm calling it now swansong is the baddest female character in the entire game fight me

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
It's also jarring to me how most of them are into the mc right away,apart from the ones that are mean and cold only to fall even harder obviously.
I wonder if that's really true considering Zero End is a game where almost everyone seems to have their own agenda and secret motives. Do we really know who genuinely likes Caleb versus who wants to use him in some way? I think Rayne does fall for Caleb pretty much immediately...in fact, both sides of her do, and that does seem quite genuine. I'm not sure anyone else is really in that category, however.

Alice is weird and inscrutable. Keira is initially hostile though she quickly changes her tune. My favorite character, Selena, is always nice to the MC, but I'd hardly say she's in love with him at this point. Marie's motives and true nature remain quite shrouded in mystery. It's easy to unlock sex scenes with Brianna and Odette, but I'm personally quite skeptical of Brianna's backstory and suspect she might just be trying to get close to Caleb for some unknown reason. As for Odette, she definitely does not seem the type to fall head over heels for anyone, particularly a human, and she doesn't seem particularly impressed with our MC so far. It's not a given that Swansong wants Caleb to be anything more than a blood dispenser even if she does enjoy playing with her food. Silver and the dean seem to view him as little more than a chess piece to be used and discarded. I can understand not liking characters who may not be trustworthy, but I'm looking forward to finding out for myself what these characters are really all about. I'd definitely say most of them are interesting to one degree or another!

As for your other points, I think Brandon is hilarious and has proven himself to be a great friend so far who has repeatedly had Caleb's back when it has counted the most. He has his weaknesses and quirks, to be sure, but I'd definitely want him on my side in a fight. I also find Caleb to be an interesting and refreshingly different type of MC. He doesn't take his edginess all that seriously and can laugh about it so it doesn't irritate me. I like that he actually has a personality and backstory that has made him who he is.

I'm sure your criticisms are genuine as you say and your opinions are as valid as anyone else, but I pretty much feel the exact opposite as you on every topic you brought up. That means that if the game was changed to better suit your awesome taste I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I do currently.

Last edited:

mr.AwesomeGameTaste

Feb 18, 2021
I wonder if that's really true considering Zero End is a game where almost everyone seems to have their own agenda and secret motives. Do we really know who genuinely likes Caleb versus who wants to use him in some way? I think Rayne does fall for Caleb pretty much immediately...in fact, both sides of her do, and that does seem quite genuine. I'm not sure anyone else is really in that category, however.

Alice is weird and inscrutable. Keira is initially hostile though she quickly changes her tune. My favorite character, Serena, is always nice to the MC, but I'd hardly say she's in love with him at this point. Marie's motives and true nature remain quite shrouded in mystery. It's easy to unlock sex scenes with Brianna and Odette, but I'm personally quite skeptical of Brianna's backstory and suspect she might just be trying to get close to Caleb for some unknown reason. As for Odette, she definitely does not seem the type to fall head over heels for anyone, particularly a human, and she doesn't seem particularly impressed with our MC so far. It's not a given that Swansong wants Caleb to be anything more than a blood dispenser even if she does enjoy playing with her food. Silver and the dean seem to view him as little more than a chess piece to be used and discarded. I can understand not liking characters who may not be trustworthy, but I'm looking forward to finding out for myself what these characters are really all about. I'd definitely say most of them are interesting to one degree or another!

As for your other points, I think Brandon is hilarious and has proven himself to be a great friend so far who has repeatedly had Caleb's back when it has counted the most. He has his weaknesses and quirks, to be sure, but I'd definitely want him on my side in a fight. I also find Caleb to be an interesting and refreshingly different type of MC. He doesn't take his edginess all that seriously and can laugh about it so it doesn't irritate me. I like that he actually has a personality and backstory that has made him who he is.

I'm sure your criticisms are genuine as you say and your opinions are as valid as anyone else, but I pretty much feel the exact opposite as you on every topic you brought up. That means that if the game was changed to better suit your awesome taste I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I do currently.
everyone is entitled to an opinion and I do see where you are coming from. Brandon just irks me in the wrong way and i do not find him funny. Besides the type of quirky and silly male companion is so common in vn's I've become quite jaded towards them,as their quirks often are there to only uplift the mc and put him in contrast to them which I don't find amusing,think Derek from Badik as an example,although Brandon's skills are what puts him ahead. Still,I dislike him. As for the girls, those who fall head over heels for you right away just automatically become less interesting and that's also something i feel in real life,so yeah that's a me thing,but i stand by my opinion. The others like Swansong are better,but I still didn't feel like I cared for those characters. Caleb has a backstory that justifies his behavior,but you know,that is not an excuse for me. Everyone has a history and you can dislike them no matter what. You are allowed to dislike even the most unfortunate people and not be willing to put up with them. There is this terrible trend in modern writing where writers are aware of bad tropes or just things that people may find annoying or over the top and they use the characters within their work to point that out. If you watch the infamous "Velma" show,the writers are constantly operating with this meta humor,but that doesn't make it any less terrible. This game of course is much more enjoyable than Velma,and Im sorry to the dev for comparing his game to that,yet it is a good example of what I'm talking about. As for the "they all seem to have an agenda",yeah, I wrote that I find the intrigue and story great. Maybe I should've specified,but I meant that the girls are uninteresting to me in a relationship sense, I don't really want to spend the time with them outside the main story/missions. If this game was a pure horror/mystery vn with no relationships/love/sex It wouldn't lose much to me (although I have to congratulate the dev on the actual sex animations,they are pretty nice). As I said I do like the game,but my point stands and that's just my opinion.

Reactions: BGRW2020

Stolen_rose

Game Developer
Aug 3, 2022
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Seeing various perspectives is always helpful for improvement.

It seems like you've made up your mind that you don't like the characters, and I don't think anything I say can change that. Even if I assured you that there's more to them, you may not like that "more." And that's perfectly fine. When I started writing the script for the game, I knew it would not be for everyone. There's nothing wrong with that.
I love all of my characters(apart from Invictus; I always feel like I need a few showers after writing him), but I don't expect others to love them as well. Some people like some, some like others. All I can do is write the best story that I can.
I do hope you stick around for the mystery/horror bits though, there's definitely more to come on that front.

mr.AwesomeGameTaste

Feb 18, 2021
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Seeing various perspectives is always helpful for improvement.

It seems like you've made up your mind that you don't like the characters, and I don't think anything I say can change that. Even if I assured you that there's more to them, you may not like that "more." And that's perfectly fine. When I started writing the script for the game, I knew it would not be for everyone. There's nothing wrong with that.
I love all of my characters(apart from Invictus; I always feel like I need a few showers after writing him), but I don't expect others to love them as well. Some people like some, some like others. All I can do is write the best story that I can.
I do hope you stick around for the mystery/horror bits though, there's definitely more to come on that front.
I will stick around and as I said I hope to be proven wrong,or rather,have my mind changed. I made up my mind that I don't like most of them right now and It's only logical that there is more to them so we will see. I may not like whatever's in store for them as you said, but I keep an open mind,as I would like to like them and the game as a whole even more. That's why I even wrote all that,as normally I don't waste time on things I don't like and just ignore them. Good luck.

Alleycat_2017

Sep 1, 2017
I like the Caleb character, he's flawed, has weaknesses, and is aware of them. He gets by by playing on his strengths, which so far seems to be the ability to think on his feet. There is also a wry, fatalistic humour. I don't think we're supposed to like half the female cast Silver, Marie, the Dean, Odette, are not particularly likeable. The rest of the girls, early days and still developing. The outlier is Swansong for me. A supernatural Harley Quinn. She's just trouble, doing whatever she wants, whenever she wants to do it. When you least want her to do it. The love/hate rollercoaster in the making. "We're not fighting, that's just foreplay".

Sep 3, 2020
I like the Caleb character, he's flawed, has weaknesses, and is aware of them. He gets by by playing on his strengths, which so far seems to be the ability to think on his feet. There is also a wry, fatalistic humour. I don't think we're supposed to like half the female cast Silver, Marie, the Dean, Odette, are not particularly likeable. The rest of the girls, early days and still developing. The outlier is Swansong for me. A supernatural Harley Quinn. She's just trouble, doing whatever she wants, whenever she wants to do it. When you least want her to do it. The love/hate rollercoaster in the making. "We're not fighting, that's just foreplay".
you're goddamn right brother and swansong does not look like Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn looks like Swansong

for all, we know somebody must have passed Swansong in the street and designed Harlequin after her

EndlessNights

Jun 18, 2022
I don't think we're supposed to like half the female cast Silver, Marie, the Dean, Odette, are not particularly likeable. The rest of the girls, early days and still developing. The outlier is Swansong for me. A supernatural Harley Quinn. She's just trouble, doing whatever she wants, whenever she wants to do it. When you least want her to do it. The love/hate rollercoaster in the making. "We're not fighting, that's just foreplay".
I wonder if I'm the only person here who actually preferred Odette to Swansong. I liked Odette's honesty and straightforwardness. She's not exactly polite, but she doesn't quite shut Caleb down like Silver does either. They were able to have an actual back and forth conversation at least. It didn't really feel like she has some grand design for him either, though it seems pursuing her suits Silver's ends at least in the short-term. There's still a sense of danger attached to going after her even if she seems to be more inclined to bed Caleb than eat or murder him.

Swansong is definitely seductive and attractive, but super predatory and violent. She's not just dangerous to Caleb, but a threat to his friends as well. She seems like potentially a good choice if you hate the other characters because she might just get rid of a few along the way. Is she unhinged or just a typical vampire with one thing on her mind? Caleb will have his work cut out for him either way. Looks-wise, she reminds me a bit more of Jeanette Voerman from Vampire: the Masquerade -- Bloodlines than Harley Quinn. Many AVNs have been inspired by VTMB, but I'd say Zero End is the one that comes closest to recapturing the atmosphere of the original that I've ever played.

This is waaaaaay out there, but I'm wondering if Stolen Rose might be a Marcel Proust fan. Odette Swann is a character in Remembrance of Things Past so I found it interesting that we have both an Odette and a Swan(song) in the game. However, I would say Caleb is definitely more amongst the Flowers of Evil than he is in the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower...and that right there is probably one too many French literature jokes for a F95zone post.

4.90 star(s) 60 Votes