3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
Uninstall GP and reinstall it. If you didn't install it through DIM (don't remember if GP DIM support), reload the archive and see where the files are and delete them. Then reinstall fresh. Technically, you might be able to just reinstall it on top, but it might be safer to remove first.

iirc GP had some updates to it, and there are like three version of it here at the forums, so just install the oldest (G8) version, install the second on top of that, and then the latest that introduced 8.1 support.
acusrola to the rescue again! Thank you, that was it!!

For anyone having the same issue, all I did was download all three content-packs from:

Then install them in the order they are presented (I didn't uninstall anything) Just merged the folders (as you do when doing a manual install of DAZ stuff) and overwrite any file your PC wants to overwrite. Install them in the order they are presented in the GP thread:

1. Golden Palace for G8F
2. Genesis 8.1F Patch
3. October 2021 Update

EvasionYT

Jan 6, 2021
I see a bunch of animation assets on different storefronts for Daz and their previews come with models. Is it possible to change those models to your own, ofc still remaining in G8 or whatever they require

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
I see a bunch of animation assets on different storefronts for Daz and their previews come with models. Is it possible to change those models to your own, ofc still remaining in G8 or whatever they require
If the anim is for a given family (eg G8F), you must use a char of the same family or use a pose converter. Note that theses poses or anims generally require tweaks, though, especially is the char is interacting with an object (like a chair) or another char.

EvasionYT

Jan 6, 2021
If the anim is for a given family (eg G8F), you must use a char of the same family or use a pose converter. Note that theses poses or anims generally require tweaks, though, especially is the char is interacting with an object (like a chair) or another char.
You're basically repeating what I said there at the end. But alright, so as long as it's gen 8 I don't have to use the default ones?

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
You're basically repeating what I said there at the end. But alright, so as long as it's gen 8 I don't have to use the default ones?
You need to use a char of the g8f FAMILY. It can be any char. The pose move the bones and they are all identical. But depending on the actual char, the bone length may be slightly different and the pose/anim may require tweaks.

EvasionYT

Jan 6, 2021
You need to use a char of the g8f FAMILY. It can be any char. The pose move the bones and they are all identical. But depending on the actual char, the bone length may be slightly different and the pose/anim may require tweaks.
And the males? If there's a female and male in the animation both of them have to be G8?

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
And the males? If there's a female and male in the animation both of them have to be G8?
Probably. There is no problem in theory to create an animation with a g8F and a g3M or Michael4, but nobody does that. Look at the animation description; it will state what are the requirements in terms of char family.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
EvasionYT Also, I don't want to discourage you, but Daz3d Studio's animation support is pretty difficult to work with.

I don't do much animation work myself, but I have read multiple threads where 3d artists coming from other programs (maya, blender) are very critical of Daz and point out some basic tools missing from Daz that make animations easier to create.

If you're only learning Daz basics (scene creation, posing, lighting, camera control), and trying to make full animated output at the same time, it's gonna be a tough road.

EvasionYT

Jan 6, 2021
EvasionYT Also, I don't want to discourage you, but Daz3d Studio's animation support is pretty difficult to work with.

I don't do much animation work myself, but I have read multiple threads where 3d artists coming from other programs (maya, blender) are very critical of Daz and point out some basic tools missing from Daz that make animations easier to create.

If you're only learning Daz basics (scene creation, posing, lighting, camera control), and trying to make full animated output at the same time, it's gonna be a tough road.
That's all good, won't bother me

Reactions: osanaiko
Apr 18, 2021

I wouldn't say it's difficult, it's just not very powerful. There are a lot of missing features like collision detection, curves, floor collision, decent pinning etc but it's pretty easy to get started with imo once you've got the hang of Daz.

Back on topic of GPU, I've ran Daz on a 3060, it was bearable but a 3080 is much better for serious projects. If you're just starting out a 3060 is fine unless you're trying to make an entire VN. Can't comment on the 3070. Can tell you though you would have a MUCH harder time converting everything to Blender and getting it to actually work and look good. It's difficult enough to the point where you would be better off just buying Nvidia.

10xRecoil

Aug 28, 2020
Back on topic of GPU, I've ran Daz on a 3060, it was bearable but a 3080 is much better for serious projects. If you're just starting out a 3060 is fine unless you're trying to make an entire VN. Can't comment on the 3070. Can tell you though you would have a MUCH harder time converting everything to Blender and getting it to actually work and look good. It's difficult enough to the point where you would be better off just buying Nvidia.
Doesn't the 12gb Vram of 3060 helps at all ?
You see I am looking to buy this 3060ti or 3070 card only because they have more cuda cores than 3060 otherwise that 12 gigs looks very appealing considering that the render process falls back to cpu when gpu lacks memory for a given scene.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Doesn't the 12gb Vram of 3060 helps at all ?
You see I am looking to buy this 3060ti or 3070 card only because they have more cuda cores than 3060 otherwise that 12 gigs looks very appealing considering that the render process falls back to cpu when gpu lacks memory for a given scene.
Yes, it helps *IF* you are making scenes with multiple characters (>4) in the foreground.

However, with 8GB (or even less!) you can still get excellent results with multiple characters in scene if you spend some time with "Scene Optimizer" which allows you to reduce the texture map resolution of individual assets. This is most useful for background scenery and characters who are not in the close foreground.

Many creators ship their assets with 4k resolution textures. This can look great in extreme closeup. But if the figure/object etc is only taking up a few 100 pixels in the background (and even then, out of focus because you are using depth of field) then the textures for those objects can be reduced dramatically with ZERO visual difference in the final render.

I'm of the opinion that once you are past a certain threshold of render performance (and 2070super/3060 is probably the level) then you are spending more time fighting the Daz user interface and snoozing while it take 1+ minutes to load scenes or add characters than you do waiting for renders. Especially if you are using an overnight render queue solution for your final renders.

• Red Heart
Reactions: 10xRecoil

10xRecoil

Aug 28, 2020
Yes, it helps *IF* you are making scenes with multiple characters (>4) in the foreground.

However, with 8GB (or even less!) you can still get excellent results with multiple characters in scene if you spend some time with "Scene Optimizer" which allows you to reduce the texture map resolution of individual assets. This is most useful for background scenery and characters who are not in the close foreground.

Many creators ship their assets with 4k resolution textures. This can look great in extreme closeup. But if the figure/object etc is only taking up a few 100 pixels in the background (and even then, out of focus because you are using depth of field) then the textures for those objects can be reduced dramatically with ZERO visual difference in the final render.

I'm of the opinion that once you are past a certain threshold of render performance (and 2070super/3060 is probably the level) then you are spending more time fighting the Daz user interface and snoozing while it take 1+ minutes to load scenes or add characters than you do waiting for renders. Especially if you are using an overnight render queue solution for your final renders.
Helped..thanks
Scene optimizer, camera viewer optimizer and then DOF, using these can greatly reduce consumption of vram and helps the render run in gpu. However, the need of a certain realism in characters skin itself(say subdivision level 3) and with all the 4k texture hair and a nice outfit really made my 4 gigs vram lacking. And dont even start with the lighting and the night scene.
The upgrade to 12 gigs would have been nice but if you say 8 gigs is good enough to get by with extra cuda cores in hand, then I am taking your word for it.

I rarely use the 4k textures of background so it makes no sense anyway. And I finally can get rid off using extensive photoshop, denoiser and what not

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I have a 3060ti, I seldom put four characters in a scene I have done more than once. I just keep the rest of the scene simple. I have just done 11 animations with three people and it was a walk in the park, once again I use every trick i can think of the background and lighting. I want simple scenes fast.

Reactions: 10xRecoil

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
I have a 3060ti, I seldom put four characters in a scene I have done more than once. I just keep the rest of the scene simple. I have just done 11 animations with three people and it was a walk in the park, once again I use every trick i can think of the background and lighting. I want simple scenes fast.
I also try to make fast renders, and mostly had fair success, but I screwed up when I made my main scene by making it complicated, and complexed. Good setup, but terribly texture heavy. It often kicks my 3080 off and then into CPU. Even with an 11Gen i9 renders go from normal 5 min to up to several hours. If DAZ had made it to where the Vram cheche cleared after renders that would be nice... I have made a few animation frames in as little as 45 min, but not within main setting. Those take hours :(

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
So out of curiosity, since ya'll are already kinda on the subject: What's the lowest spec GPU you guys could tolerate using? Would a GTX 3050 suffice, or could one even go lower to one of the 1660 series?

fyl3toys

Dec 24, 2021
I have a 2070 super and I'm able to put 6 people in a scene with props and an hdri no problem. It's when I load up a room to put those people in that I start to run into problems.

if you spend some time with "Scene Optimizer" which allows you to reduce the texture map resolution of individual assets. This is most useful for background scenery and characters who are not in the close foreground.
Which is why the above quote becomes very relevant.

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
Can someone explain why the clothes in this scene doesn't work anymore?

1656513550246.png

Some of these items are made for G3F, so I've imported them to G8F, which still works fine. When I last used this scene I altered the original clothing (fixed clipping, stuff like that), made sure they worked on a generic G8F and then saved the scene. When I did that, it looked like this (second picture) (different pose, but same outfit when it worked in another scene):

1656513757807.png

Now when I open the scene 2 days later, I get those weird gray boxes and none of the "previously G3F" wearables I saved work (except for one item , which makes it even weirder).

I haven't moved the files or anything like that, they just stopped working. How do I fix this, OR if it's not fixable: How do properly save these as their own G8F compatible wearables so I don't have a repeat of this?

NotSure142018

Jul 5, 2020
Is there any way to stop Daz from making tiny "icon" copies of every file it renders? It makes going through the renders folder annoying.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote