3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Is there any way to stop Daz from making tiny "icon" copies of every file it renders? It makes going through the renders folder annoying.
Unfortunately, no.

The icons are there to show in the asset browser (drill into "my library" / "scenes" to see them, if you are using the default save location).

If they really annoy you, it would be possible to setup a scheduled task with a batch/Powershell script to find and delete them daily or whatever.

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
Is there any way to stop Daz from making tiny "icon" copies of every file it renders? It makes going through the renders folder annoying.
Yes! You can!

"If you open the Render Library pane then you ca, from its option menu (the lined/hamburger button ot right-click the tab) open its directory manager and point it to a folder that is not used for images. If you use the save to folder option from your renders that will ensure that DS doesn't create any thumbnails (not that they will waste a lot of disc space if it does)."

I just added a folder and made sure it doesn't show up in the render directory manager as a render gallery (eg removed it from the list).

This is what it should look like (obviously not those names lol), the image path should show a folder icon, and not an image icon if you've done it right :)

1656842036649.png

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Can we get the character only png after rendering? also how to render the character with a white background?

It's simple:

For a white background (not sure why you'd need this if you have the transparent one already, but....) just set the Environment->backdrop->background-color to white.

Reactions: KingXeno07

NotSure142018

Jul 5, 2020
Yes! You can!

"If you open the Render Library pane then you ca, from its option menu (the lined/hamburger button ot right-click the tab) open its directory manager and point it to a folder that is not used for images. If you use the save to folder option from your renders that will ensure that DS doesn't create any thumbnails (not that they will waste a lot of disc space if it does)."

I just added a folder and made sure it doesn't show up in the render directory manager as a render gallery (eg removed it from the list).

This is what it should look like (obviously not those names lol), the image path should show a folder icon, and not an image icon if you've done it right :)

View attachment 1903771
That is fantastic, thank you very much!

I wanted them gone so I can easily view the renders in the folder, and it was really annoying to scroll through the stupid icon files as well.

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
Does anyone know of a way to add realistic heavy snowfall to trees? I have been using ultra scenery to create a forest. I initially tried to add a geometry shell to the needles/leaves of the trees. Didn't work out as the needles don't have seperate geometry and are actually squares with needle shaped opacity maps. Does anyone know of a way, or alternatively know of a decent snow covered tree asset?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Does anyone know of a way to add realistic heavy snowfall to trees? I have been using ultra scenery to create a forest. I initially tried to add a geometry shell to the needles/leaves of the trees. Didn't work out as the needles don't have seperate geometry and are actually squares with needle shaped opacity maps. Does anyone know of a way, or alternatively know of a decent snow covered tree asset?
Have you looked at this:

(I have not tried it myself.)

Given the "needles don't have seperate geometry and are actually squares with needle shaped opacity maps" thing, you probably won't have much luck with simulation products :(

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
Have you looked at this:

(I have not tried it myself.)

Given the "needles don't have seperate geometry and are actually squares with needle shaped opacity maps" thing, you probably won't have much luck with simulation products :(
Yep, tried it. It is a good asset, works great for building etc. The issue I am having is that the underlying geometry of the leaves on most trees are not leaf shaped, so adding geometry shells similar to this asset end up turning your leaves into square shapes.
Snow Trees.png

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
DogzBallz Is that an image after using the shader? if so, the trees look absolutely fine to me as long as you use it as a medium/long distance background. Especially if you use some subtle depth of field.

Once you replace the grass with some snowcover variant (maybe from the asset we discussed) it will look nice and wintery. Put your characters in the FG in focus, add some snowflake effects...

Reactions: DogzBallz

NotSure142018

Jul 5, 2020
Are there any decent laptops out there that will suffice for editing using DAZ? I don't need to render with it; I have a solid desktop for that. But I travel sometimes and it would be nice to work on things while on the road.

And if no specific recommendations, it would be nice to know what specs to prioritize for editing only. Does DAZ even use the graphics card while editing? Is more RAM more important than a faster processor? And so on.

Reactions: osanaiko

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
Are there any decent laptops out there that will suffice for editing using DAZ? I don't need to render with it; I have a solid desktop for that. But I travel sometimes and it would be nice to work on things while on the road.

And if no specific recommendations, it would be nice to know what specs to prioritize for editing only. Does DAZ even use the graphics card while editing? Is more RAM more important than a faster processor? And so on.
What I would look for is a the fastest single core clock speed, the more cores and threads the better and ram always helps.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
The higher-end the CPU, the better. Some of the newer Ryzen laptops might be worth a look, though Intel's offerings are just as good from a performance perspective. But they're worse in battery life and heat management (for the most part). Same for RAM, the more the better. I'd say no less than 32GB at 3200. Not really sure how well does works with DDR5 currently, but you'll get a better value for price going with a DDR4 system, though I may be wrong about that.

Of course, all of this depends on your budget and whether you can afford it. The secondhand market might be a valid option, as well. You can often get some very powerful hardware that's a year or two old at about half the retail price, you just have to know what to look for, as far as that goes.

compswo

Oct 16, 2021
Hey.

I'm on Daz 4.16 and just started having this issue. I don't really know how to explain it but before, whenever I'd load a character, the Iray would smooth out the skin really quickly and moving around the scene would work normally. Now, there's these yellow specs that appeared out of nowhere and they need to sort of settle for a little bit until the skin smooths out like before.

yellow specs - Copy.png

I've reinstalled Daz and made a new library with just the starter essentials but the issue still persists, regardless of G3 or G8. The arm in the picture is base G3F, default settings, out of the box Daz. This is happening mostly in Iray View. While they do start out out at first while actually rendering, they do go away once the image is finished.

Could it be something else? A faulty driver, some hardware issue?
Any idea on what the problem might be?
Thanks.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Hey.

I'm on Daz 4.16 and just started having this issue. I don't really know how to explain it but before, whenever I'd load a character, the Iray would smooth out the skin really quickly and moving around the scene would work normally. Now, there's these yellow specs that appeared out of nowhere and they need to sort of settle for a little bit until the skin smooths out like before.

View attachment 1915631

I've reinstalled Daz and made a new library with just the starter essentials but the issue still persists, regardless of G3 or G8. The arm in the picture is base G3F, default settings, out of the box Daz. This is happening mostly in Iray View. While they do start out out at first while actually rendering, they do go away once the image is finished.

Could it be something else? A faulty driver, some hardware issue?
Any idea on what the problem might be?
Thanks.
Not sure of the technical term for it, but I believe those would be called fireflies. Why you're just now seeing them? Couldn't say, but it's perfectly normal. Sometimes they'll even stick around once a render is finished, calling for a denoiser (don't use Daz's integrated one.). Could be any number of issues causing it, though. Have you tried a different dome/HDRI? Different model/figure? It could easily be a driver update that's changing how it's shown. Iray Preview, put simply, is using a bunch of hacks/cheats to show you a live estimation of what you'll likely see. Which is why some renders may turn out different than what the preview itself shows (which is rare, but it happens).

They're even in the render that I currently have going now.

fireflies.png

compswo

Oct 16, 2021
Not sure of the technical term for it, but I believe those would be called fireflies. Why you're just now seeing them? Couldn't say, but it's perfectly normal. Sometimes they'll even stick around once a render is finished, calling for a denoiser (don't use Daz's integrated one.). Could be any number of issues causing it, though. Have you tried a different dome/HDRI? Different model/figure? It could easily be a driver update that's changing how it's shown.
I thought fireflies were white?

Yeah, it's just started happening. Been using Daz for a couple of years and I've never seen it before.
It's happening regardless of light source, HDRI, domes, across every single G3 and G8 model, exclusively on the skin texture. They don't appear on other textures, like hair or objects.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I thought fireflies were white?

Yeah, it's just started happening. Been using Daz for a couple of years and I've never seen it before.
It's happening regardless of light source, HDRI, domes, across every single G3 and G8 model, exclusively on the skin texture. They don't appear on other textures, like hair or objects.
They are, generally. But can take on the color of the environment at times. Though, it's likely not it in this case. Maybe it's just general noise, but it could also be some sort of SSS issue or even something with the dome itself. Hard to say.

It's more on the basic side, but I've had something similar pop up when I've left on the headlamp on a camera accidentally (or not switching out from perspective view to camera), but that doesn't look to be it here. Are you on the public version of 4.16 (the final one before 4.20 where they temporarily fixed the ghost light issue, specifically.)? I'm assuming you're on the latest Nvidia Studio Drivers (not Game Drivers.). I'm also assuming that all three of the CPU boxes are unchecked in the Render Settings > Advanced page.

Running as closely as possible to your own in the previous post, I'm getting the same thing. Though, they go away rather quickly, but obviously that has more to do with the GPU than anything else (I'm on a 3080, for reference.). If it's going away just fine after letting it bake a bit, then it's probably nothing to worry about. My guess is probably just noise, all said and done. Just Nvidia (or Daz, as they have a tendency to do) doing some wonky shit with Iray.

Reactions: compswo

compswo

Oct 16, 2021
They are, generally. But can take on the color of the environment at times. Though, it's likely not it in this case. Maybe it's just general noise, but it could also be some sort of SSS issue or even something with the dome itself. Hard to say.

Running as closely as possible to your own in the previous post, I'm getting the same thing. Though, they go away rather quickly, but obviously that has more to do with the GPU than anything else (I'm on a 3080, for reference.). If it's going away just fine after letting it bake a bit, then it's probably nothing to worry about. My guess is probably just noise, all said and done.
Yes, every setting and whatnot and every box is checked/unchecked exactly the same way they were before, when this didn't happen. It was the first thing I checked. As for the Daz version, I first started getting it on 4.20 and I just decided it was time for a downgrade, along all the other issues they introduced. Obviously, that didn't help this issue in particular.

Just Nvidia (or Daz, as they have a tendency to do) doing some wonky shit with Iray.
If Daz had a movie poster, I wish this wasn't the most fitting tagline.

Anyway, looks like it's just the usual waiting game, until things magically fix themselves or become even wonkier.
I really appreciate the second opinion.
Thanks.

Reactions: MissFortune

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
DAZ: Best way to get Iray Uber Transparent Geoshells to look good over PBR Skin?

I'm gonna have to tackle this annoying ass issue eventually. Have any of you guys figured out how best to handle this?

Let's say you're using Genesis 8.1 using PBR skin shader. But you have a transparent Geoshell that's forced to use Iray uber shader; because PBR shader doesn't have cutout opacity. How do you get the Iray Uber Shader to look as good as possible over PBR skin? To me, it doesn't look good, but I have a VERY high standard of quality I'm aiming for.

IMO, DAZ should get cutout opacity working on PBR skin shader. It's fucking stupid that you can't make the skin transparent on PBR skin, WTF MAN. :WutFace:

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
DAZ: Best way to get Iray Uber Transparent Geoshells to look good over PBR Skin?

I'm gonna have to tackle this annoying ass issue eventually. Have any of you guys figured out how best to handle this?
You might get more accomplished by telling people what you're looking to do with the geoshell instead of writing a couple paragraphs about how bad it looks. Being vague isn't helping anyone. If it's a premade asset (bought from the Daz store or elsewhere) made for 8, then it probably won't work for 8.1. PBR, if I remember correctly, wasn't introduced until 8.1. It's like trying to stick the round peg in the square hole.

but I have a VERY high standard of quality I'm aiming for.
If this were true, you wouldn't be using Daz. You can get some amazing results from Daz, especially if you have a comprehensive understanding of lighting (see PhillyGames, lighting is basically at a cinematic level.), but it's a poor man's Blender for those too lazy to learn it. It can do a lot of things well-to-good, but if you're after a 'very high standard' of quality, you might want to take a look at Blender or SFM.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote