3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Mengal

Sep 11, 2018
Ah wow, 12 hours o_O

First, I would say 99% convergence is far too much, 95% work is enough in most cases. You can leave min sample at 5, as you enabled Rendering Quality, it will stop once you reached convergence or max time.

Now ~15000 iterations/23% convergence for 12 hours... I'm curious.

In what dimension do you render (looks like 1080? More?), the way you light a scene affect a lot the numbers of iterations you need before convergence. Did you try to remove all your lights and make a test with a simple HDRI or mesh light? Also what is that sphere/sphere2 in your lights group? Look suspicious :unsure:, could be what "blocks" the ray path.
Hi! I'm rendering at 1080p and the Spheres are Primitives with Emission shaders (I tried to make a lamp bulb) I used those Spheres as a main source of light, I saw someone put Primitive planes in front of widows to light the scene so I took that logic and applied it to Spheres for the ceiling light.

Btw, you thought 23% convergence in 12hrs was bad? check out this bad boy.

cool.jpg

The first thing to explain is that convergence is simply a measure of how many pixels are changing with each iteration. In many cases whilst many pixels may be changing, only slight variations in colour are resulting. The two main reasons for non-convergence are.

Competing light sources:
When you have more than 1 light source in a scene with similar intensity, the resultant pixel at the camera may either be from source A or B or C etc. Whilst these will give very similar results, they do not allow convergence. Also note that you can create a virtual light source by having a highly reflective surface close to the character (eg the white wall behind).

Scattering / refractive surfaces:
When you have scattering / refraction in a scene the light paths become more random, hence convergence does not really occur.

If you are rendering at the final resolution and you can't reach a suitable result within 1000 iterations, your lighting method needs rectification. Similarly if you are using down-sampling (eg render at 4k to create 1080p image) then it shouldn't take more than 200 iterations.

I would also note that chasing a certain convergence as dictated by Daz is a complete waste of time. You can leave rendering quality on, however you should be running with a maximum iterations set at a level. When doing your test render you should see a fairly good result within 20 iterations (noise, but you can clearly tell what it is). If this in not the case, then revise your lighting system.

3 Point Lighting is a good example of how to set up light sources.
- Primary Light - high intensity on one side of the characters face.
- Fill Light - lower intensity to give some lighting to portions of the characters face in shadow.
- Back Light - coloured highlight that is similar intensity to primary light, but 180 degrees different orientation.
With this system no light source competes with any other and hence the image converges quickly.
Thanks for the great in-depth explanation, I knew about the 3PL but I didn't know about the high and low intensity being so crucial for the render, thanks!

I haven't really looked into how scattering and refractive surfaces work so I don't really know what I'm doing wrong but I guess it has to do with surfaces that reflect light? (glas, mirrors, tv screens etc)

I think I know why the render time was so long, I used 2 primitive spheres as light source cause I wanted to try something I saw in a different render but I guess that emission light sources are bad, or I'm just overcomplicating things

I used the 3PL setup for the new renders and it took 11hrs each to get to 96% convergence.
It's a lot quicker and it looks better now but still 11hrs is a long time for a render imo.

I was also thinking that my pc might be to garbage to actually try this, I dunno what the specs are to get good looking renders in a decent amount of time.

GPU: GTX 970 4 G
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3.40 GHz (I know, it's trash)
RAM: 16 G

010102.jpg Celine010101.jpg

Keep forgetting that I'm also using Dome light (the light that's coming from the right side of the hall) Do I have to shut that off and use only the 3PL?

I also noticed another problem, if you make the renders full screen you will see some weird pixelation going down on her left cheek next to her ears, it's really small and only noticeable when full screen but I want to get rid of it.

Could that be because of those scattering and refractive surfaces you were talking about (I think its because of the reflexion from her earring cause the pixels are yellowish) I'm a bit confused on why theres a bit of pixelation happening on her eyes and eyelids, there is also some pixelation occurring on the right side of the painting.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I really appreciate your feedback!

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Hi! I'm rendering at 1080p and the Spheres are Primitives with Emission shaders (I tried to make a lamp bulb) I used those Spheres as a main source of light, I saw someone put Primitive planes in front of widows to light the scene so I took that logic and applied it to Spheres for the ceiling light.

View attachment 455416

Thanks for the great in-depth explanation, I knew about the 3PL but I didn't know about the high and low intensity being so crucial for the render, thanks!

I haven't really looked into how scattering and refractive surfaces work so I don't really know what I'm doing wrong but I guess it has to do with surfaces that reflect light? (glas, mirrors, tv screens etc)

I think I know why the render time was so long, I used 2 primitive spheres as light source cause I wanted to try something I saw in a different render but I guess that emission light sources are bad, or I'm just overcomplicating things

I used the 3PL setup for the new renders and it took 11hrs each to get to 96% convergence.
It's a lot quicker and it looks better now but still 11hrs is a long time for a render imo.

I was also thinking that my pc might be to garbage to actually try this, I dunno what the specs are to get good looking renders in a decent amount of time.

GPU: GTX 970 4 G
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3.40 GHz (I know, it's trash)
RAM: 16 G

View attachment 455438 View attachment 455439

Keep forgetting that I'm also using Dome light (the light that's coming from the right side of the hall) Do I have to shut that off and use only the 3PL?

I also noticed another problem, if you make the renders full screen you will see some weird pixelation going down on her left cheek next to her ears, it's really small and only noticeable when full screen but I want to get rid of it.

Could that be because of those scattering and refractive surfaces you were talking about (I think its because of the reflexion from her earring cause the pixels are yellowish) I'm a bit confused on why theres a bit of pixelation happening on her eyes and eyelids, there is also some pixelation occurring on the right side of the painting.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I really appreciate your feedback!
Firstly, there is nothing wrong with using emissives, provided they are used correctly. The biggest issue people have with them is that they are often in assets as small high intensity objects to simulate light bulbs. These end up being firefly generators as much as lighting the scene. I regularly use emissive spheres to light a scene, however they tend to be fairly large and with low intensity.

When you are lighting a scene, every light placed in the scene should have a direct result. To get a scene to render quickly you are always better with less rather than more lights. The scene is simpler and it takes less time per iteration and as there are not multiple light sources lighting each surface, it will require less iterations to converge.

With your modest hardware, I would suggest that you light scenes using HDRI's only. Interior scenes can be done via the use of the iRay Interior camera I mentioned earlier. The advantage of the HDRI is that not only do they render very rapidly, but you can also achieve colour variation all with one source. To show you an example of what is possible, please see the spoiler below.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

GrimCreeper3

Oct 21, 2017
How do you turn off these x,y,z points that show even when the item is not selected, cause they show no matter what
Z2yK0Yo.png

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Holy shit lol. There is something that gone definitely wrong, heck, I'm not even sure I could reproduce that kind of thing even with the worst condition on my old 1060. Also are you sure you scene didn't switch to CPU rendering?

For me, there is something that 'block' those iray paths, not sure what, and those sphere could be the perfect culprit but it's not 100% sure. You should remove every source of light, and test them one by one and found the problem, there is something somewhere that have gone terribly wrong. Also take an , and make a test with a "dome ony" scene to see if you have the same convergence problem.

Aug 30, 2019
So my G8F characters are all broken. I tried loading a G8F character and Daz got stuck on deleting objects and the program wouldn't respond. Tried the base G8F and that doesn't load either. G3 Male and Female and G8 Male all load. It was working the last time I used Daz (around a year ago now). I've tried uninstalling G8F starter essentials and reinstalling but that didn'tfix it.

I've attached my log file. It only includes the log for loading the G8F base. I see a lot of warnings but I can't really make much of it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment log.txt

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
So my G8F characters are all broken. I tried loading a G8F character and Daz got stuck on deleting objects and the program wouldn't respond. Tried the base G8F and that doesn't load either. G3 Male and Female and G8 Male all load. It was working the last time I used Daz (around a year ago now). I've tried uninstalling G8F starter essentials and reinstalling but that didn'tfix it.

I've attached my log file. It only includes the log for loading the G8F base. I see a lot of warnings but I can't really make much of it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 456960

My god those duplicate formula, are you kidding me lol.......o_O

1. install Daz manager tool
2. uninstall every gen8f morphs (you could give a try at the duplicate fix tho)
3. start Daz and load gen8f default char (zero position/any morphs if needed)
4. Save as > Support asset > Figure prop asset, close daz
5. reinstall morphs (but you really need a good cleaning)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019
My god those duplicate formula, are you kidding me lol.......o_O

1. install Daz manager tool
2. uninstall every gen8f morphs (you could give a try at the duplicate fix tho)
3. start Daz and load gen8f default char (zero position/any morphs if needed)
4. Save as > Support asset > Figure prop asset, close daz
5. reinstall morphs (but you really need a good cleaning)
Skyrim Modding syndrome. Install 200 mods in a night, play for 5 minutes, go to sleep. A year ago, I had a habit of just installing like a million characters that I liked the look of and then never using Daz again lmao. I'll give it a try, thanks.

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Guys i would like to try and make some prop on my own touse them in Daz 3d, but i never modeled anything. So my knoweldge here is practically zero. I don't know where to start or which is the most suitable modelling program to use with daz. Also i am aware that creating props form scratch is a difficult and impegnative task differently from just posing and rendering some premade stuff. In the end i need some help getting started, then when i'm ready i could start off with something simple like a table or a drawer. So once i am prtetty much confident with the basics i could switch off with something a lil more impegnative, but still easy like some simple jewelry like maybe a ring with a gem and stuff like this.

Aug 30, 2019
Guys i would like to try and make some prop on my own touse them in Daz 3d, but i never modeled anything. So my knoweldge here is practically zero. I don't know where to start or which is the most suitable modelling program to use with daz. Also i am aware that creating props form scratch is a difficult and impegnative task differently from just posing and rendering some premade stuff. In the end i need some help getting started, then when i'm ready i could start off with something simple like a table or a drawer. So once i am prtetty much confident with the basics i could switch off with something a lil more impegnative, but still easy like some simple jewelry like maybe a ring with a gem and stuff like this.
I recommend starting with Blender since it's free and has a lot of tutorials. I suggest starting off with series of tutorials as it'll teach how to use Blender and get started with core skills. As for getting them into Daz, I have no experience with that but maybe try SickleYield's tutorials.

Reactions: Xavster

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
I recommend starting with Blender since it's free and has a lot of tutorials. I suggest starting off with series of tutorials as it'll teach how to use Blender and get started with core skills. As for getting them into Daz, I have no experience with that but maybe try SickleYield's tutorials.
Thank you very, i will give it a look asap. Still my main objective is to create props that i can import in to daz 3d.

faibolx

Oct 18, 2019
Hi guys, I'm trying to use Golden Palace for the first time. I installed as it says on my Library for Daz as usual, but I'm getting this message and a square shape after following the tutorial file provided in the folder. Any idea about how to fix that? (I'm a mac user) thanks

cnwolf

Jan 1, 2018
anyone knows any free software to downscale a png image? from 4k to 1080p
and any free software to compress a png image? (would prefer png to png, but png to jpg is also ok)

there are plenty of sites that offer that service on there website but i would prefer a software which i can use offline

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
and any free software to compress a png image? (would prefer png to png, but png to jpg is also ok)

there are plenty of sites that offer that service on there website but i would prefer a software which i can use offline
Almost every image software can do downscale, even paint.
png compression sux. The files won't get much smaller in filesize and some devices (like android) can't handle compressed png's.
If you want smaller filesize go with jpg or webp. webp can be lossless like png's and compressed like .jpg. Personally I use IrfanView to batch compress, or photoshop for single files.

Reactions: cnwolf

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017

Easy and simple:

For the PC/MAC/Linux version I use WEBP compression with 95% quality; for the Android version I go down to 75%.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Easy and simple:

For the PC/MAC/Linux version I use WEBP compression with 95% quality; for the Android version I go down to 75%.
Uff 75%? That's heavy, even on a smaller display. I can see some quality loss at 90% on my android^^

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Uff 75%? That's heavy, even on a smaller display. I can see some quality loss at 90% on my android^^
Maybe, but my PC game occupies 3.3GB, lol... I've had to go down to 75% to reduce it to 1.9GB (apart, I've also lowered the video bitrate).... But there is no appreciable loss of quality :)

By the way, and with all due respect... I don't understand how anyone plays these games on Android :ROFLMAO:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Maybe, but my PC game occupies 3.3GB, lol... I've had to go down to 75% to reduce it to 1.9GB (apart, I've also lowered the video bitrate).... But there is no appreciable loss of quality :)

By the way, and with all due respect... I don't understand how anyone plays these games on Android :ROFLMAO:
My pc is always busy and I don't have (had) that much time, so I prefer to play short sessions on my android.
Many of the younger folks play these games on their phones only btw, so it's always a good idea to have an android version ;)

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018

Personally I use as it's free and also allow batch conversions. Also has ability to crop / adjust lighting etc. Also use the Google webp utility with a batch command file.

Reactions: redraw and cnwolf

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
My pc is always busy and I don't have (had) that much time, so I prefer to play short sessions on my android.
Many of the younger folks play these games on their phones only btw, so it's always a good idea to have an android version ;)
Yes, of course, it's essential to have an android version, even if it means a little more extra work o_O:p

I said it on a personal level, I prefer to play with a big screen :LOL:

Reactions: recreation

cnwolf

Jan 1, 2018
Hope someone can help me, its my first render.
(Not so important question: I tried many things on the genesis 8 female, so i dont know if put a wet look on that skin, if yes, how do i remove it? Or is that just this skin?)

Important question: how can i remove that "hair" on her forehead?

ps: please ignore the physical error that her left arm is in her breast :)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote