3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

SoliduX

Sep 17, 2017
Hi everyone, im a very noob in this section and i wish to make or at least try, do 3D comics like CrazyDad, PigKing, etc. My question is... Anyone knows what type of program i need to do this types of comics or renders? I really apreciated if anyone could help me, i really wish start doing this comics or images.

Sorry for my english xD

Thanks!

lordshimra

Mar 30, 2017

so i load g3 base. when i apply the iray skin it is extremely pale. not sure why. skin is greyish. i have not messed with any setting on the skin and the other skins from this same vendor work fine. i have reinstalled the asset to but it still comes out very pale to greysih. thanks

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017

so i load g3 base. when i apply the iray skin it is extremely pale. not sure why. skin is greyish. i have not messed with any setting on the skin and the other skins from this same vendor work fine. i have reinstalled the asset to but it still comes out very pale to greysih. thanks
Have you tried making a render?
Some materials look weird on scene but they look fine in a render, many shaders look weird on scene.
Also her skin seems pale as it is, but try to do a test render.

I was checking the materials folder and it seems like you need to follow more steps:
options.png

Apply all material options then add the iray shader, check the upper left corner in the image.

Last edited:

lordshimra

Mar 30, 2017
Have you tried making a render?
Some materials look weird on scene but they look fine in a render, many shaders look weird on scene.
Also her skin seems pale as it is, but try to do a test render.

I was checking the materials folder and it seems like you need to follow more steps:
View attachment 444588

Apply all material options then add the iray shader, check the upper left corner in the image.
yeah i was holding control then clicking but it was not doing anything. hjave to double click it. or maybe the first click was not registering for some reason. anyway sometimes having a second set of eyes look at it helps alot. thanks again

Reactions: 9thCrux

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
First, please be gentle this is literally my first render in my life. I installed DAZ and played around and created these three females which are an attempt at characters I have in a script with picture descriptions and prose I wrote in First Draft (have sold a screenplay so know this program very well but almost nothing about Renpy) as a rough outline of a 15-20 episode story over time. These are 3 of 6 interest characters that are younger, with an additional 2 "stepfamily" characters and 3 older characters as other possible interests. (total of 11 fleshed out female characters with backstories, narratives, dialogues, etc.) I did a 4k test render and followed kind of closely some settings I read on this site from Dr Pinkcake for rendering but then I used the program called Scene Optimizer. This is the first run at it, and I have some minor questions being a total newbie to this in general about this picture and things in general.

1) I see the middle girl skirt and tie doesn't look right, I am assuming this is from the downgrade from using the Scene Optimizer program? Or did I somehow screw something else up?
2) What (or how did they get there) are the little lines on the middle and right girl's foreheads? Is that also from this process?
3) What is a good default type of lighting program that a lot of people would recommend to play with in testing? I have done some minor interior design as a partner in another business so I have at least some basic concepts of good lighting in interiors from a design perspective, but no clue on art/rendering as of yet.
4) Is Photoshop the main program to use to kind of clean up/shrink down a high res photo to say 1080? I haven't used this program either like Daz, but would take the time to learn for sure. I have read some posts on this site already that have been helpful there, but are there other good programs to try?
5) The actual girls - this is only my first try but I tried to get them close to my physical descriptions but I know I can't see so well a male's internal perceptions of females so well so any first impressions are helpful from that perspective. I probably am caring about things that many men might not at all and by extension might be making obvious mistakes that any man might catch quickly in a way I can't at all. I am a complete newbie so I don't mind any criticism as my attitude in this arena is one of humility and understanding I am basically ignorant of even a lot of basics. (which is almost never the case with my very strong personality if you ever met me in person!) Thank you!

Reactions: Nomec104

Shadow Fiend

May 21, 2018
First, please be gentle this is literally my first render in my life. I installed DAZ and played around and created these three females which are an attempt at characters I have in a script with picture descriptions and prose I wrote in First Draft (have sold a screenplay so know this program very well but almost nothing about Renpy) as a rough outline of a 15-20 episode story over time. These are 3 of 6 interest characters that are younger, with an additional 2 "stepfamily" characters and 3 older characters as other possible interests. (total of 11 fleshed out female characters with backstories, narratives, dialogues, etc.) I did a 4k test render and followed kind of closely some settings I read on this site from Dr Pinkcake for rendering but then I used the program called Scene Optimizer. This is the first run at it, and I have some minor questions being a total newbie to this in general about this picture and things in general.

1) I see the middle girl skirt and tie doesn't look right, I am assuming this is from the downgrade from using the Scene Optimizer program? Or did I somehow screw something else up?
2) What (or how did they get there) are the little lines on the middle and right girl's foreheads? Is that also from this process?
3) What is a good default type of lighting program that a lot of people would recommend to play with in testing? I have done some minor interior design as a partner in another business so I have at least some basic concepts of good lighting in interiors from a design perspective, but no clue on art/rendering as of yet.
4) Is Photoshop the main program to use to kind of clean up/shrink down a high res photo to say 1080? I haven't used this program either like Daz, but would take the time to learn for sure. I have read some posts on this site already that have been helpful there, but are there other good programs to try?
5) The actual girls - this is only my first try but I tried to get them close to my physical descriptions but I know I can't see so well a male's internal perceptions of females so well so any first impressions are helpful from that perspective. I probably am caring about things that many men might not at all and by extension might be making obvious mistakes that any man might catch quickly in a way I can't at all. I am a complete newbie so I don't mind any criticism as my attitude in this arena is one of humility and understanding I am basically ignorant of even a lot of basics. (which is almost never the case with my very strong personality if you ever met me in person!) Thank you!
For hair you need to add smooth modifier on hair select hair>Edit>Object>Add Smoothing modifier then go to parameter tab & play with collusion iteration setting in mesh smoothing hierarchy basically higher value at least that worked for me i don't know how others do it.
This is your first render it will take some time & practice to get good at not like you will be giving renders like pink right away.
Yes Photoshop is mostly used for editing renders.
For ren-py first prioritize rendering then jump to it, again you will find many tutorial online.
There are several tutorial on yt to follow along here is the best channel so far i found on yt

Good Luck.

Reactions: TessSadist

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017

So here i try to give you a bit of help with what little knoweledge i have:

1) The middle girl Skirt and tie doesn't look right cause because they are too glossy/reflective, the downsampling have nothing to do with this. So try to play around with those sliders in the surface tab: Glossyness, Reflective, metallicity and metal flake.

2)The lines on their forheads again aren't caused by downsampling but by the hair cap. Try to mess around in the parameter tab to get it inside the figure head (usually i scale it's sze from 100% to 99/98 %

3) sorry but here i have difficulties myself and as you said you know the basic concepts of what is a good lightining i wont mind a little help here :giggle:

4)I personally use Gimp which is free and have a tons of plugins for your needs

5)They are gorgeous and well proportioned at least IMO, so don't know what you mean with this. Maybe we should see their personality and how they interact between them since in there might arise some difference in perception between male and female. But aside from that everything looks good to me

Reactions: TessSadist

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018

Nomec is on point with most of the advice here. Adding a couple of things:
2) Usually found that you need to increase the scale slightly rather than reduce.
3) For interior lighting you have 2 main options:
a) Use emissives and be very patient as you wait for the large number of iteration in order to get it to converge.
b) Use a HDRI and . If you set it up right it will render in about 1/10th the time.
4) Use GIMP also. Steep learning curve, however it is free.
5) The biggest thing you can do to improve the realism of a character is the quality of the skin texture. It's the little flaws in the skin that make it look realistic.

The tutorials I have written for this site may be of assistance to you. They are linked in my sig. Best of luck.

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
So here i try to give you a bit of help with what little knoweledge i have:

1) The middle girl Skirt and tie doesn't look right cause because they are too glossy/reflective, the downsampling have nothing to do with this. So try to play around with those sliders in the surface tab: Glossyness, Reflective, metallicity and metal flake.

2)The lines on their forheads again aren't caused by downsampling but by the hair cap. Try to mess around in the parameter tab to get it inside the figure head (usually i scale it's sze from 100% to 99/98 %

3) sorry but here i have difficulties myself and as you said you know the basic concepts of what is a good lightining i wont mind a little help here :giggle:

4)I personally use Gimp which is free and have a tons of plugins for your needs

5)They are gorgeous and well proportioned at least IMO, so don't know what you mean with this. Maybe we should see their personality and how they interact between them since in there might arise some difference in perception between male and female. But aside from that everything looks good to me
Thank you! I already learned so much just from this post and was able to fix everything quickly. That Caprice haircut is vexing but I managed to make it slightly larger to work out. I don't have a lot of assets yet so just working with what I have so far. I will give Gimp a look and for the girls I really just wanted to know if men would want to see them naked :)

Reactions: Nomec104

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Thank you! I already learned so much just from this post and was able to fix everything quickly. That Caprice haircut is vexing but I managed to make it slightly larger to work out. I don't have a lot of assets yet so just working with what I have so far. I will give Gimp a look and for the girls I really just wanted to know if men would want to see them naked :)
Is that sarcasm??:LOL: Ofcourse we want to see these gorgeous creatures in their integrity with nothing that could taint the perfection and sweetness of their bodies. ;)

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
Nomec is on point with most of the advice here. Adding a couple of things:
2) Usually found that you need to increase the scale slightly rather than reduce.
3) For interior lighting you have 2 main options:
a) Use emissives and be very patient as you wait for the large number of iteration in order to get it to converge.
b) Use a HDRI and . If you set it up right it will render in about 1/10th the time.
4) Use GIMP also. Steep learning curve, however it is free.
5) The biggest thing you can do to improve the realism of a character is the quality of the skin texture. It's the little flaws in the skin that make it look realistic.

The tutorials I have written for this site may be of assistance to you. They are linked in my sig. Best of luck.
That camera looks like a wonderful asset thank you so much for the link! I got that first picture to render pretty fast - especially compared to how long it took at first - after Scene Optimizer so am definitely curious how this will help as well. I am also definitely concerned about especially older characters looking too perfect and/or glossy with their skin so this is on my learning list so to speak in exploring this program.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
That camera looks like a wonderful asset thank you so much for the link! I got that first picture to render pretty fast - especially compared to how long it took at first - after Scene Optimizer so am definitely curious how this will help as well. I am also definitely concerned about especially older characters looking too perfect and/or glossy with their skin so this is on my learning list so to speak in exploring this program.
Scene Optimiser is fairly good at increasing rending speed for scenes where the characters are at a reasonable distance (at least a couple meters away). For close-ups you will see the loss in texture quality. Scene Optimiser works by giving you the ability to quickly remove bump and normal maps and also reduce the texture resolution. This greatly reduces RAM required, which if reduced to a point will allow the whole scene to be stored on your graphics card.

There are very few character assets with good textures. Also often artists will use the same texture and apply different settings to another character. I have found that Skin Builder 8 can improve the realism of other artists skins by adding these imperfections (eg veins, freckles). Some people use Z-Brush and create their own skins, however I have never been inclined to do so myself. I do however do things like create customised tattoos by directly editing the texture maps using Gimp.

Interior iRay Camera is best used when coupled with a lighting asset such as . This creates a HDRI that looks like the lighting of an interior scene. The iRay camera itself lights the internal scene by dragging the exterior HDRI within the interior of the room. It can sometimes give odd results when the light planes that allow the camera to function, clip on a wall / floor. Also note that you can use depth of field / frame width etc with the Interior iRay Camera, even though it looks like that it is locked.

There are a multitude of methods and settings that can be applied to create an image. The main thing is to experiment and find the method / settings that suites your needs.

Last edited:

cnwolf

Jan 1, 2018
I hope someone can help a daz3d newbie. I downloaded this asset: https://f95zone.to/threads/magda-for-genesis-3-f.20819/ and its just a zip file with 4 folders: data, Documentation, People, Runtime
So i just put the files into "My DAZ 3D Library" but they don't show up on the Studio. Did i do it wrong or don't search right?

I also tried creating a zip File with the Content Package Assist and put it into the Downloads folder in Daz Install Manager, i was able to install it with it, but they still dont show up.

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
I hope someone can help a daz3d newbie. I downloaded this asset: https://f95zone.to/threads/magda-for-genesis-3-f.20819/ and its just a zip file with 4 folders: data, Documentation, People, Runtime
So i just put the files into "My DAZ 3D Library" but they don't show up on the Studio. Did i do it wrong or don't search right?

I also tried creating a zip File with the Content Package Assist and put it into the Downloads folder in Daz Install Manager, i was able to install it with it, but they still dont show up.
I advice you to install all the non DIM content on a diffirent folder and then use the content DB maintenance to add the path of said folder.
After this you can use the content library to just browse all your assets

Here is a tutorial:
https://f95zone.to/threads/how-to-install-content-to-daz-w-w-o-install-manager.6045/

Reactions: cnwolf

cnwolf

Jan 1, 2018
I advice you to install all the non DIM content on a diffirent folder and then use the content DB maintenance to add the path of said folder.
After this you can use the content library to just browse all your assets

Here is a tutorial:
https://f95zone.to/threads/how-to-install-content-to-daz-w-w-o-install-manager.6045/
Thanks for the tip with installing it on a different folder, but i'm just lost atm

I created the zip file with the Content Package Assist:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And installed it with the Install Manager:

But it still doesn't show up in the Studio... I'm probably doing something wrong but i don't know what

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Thanks for the tip with installing it on a different folder, but i'm just lost atm

I created the zip file with the Content Package Assist:
And installed it with the Install Manager:

But it still doesn't show up in the Studio... I'm probably doing something wrong but i don't know what
Because this assets is not DIM compatible so you have to install it manually

Mengal

Sep 11, 2018
Hi Everyone!

I'm having some trouble with optimizing my render, it takes way to long for the kind of image I'm rendering, I also looked on YouTube for some answers but that really did not help me. I will just show you the image and maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or what can be improved. Thank you for your time!

whyyyyyyyyyy.jpg

The Image I'm rendering.

u do disssssss.jpg

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Hi Everyone!

I'm having some trouble with optimizing my render, it takes way to long for the kind of image I'm rendering, I also looked on YouTube for some answers but that really did not help me. I will just show you the image and maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or what can be improved. Thank you for your time!

Ah wow, 12 hours o_O

First, I would say 99% convergence is far too much, 95% work is enough in most cases. You can leave min sample at 5, as you enabled Rendering Quality, it will stop once you reached convergence or max time.

Now ~15000 iterations/23% convergence for 12 hours... I'm curious.

In what dimension do you render (looks like 1080? More?), the way you light a scene affect a lot the numbers of iterations you need before convergence. Did you try to remove all your lights and make a test with a simple HDRI or mesh light? Also what is that sphere/sphere2 in your lights group? Look suspicious :unsure:, could be what "blocks" the ray path.

Reactions: Mengal and rKnight

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Where are you looking for it? It will not show up in Smart Content even if you used Content Package Assist. For me it shows up in the Content Library under Products/M.

Reactions: cnwolf

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Hi Everyone!

View attachment 453045

The Image I'm rendering.

View attachment 453043
The first thing to explain is that convergence is simply a measure of how many pixels are changing with each iteration. In many cases whilst many pixels may be changing, only slight variations in colour are resulting. The two main reasons for non-convergence are.

Competing light sources:
When you have more than 1 light source in a scene with similar intensity, the resultant pixel at the camera may either be from source A or B or C etc. Whilst these will give very similar results, they do not allow convergence. Also note that you can create a virtual light source by having a highly reflective surface close to the character (eg the white wall behind).

Scattering / refractive surfaces:
When you have scattering / refraction in a scene the light paths become more random, hence convergence does not really occur.

If you are rendering at the final resolution and you can't reach a suitable result within 1000 iterations, your lighting method needs rectification. Similarly if you are using down-sampling (eg render at 4k to create 1080p image) then it shouldn't take more than 200 iterations.

I would also note that chasing a certain convergence as dictated by Daz is a complete waste of time. You can leave rendering quality on, however you should be running with a maximum iterations set at a level. When doing your test render you should see a fairly good result within 20 iterations (noise, but you can clearly tell what it is). If this in not the case, then revise your lighting system.

3 Point Lighting is a good example of how to set up light sources.
- Primary Light - high intensity on one side of the characters face.
- Fill Light - lower intensity to give some lighting to portions of the characters face in shadow.
- Back Light - coloured highlight that is similar intensity to primary light, but 180 degrees different orientation.
With this system no light source competes with any other and hence the image converges quickly.

• Love
Reactions: Mengal
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote