3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Well I have my animation (image series) rendering and am having some serious problems with the rendering speed in Daz 4.12. I have a fairly simple scene with HDRI lighting and am rendering at 4k. When rending the first image in the series it takes ~3 minutes, however with each successive frame it gets slower and slower. By about the 5 frame it's out to 30 mins. Updated my video card drivers and am currently downloading the latest 4.12 beta. If anyone as seen this before and has any ideas on how to fix, I would appreciate.

Scene Processing Details:
Resolution - 4k
Iterations - 40
Video Card Memory - 4.8 of 6.0 GB
System RAM - 10 of 32 GB
Running a GTX1060
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

EDIT: I think the problem may be video card memory related, hence have run scene optimiser to simplify some of the textures and remove some of the bump maps. The amount of video memory appears to be still however increasing very slightly with each successive frame until it reaches the point at which the textures can't be stored on the video card and then the rendering speed dramatically reduces.
4.8 gb vram for this simple scene is a lot! Not to say way to much. Let me guess, you use g8?
If you have other assets in the background, remove them completely. The wall in the background is far enough away to remove all, but the base color maps, if there are any. The ground looks like it could be compressed further without loosing too much quality.
G8 has a lot of unnecessary textures you only really notice in closeups:
If there's a map in any of the "Glossy" channels, remove it, same for "Top Coat" and "Metalic Flakes".
The clothes can be compressed further, you won't see many details after denoize anyway.
You could try the camera mentioned in this thread. I've used something similar a few times. It obviously changes the light a little bit in some scenes because it uses iray section planes, but it's not really noticable and worth it most of the time.

If this still isn't enough, you could try the batch render that was mentioned here several times (the one that restarts Daz).
aaand if nothing helps, render the background without the girls one time and then the animation with the girls with only the blue.... thing on the ground (I don't know how it's called in english^^).

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
4.8 gb vram for this simple scene is a lot! Not to say way to much. Let me guess, you use g8?
If you have other assets in the background, remove them completely. The wall in the background is far enough away to remove all, but the base color maps, if there are any. The ground looks like it could be compressed further without loosing too much quality.
G8 has a lot of unnecessary textures you only really notice in closeups:
If there's a map in any of the "Glossy" channels, remove it, same for "Top Coat" and "Metalic Flakes".
The clothes can be compressed further, you won't see many details after denoize anyway.
You could try the camera mentioned in this thread. I've used something similar a few times. It obviously changes the light a little bit in some scenes because it uses iray section planes, but it's not really noticable and worth it most of the time.

If this still isn't enough, you could try the batch render that was mentioned here several times (the one that restarts Daz).
aaand if nothing helps, render the background without the girls one time and then the animation with the girls with only the blue.... thing on the ground (I don't know how it's called in english^^).
Yep using G8, however have now removed everything that isn't in the line of sight and reduced / removed some of the textures. With these adjustments the memory now being used is just below the capacity of the graphics card and successive frames are rendering at the same speed. Despite having increased the iterations to 50 per frame it has completed 15 frames in the last 47 mins, so I think it is sweet now.

What I would note is that when going from frame to frame it seems to be reloading textures, however memory usage changes from 4.6GB to 3.0GB and then back to 4.6GB. I'm guessing is that only a portion of the textures are being reloaded, however it may also be the source of the issue.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Yep using G8, however have now removed everything that isn't in the line of sight and reduced / removed some of the textures. With these adjustments the memory now being used is just below the capacity of the graphics card and successive frames are rendering at the same speed. Despite having increased the iterations to 50 per frame it has completed 15 frames in the last 47 mins, so I think it is sweet now.

What I would note is that when going from frame to frame it seems to be reloading textures, however memory usage changes from 4.6GB to 3.0GB and then back to 4.6GB. I'm guessing is that only a portion of the textures are being reloaded, however it may also be the source of the issue.
True, the textures are getting reloaded, and not only that, they're added to the vram stack sometimes. I'm still not sure why or when this happens, since it only happens sometimes, but I guess that's exactly what happened to you here.

Reactions: Xavster

Amelia_Stein

Nov 28, 2019
Hello all,

I have a question regarding Futalicious v3. When I try to put a texture on the Shell, I get the following message.
1574970875291.png
I thought maybe Dicktator would fix it because it says that in the path. I installed it, same message.
Then I thought Texture Wizard might fix it, I installed it, tried to figure out how it works... same message. I even installed everything manually.
I mean, the texture changes when I load it, so something gets loaded, but the skin on the penis does look kinda... dull, so I guess something really is missing.
Futalicious 0.3 BBC Test.png
Does anyone know what I must do to fix this?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Hello all,

I have a question regarding Futalicious v3. When I try to put a texture on the Shell, I get the following message.
View attachment 473052
I thought maybe Dicktator would fix it because it says that in the path. I installed it, same message.
Then I thought Texture Wizard might fix it, I installed it, tried to figure out how it works... same message. I even installed everything manually.
I mean, the texture changes when I load it, so something gets loaded, but the skin on the penis does look kinda... dull, so I guess something really is missing.
View attachment 473055
Does anyone know what I must do to fix this?
Did you install the latest version of Dicktator (v0.3)?

You might also need this:

Or this:

Or this:

Last edited:

Amelia_Stein

Nov 28, 2019
Did you install the latest version of Dicktator (v0.3)?

You might also need this:

Or this:

Or this:
Thanks for the fast response! Do you really think I need these three files for G3F if I try to get Futalicious v3 to work on G8F? (forgot to mention that, sorry)

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Thanks for the fast response! Do you really think I need these three files for G3F if I try to get Futalicious v3 to work on G8F? (forgot to mention that, sorry)
You're welcome.

Well, the route of your screenshot seems to point to those assets... if you look there are routes of g3m and g3f.
My advice, try it first and if you really need it buy it later.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Hello all,

View attachment 473052
... snipped ...
It's also possible you've not installed it quite exactly correctly, i know that I sometimes make mistakes when installing non-DIM stuff. You could do a disk file search under your root content folder and look for the specific files mentioned in the error, then if found, copy back into the folders in the error mesages.

Or alternatively, the specific combination of skins/mats whatever you've selected are ones that are not correct in the "official" package - maybe the author is not a fan of tranny BBC like you are :LOL: and didn't test those combinations.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
True, the textures are getting reloaded, and not only that, they're added to the vram stack sometimes. I'm still not sure why or when this happens, since it only happens sometimes, but I guess that's exactly what happened to you here.
Yep, there's definitely something not quite right with the way the GPU memory is used by Daz / or maybe a problem with Iray or the Nvidia drivers themselves. If you stare at the task manager gpu performance tab, you can see that after a render and then quitting Daz sometimes it takes 15-60 seconds for the GPU memory usage to fall back to the baseline. And if you try switching scenes or changing textures, sometimes you can run out of GPU memory and fallback to CPU, but if you restart daz and wait for the memory to go back to baseline, then the new scene will render on the GPU fine.
This is the reason why some of the batch render tools restart Daz AND have a configurable delay before restart that can be setup between scenes. Sadly this doesn't help much if you are rendering an animation. In that case, your only paths are either get a card with more vidram, or simplify the scene (optimise textures, remove the secondary maps that only make a real difference for closeup like normal, bump)

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Octane have recently release a new free plugin for Daz which I have been playing around with today. For the most part this has gone well, with the exception of saving the materials settings on G8F figures. Given the different rendering engine, I find it necessary to tweak the materials by changing settings such as lowering the bump map power. Unfortunately these changes do not appear to be saving when I save the scene for later use. Any assistance, such that I don't have to re-tweak the materials every time I open the file, would be appreciated.

PS: I have figured out how to save individual materials, however reapplying them when I open the scene is also a pain the the butt.

Edit: Following the post above, I have kinda found a cheat method, which is to modify the original Daz surface settings. As The Octane plugin seems to handle the surface mixing in the same way, if I change the ingredients I can change the final result. Not an ideal solution though.

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Octane have recently release a new free plugin for Daz which I have been playing around with today. For the most part this has gone well, with the exception of saving the materials settings on G8F figures. Given the different rendering engine, I find it necessary to tweak the materials by changing settings such as lowering the bump map power. Unfortunately these changes do not appear to be saving when I save the scene for later use. Any assistance, such that I don't have to re-tweak the materials every time I open the file, would be appreciated.

PS: I have figured out how to save individual materials, however reapplying them when I open the scene is also a pain the the butt.

Edit: Following the post above, I have kinda found a cheat method, which is to modify the original Daz surface settings. As The Octane plugin seems to handle the surface mixing in the same way, if I change the ingredients I can change the final result. Not an ideal solution though.
Your "cheat" is actually the correct way^^
You can save the stuff you changed in the surface settings as material presets as well, or simply save the whole scene in that state, make scene subsets for different things like the characters with changed surfaces, so that you can load them with the correct settings for octane for new scenes.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Your "cheat" is actually the correct way^^
You can save the stuff you changed in the surface settings as material presets as well, or simply save the whole scene in that state, make scene subsets for different things like the characters with changed surfaces, so that you can load them with the correct settings for octane for new scenes.
As a quick clarification, when you are referring to saving surface settings you are referring to the modified Daz settings, I presume?

This technique will work fine for my characters with the exception of one, that being Lia. She is based off the Zelara 8 model and has emissive skin surfaces. Whilst I can modify the node graph to create this emission within the Octane plugin and can also save these modified surfaces as an orbx file, I can not get it to stick the character. Hence when I re-open the file, I have to import and re-assign each surface or have to redo the texture emission modification. Is there any way of saving this against the character?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
As a quick clarification, when you are referring to saving surface settings you are referring to the modified Daz settings, I presume?

This technique will work fine for my characters with the exception of one, that being Lia. She is based off the Zelara 8 model and has emissive skin surfaces. Whilst I can modify the node graph to create this emission within the Octane plugin and can also save these modified surfaces as an orbx file, I can not get it to stick the character. Hence when I re-open the file, I have to import and re-assign each surface or have to redo the texture emission modification. Is there any way of saving this against the character?
First of all I have to say that this level is more advanced than I usually work, lol o_O
But I'm always trying to help :p

Maybe this reference will help you:

On the other hand, there was a utility, I think it's called Baker LIE, which is used to "attach" materials directly to the character... although I don't think this is what to look for; I think my first reference can be of more help to you.

Thickgravy49

Jul 24, 2017
I would like to use some of TruForms 3d assets(from Renderosity) in my renders.
It's states in the documentation that many of these are compatible with Daz Studio, but the only one I've been able to use so far is the Model of the limo.

I can see the files in the folder, but they don't show when I run Daz Studio.

I was just hoping that one of our resident Daz experts could please help me with this.

Apologies for my ignorance and thank you for your time.:)

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
It's states in the documentation that many of these are compatible with Daz Studio, but the only one I've been able to use so far is the Model of the limo.

I was just hoping that one of our resident Daz experts could please help me with this.

Where exactly are you looking for them? I don't have any TruForm assets so can't give you a definitive answer. But as long as they are DAZ assets then you need to look in the Content Library, not Smart Content. Have never seen a Renderosity product with the metadata required for Smart Content. In the Content Library look under Products and then the first letter of the product, then it would be listed alphabetically.

If they are actually Poser products that can just be used in DAZ, then look under the Poser Formats in the Content Library.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018

most of them have .obj file which can be imported in Daz (file -> import). You'll most likely have to add textures though, and maybe rescale it.

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019

Unless I'm too wrong, truforms come in Poser format native. You'd need to add a "Poser Format" library in your content tab, in order to see them. Textures, the basic diffuse, bump, specular and any normal/displacement maps will load, but you'd still need to fix the shaders, or everything will default in "plastic" shader profiling

TrainerOcara

Nov 7, 2019
Hi folks. Apologies in advance if this is a newbie question, but I'm very much a newbie at this.

I'm toying with hameleon's , using the associated .

The pose pack includes poses for a G3/V7 figure, and any relevant furniture in the living room for the scene. I can apply those easily enough, and things move around/reposition just fine.

But some of the poses rely on the furniture being contorted - cushions squashed, etc. I can't see how to apply those effects, which results in some nasty clipping issues.

Any ideas what I'm missing? Is there some prerequisite I don't have installed? I don't receive any 'resource not found' messages.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Hi folks. Apologies in advance if this is a newbie question, but I'm very much a newbie at this.

I'm toying with hameleon's , using the associated .

The pose pack includes poses for a G3/V7 figure, and any relevant furniture in the living room for the scene. I can apply those easily enough, and things move around/reposition just fine.

But some of the poses rely on the furniture being contorted - cushions squashed, etc. I can't see how to apply those effects, which results in some nasty clipping issues.

Any ideas what I'm missing? Is there some prerequisite I don't have installed? I don't receive any 'resource not found' messages.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I had a quick look at the description and it seems that the furniture has morphs, so I guess you need to use them to get the desired effect (this is actually a really nice feature). You can find them somewhere in your parameters tab when you select the props.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote