3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Is there an easy way in Daz to see how much memory a scene takes up?

My understanding is that gpu's are far faster at rendering a scene than the cpu, but if the scene size you're trying to render is bigger than the memory size on the gpu (8gb in my case), then you can't use the gpu.
Not that I am aware of. When the scene starts rendering, the geometry and material memory consumption are listed in the Daz information box. However in reality the scene uses roughly 2 times the sum of these numbers. To keep an eye on how it is going I also sometimes open task manager to keep an eye on GPU memory.

If you want to drive the scene back into GPU rendering you need to simplify geometry / materials in the scene. Geomoetry can be simplified by reducing the Render SubD Level of the objects. Easiest was to reduce the materials memory consumption is via the use of Scene Optimizer.

Managing the memory requirements of a scene is one of the more painful aspects of Daz.

Reactions: tanrgith

Fateful

Aug 3, 2017
You appear to have 2 instances of NGV8 applied to the character. Delete the current NGV8's applied in the scene tab and then apply a new one by selecting the G8F character and hitting the 'New Geniralia For Victoria 8'. This should automatically utilise the character torso map to apply the correct surface to the genitals. Should you change the torso genital map, you just need to select the G8F model and then hit the 'Update The Materials Of New Gens'.

The second instance of the NGV8 is applied from utilizing the second script as instructed from the expansions .pdf
ngv82.JPG

However, using this one is what seems to apply the new surface 'genitalia' to the base model, as seen in my original picture.
Strangely once I use this as well, I'm left with no choice but to reload the scene, as the surface is applied to any new character added into the scene.
NGV84.JPG

Using the original NGV8 pack:
ngv83.JPG

Will apply the standard NGV8 which will use original maps for the torso, but it does not update to the new maps as generated from the expansion.
In fact the base NGV8 does not use the same maps as generated by the expansion.
This is the surface for the original:
ngv85.JPG and this is the map generated by the expansion: GensMapD.jpg
As you can see, the original is using the base torso map and the expansion has generated a map for the genitalia surface which is being added by the expansions script.

The closest to 'working' I've had the expansion is if I apply the base NGV8, delete that except the Effect/Color Layer, and use the scripts "01 - Apply NGV8 to current character" it will yield this: ngv86.JPG
Which doesn't face the torso issue, but now results in the actual genitalia not keeping their maps; any further tinkering with UV maps, etc. will result in the original issue of this: ngv87.JPG

I am not sure why but for me the only script that works in the expansion is the map generation.
The wet effect seemingly has no change either, as this is using Shape 7 with Blood as the fluid:
ngv8weteffect.JPG As you can see, there is no moisture / fluid visible where there should be.

I would reinstall it again, but that just seems like insanity given the amount of times I've already attempted that. :confused:
Edit: Sure enough out of desperation I attempted a complete reinstall of the NGV8 product + expansion. Sadly nothing has changed.

Last edited:

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
The second instance of the NGV8 is applied from utilizing the second script as instructed from the expansions .pdf
View attachment 610889

However, using this one is what seems to apply the new surface 'genitalia' to the base model, as seen in my original picture.
Strangely once I use this as well, I'm left with no choice but to reload the scene, as the surface is applied to any new character added into the scene.
View attachment 610893

Using the original NGV8 pack:
View attachment 610891

Will apply the standard NGV8 which will use original maps for the torso, but it does not update to the new maps as generated from the expansion.
In fact the base NGV8 does not use the same maps as generated by the expansion.
This is the surface for the original:
View attachment 610898 and this is the map generated by the expansion: View attachment 610899
As you can see, the original is using the base torso map and the expansion has generated a map for the genitalia surface which is being added by the expansions script.

The closest to 'working' I've had the expansion is if I apply the base NGV8, delete that except the Effect/Color Layer, and use the scripts "01 - Apply NGV8 to current character" it will yield this: View attachment 610900
Which doesn't face the torso issue, but now results in the actual genitalia not keeping their maps; any further tinkering with UV maps, etc. will result in the original issue of this: View attachment 610908

I am not sure why but for me the only script that works in the expansion is the map generation.
The wet effect seemingly has no change either, as this is using Shape 7 with Blood as the fluid:
View attachment 610915 As you can see, there is no moisture / fluid visible where there should be.

I would reinstall it again, but that just seems like insanity given the amount of times I've already attempted that. :confused:
Edit: Sure enough out of desperation I attempted a complete reinstall of the NGV8 product + expansion. Sadly nothing has changed.
I didn't know that you were using the expansion pack for NGV8. Essentially you want to use either the base NGV8 OR the Expansion pack. To use the expansion pack to get the fluid options you want, do the following:
  1. Ensure that no NGV8 is applied to the character.
  2. Select the G8F character and hit 00 - Customize etc (if you have not already done so)
  3. Keeping the G8F character selected hit 01 - Apply NGV8 etc
  4. Keeping the G8F characer selected hit 02 - Wet effect etc
  5. Pick the effect you desire.
Hopefully you will get something similar to the below.
NGV8.jpg

The issue you are having is that one NGV8 is interfering with the other.

Reactions: Tokoy and Fateful

Fateful

Aug 3, 2017
I didn't know that you were using the expansion pack for NGV8. Essentially you want to use either the base NGV8 OR the Expansion pack. To use the expansion pack to get the fluid options you want, do the following:
  1. Ensure that no NGV8 is applied to the character.
  2. Select the G8F character and hit 00 - Customize etc (if you have not already done so)
  3. Keeping the G8F character selected hit 01 - Apply NGV8 etc
  4. Keeping the G8F characer selected hit 02 - Wet effect etc
  5. Pick the effect you desire.
Hopefully you will get something similar to the below.

The issue you are having is that one NGV8 is interfering with the other.
Thank you for the continued support. Unfortunately I am still faced with the displaced texture issue.
Following those steps exactly, for me results in this:
ngv8displaced.JPG

For whatever reason the texture map appears to be applying to the wrong locations of the surface. This is using the character SASE Zinna, but I will try again with the base Victoria 8 - however it has previously yielded the same results.

Tried again with Victoria 8 and still had the same result:
V8.JPG

Last edited:

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Thank you for the continued support. Unfortunately I am still faced with the displaced texture issue.
Following those steps exactly, for me results in this:
View attachment 611033

For whatever reason the texture map appears to be applying to the wrong locations of the surface. This is using the character SASE Zinna, but I will try again with the base Victoria 8 - however it has previously yielded the same results.

Tried again with Victoria 8 and still had the same result:
View attachment 611047
The only thing I can think of at this point, is to check your Vertical Offsets (should be 0) and Vertical Tiling (should be 1) in the surfaces tab. You need to check 3 places.
  1. G8F - Genitalia (suspect this is the problem one)
  2. NGV8 - Anus
  3. NGV8 - Genitalia

Reactions: Fateful

Fateful

Aug 3, 2017
The only thing I can think of at this point, is to check your Vertical Offsets (should be 0) and Vertical Tiling (should be 1) in the surfaces tab. You need to check 3 places.
  1. G8F - Genitalia (suspect this is the problem one)
  2. NGV8 - Anus
  3. NGV8 - Genitalia
I checked and all three surfaces are set correctly, however when I fiddled around with them, I found that by setting the vertical offset to -0.5 the texture aligned slightly better than it was initially. Oddly there are some seams on the skin, along with areas of negative (black) space.
I can't really think of any reason as to why this is happening, or why it's isolated to this expansion pack. Surely if there was something else wrong then it would be affecting other textures, etc.

ngv8offset.JPG
Am I missing an update to Genesis 8 characters that adds a genitalia surface as standard? That seems to be the only variable which when changed has an impact, as like I said the characters do not have that surface until I run the script; afterwards all characters suddenly have that surface added too, even without having NGV8 added to them.

Since you have the expansion too, could you upload one of your GensMapD from
My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures\3feetwolf\NewGenitaliaForVictoria8\ExpansionPack\Textures
That way I can see if there is a difference between what yours is generating versus mine.

Alternatively, I can provide you with mine and see if you get the same result?

Last edited:

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Think there is something else going on, however please find map as attached. The one below is for base G8F model. Tested and works fine in my render.

Reactions: Fateful

Fateful

Aug 3, 2017
Think there is something else going on, however please find map as attached. The one below is for base G8F model. Tested and works fine in my render.
Sadly that didn't work either, but I appreciate you taking the time to try.
I did find it interesting though that your one is 3840x3840 whereas mine is making 4096x4096, but I think that could be due to the forum compression.

HFSTime

Jul 13, 2019
If anyone is versed in Marvelous Designer and Daz I was wondering if someone may have an answer for this.

So I'm using this tutorial ( ) to create a morph for an outfit so it fits one of my characters better. Admittedly the tut was created in MD6 and I'm using MD9 but so far most of the steps line up. It's just when I get to the point of getting the morph applied and trying to use it I get something really weird...

1586206568318.png

For some reason the outfit gets lowered like it was part of the morph. Problem I used this character as the avatar in MD and nothing changed with her. The dress is fitted to her so I have no clue what's going on. So far I've only found one reference to something similar in the Daz forums. And supposedly it was fixed by reinstalling Daz and MD (which really isn't an answer to me).

Any ideas?

ddeadbeat

Bewbie
Game Developer
Mar 30, 2018
Can't figure out how to link one character's body part to another character's body part. For example, one character's hand is touching other's character's chest. I want those two body parts to be locked together, so whenever first character moves his other body parts, his hand (and only his hand) stays in the same place. And when second character is moving his body parts, if his chest is moving, first character's hand (and other body parts if needed) will move along.
I tried to make character's chest to become "parent" to another character's hand, but it doesn't work right. If I move first character, his hand doesn't "stick" to second character's chest. And when I move second character, first character just moves along as a whole stone sculpture.

Could someone help me out with that?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Can't figure out how to link one character's body part to another character's body part. For example, one character's hand is touching other's character's chest. I want those two body parts to be locked together, so whenever first character moves his other body parts, his hand (and only his hand) stays in the same place. And when second character is moving his body parts, if his chest is moving, first character's hand (and other body parts if needed) will move along.
I tried to make character's chest to become "parent" to another character's hand, but it doesn't work right. If I move first character, his hand doesn't "stick" to second character's chest. And when I move second character, first character just moves along as a whole stone sculpture.

Could someone help me out with that?

Reactions: ddeadbeat

DoomedForever

Jul 16, 2018
I don't know what happened but out of nowhere the "Material copy" Breastacular script stopped working on most of my edited characters. It still allows me to apply the graft to the character but when I double click the script to copy the materials to the white graft with the G8F model selected the only thing that happens is the G8F gets de-selected in the Scene Tab, nothing else happens. If I try it on an "out of the box" original character from an asset it works fine but if I do it on most of my saved characters that I've been editing (ie combining different morphs with a texture from different assets) the script doesn't work even though it used to work on those characters a few days ago. It doesn't work on 90% of my edited characters although I've been unable to find anything distinctive that separates the ones that work from the ones that don't. None of them are using any other shell/graft add-on either and I've tried reinstalling Breastacular to no avail. Has anyone come across this?

ddeadbeat

Bewbie
Game Developer
Mar 30, 2018
Okay, I replied before trying it myself lol. I'm sure it's the right direction, but I guess I need to do something opposite of what's going on the video. I'll be more specific this time.
The girl puts her hands on guy's chest, her hands (not whole arms, only hands) must stay still. And then I would like to move her, change her other body parts poses, so that her arms would move along, except for her hands.

maybe it's something like in this example, where you "lock" feet position and move other leg parts. Looks like it's way more difficult than I thought it would be. The hand just doesn't want to be locked in one place!

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Okay, I replied before trying it myself lol. I'm sure it's the right direction, but I guess I need to do something opposite of what's going on the video. I'll be more specific this time.
The girl puts her hands on guy's chest, her hands (not whole arms, only hands) must stay still. And then I would like to move her, change her other body parts poses, so that her arms would move along, except for her hands.
Hmm just use active pose tool and pin the hand?

Reactions: ddeadbeat

tanrgith

Mar 16, 2020
Anyone have experience using dforce hair, specifically dforce hair from ?

I've been messing around with a few of those hairstyles, but it seems pretty time consuming and complex compared to non-dforce hairstyles.

Like, it seems everytime you change the pose of a character, that you then have to simulate the hair so it falls naturally around the character. Simulation time which for me is taking a pretty damn long time every time.

There are some shaping presets for the hairstyles, but those also seem to intend you to run a simulation on the hair

Am I missing something? Or is there a way to greatly speed up dforce hair simulation time?

Last edited:

Shadow Fiend

May 21, 2018
Anyone have experience using dforce hair, specifically dforce hair from ?

I've been messing around with a few of those hairstyles, but it seems pretty time consuming and complex compared to non-dforce hairstyles.

Like, it seems everytime you change the pose of a character, that you then have to simulate the hair so it falls naturally around the character. Simulation time which for me is taking a pretty damn long time every time.

There are some preset appearances for the hairstyles, but those also seem to intend you to run a simulation on the hair

Am I missing something? Or is there a way to greatly speed up dforce hair simulation time?
you can increase the gravity in simulation setting just disable limit & make gravity to 5 or 6 it will simulate faster once you find appropriate result just cancel the simulation or it will look bad you can clear the simulation by clicking clear button do you have any specific hair? if i have the hair i can check what best setting to simulate it.

Last edited:

tanrgith

Mar 16, 2020
you can increase the gravity in simulation setting just disable limit & make gravity to 5 or 6 it will simulate faster once you find appropriate result just cancel the simulation or it will look bad you can clear the simulation by clicking clear button do you have any specific hair? if i have the hair i can check what best setting to simulate it.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try the gravity adjustment and cancelling the simulation before completion.

Currently I have these 3

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote