3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Here is my problem. From some time my PC keeps freezing just before the render actually appears on screen.
I can't do anything. Not even move my mouse. What is even more strange, scens that I used to render in the past keeps freezing my PC now.
It could be lot of things.

Look if your system can handle CPU fallback, I ve seen weird case in forums where Windows couldn't handle it for some reason and freeze. When hitting render, ctrl+alt+sup and take a close look at how you RAM is filled. If it freezes at the moment your RAM is full, it could also means you run out of .

Also, when you load a g8f, or the base model you re working with, ctrl+alt+sup and look at how much a single model cost you in RAM. The more morphs you installed for that model, even unused ones, will be loaded in RAM. I think at one moment, without managing them, I went to absurd level like nearly 8Go of RAM alone for a g8f model. (IIRC a reinstall won't delete them).

Could be also a driver failure, if you're using the lastest Daz3D public build (4.12.2.6) be sure your driver are at least 442.19 or newer (not sure about the minimum for the official build).

So I took a glance of the surface tab and notice that the shader products don't rewrite everything so I probably have residuals from all the switching. Does this make sense or I am just seeing things that's not there? If so, if I use the original Materials preset will that reset everything, or I will still have residuals?
You will still have residuals. There is no real standard with hair shading - most artist having their own take on it. For exemple OOT hair shader use different base mixing with different layers than the classic Iray-uber shader. If you apply a basic Iray shader to OOT hair, you will have weird result and residuals (it's the same for eyes at a lesser extend).

Last edited:
Reactions: 31971207

Xqwzts

Oct 8, 2017
Look if your system can handle CPU fallback, I ve seen weird case in forums where Windows couldn't handle it for some reason and freeze. When hitting render, ctrl+alt+sup and take a close look at how you RAM is filled. If it freezes at the moment your RAM is full, it could also means you run out of .
Soo I checked how much RAM is used by DAZ and I don't even start render. Its just 1 G8 with texture shaded view.

And this is how it looks like

1590055822612.png

I guess it isn't normal? My Windows Language is PL but I think you can clearly understand what is happening here.

EDIT: and of course freezes happens only with DAZ. And my temperatures are perfectly fine on GPU and CPU. Forgot to tell about this.

Feb 3, 2020
You will still have residuals. There is no real standard with hair shading - most artist having their own take on it. For exemple OOT hair shader use different base mixing with different layers than the classic Iray-uber shader. If you apply a basic Iray shader to OOT hair, you will have weird result and residuals (it's the same for eyes at a lesser extend).
[/QUOTE]

What is the correct workflow for using Daz3D hair shaders? I want the characters to use hairs from different artists but staying with the same texture scheme. Thanks

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I guess it isn't normal? My Windows Language is PL but I think you can clearly understand what is happening here.
14Go of RAM for a single model is for sure not normal, quite critical to say at least :HideThePain:.

My guess (I could be wrong), it that's you installed shit-tons of morphs and now you don't have enough RAM for Daz to render properly. Go to your \My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\ folder and look at how many giga-octets you have in there. You can move the morphs you don't use on another folder outside your library, load a g8f model on an empty scene (you will get errors), and save as>support assets>Save modified asset (no more errors).

What is the correct workflow for using Daz3D hair shaders? I want the characters to use hairs from different artists but staying with the same texture scheme. Thanks
Far I know, there is no real "correct" workflow as 2 differents hair mesh can be made with completely different textures and shader layer in mind. I generally tweak from the shader that comes with the hair and modifiy color in the shader and/or directly edit the texture with photoshop if I have to. I also try with different "general" hair shader like the or one with various results, from crap to correct. It's a lot of back and forth. But maybe people have found better solution?

Last edited:

Feb 3, 2020
Far I know, there is no real "correct" workflow as 2 differents hair mesh can be made with completely different textures and shader layer in mind. I generally tweak from the shader that comes with the hair and modifiy color in the shader and/or directly edit the texture with photoshop if I have to. I also try with different "general" hair shader like the or one with various results, from crap to correct. It's a lot of back and forth. But maybe people have found better solution?
[/QUOTE]

I've been playing with general shaders like OOT, Colorwerks, Backlight and Hair Luster. I stopped using OOT as it's for older hairs I think. I only use Gen8 hairs. The base color previews of Colorwerks is close to useless. There is a ton of almost identical looking colors and the render looks nothing like them. It's by the same author as UHT so I don't know what changed (UHT is too dried for my liking). People seem to love it and it's a Daz Original so maybe I am using it wrong. I've better luck with Backlight and Hair Luster, but with all the clicking around I could not get consistent looks from them likely due to residuals from Colorwerks or the original hair materials.

Xqwzts

Oct 8, 2017
14Go of RAM for a single model is for sure not normal, quite critical to say at least :HideThePain:.

My guess (I could be wrong), it that's you installed shit-tons of morphs and now you don't have enough RAM for Daz to render properly. Go to your \My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\ folder and look at how many giga-octets you have in there. You can move the morphs you don't use on another folder outside your library, load a g8f model on an empty scene (you will get errors), and save as>support assets>Save modified asset (no more errors).

Umm so I'm very confused when it comes to DAZ files location but here what I found:
User Documents\DAZ3D\Studio\My Library\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female - 4,45MB
Public Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female - 2,97GB

Is this a lot? I have to admit that whole DAZ 3D with all assets occupies something around 200GB on my SSD. =P

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Umm so I'm very confused when it comes to DAZ files location but here what I found:
User Documents\DAZ3D\Studio\My Library\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female - 4,45MB
Public Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female - 2,97GB

Is this a lot? I have to admit that whole DAZ 3D with all assets occupies something around 200GB on my SSD. =P
A lot? No I think I'm around ~15Go of morphs for ~1,2To of assets :whistle:. But I never enable them except when I'm creating new characters. I only load the ones used by my current characters + few ones I find useful. That way I keep my RAM usage/loading time very low.

A whole scene with 2x g8f, 1x g8m :

zzzzzzpng.png

But yeah if you're already short on RAM, those extra 2,97 Go can be problematic.

Problem is Daz3D have no moprhs gestion so I use Daz3D manager tool to manage morphs.

What you can do is creating a new folder like this :

-> Public Documents\My DAZ 3D REMOVED MORPHS\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female

Open the Manager tool and setup like this :

tsNvehlkC4.png

Now go on the deactivate tab, click 'Morphs' & 'Import'. Do some cleaning and deactivate everything you found useless. Do it properly because you can deactivate vital fonction such as autofit feature (clone) or basic bones rotation. In case of doubt don't deactivate. (That said the software can't delete anything, it just move morphs from one folder to another. You can reactivate quickly on the activate tab if mistake were made).

Once cleaning done, load a g8f model on an empty scene (you will get errors), and Save As>Support assets>Save modified asset.

Now you can now also enable/disable your deactivated moprhs via Daz content manager.

-> open Daz3D, edit, preference, content, Content Directory Manager
-> click on Daz Studio Format, Add, and you link to your "Public Documents\My DAZ 3D REMOVED MORPHS\" folder.
-> Or remove your "Public Documents\My DAZ 3D REMOVED MORPHS\" folder if you don't need it anymore

[just "Public Documents\My DAZ 3D REMOVED MORPHS\", NOT "Public Documents\My DAZ 3D REMOVED MORPHS\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female"]

YhKDKi918O.png

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
I've been trying to create an Orc character using the She-Orc assets and Golden Palace, but for some reason the labia isn't adjusting properly; it ends up looking like this.
Problem.jpg

The labia is green and pink (and no amount of adjusting it using Texture Wizard seems to change how it looks). Any idea what's going on here?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I've been trying to create an Orc character using the She-Orc assets and Golden Palace, but for some reason the labia isn't adjusting properly; it ends up looking like this.
View attachment 666818

The labia is green and pink (and no amount of adjusting it using Texture Wizard seems to change how it looks). Any idea what's going on here?
haven't seen this before, but it looks like the underlying surface is pushing through the outer surface :unsure:

Reactions: Yonamous

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
haven't seen this before, but it looks like the underlying surface is pushing through the outer surface :unsure:
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Was hoping someone knows what it is before I go hunting for the problem as that might take a long while to detect what is doing it.

Godwin88

Jan 16, 2020
Guys a little help, I just dived into Daz3d and just started getting hang of figures and posing but I am stuck at couples poses presets I downloaded, whenever I use it both my models assume the same pose, I am doing something wrong but honestly don't know what.

Pls help.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
View attachment 666818

if i understand correctly, the Genitalia add ons are implemented with a "geograft". This is an additional set of geometry that have some points "grafted" to specific vertexes on the parent. To match skin texture, there's normally a script that copies like a part of the parent object torso surface material, then applies a LIE to have specific shading.

Do the pink vs green parts change or "flicker" depending on the camera distance? This would indicate "z-fighting", suggesting there's two sets of geometry in the same place. Is is possible you added the genitalia twice somehow? and one is poking though? or perhaps you've scaled the genitalia so the underlying body geometry is visible on some of the... wrinkles ;).

Another thought is that some genitalia have geoshells to add a wetness/shiny surface layer - have you applied anything like that?

Reactions: Yonamous

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
if i understand correctly, the Genitalia add ons are implemented with a "geograft". This is an additional set of geometry that have some points "grafted" to specific vertexes on the parent. To match skin texture, there's normally a script that copies like a part of the parent object torso surface material, then applies a LIE to have specific shading.

Do the pink vs green parts change or "flicker" depending on the camera distance? This would indicate "z-fighting", suggesting there's two sets of geometry in the same place. Is is possible you added the genitalia twice somehow? and one is poking though? or perhaps you've scaled the genitalia so the underlying body geometry is visible on some of the... wrinkles ;).

Another thought is that some genitalia have geoshells to add a wetness/shiny surface layer - have you applied anything like that?
Single Geoshell, no wetness and no flicker.

I've narrowed it down to something to do with the characters surface textures. I've given the Orc Character a different skin, and the genitalia looks fine with that skin; so it's not the geometry of the character. Now I just need to find out where the problem in the surface textures is.

Worse comes to worst I can just use a different skin texture and then the Fantasy Skin editor to make the skin green, but the She-Orc skin comes with some details that I really like that I wouldn't get with the Skin editor.

Reactions: osanaiko

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Guys a little help, I just dived into Daz3d and just started getting hang of figures and posing but I am stuck at couples poses presets I downloaded, whenever I use it both my models assume the same pose, I am doing something wrong but honestly don't know what.

Pls help.
Not much for us to go on so I'll just point out that each pose is for a single person. Sometimes the pose icon may show two figures but they are usually different colours. You'll need to find the same pose with the colours reversed and use each pose once for the appropriate character.

Godwin88

Jan 16, 2020
Not much for us to go on so I'll just point out that each pose is for a single person. Sometimes the pose icon may show two figures but they are usually different colours. You'll need to find the same pose with the colours reversed and use each pose once for the appropriate character.
Thanks will try it out and see.

8mes

Aug 24, 2016
Single Geoshell, no wetness and no flicker.

I've narrowed it down to something to do with the characters surface textures. I've given the Orc Character a different skin, and the genitalia looks fine with that skin; so it's not the geometry of the character. Now I just need to find out where the problem in the surface textures is.

Worse comes to worst I can just use a different skin texture and then the Fantasy Skin editor to make the skin green, but the She-Orc skin comes with some details that I really like that I wouldn't get with the Skin editor.
Does the Orc have a displacement map? That can poke through a geoshell.

Xqwzts

Oct 8, 2017
A lot? No I think I'm around ~15Go of morphs for ~1,2To of assets :whistle:. But I never enable them except when I'm creating new characters. I only load the ones used by my current characters + few ones I find useful. That way I keep my RAM usage/loading time very low.

A whole scene with 2x g8f, 1x g8m :

View attachment 666429

But yeah if you're already short on RAM, those extra 2,97 Go can be problematic.

Problem is Daz3D have no moprhs gestion so I use Daz3D manager tool to manage morphs.

What you can do is creating a new folder like this :

-> Public Documents\My DAZ 3D REMOVED MORPHS\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female

Open the Manager tool and setup like this :

View attachment 666443

Now go on the deactivate tab, click 'Morphs' & 'Import'. Do some cleaning and deactivate everything you found useless. Do it properly because you can deactivate vital fonction such as autofit feature (clone) or basic bones rotation. In case of doubt don't deactivate. (That said the software can't delete anything, it just move morphs from one folder to another. You can reactivate quickly on the activate tab if mistake were made).

Once cleaning done, load a g8f model on an empty scene (you will get errors), and Save As>Support assets>Save modified asset.

Now you can now also enable/disable your deactivated moprhs via Daz content manager.

-> open Daz3D, edit, preference, content, Content Directory Manager
-> click on Daz Studio Format, Add, and you link to your "Public Documents\My DAZ 3D REMOVED MORPHS\" folder.
-> Or remove your "Public Documents\My DAZ 3D REMOVED MORPHS\" folder if you don't need it anymore

[just "Public Documents\My DAZ 3D REMOVED MORPHS\", NOT "Public Documents\My DAZ 3D REMOVED MORPHS\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female"]

View attachment 666472
I wanted to send you priv message but unfortunately I can't soo... I want to thank you for your help here!
When I'll have some free time I'll try your advice. It looks like there is a lot more clever and helpful ppl around here then on DAZ forum. =D

Oct 9, 2018
hey guys, I got some genesis 8 boots, but I really want to fit them to my character. When I press fit to... it uploads perfectly aligned to her feet, but then no matter what option I choose, it stops being aligned. Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Oct 9, 2018
also does anyone know any premade sex poses for daz horse 2 and genesis 8 female or especially daz dog 2 and genesis 8 female? I can do it myself but I would rather not

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote