Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
That's assuming the Girls and the MC remain in the house. It could very well end with the MC returning to his world or joining one of the girls in their world. So it might not be the 64 potential endings, but it's possible it could far more work than layering images for a slide show.
No, I'm not assuming that. I'm assuming that each of the 64 potential combinations of girls wouldn't need to be in a completely different location, which I think is a reasonable assumption. A potential harem ending could be remaining in the house (which is my preferred ending, it's true) but it could also be back on Earth, or it could be in Dun Eideann, or anywhere else for that matter.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
It's not all that difficult to do if you're smart about it. Every single combination doesn't need to be unique, after all. Chunk up the ending and make it modular and it shouldn't be a huge problem. For example, intro telling how the MC and the girls that stayed live together, with a layered image showing the group. Then a montage of small scenes showing MC with Rae, MC with Lyriel, etc. filtering out girls who didn't stay. Add some scenes with two of the girls who had a particularly strong relationship with each other into the mix. Then cap it off with another group shot. There's your ending. It's work, sure but not 64 times as much work.
That certainly is true. Not least because quite a few games (not only adult ones) have done such an approach. But, and this might be a personal preference only, I tend to notice that if I am playing for multiple endings, and find it a bit grating if too much is in parallel. Of course this is a RenPy game, so we can always skip the part we had already seen, but the endings will lack that individual touch that I'd like, since a lot would need to be generic.

Granted, people who will only want their one perfect ending with, say, Rae, El, and Yona won't notice that it shares 80% of its content with the Cait, El, and Naomi ending, with a further 15% being just some words and graphics exchanged, and presumably even of those going for different endings won't systematically try all 64 - or even 20. So if you combine individual endings for the six girls and one big happy harem and then make "modular builds" for 2, 3, 4, 5 girl endings would still be within the realms of feasibility. I just think the impact would be less for those which are just bonus, but indeed for somebody who wants something specific it may be worth it.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Granted, people who will only want their one perfect ending with, say, Rae, El, and Yona won't notice that it shares 80% of its content with the Cait, El, and Naomi ending, with a further 15% being just some words and graphics exchanged,
I read an interesting article discussing the " ", as a narrative mechanic, for a game.
A section of the article directly relates to the point you've made.

They propose that, in a game with multiple paths, the dev has to do X x the amount of work & it will mostly only be seen by the % of the player base who are following that specific path.
Which obviously creates a lot more work, for limited audience consumption.
If you have 10 unique paths & 10% of the playerbase is on each, that's 90% of the stuff the dev's written, not being seen by 90% of the players.

Even with hardcore fans, who are following each route on a separate save, they still generally amount to a relatively small % of the total player numbers.
It's much more efficient & cost-effective to have scenes shared by all paths.

Real choice & unique paths are exponentially complex.
Mass Effect 3 writer said this about it:
“Imagine that you have to write a scene where one potentially dead character talks to another potentially dead character about an event that might have happened, or might have not.”
:eek::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Cartageno

McGreed

Apr 17, 2019
Are you on Android 12?
Nope, 11.
I googled this problem, found a few solutions, repeat easy steps from videos and here we go, everything is working as it should be. But some guys said that its enough to keep trying installing and sooner or later you will succeed.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I read an interesting article discussing the " ", as a narrative mechanic, for a game.
A section of the article directly relates to the point you've made.

They propose that, in a game with multiple paths, the dev has to do X x the amount of work & it will mostly only be seen by the % of the player base who are following that specific path.
Which obviously creates a lot more work, for limited audience consumption.
If you have 10 unique paths & 10% of the playerbase is on each, that's 90% of the stuff the dev's written, not being seen by 90% of the players.

Even with hardcore fans, who are following each route on a separate save, they still generally amount to a relatively small % of the total player numbers.
It's much more efficient & cost-effective to have scenes shared by all paths.

Real choice & unique paths are exponentially complex.
Mass Effect 3 writer said this about it:
“Imagine that you have to write a scene where one potentially dead character talks to another potentially dead character about an event that might have happened, or might have not.”
:eek::ROFLMAO:
That certainly is true. However, as an experienced F95 user I am only talking about my personal experience because that is the only one that matters ;)

And personally, while I am a completionist of sorts, I don't care about paths I don't like (uninteresting LI, "evil" path with an LI who in my eyes doesn't deserve it) and don't care if content is left in the background this way - but I will notice a jigsaw ending if I revisit it. I am not talking as much about one like in "STWA: The Author" (or for more common knowledge: "Fallout New Vegas") where you get slides for every character and they will repeat if you did not follow their route, but one which has a "three LI ending" and it will be the same structure, just names, and maybe a few renders, exchanged no matter whether it's the Rae, Naomi, El set or Blair, Yona, Cait. In other words, endings which do not accomodate the individual setup. Probably already a bit off and/or generic even if you only saw one instance.

But in the end, I absolutely see the point you are making, and it is optional compared with my idea, and you can ignore optional stuff. But you'd have to know to ignore it first. Anyway, as I said, only my side matters, not the dev's - but they will say only their side matters, not mine, and I know who will draw the shorter straw here ;)

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
If 90% of what the game contains is unseen & unplayed by 90% of the players, the dev\studio can accurately propose that it's a waste of time & money making that 90%.
Which 90% is that though? If everyone each plays a different 10%, how do you decide what to cut?

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Which 90% is that though? If everyone each plays a different 10%, how do you decide what to cut?
Well, I said that if there are 10 paths & 10% of the playerbase is on each, that would leave 90% of players not seeing the other paths.
I just did that, for ease of use.
I'd expect the actual numbers for particular routes would be a considerably higher proportion, I presume you'd want to cut the ones with the lowest numbers.

What I'm saying is not about retrospectively cutting content, it's more about why devs\studios might not want to spend the time, effort & cost in developing 10 uniquely different paths in the first place.
You know which is cheaper, easier & more efficient: 1 scene used for all 10 paths changing the participants as relevant, or 10 unique scenes for each of the 10 paths.
That's why I thought the illusion of choice article was relevant.

If the devs can make it feel like your choices matter (even if they lead you to the same outcome), but they do not actually increase the complexity of development (because it's the same outcome), then everyone's a winner.
IMO The Last of Us did it really well, a linear game that made you feel like your decisions really matter, despite being "on rails".
Cyberpunk did it really poorly, with 98% of in-game choices having no effect on anything but you knew it, so the majority of choices didn't feel important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cartageno

Halbyn

Dec 8, 2021
I dont know if the dev reads this post, def gotta support this game, but partly kinda wish there was a ghost in the house lol Some lil scares but whole-sum ofc. Maybe even has ties with our imp here .. would give Yona something to do as well given her mention about spirit worlds.
If we're making a wish list, I want to have more 'choose your own adventure' style bits with Spear fighting.
For instance, what if we have an episode to rescue Naomis crew from Blackbeard.
Steal back her ship and earn the gratitude of the Pirate Wenches and their Captain.

Reactions: BanditoMarito

sombrajesus

Aug 10, 2022
Hi everyone. I'm stuck at Chapter 9 on Rae's main quest and Chapter 5 on Eager Student (Cait). For Rae, I'm supposed to have a late-night date and for Cait, she needs a pair of glasses. Does anyone know how to progress these quests? I pretty much finished Cait's main quest at this point

Telathas

Jan 21, 2018
Are you required to progress through the orc's story? Just started doing her dream stuff and honestly I'm not too interested in the character. Just wanna know if she gates some of the other character's stories.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Are you required to progress through the orc's story? Just started doing her dream stuff and honestly I'm not too interested in the character. Just wanna know if she gates some of the other character's stories.
You have to do anything that's classed as 'Main Story' (no colour stripe in the hint book). You don't have to do anything that's specific to her story. That means getting her to the house, but after that you can ignore her if you don't like her.

Fred689

Jan 11, 2022
Can someone tell me how long the game (playing hours) is till the last chapter?
Almost finished another AVN and have some other games to start, but would prefer to start a new game
with some reasonable playing time ;)
Tnx

brymont92

Jun 12, 2017
Can someone tell me how long the game (playing hours) is till the last chapter?
Almost finished another AVN and have some other games to start, but would prefer to start a new game
with some reasonable playing time ;)
Tnx
This is a good one for you. Cant say how long it is but will take hours to read everything there is

Reactions: Fred689
4.70 star(s) 319 Votes