Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Did y'all ever consider that her being a bitch might not be a poorly written 'tragic backstory' cliche and she's just, y'know, a bitch? Assuming that there must be some kind of deep meaning rather than her just coming from a racist culture, what's that about?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: ZanithOne

mrsearch

Apr 11, 2018
Yeah, but you're not just talking about it, you're criticising it as bad writing based on that assumption.

I'm basing my labeling of bad writing on the rest of the conflicting bits throughout the current game's story. As I said there is this constant kneejerk shift between "grab dem tiddies" and (Attempt at exposition dump and deep lore for Infernals) choices/paths. That's the only reall exposition dump we've gotten so it's the only thing I can point to so far. Lyriel happens to be the prominent figure in this topic though so it's all being focused on her. She could just be a cunt though which makes her infinitely less compelling from a writing standpoint. That's boring and a lazy way to introduce conflict into this kind of story. It works in other settings but in something like this, if the best way to cause conflict is to introduce a character who serves only a purpose of "starting shit" in a walled in location, it's low effort writing imo.

An example of an alternate approach would be to allow the characters to gradually build up an intolerance/aggravation with each other's quirks. Treat them like people with personalities. Instead we currently have an elf who shows up and does nothing but *walks into room to cause conflict" by being dick for seemingly no reason. Will we get a good reason? Maybe. Time will tell. Or, story must have conflict so must write character to make conflict or story get boring. We're just discussing the game and it's potential character development based on what's available mate, it's fun. The game is enjoyable and we aren't trashing it with malice.

Can't really have a discussion with 1: "what if she's a bitch?" 2: "maybe she is a bitch..." 1: "yep." These forums would be dead if that's the attitude people had.

Last edited:

Hones

Forum Fanatic
Compressor
Aug 10, 2018
I'm basing my labeling of bad writing on the rest of the conflicting bits throughout the current game's story. As I said there is this constant kneejerk shift between "grab dem tiddies" and (Attempt at exposition dump and deep lore for Infernals) choices/paths. That's the only reall exposition dump we've gotten so it's the only thing I can point to so far. Lyriel happens to be the prominent figure in this topic though so it's all being focused on her. She could just be a cunt though which makes her infinitely less compelling from a writing standpoint. That's boring and a lazy way to introduce conflict into this kind of story. It works in other settings but in something like this, if the best way to cause conflict is to introduce a character who serves only a purpose of "starting shit" in a walled in location, it's low effort writing imo.

An example of an alternate approach would be to allow the characters to gradually build up an intolerance/aggravation with each other's quirks. Treat them like people with personalities. Instead we currently have an elf who shows up and does nothing but *walks into room to cause conflict" by being dick for seemingly no reason. Will we get a good reason? Maybe. Time will tell. Or, story must have conflict so must write character to make conflict or story get boring. We're just discussing the game and it's potential character development based on what's available mate, it's fun. The game is enjoyable and we aren't trashing it with malice.

Can't really have a discussion with 1: "what if she's a bitch?" 2: "maybe she is a bitch..." 1: "yep." These forums would be dead if that's the attitude people had.
Have you continued her story route yet because if you have you should have noticed her attitude towards the others start to ease up and her opening up more trying to be friendly, her bitchiness doesn't last.

Many of the reasons for her abrasive attitude are hinted at and/or explained in dialogue, her race or at-least those from her home have a tenancy to look down on others believing themselves superior, she came from a prominent bloodline, she was recently exiled from her home and forced to move to a human city, after which she was forcibly dragged into the strange house and trapped there with three humans and an infernal.

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
v0.4.6 public is now uploaded. I will be back to answer the questions a bit later, sorry for being silent, really overwhelmed with work and life stuff ATM.

For those of you folks who do repacks, compressed version and/or mods, I've attached the file with my modified RenPy SDK files. Those are two cherrypicked commits from Tom (renpy.dynamic with kwargs and return_not_found_label) and my own state restoration logic which isn't really needed anymore. The kwargs-enabled dynamic is crucial, though. The game will crash on the very first scenes if it's missing.

hENTAIKAMWEN

Nov 30, 2019
I wanna ask could anyone please tell me where is the shirt/ bra location to unlock rae's gallery? I can't find it anywhere on her room

m1ch43l

Jul 6, 2017
Holy so many wall of texts . . .
How about we talk about something more visually appealing?

In the changelog it says "possibly ThE hOtTeSt sex animation ever done".
Any idea what that means?

JustADude321

Feb 23, 2018
Am I the only Lyriel fan? Admittedly I may or may not have a thing for elves which might cloud my judgement, and she was being kind of a bitch at first (and her plans to apologize backfired completely which I found both hilarious and adorable), but she seems to catch so much flak and negativity and I can't understand why :unsure:
My only real problem with her is that she treats my girl Cait like shit, or at least did at first. I wouldn't really mind if she reserved her bitchiness to the males like the MC, but it's when she attacks the shy, kind-hearted and adorable character that it really sparks my anger. I'm not an idiot, of course, and I can understand why she does what she does, and how much of a misunderstanding the whole thing is.

But it still leaves a sour taste in my mouth when I see it happen, y'know?

4.70 star(s) 318 Votes