segaegae

Dec 5, 2021
Yes, because Blair was planned before she was introduced. I don't know when Zanith picked the name, but her character was planned for years.
I know there is planning, but I thought names might come in only the last moment.
I wonder about other names. There is rift, house, zan. Gilviel is the only other (than zan) cg maker listed in credits. The rest on floor 1 I'm not sure, but maybe refer to some in the credits as well, there is Eldjotnar, Hats, and Yhoundeh. The closest thing I get for oonur is a rift lord oonorlund, but...

segaegae

Dec 5, 2021
Good catch, I never noticed that before. Now the question is, are those names significant to the story or is it just an easter egg?
It seems to me just an easter egg, or just the dev gets tired naming all those things. That said, I'd love to see some more of such easter eggs, for example put rae into floor 3, cait, lyriel in floor 2 and naomi, yono, blair in floor 1. Or better, something like rae reading seriously R-A-E and get some explanation, like Geralt reading D-L-C.

Reactions: Cartageno

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I know there is planning, but I thought names might come in only the last moment.
They might change in the last moment for some reason or another, sure, but I am certain every story writer has names in mind when creating a character (or a town or whatever have you), even if it is obvious that it might be changed because it ain't perfect yet. I would even say, those who do not care about names at all don't really care about the character that much at all in the first place even though Susan may later be Kimberley or whatever, those writers will probably (but that may be my prejudice) write sloppier stories. "Big titted redhead slut" may be how a player sees them but to a caring dev she will always be Steph.

Reactions: Diogen1

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
Names might be the last thing...in the initial planning stages. But when writing the storyline for a character, its always better to have the name down, just to make it easier to write them or to characterise them.

For example, you have Caitlin, an Irish version of Catherine, itself derived from Greek. The meaning of Catherine can be "Pure", which fits the character of our girl in the game. She's the most pure, the most innocent and maybe the most naive. All of which plays into how she interacts with others. The fact that the Irish version is used fits in with the world she's from.

You have Naomi, her name coming from the Hebrew for "Pleasantness". It certainly fits Naomi, in that she's very pleasant and can be pleasant to be around.

Yona, another Hebrew name, this time for "Dove", a symbol of peace, which fits in that since she "died", Yona has become far more peaceable and passive in the house.

Now, I might be entirely wrong in all these names. but there is something that is true. Names give characters, well, character. They help inform us of their personality, of what we can expect and a lot more. More often than not, names are often one of the first things to be considered when it comes to planning ahead.

Reactions: Cartageno

Crese1967895

Mar 10, 2020
Anyone else here prefer the harry potter glasses on Cait(Or the other pair that she didn't get)? The pair she has now looks horrible in comparison imo.

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
I like her either way. It's basically a matter of taste. Kind of like Yona. I didn't like her initially but she's grown on me. Now I wish she had more interesting content.

MrSancini

Feb 18, 2018
I have no recollection of being on this topic, so please convince me to download this game for some reason (the overview is eh and I'm not too fond of sandboxes, but Mythic Manor became one of my favs, so give me your best shot)

segaegae

Dec 5, 2021
They might change in the last moment for some reason or another, sure, but I am certain every story writer has names in mind when creating a character (or a town or whatever have you), even if it is obvious that it might be changed because it ain't perfect yet. I would even say, those who do not care about names at all don't really care about the character that much at all in the first place even though Susan may later be Kimberley or whatever, those writers will probably (but that may be my prejudice) write sloppier stories. "Big titted redhead slut" may be how a player sees them but to a caring dev she will always be Steph.
Yes of course. What I mean is, you first figure out the background, characteristics, even a bit of stories, then find a fitting name.

Names might be the last thing...in the initial planning stages. But when writing the storyline for a character, its always better to have the name down, just to make it easier to write them or to characterise them.

For example, you have Caitlin, an Irish version of Catherine, itself derived from Greek. The meaning of Catherine can be "Pure", which fits the character of our girl in the game. She's the most pure, the most innocent and maybe the most naive. All of which plays into how she interacts with others. The fact that the Irish version is used fits in with the world she's from.

You have Naomi, her name coming from the Hebrew for "Pleasantness". It certainly fits Naomi, in that she's very pleasant and can be pleasant to be around.

Yona, another Hebrew name, this time for "Dove", a symbol of peace, which fits in that since she "died", Yona has become far more peaceable and passive in the house.

Now, I might be entirely wrong in all these names. but there is something that is true. Names give characters, well, character. They help inform us of their personality, of what we can expect and a lot more. More often than not, names are often one of the first things to be considered when it comes to planning ahead.
I agree name could be an important part. What I actually means is I did not think the initial planning stage covers all the characters. I thought dev just have a rough plan about how many should be there, and then just plan them one by one, adjusting partially to players respond.
I do believe many natively English names used today comes from greek or latin or Hebrew because of Bible.

I actually found Naomi quite confusing. According to Wikipedia Naomi could be a Japanese name, or like you said, a name of Hebrew origin. Together with her dark appearance, I would expect she to be a barbary or asian pirate. Yet it seems dev would put her in somewhere similar to Caribbean, and zantiy is just Antilles in some haiti language.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I have no recollection of being on this topic, so please convince me to download this game for some reason (the overview is eh and I'm not too fond of sandboxes, but Mythic Manor became one of my favs, so give me your best shot)
It's an exceptionally well done sandbox. I wouldn't say it has any of the issues that often make them bad. The girls have well developed personalities (the ones who have been around for a while at least; a couple are newer and not fully fleshed out yet). You can see the quality of the visuals from the screenshots, except that you can't because those are older images and the newer ones are even better. All the sex scenes are animated, and the animations are custom and much better than the stock Honey Select animations.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
It's gotta be said though, that some of the moving views are not recommendated if you suffer from seasickness and/or are drunk ;)

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
The animations are really good. Some of the best I've seen. And only getting better as the game goes on.
The best thing about them is how much the animations focus on the female's ongoing and heightening arousal and pleasure. Really expressive, really good. And as the other poster said... some of the characters weren't really my preference but I appreciate their innate femininity that grows and sometimes blossoms depending on their personality.

I love volleyball bodies but Lyriel was such a turn-off... until I started to understand her feelings through the dreams. And the ogre just seemed gross until I realized how much of her persona was dependent on both subjugation and domination. Getting her to open up and feel something for herself is going to be fun.

And obviously Rae is just a character in a visual novel, but she is an intoxicating presence. You rarely see such refined eroticism and watch a woman develop such a compelling relationship with the MC. She's fantastic and the overall plot is incredibly unique. You never see a novel like this that can explain away its conceits with such believability.

It's just an all-around surprising Honey Select/Harem game that doesn't have nearly as much filler as some you see. The product is tightly wound and everything about it oozes refinement and care. This is one of my favorite eVNs. Top 5 for me easily so far.

segaegae

Dec 5, 2021
Rae

Taxes pretty sure 95% of your money goes to Rae, also she deserves it.
Oh I see where this is going. Rae would take every money you find in the house, in return she will cover all the expenditure on earth, with her own money from her armlet when needed.
Sounds good, right? Except when you want to buy Naomi a drink.

segaegae

Dec 5, 2021

Oh I just notice from wiki that:
The name Rae came from the Scottish/English Borderlands. It was a name for a person known as a timid or shy person. Another research revealed that the name is derived from the Old English word "ray", that referred to a doe. It may also be a short form of the female name Rachel, which means "little lamb" in Hebrew.

4.70 star(s) 318 Votes