sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017
How has no one created a mod for this replacing the goddamn backticks with actual apostrophes???

Please I am suffering mental pain

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
i have word for those peeps but since i'm under warning for near month can't say it.
I could say the same about the use of the term "backticks" . . . something that only exists if you lay in tall grass infested with arachnids. (I really hate that name for the ` character.)

Aioto

Oct 31, 2018
One's supposed to go on top of a letter, the other is supposed to go in between letters, the difference in space around them makes it pretty obvious when you use the wrong one. But it's also something you get used to after a while, even if you have OCD.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
One's supposed to go on top of a letter, the other is supposed to go in between letters, the difference in space around them makes it pretty obvious when you use the wrong one. But it's also something you get used to after a while, even if you have OCD.
Exactly. I noticed it straightaway and still finished the kinetic novel without a problem. I think it's meant to be a lazy way of avoiding the need to escape characters in the code (like \' or \" when applicable), but IMO its use isn't enough to justify a mod for it.

Aioto

Oct 31, 2018
Exactly. I noticed it straightaway and still finished the kinetic novel without a problem. I think it's meant to be a lazy way of avoiding the need to escape characters in the code (like \' or \" when applicable), but IMO its use isn't enough to justify a mod for it.
Honestly I don't get why people want to avoid escape characters so much, isn't it just a matter of alternating the type of quotes you use? Like whichever one you used to wrap the string in, use the other one inside.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Honestly I don't get why people want to avoid escape characters so much, isn't it just a matter of alternating the type of quotes you use? Like whichever one you used to wrap the string in, use the other one inside.
Usually, yeah. A developer still might occasionally run into a need to escape them, though. Let's say you choose double quotes for your primary string indicators. You don't need to worry about single quotes being used as apostrophes in the text now, right? But what if a character is speaking (so you need to indicate the string) and they for some reason need to quote another character in their dialogue. So Marcy is talking (thus you use double quotes) and she tells the MC something she heard Alicia say. Depending on whether she summarizes or directly quotes Alicia, you might need to use double quotes again:
Python:
m "[mc], I saw Alicia at the store. \"Like, hiya, Marcy! It's, like, {i}so{/i} good to see you today, ya know?\" Barf."
That would also apply if they used scare quotes while talking, for instance. Ofc the same conflict arises if you use single quotes for your string indicators but then run into apostrophes needed in the dialogue. I think using double quotes would risk far fewer instances of a conflict, but they do happen nevertheless.

Reactions: Aioto

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
You could also use proper typographic apostrophes <’> and quotation marks <“”>/<‘’> in your dialogue and not have to deal with escape characters that way either.

Reactions: LinusMundane

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
You could also use proper typographic apostrophes <’> and quotation marks <“”>/<‘’> in your dialogue and not have to deal with escape characters that way either.
Yes, although those are more cumbersome to use. You have either know an ASCII code so you can enter them with a power key (like Alt) or find them online (or via a "Special Character" option in a word processing program), copy them, and then find-replace existing marks with those. While I think it would definitely look better, I'm not sure developers would find it worth the extra effort, even if it's not all that much work. When I'm typing here, I don't go hunt down typographic marks just to replace what I've entered. Far too much effort for a simple post. I would guess it's very much the same for most developers.

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
Yes, although those are more cumbersome to use. You have either know an ASCII code so you can enter them with a power key (like Alt) or find them online (or via a "Special Character" option in a word processing program), copy them, and then find-replace existing marks with those. While I think it would definitely look better, I'm not sure developers would find it worth the extra effort, even if it's not all that much work. When I'm typing here, I don't go hunt down typographic marks just to replace what I've entered. Far too much effort for a simple post. I would guess it's very much the same for most developers.
Another option would be first writing your text in a word processor like Microsoft Word or LibreOffice Writer, which tend to automatically replace apostrophes and quotation marks with their typographic variants, or even an alternate keyboard configuration which does have more convenient shortcuts for those (I use Canadian multilingual, which uses ctrl + v/b for “”—not much more complex than shift + . for "), but if it really comes down to it, I don’t think it’s that much of a hassle to use alt codes, since they’re all adjacent to one another (alt 0145–0148).

For forum posts like these obviously I don’t always bother, but if you’re writing actual text you want to have look more “professional”, I think alt codes can be really useful: beyond apostrophes and quotations, you have em- and en-dashes, non-breaking spaces, etc.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Another option would be first writing your text in a word processor like Microsoft Word or LibreOffice Writer, which tend to automatically replace apostrophes and quotation marks with their typographic variants, or even an alternate keyboard configuration which does have more convenient shortcuts for those (I use Canadian multilingual, which uses ctrl + v/b for “”—not much more complex than shift + . for "), but if it really comes down to it, I don’t think it’s that much of a hassle to use alt codes, since they’re all adjacent to one another (alt 0145–0148).

For forum posts like these obviously I don’t always bother, but if you’re writing actual text you want to have look more “professional”, I think alt codes can be really useful: beyond apostrophes and quotations, you have em- and en-dashes, non-breaking spaces, etc.
But again, that requires setting everything up or entering the text in a word processor, then copying and pasting it across. It's still far more work than is needed. I also disagree that it looks more "professional" or whatever. Just ' or " is fine; it's not a New York Times bestseller devs are going for or anything. It won't be bound in leather nor done in some extremely fancy font generally. If you ever make a VN, knock yourself out with special typography.

sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017
True, a "mod" would admittedly be excessive, since a straight find/replace seems to have done the trick anyway (or at least nothing has broken yet)

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
True, a "mod" would admittedly be excessive, since a straight find/replace seems to have done the trick anyway (or at least nothing has broken yet)
Why did you put mod in scare quotes? The word exists as a standard English abbreviation for modification (which is what those types of files are). :unsure:

sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017
Why did you put mod in scare quotes? The word exists as a standard English abbreviation for modification (which is what those types of files are). :unsure:
Just to differentiate between something one would share for the convenience of others as opposed to a simple local change like this

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Game definitely dragged, but enjoyed the first bit a lot
well dev had to drag so wifey's baby would born and squire would be impregnated after that before timejump. he could have dragged it much more w/o timejump but dunno if any1 would have liked it.

2.90 star(s) 97 Votes