VN Ren'Py Completed A Promise Best Left Unkept [Bonus Scenes S2 7-8] [Hangover Cat Purrroduction]

4.10 star(s) 102 Votes

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
I know this is definitely "not that game". The dev has pretty clear ideas of what kind of story to tell and those that like it, really like it judging by the talk of emotional scarring. Game dev victory, right there. There's always future games and hope does, in fact, spring eternal. There's definitely a lot of other games I can play if I want a power fantasy.

Smartest move in this game is having the mystery mode and the everything mode.

Are there any where it's kind of battle of wills between you and someone else over who can "woo" or manipulate or date or fuck the love interest better? Not a fight game, just... if I do well, she ends up with me and if I do poorly or show insufficient interest because I'm off banging someone else, she ends up with someone else? There are times I want to go "you know what, not worth my time, but I'mma go bang your mom now".
Have you tried The Guy in Charge, Tyrant, Culture Shock, Power Vaccum, or Rise of the Crime Lord? Some of them may fit the bill for you. I like NTR games that have both an alpha and beta path. Variety is the spice of life.

johnreturns

Oct 13, 2020
Have you tried The Guy in Charge, Tyrant, Culture Shock, Power Vaccum, or Rise of the Crime Lord? Some of them may fit the bill for you. I like NTR games that have both an alpha and beta path. Variety is the spice of life.
Tyrant had a good mix of "If you don't do it, somebody else will" for me. Power Vacuum has struck a note with writing and non-canonical NTR endings that completely satisfies my weird sense of humor and getting to do a romance path while constantly falling off it. I'll look for the others, because I don't think I've played them.

Superhuman also has a path like that. You can go with your friend to pretend to be her boyfriend, but she's made it clear she'll do anything to get ahead. You can pursue her, or if you won't do that, somebody else will. Kind of makes the world feel more alive if other people are engaging in their lives when you aren't around. Like getting to the end of Mass Effect without romancing Tali or Garrus only to find out they've been romancing each other because you picked someone else.

I do think a game that lets you pick, ala Tyrant, is both a lot more work (because all the parallel branches) and multiple endings can mean the author doesn't get to tell the story they wanted to. Fiction to game adaptation is all about the compromise in the end. Kinetic novels can be completely enjoyable. Interactive Fiction is interactive to a point, but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to shoulder the load of all those branches. Look at all the half finished content that started out with passion and then burned out or wrote itself into a corner.

I like how A Promise Best Left Unkept and The Edge Of were written. There's just a part of me that wants to take the title's advice and go "You know what, fuck it. We're going to be a power couple or nope right out of this because I'm a sane person that has rationalized what's really important to me."

It would be a short fucking branch, but some ends are. I have been eaten in the dark by a grue, after all.

Reactions: RandomLeviathan

matsuy

Sep 15, 2017
There's a new patron-only post discussing (planned/possible?) endings to APBLU on . Anybody able to share this here? (Pretty please, with sugar on top!)

Reactions: Jamesrepuela
Aug 16, 2018
There's a new patron-only post discussing (planned/possible?) endings to APBLU on . Anybody able to share this here? (Pretty please, with sugar on top!)
To summarize, HangoverCat lists down the conditions required to reach each of the five branches and which branch they'll be coding first. Doesn't actually talk about the endings of the branches, though one can guess.

I'm unable to see if my hope of Harry overcoming this loss of trust and moving on with life will happen in any of the five branches.

hzd101

May 18, 2017
To summarize, HangoverCat lists down the conditions required to reach each of the five branches and which branch they'll be coding first. Doesn't actually talk about the endings of the branches, though one can guess.

I'm unable to see if my hope of Harry overcoming this loss of trust and moving on with life will happen in any of the five branches.
From what was said for the second ending it seems most likely that that will be the one if any where Harry moves on with his life. Unsure if it will be healthy though.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Brazilian Engrish

SpecterX

Apr 29, 2020
Man I feel you, I enjoy NTR but the most stupid/ridiculous the story is the better, it always irks me when people demand realistic NTR, no fuck that, give me simple blackmail kissing photo with my boyfriend. IDK maybe i'm not into NTR? Maybe I just got desynthesized with NTR, like a sergeant that doesn't feel anything when seeing human guts on a operating table, but when seeing someone brutally die in real life, they feel like shit. My point is, I plaid and read shit ton of NTR but games like this and "the edge of", or dark hero party its just too much for me. Maybe Im just a poser lol.
I feel you man.
I don't hate ntr, I don't really enjoy it either. I think I just tolerate it. Like this thing you hate but can't stop going back to it, sometimes I just go back to ntr games/H-anime.
I could say I enjoy it if I don't take time to care about the story but what would be the point of reading a book if you just skip through it?
I think I just started on the wrong foot with genre so everytime I want to enjoy it I have flashbacks of a really fucked up one I've read a while ago.
I do enjoy good writing that's why I'm still here and one day I'll play this whole game for sure.

When they will ask why there was a peak in young male depression after 2020 we will just say "Hangover Cat, that guy was a genius" :KEK:

And for the believers here just don't forget that Aya's corruption story is coming so abandon every hope, I know it's hard but if you always hope for the worst, it will hurt less.

Izalith

Sep 15, 2019
no happy ending is sad.
also makes choices meaningless.
all u get are diff cgs with same outcome.

sometimes we want apple pie to go with our green peas. like sweet n sour pork.
heres hoping dev changes his mind and adds a good route for blonde, at least shes a decent person.

Princess Groundhog

Nov 5, 2018
Why would anyone want a happy ending in a game like this? Or a violent ending? Isn’t the whole point of NTR the cluelessness and humiliation of the guy, and maybe at the end he starts enjoying it or at least accepts it?

Izalith

Sep 15, 2019
Why would anyone want a happy ending in a game like this? Or a violent ending? Isn’t the whole point of NTR the cluelessness and humiliation of the guy, and maybe at the end he starts enjoying it or at least accepts it?
of course its for ntr lovers. thats why all the endings are NTR at the moment.
but that doesnt mean we cant enjoy the occasional good ending. it actually makes the ntr better.
but i think having one good ending with ten bad ending is more meaningful than 11 bad endings with just cg variation.

i like ntr but i dunno about str8 depression lol.

XDD258

Sep 28, 2019
no happy ending is sad.
also makes choices meaningless.
all u get are diff cgs with same outcome.

sometimes we want apple pie to go with our green peas. like sweet n sour pork.
heres hoping dev changes his mind and adds a good route for blonde, at least shes a decent person.
Based on HC's new Patreon post, I think the third ending will be the only good ending for the game

Animefan_09

Sep 13, 2017
Based on HC's new Patreon post, I think the third ending will be the only good ending for the game
Based on what some people are saying i think he didn't make an explicit happy ending, like it will depend on people what they consider happy, is there 1 that sounds like Harry remains blind tot he ntr or at least is conviced all was in his head?

Aug 16, 2018
It's the contrasts.

My interest in NTR mainly comes from the gradual corruption of FMC. Playing the vanilla route first makes the following play of the corruption/NTR route all the better.

Sometimes though I just want a wholesome ending when I'm particularly attached to a character.

4.10 star(s) 102 Votes