Mod Ren'Py A Town Unfiltered - A Town Uncovered Mod [Wolfregis]

5.00 star(s) 5 Votes

Should I re-create the game to allow me to make more changes with the story or keep it the same?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nutmeg123

Sep 10, 2020
Good luck Wolfregis. Isn't there a recruitment section where you can recruit people? Also I feel that the game is becoming more and more awaited. How far are you done?

Wolfregis

Aug 9, 2016
Well the remade game be released in this thread or another one?
I plan on releasing it in this thread, no point in making a new thread for what is essentially the same mod, that being said I will be posting a recruitment request sometime around the 18th, for a coder and artist.

Wolfregis

Aug 9, 2016
So..........how's it going?
Wolfregis Did you find some recruits?
First and foremost I'm working on writing and finalizing everything I have for the new version. Second I don't have any viable previews yet, I haven't found an artist willing to do the work for free and it's been nearly two weeks since I heard from the person that I asked to code a proof of concept build. Finally when and if I can find someone to do the art it will take time. If I can't find someone willing to do the art by the end of July, I'll release a word document containing everything that I've written and outlined. If that future does comes to pass then all I ask of the person or persons that take up the mantle to give Fudulaboi proper credit for starting the mod project. Though the same rules apply as before if Geeseki, his team, or their publisher request that the mod be cancelled then I will have to comply.

Reactions: StarCreator
Feb 29, 2020
"by the end of July"

Two years for a mod to go to 0.2
yes, this is what happens when a part time hobbyist modder can't handle the workload they set for themselves and concede before things get wildly out of hand

you are more than welcome to assist the current lead dev, or you can continue to make passive-aggressive comments that surely must be incredibly encouraging to hear

ipreg

Oct 6, 2020
As far as the art is concerned, how much new art is needed? I feel that for a mod automation could play a role. For example using (an implementation here: and the project it is forked from: ) or the one from facebook (why would they work on this) . Animating an image of a person is a problem with solutions and could help with getting various poses from a single image of a character. The other example is teaching an AI geeseki's artstyle to turn photos into cartoons, I tried training using the original game's images but it didn't turn out great either because the training set was too small and/or my gpu didn't have enough memory (Out of the many problems, it couldn't figure out the lighting because half of the game images take place at night and are blue tinted, so I had to reduce the training set further to pick only daytime images ;_; ). I still think the photo -> cartoon could work with newer GANs which require less memory, but I haven't explored it as taking papers and turning it into code is difficult and I just wait for a github repository to pop up (this stuff is at most 4 years old) and maybe I am looking in the wrong places. The field moves very fast so everyday there are more AI to play with and I am sure there are other shortcuts but these are just the ones I have found. If I had a powerful computer I would test this out myself, but the GPU market is kinda fucked right now. Still this is worth considering.

ipreg

Oct 6, 2020
For example using (an implementation here: and the project it is forked from: ) or the one from facebook (why would they work on this) .

Just to add on this, I remembered deepfakes exist and full body deepfakes are getting there . I don't know if we are there yet, but pretty soon I could see being able to take any charater and have an AI generate any pose of that charater in the original artstyle.

Also I ended up doing the above with openpose, pifuhd, and rigify. It does not look good... maybe with cleanup it could really be a useful technique, but at that point I am not sure if this is easier than re-drawing in 2D. The images show my results

StarCreator

Oct 2, 2017
Just to add on this, I remembered deepfakes exist and full body deepfakes are getting there . I don't know if we are there yet, but pretty soon I could see being able to take any charater and have an AI generate any pose of that charater in the original artstyle.

Also I ended up doing the above with openpose, pifuhd, and rigify. It does not look good... maybe with cleanup it could really be a useful technique, but at that point I am not sure if this is easier than re-drawing in 2D. The images show my results
1614059713341.jpeg

Wolfregis

Aug 9, 2016
As far as the art is concerned, how much new art is needed? I feel that for a mod automation could play a role. For example using (an implementation here: and the project it is forked from: ) or the one from facebook (why would they work on this) . Animating an image of a person is a problem with solutions and could help with getting various poses from a single image of a character. The other example is teaching an AI geeseki's artstyle to turn photos into cartoons, I tried training using the original game's images but it didn't turn out great either because the training set was too small and/or my gpu didn't have enough memory (Out of the many problems, it couldn't figure out the lighting because half of the game images take place at night and are blue tinted, so I had to reduce the training set further to pick only daytime images ;_; ). I still think the photo -> cartoon could work with newer GANs which require less memory, but I haven't explored it as taking papers and turning it into code is difficult and I just wait for a github repository to pop up (this stuff is at most 4 years old) and maybe I am looking in the wrong places. The field moves very fast so everyday there are more AI to play with and I am sure there are other shortcuts but these are just the ones I have found. If I had a powerful computer I would test this out myself, but the GPU market is kinda fucked right now. Still this is worth considering.
First of all thanks for the recommendations I'll have to look into them when I get the chance, they sound really useful. Granted I'm more of a writer guy, and would rather not blight anyone's eyes with my artistic or coding skills. As far as updates on the project itself goes, still looking for an artist, and a coder. The person that originally volunteered to work as Fudulaboi's replacement has failed to reach back to me after several attempts to contact them. I can only hope that they're in good health and the worst hasn't happened to them. That being said I'm probably gonna put up another recruitment thread in the next day or so, as I can't seem to find if the one I posted originally, might have been deleted, not entirely sure on that front. But for any potential recruits, the ideal situation would be to do the work pro bono and release updates on a semi-regular basis.

friedkeenan

Sep 6, 2018
Here's a secret for you: If you look at most renpy games' code, except for a few devs, the code is very wonky. Four Elements Trainer's code for a long time at least was really really unorganized and just sorta bad. WVM's code is all in a single, huge file. Absolutely love these games, but their code/structure is not good, but that's *fine*. Really renpy code is not very hard to write in the first place, the bulk of it is just
Code:
<character> <dialog>
and
Code:
show <image>
and then labels you jump to. It's specifically designed to be stupidly easy to write, and even though it would be better to write good code, ultimately that matters significantly less than the art and story. Really would recommend giving writing renpy code yourself a shot.

Jun 3, 2020
Change log was removed, how much work was done for the mod before the idea of remaking it came forward? Did you do anything new with the art?

dark1

Mar 5, 2017
First of all thanks for the recommendations I'll have to look into them when I get the chance, they sound really useful. Granted I'm more of a writer guy, and would rather not blight anyone's eyes with my artistic or coding skills. As far as updates on the project itself goes, still looking for an artist, and a coder. The person that originally volunteered to work as Fudulaboi's replacement has failed to reach back to me after several attempts to contact them. I can only hope that they're in good health and the worst hasn't happened to them. That being said I'm probably gonna put up another recruitment thread in the next day or so, as I can't seem to find if the one I posted originally, might have been deleted, not entirely sure on that front. But for any potential recruits, the ideal situation would be to do the work pro bono and release updates on a semi-regular basis.
To your "writer guy" if the worst happens and you can't find a artist, Could you put out the plot you had as a story/fanfiction ?.

Wolfregis

Aug 9, 2016
To your "writer guy" if the worst happens and you can't find a artist, Could you put out the plot you had as a story/fanfiction ?.
If I cannot find an artist or coder, then I planned on releasing everything I've written by the end of July. That way if someone else wants to take up work on the mod they at least have a base script that they can work from or alter if they so choose.

Reactions: dark1

ipreg

Oct 6, 2020
If I cannot find an artist or coder, then I planned on releasing everything I've written by the end of July. That way if someone else wants to take up work on the mod they at least have a base script that they can work from or alter if they so choose.
I know I am basically an unknown around here, but I have extensive experience with python and could help out

5.00 star(s) 5 Votes