xxxorro

Jan 18, 2021
If you send Dylan to boarding school and not do Aiden's tasks, you don't get the conversation to set Dylan up with Emma. You do however get Dylan/Marie, and Dylan/Amber options.

The next Nathalie event is this playable day (12) before Sam's concert, not next.
Yes, sorry for a moment I confused PD and release. I edited the post to avoid spreading fake news ;)

And thanks again, I completely forgot about the condition for Emma/Dylan hook-up.

So, if you are in the Aiden's path, you'll have Emma/Dylan if you choose to hook up Dylan, otherwise, in any other case, it will be Sophia/Dylan.
To be seen, as I said before, if it will be the same event or there will be changes whether it is in the homeschooling path or not.

Last edited:

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
Inspired by Notretsam I decided to restart from scratch. Right away you see the incredible difference in the quality of renders from the get go to now.

(this was probably already covered in the first dozen pages of the thread so sorry for the old news)
But you also see some of the sloppy writing:
San Alejo airport is 3,000 meters above sea level, but San Alejo appears to be at sea level. Fine, but they get from the airport to the new home in just 25 minutes. So that's leaving an airport parking garage (they were parked on the 8th floor), then exiting the airport complex, some freeway driving and then some city driving, in 25 minutes. Ok, fine.

But the whole rationale of Carl taking the sports car instead of the SUV was that they were running late. But then if you refuse to let Dylan sit on your lap Carl calls his chauffeur to pick them up and says "he'll be here in a few minutes" - so how is it possible that they were running late and needed to take the faster car if the trip to the airport is so ... short?

So I haven't even got into the car from the airport and already the congruity is a mess...

ancienregimele

Sep 27, 2017
Inspired by Notretsam I decided to restart from scratch. Right away you see the incredible difference in the quality of renders from the get go to now.

(this was probably already covered in the first dozen pages of the thread so sorry for the old news)
San Alejo airport is 3,000 meters above sea level, but San Alejo appears to be at sea level. Fine, but they get from the airport to the new home in just 25 minutes. So that's leaving an airport parking garage (they were parked on the 8th floor), then exiting the airport complex, some freeway driving and then some city driving, in 25 minutes. Ok, fine.

But the whole rationale of Carl taking the sports car instead of the SUV was that they were running late. But then if you refuse to let Dylan sit on your lap Carl calls his chauffeur to pick them up and says "he'll be here in a few minutes" - so how is it possible that they were running late and needed to take the faster car if the trip to the airport is so ... short?

So I haven't even got into the car from the airport and already the congruity is a mess...
Aren't we forgetting that the airport is on top of the 'Old Red Plateau; or 'Antigua Meseta Roja,' the formation of red sandstone visible for miles around. It cost an absolute fortune to construct & the logistics were a nightmare. It began in the 1930's, when San Alejo was an important fishing port, as part of President Roosevelt's New Deal....... connected part of the interstate ....& wasn't completed until 1954....

[This is what too long between updates can do to the average fan's mind....]

xxxorro

Jan 18, 2021

I missed the 3000 meters airport! :D Even assuming it is a kind of a strange conversion error and he wanted to say 3000ft to make it more "American", that still makes ~1000m.
Python:
l "I'll pack the jacket in your trunk, don't worry!"
c "Got it! OK, my Benz is in the parking garage not far away! Shall we?"
c "The men carry the luggage and the ladies relax!"
c "Oh, and don't panic if you feel like you’re getting a little less air outside. The airport is 3000 meters above sea level!"
s "That's very kind of you Carl, but actually the suitcases have wheels!"
c "Doesn't matter! Besides, the damned elevator at the parking garage is damaged. And we need to get up to the 8th level using the stairs! That's where the
reserved VIP parking places are, unfortunately!"
It's really a strange thing to detail in the dialogues, though. It makes you even think that it is placed there because it will be used later on...

The sport car thing is clearly there with the sole purpose of Dylan sitting on Sophia, but it is really unbelievable! :)
But, again, there exist people like that, so attached to their vain objects to show off that they lose touch with the reality and they find normal to use a sport car to pick up a group of 4 people + luggages.

But after all it's a work of fiction, there are poetic/artistic licences everywhere if we really start to look at every line of the script, like you can find even in the best movies or novels.
The "realism" for me is more related to the fact that the story, the characters and the events are more or less coherent. The characters, Sophia in primis, are not flat but are developed along the story and you are made part of her inner thoughts and emotions, which can lead to choices that might be classified as irrational at first but that make kind of sense when they are placed in the context of the story and the inner rationale of the character.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catherine1972

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
I missed the 3000 meters airport! :D Even assuming it is a kind of a strange conversion error and he wanted to say 3000ft to make it more "American", that still makes ~1000m.
It's really a strange thing to detail in the dialogues, though. It makes you even think that it is placed there because it will be used later on...
I wonder about that too. It's too much detail to be a throwaway.

Reactions: xxxorro

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019

There are about a half dozen cities with elevations above 3000m (mainly in Peru and Bolivia), so while odd, not unreasonable.

As for the trip taking 25 minutes, I believe they were specifically taking a detour through the city. And Carl's driver was 10 minutes away. So if the airport and both houses were on the same side of the city, that would be why the trip to the new house would have taken longer.

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
There are about a half dozen cities with elevations above 3000m (mainly in Peru and Bolivia), so while odd, not unreasonable.
Exactly how many of those are within 20 miles of the coast?
As for the trip taking 25 minutes, I believe they were specifically taking a detour through the city.
Nope, the trip took 25 minutes. Carl and Patricia showed up a few minutes later because they took a detour (to buy something unimportant)
And Carl's driver was 10 minutes away.
That is nowhere in the script. The line is "I'm gonna call Steve and he'll be here in a few minutes."

The point I'm making of the travel time is not that it's impossible, the point is that it's such a short trip that running late could not possibly be resolved by taking a four-door sport sedan, no matter its acceleration and horsepower.
So if the airport and both houses were on the same side of the city, that would be why the trip to the new house would have taken longer.
I think you mean if they were on the opposite side of the city the trip would be longer? Either way, that's not the point.

The bigger point is, in leading up to the very first question of the game, let Dylan ride on your lap or take separate cars, the contortions L&P went through just to get to that first decision point are kind of astounding.

Now, I will concede the intent of the sports car may have been to paint Carl as such a douche bag that he would deliberately take an unsuitable vehicle on the flimsiest of pretenses. The in-game excuse is that Carl never imagined the kids would be so big. These are his niece and nephew, so he knows their ages. Is that plausible? Maybe ... But it seems more likely that it was a quick and easy way to put Dylan on Sophia's lap.

More plausible would perhaps be one of:
carl: My fault, the SUV is having maintenance this morning and I didn't think to cancel.
This would be kinda douche-like but not a flagrant disregard of others

carl: the car broke down and I had to have it towed to the shop.
cheap and easy, but more plausible perhaps?

Or, maybe more comical: The Parkers brought so much luggage that it wouldn't fit in the back of the SUV and the luggage has to be piled up on a couple of the seats taking out the back row. The choice is then either Dylan gets wedged into the back row amongst all the luggage, risking a serious injury that would remove him from the story altogether (full body paralysis, a coma story line, perhaps?) or he rides on Sophia's lap.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
San Luis Obispo County Regional Airport, in actuality, has an elevation of 212.3 ft. But thanks to the power of imagination and fictional storytelling, it can be whatever the writer says it is. Thereby giving us another dead horse to beat on our way to update v0.130 nirvana. Ain't life grand! :)

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
San Luis Obispo County Regional Airport, in actuality, has an elevation of 212.3 ft.
Yes, should be 212 ft. Don't know how I ended up at 233... weird.

But thanks to the power of imagination and fictional storytelling, it can be whatever the writer says it is.
Not when the writer is looking for realism.

Thereby giving us another dead horse to beat on our way to update v0.130 nirvana. Ain't life grand! :)
Grand indeed! :)

Reactions: You Don't See Me

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Exactly how many of those are within 20 miles of the coast?

Nope, the trip took 25 minutes. Carl and Patricia showed up a few minutes later because they took a detour (to buy something unimportant)

That is nowhere in the script. The line is "I'm gonna call Steve and he'll be here in a few minutes."

The point I'm making of the travel time is not that it's impossible, the point is that it's such a short trip that running late could not possibly be resolved by taking a four-door sport sedan, no matter its acceleration and horsepower.

I think you mean if they were on the opposite side of the city the trip would be longer? Either way, that's not the point.

The bigger point is, in leading up to the very first question of the game, let Dylan ride on your lap or take separate cars, the contortions L&P went through just to get to that first decision point are kind of astounding.

Now, I will concede the intent of the sports car may have been to paint Carl as such a douche bag that he would deliberately take an unsuitable vehicle on the flimsiest of pretenses. The in-game excuse is that Carl never imagined the kids would be so big. These are his niece and nephew, so he knows their ages. Is that plausible? Maybe ... But it seems more likely that it was a quick and easy way to put Dylan on Sophia's lap.

More plausible would perhaps be one of:
carl: My fault, the SUV is having maintenance this morning and I didn't think to cancel.
This would be kinda douche-like but not a flagrant disregard of others

carl: the car broke down and I had to have it towed to the shop.
cheap and easy, but more plausible perhaps?

Or, my favorite and maybe more comical: The Parkers brought so much luggage that it wouldn't fit in the back of the SUV and the luggage has to be piled up on a couple of the seats taking out the back row. The choice is then either Dylan gets wedged into the back row amongst all the luggage, risking a serious injury that would remove him from the story all together (full body paralysis, a coma story line, perhaps?) or he rides on Sophia's lap.
No idea of the exact distances from the city, but most of them were coastal. Personally I just think that it's more likely he meant 300m, but hasn't bothered to change it because it's inconsequential.

As for 10 minutes, it comes from:
Python:
label mama_lap:
show Dylan-lap 1
s "Well, if Dylan says it's OK for him, it's all the same to me! We also don't want to give you any trouble!"
show Dylan-lap 2
p "Trouble? Don't insult us! Sis, we're family! That's no problem at all! Carl's driver would be here in 10 minutes!"
As for Carl, the sports car and it's plausibility, I don't even play the Intro since we were given the option to skip it. I think it's fair to say with a decision that early in the game, you've pretty much decided you're playing the Dylan route anyway and reconciled how much Suspension of Disbelief you're applying. With the amount of time between releases all routes are going to have issues with plausibility eventually with the amount we dissect details.

Nov 13, 2020
Yes, should be 212 ft. Don't know how I ended up at 233... weird.

Not when the writer is looking for realism.

Grand indeed! :)
Realism in a fictional game? I am a game fan, but there are instances where it doesn't knock on the door of realism, story-wise. It seems to be waiting on the outside hoping for an invitation to enter. And, I'm not even sure how many of us come here to see 'real'. I think we come here to get lost in the moment, to escape reality and, have some fun. It's like reading a 'comic book'. I won't ask it in. I like where it is! :) JMO

Last edited:

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
No idea of the exact distances from the city, but most of them were coastal. Personally I just think that it's more likely he meant 300m, but hasn't bothered to change it because it's inconsequential.
No he didn't mean 300m because Carl specifically says "Oh, and don't panic if you feel like you are getting a little air outside. The airport is 3000 meters above sea level."
So clearly the author intended this to be higher altitude. You wouldn't really notice a difference at 300m that would cause one to panic.
As for 10 minutes, it comes from:
Python:
label mama_lap:
show Dylan-lap 1
s "Well, if Dylan says it's OK for him, it's all the same to me! We also don't want to give you any trouble!"
show Dylan-lap 2
p "Trouble? Don't insult us! Sis, we're family! That's no problem at all! Carl's driver would be here in 10 minutes!"
Ah, in the route not taken you see the specific ten minutes.
... With the amount of time between releases all routes are going to have issues with plausibility eventually with the amount we dissect details.
Agree, we are going to continue to run into plausibility issues all over the place and that will continue because this thread, myself included, are going to continue to dissect everything in between releases.

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
Realism in a fictional game? I am a game fan, but there are instances where it doesn't knock on the door of realism, story-wise. It seems to be waiting on the outside hoping for an invitation to enter. And, I'm not even sure how many of us come here to see 'real'. I think we come here to get lost in the moment, to escape reality and, have some fun. It's like reading a 'comic book'. I won't ask it in. I like where it is! :) JMO
Sure, but a good comic book should be consistent within the rules of its universe, its characters taking action and attempting to resolve inner and external conflicts in a manner consistent with who they have been up to that point without veering off the current trajectory of their evolution.

So, is this trying to be a good comic book? I'd argue it is, and is mostly successful. Just could be stronger in certain areas and rely less on contrivances to get out of writing oneself into a corner.

3.20 star(s) 461 Votes