Old Dog

Formerly 'Old Sea Dog'
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
I'm sorry, I'm not an expert in this field, but who assured you that L&P used only one GFX?
Just from the fact that L&P informed us that it has combined two GFX to work on complex material! Isn't that right? But it does not follow from this that he has not previously used two GFX!
The fact that in the end we do not see a faster release of updates is not evidence of how much GFX it uses. Why it is still slow is a completely different question.
It goes quite a bit deeper than just complex material but that is another story.

Last edited:

Bane71

Apr 21, 2020
This is exactly how I interpreted the message but since I know nothing about GPU's and they are used, I just said to myself that maybe others are right.

I still don't know if it is a possible scenario that he has been using both cards until now as well but without linking them and for this scene he linked them because 24GB ram was not enough. If how understand is correct then the reason why he is slower now could he because he could be working on two PCs, one for rendering one for creation. Since now both GPU are linked to one he is not able to work at the same speed.

Again I know nothing so I won't take any sides.
Not often, but I communicate with L&P, unfortunately in most cases he is laconic, but the communication that we have is enough for me not to believe in this nonsense, about L&P lies, at every step.

Of course, I am a person and I can be wrong about another person, but looking at the forum from the outside, where many accuse a person of constant lies, it looks like paranoia to me.

Everyone, friends, at this point I stop participating in the discussion of this topic.

Dr.SigmundFap

Engaged Member
Apr 23, 2017
I'm sorry, I'm not an expert in this field, but who assured you that L&P used only one GFX?
Just from the fact that L&P informed us that it has combined two GFX to work on complex material! Isn't that right? But it does not follow from this that he has not previously used two GFX!
The fact that in the end we do not see a faster release of updates is not evidence of how much GFX it uses. Why it is still slow is a completely different question.
1632502785634.png

Bane, when you link your GFX they work as a pair or in tandem, as he pointed out here. If he didn't link them, then they work independently. It's highly likely he is using one rig with two GFX. One GFX is for CS and the other is for rendering.

As KillJoys said, it's most likely the CS part that is eating up most of the time. But that is due to how many characters, event locations, placement, etc. But his rendering usually takes 5 or 6 days after his CS percent moves up. If he was using both GFX he could reduce that time even further.

But I do think you're having a "lost in translation" moment.

Reactions: Old Dog

PietruccioTheHilander

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2019
View attachment 1420330

Bane, when you link your GFX they work as a pair or in tandem, as he pointed out here. If he didn't link them, then they work independently. It's highly likely he is using one rig with two GFX. One GFX is for CS and the other is for rendering.

As KillJoys said, it's most likely the CS part that is eating up most of the time. But that is due to how many characters, event locations, placement, etc. But his rendering usually takes 5 or 6 days after his CS percent moves up. If he was using both GFX he could reduce that time even further.

if he used 2 gfx for the render, he couldn't create the scene or am I wrong?
it wouldn't be better to have 2 pc
1 for the scenes and 1 for the render?

Last edited:

Bane71

Apr 21, 2020
View attachment 1420330

Thanks for the clarification, but it's hard for me to understand. There are several factors that hinder me, insufficient technical literacy in this matter and probably an inaccurate translation.
But in any case, thank you.

Dr.SigmundFap

Engaged Member
Apr 23, 2017
if he used 2 gfx for the render, he couldn't create the scene or am I wrong?
it wouldn't be better to have 2 pcs
1 for the scenes and 1 for the render?
It slows down the process for rendering and you could run into program issues with the CS side or both, DAZ issues, and hardware resources problems. That's why it's recommended to either CS first then Render, CS on one rig and render on another, or use an outside source, render farming.

PietruccioTheHilander

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2019
It slows down the process for rendering and you could run into program issues with the CS side or both, DAZ issues and hardware resources. That's why it's recommended to either CS first then Render, CS on one rig and render on another, or use an outside source, render farming.
I wrote wrong, I meant 2 physically separate PC

nexer

Forum Fanatic
Feb 5, 2019
Biker bar was a big scene, 25GB, NVlink bridge was working but DAZ, again :confused: did not recognize NVlink. So couldn't work a scene larger than 24GB.
I don't know if he managed to get it to work.

Old Dog

Formerly 'Old Sea Dog'
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
Biker bar was a big scene, 25GB, NVlink bridge was working but DAZ, again :confused: did not recognize NVlink. So couldn't work a scene larger than 24GB.
I don't know if he managed to get it to work.
Over 24 GB VRAM is a shed load to use and I still doubt that the 2nd card was really needed unless he had large amounts of geometry and textures,still seems like an over kill to me.
That is a massive 48 GB with over 21,000 rendering cores and double the RTX/Tensor cores.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021
Over 24 GB VRAM is a shed load to use and I still doubt that the 2nd card was really needed unless he had large amounts of geometry and textures,still seems like an over kill to me.
That is a massive 48 GB with over 21,000 rendering cores and double the RTX/Tensor cores.
With two cards (without NVLink), Iray sends data to both cards and synchronizes the render so rendering speed becomes close to 2X. Although 3090 feels fast, I would never refuse faster rendering and thus multiple cards.

Bobbos

Jun 27, 2017
The last lie was that (in january) he was going to start rendering much faster because he bought three 3090s, 9 months later we find out he's only using one of those and trying to connect the second one now.
This is not what he did.
Looks like you don't understand what NVLink did in this case.
In his case he had to use NVLink to link two of his GPUs together to increase the usable amount of vram because the 24 GB of VRAM wasn't enough for this scene.
NVLink made it possible to add the vram of two GPUs together to be used for that scene.
To make it a bit more simple, NVLink made it so that those two GPUs acted like one single big one for rendering purposes instead of two separate ones.

Edit:
To explain it a bit more.
If you have three GPUs with 24 GB VRAM each you might think that you have 72 GB of usable VRAM for rendering purposes but that's wrong.
You only have 24 GB because for each card to be able to work on the same scene the same data has to be inside the VRAM of each GPU meaning that if a scene takes up 12.4 GB of VRAM then all three of your GPUs have that 12.4 GB scene in their VRAM and the only way to circumvent that limitation in this case is NVLink.
Disadvantage is that if you only have three 3090s then only the two GPUs linked via NVLink can work on that scene.
You would need four 3090s and two NVLink bridges to be able to use all four GPUs for scenes needing more than 24 GB.

Edit2:
Here is a link to see how much VRAM is roughly needed for Gen 8 figures (tl;dw 14 models 17.8 GB VRAM)
But keep in mind that the scene in the video is very simple so a more complex scene also means higher VRAM usage.

Last edited:

keefer43

Dec 24, 2019
I still believe that Alyssa will have a part to play in solving the Aiden problem.
I have no concrete evidence to support this though
Agreed, Sophia should suck it up and get external help and be able to overcome the Aiden obstacle. She might realize finally how this is progressing and be more assertive. I like the idea of the two of them finding a clever trap for him that will seem he is in control then they spring their own surprise and cause him to back out/quit - maybe permanently. It might need to be a little inventive but that is what L&P is good for. It sound like some good interpersonal activities to bring them closer together.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Poser_Voyeur
Jul 23, 2021
This is not what he did.
Looks like you don't understand what NVLink did in this case.
In his case he had to use NVLink to link two of his GPUs together to increase the usable amount of vram because the 24 GB of VRAM wasn't enough for this scene.
NVLink made it possible to add the vram of two GPUs together to be used for that scene.
To make it a bit more simple, NVLink made it so that those two GPUs acted like one single big one for rendering purposes instead of two separate ones.

Edit:
To explain it a bit more.
If you have three GPUs with 24 GB VRAM each you might think that you have 72 GB of usable VRAM for rendering purposes but that's wrong.
You only have 24 GB because for each card to be able to work on the same scene the same data has to be inside the VRAM of each GPU meaning that if a scene takes up 12.4 GB of VRAM then all three of your GPUs have that 12.4 GB scene in their VRAM and the only way to circumvent that limitation in this case is NVLink.
Disadvantage is that if you only have three 3090s then only the two GPUs linked via NVLink can work on that scene.
You would need four 3090s and two NVLink bridges to be able to use all four GPUs for scenes needing more than 24 GB.
Similar tendency to all over the world. Too eager to criticize but too lazy to fact-check. :rolleyes:

3.20 star(s) 466 Votes