Sabertooth__

Sep 23, 2020
Wasn't the whole point of moving to single-event updates so that people complaining about waiting months for barely any content could download updates approximately every month?
So if the Event is big, what should he do, leave the scene incomplete and stick to releasing updates at approximately the month end. Then continue making the remaining scene for the next month and release it as a separate update.

ancienregimele

Sep 27, 2017
So if the Event is big, what should he do, leave the scene incomplete and stick to releasing updates at approximately the month end. Then continue making the remaining scene for the next month and release it as a separate update.
Yes, leave on a cliff-hanger & people would know there was only another month before "another gripping episode." IMO that would be better than how the 'monthly' updates are (not) working out. Alternatively, he could work faster, (cough), or he could adopt some of the suggestions made in this thread & elsewhere, admittedly also not very likely. New fans here are coming to realise they're in for a very long haul, if they stick with AWAM. 20+ years at the current rate is starting to look too optimistic. L&P's silence on this, where once indignation & scorn could have been expected to be forthcoming, (or at least some comments from the Dev himself), is paradoxically revealing.

Sabertooth__

Sep 23, 2020
Yes, leave on a cliff-hanger & people would know there was only another month before "another gripping episode." IMO that would be better than how the 'monthly' updates are (not) working out. Alternatively, he could work faster, (cough), or he could adopt some of the suggestions made in this thread & elsewhere, admittedly also not very likely. New fans here are coming to realise they're in for a very long haul, if they stick with AWAM. 20+ years at the current rate is starting to look too optimistic. L&P's silence on this, where once indignation & scorn could have been expected to be forthcoming, (or at least some comments from the Dev himself), is paradoxically revealing.
You can't be serious, people already call this game a blue ball simulator, now you want him to leave the events midway and release them, what is the benefit of this, people play this game as an erotic fiction novel not just a novel. This is not a thriller where cliffhangers are actually going to hook you. For the majority of the scenes duration it is all buildup and talking, we all know that many people skip through that always. The scene's erotic half, which is the whole point of playing the scene will still be released in the next update, effectively this takes the same amount of time. What it does is it also reveals and give major spoilers for what will happen in the next section. Secondly playing a single scene in two parts over the course of two months will break the immersion even more and all the buildup would be of waste. Plus i can already see the comments coming of people saying "L&P moved from full day to half day, half day to 1/4th, 1/4th to per event and now he can't even release 1 event per update update, he is just milking, no dev does releases incomplete scenes, things are looking even more grim", all this because people can't even be patient to wait for 1 event anymore.

The update is being developed at the same pace as the the previous one. Last update was 230 renders in 44 days at 5.27 renders per day. In this update he has done 405 renders ( 90% ) in 61 days which is 6.64 renders per day. At this speed the projection falls at 450 renders along with PS and translation in 86-87 days.
Effectively we are getting double the size of the last update in double the time with animations. I don't see this as a loss. Some events are bound to be big in this game, we are already aware of that.

Last edited:

Dr.SigmundFap

Engaged Member
Apr 23, 2017
Wasn't the whole point of moving to single-event updates so that people complaining about waiting months for barely any content could download updates approximately every month?
This was likely supposed to be a small follow-up event from the evening of the PD12 hot tub scene, which he now turned into a major event. And you remember what he said about major events? He did the same back in 2020 or 2021 with Sam then, too, I think.

Major events would take longer than the 2 months of planning for event releases.

ancienregimele

Sep 27, 2017
You can't be serious, people already call this game a blue ball simulator, now you want him to leave the events midway and release them, what is the benefit of this, people play this game as an erotic fiction novel not just a novel. This is not a thriller where cliffhangers are actually going to hook you. For the majority of the scenes duration it is all buildup and talking, we all know that many people skip through that always. The scene's erotic half, which is the whole point of playing the scene will still be released in the next update, effectively this takes the same amount of time. What it does is it also reveals and give major spoilers for what will happen in the next section. Secondly playing a single scene in two parts over the course of two months will break the immersion even more and all the buildup would be of waste. Plus i can already see the comments coming of people saying "L&P moved from full day to half day, half day to 1/4th, 1/4th to per event and now he can't even release 1 event per update update, he is just milking, no dev does releases incomplete scenes, things are looking even more grim", all this because people can't even be patient to wait for 1 event anymore.

The update is being developed at the same pace as the the previous one. Last update was 230 renders in 44 days at 5.27 renders per day. In this update he has done 405 renders ( 90% ) in 61 days which is 6.64 renders per day. At this speed the projection falls at 450 renders along with PS and translation in 86-87 days.
Effectively we are getting double the size of the last update in double the time with animations. I don't see this as a loss. Some events are bound to be big in this game, we are already aware of that.
Immersion is already virtually impossible on the current schedule & it's also a function of too many stories & sub-plots. [My own immersion went long ago]. This is not about the need for proper build-up, or erotic tension, which with previous smoother continuity was already assured. That has all dissipated IMO, because of the disjointed approach caused by 'monthly' updates. My suggestion is, that if disconnect is now a permanent feature & bearing in mind some fans have had nothing in part 2 yet, it would be better to at least have something each month. It might even speed things up. Disjointedness would still be present but there could at least be the expectation of a regular episode.

There is little doubt that the blue-balling would continue. (Some of us are curious about who/what will interrupt Sophia & Sam, because it's certain to happen, "before it goes too far"). Spoilers for what would happen in the next scene/episode would be preferable to several months of fan speculations & would, IMO, act as the hook for anyone interested in a particular story-line. Those who enjoy speculation could focus on the possible mechanics of a scene, rather than a spectrum of endless imaginings, enjoyable though they might be.

Last edited:

SubtleHustle

May 11, 2017
AWAM that can be completed and enjoyed in its entirety before 2030.
Yep, eating ze bugs and not able to get hard due to malnutrition before completion. How old is the Dev? Will he/she "be completed" before the game.

Immersion is already virtually impossible on the current schedule & it's also a function of too many stories & sub-plots. [My own immersion went long ago].
Could you imagine taking a great book or movie reading one chapter or watching one scene and putting it down for three months only to repeat the process. Every time you read the next chapter or watch the next scene you would have to re-read and re-watch everything in the past. That's so cumbersome I'd just say fuck it.

Last edited:

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Considering we're looking at an incomplete game at the current rate, your suggestion might be what's necessary.

It's similar to the sex scene with Aiden/Dre/Jennifer. Was the animation asked for? No. When the update was eventually released, I counted the number of people that thought it was worth the 5 month wait.

Liam has more likes in the Favourite Character poll.

Reactions: PaxHadrian17

Sabertooth__

Sep 23, 2020
Immersion is already virtually impossible on the current schedule & it's also a function of too many stories & sub-plots. [My own immersion went long ago]. This is not about the need for proper build-up, or erotic tension, which with previous smoother continuity was already assured. That has all dissipated IMO, because of the disjointed approach caused by 'monthly' updates. My suggestion is, that if disconnect is now a permanent feature & bearing in mind some fans have had nothing in part 2 yet, it would be better to at least have something each month. It might even speed things up.
Disjointedness would still be present but there could at least be the expectation of a regular episode.
The solution to your problem is to wait a few updates. Let the content for your route accumulate before playing. Even if he was doing the half day or 1/3 day updates you will still have to wait almost the same amount of time for all the scenes. That way you can get your immersion and those who want quick updates get what they want. It's a win win.
Regarding disjointed events or abruptly starting or ending events. This is very interesting thing because the abrupt starting and ending if events has existed from the very beginning of the game. I am not speaking based on assumptions here, anyone can easily go back and open the images folder of the game and see for themselves. How even in the initial days the event would just start, with Sophia already in a new outfit or an instant cut to the next scene. This made me see that L&P necessarily hasn't changed the way he starts or connects scenes. The thing that has changed is that we play one event at a time and then don't open the game for a month and a half. The connection breaks and that is why every new feels disjointed. The thing is clear the longer you watch, read or play something the better the immersion and experience. People have ruined their experience themselves. Those who can wait and play after a bunch of updates are out will definitely enjoy every scene and the playable day far more than us who play a scene at a time.

There is little doubt that the blue-balling would continue. (Some of us are curious about who/what will interrupt Sophia & Sam, because it's certain to happen, "before it goes too far"). Spoilers for what would happen in the next scene/episode would be preferable to several months of fan speculations & would, IMO, act as the hook for any one interested in a particular story-line. Those who enjoy speculation could focus on the possible mechanics of a scene, rather than a spectrum of endless imaginings, enjoyable though they might be.
Several months ? That's just exaggeration, almost all updates have been taking 1.5 months to release. The current Sam update is twice as big and takes 3 months. Effectively still the same amount of content in the same amount of time. Releasing a major chunk of the update with no sexual content, how do you think people will respond, what is the point. One would rather wait and another month, take the completed scene and have the promised sexual content. Also when almost half the scene is released it does not leave room for speculation much. One can predict with a lot of certainty as to what will happen. A month of predictions from so many members on the thread is going to guarantee that the event is predicted. This will ruin the second half of the scene. Currently we have still been able to receive surprises from each event as something no one predicted happened. Atleast that is fun, that will change with breaking down individual scenes into many updates.

Frankly there is no end to this. Next we will hear people say release weekly 50 renders as they are completed so we can play and it will create more hype and speculation. This is all rubbish and I'd rather be patient enough to wait for a complete scene than just incomplete ones.
Considering we're looking at an incomplete game at the current rate, your suggestion might be what's necessary.

It's similar to the sex scene with Aiden/Dre/Jennifer. Was the animation asked for? No. When the update was eventually released, I counted the number of people that thought it was worth the 5 month wait.

Liam has more likes in the Favourite Character poll.
L&P had to include animations at some point. Whenever he did that it would have taken extra time. He had to himself learn blender, find and engage people, test them, coordinate with them. Whether you invest those 5 month now or in future doesn't matter if they have to be invested anyways.
L&P has not felt the need to explain why Andre Aiden Jennifer animation. My common sense tells me that in his place i too would like to test the animator and have make a few animations for my game and see people response to whether the animation is good or not. He also definitely wouldn't want to hand over his prized model of Sophia to any random person. Who better than a few side characters. This is my speculation on it.

Last edited:

ancienregimele

Sep 27, 2017
Could you imagine taking a great book or movie reading one chapter or watching one scene and putting it down for three months only to repeat the process. Every time you read the next chapter or watch the next scene you would have to re-read and re-watch everything in the past. That's so cumbersome I'd just say fuck it.
That's a part of the point I was trying to make. Characters & storylines already disappear for years at a time, e.g. Alyssa, Bennett....when were they last seen? Aiden's not due back for 5 years, i.e. 2 days in San Alejo time. (How many fans of the blackmail route think we'll ever see him again, I wonder?). Even Patricia & Ellie are beginning to feel like distant memories. Jason & Haru are returning 'soon' on PD14, so only another couple of years to go, in theory, by which time they will have been absent for 6 years. Does everybody remember who they are without replaying the early chapters? This whole saga is already cumbersome & the way it is right now only seems to foreshadow a further deterioration.

I've pointed out several times, that by the time this story is due to finish, it will be a "period drama" of the 20 tens. There could be young fans in the 2050s thinking how odd the clothes, cars & everyday interactions & artefacts seem.

There's no real chance of the Dev changing anything, nor is there an easy answer, even if L&P listened, read this, or bothered with any of it. I am convinced, however, that a rethink is required, if the long-term viability, (& I emphasise "long") of AWAM is to be preserved.

If anybody has better ideas, now might be a good time....& please don't mention a dedicated team, sub-contracting in any form, or cutting back on duplicate storylines or characters. (These have all been trawled, discussed & we know they'll never happen). Otherwise things will carry on as they are, (or slow down again) & of course if fans are happy, or at least content with this, perhaps the current production system is indeed fit for purpose.

As regarding picking up a book after 3 months (or sometimes much more), I've been known to do this without needing to re-read it, though I'll concede it does interrupt a story's flow. It's better to have a shorter period of time between chapters. My suggestion wouldn't solve the disjointedness of AWAM but it would ensure a steady supply of updates. After 5 years of this, I'd settle for that.

Last edited:

ancienregimele

Sep 27, 2017
The solution to your problem is to wait a few updates. Let the content for your route accumulate before playing. Even if he was doing the half day or 1/3 day updates you will still have to wait almost the same amount of time for all the scenes. That way you can get your immersion and those who want quick updates get what they want. It's a win win.
Regarding disjointed events or abruptly starting or ending events. This is very interesting thing because the abrupt starting and ending if events has existed from the very beginning of the game. I am not speaking based on assumptions here, anyone can easily go back and open the images folder of the game and see for themselves. How even in the initial days the event would just start, with Sophia already in a new outfit or an instant cut to the next scene. This made me see that L&P necessarily hasn't changed the way he starts or connects scenes. The thing that has changed is that we play one event at a time and then don't open the game for a month and a half. The connection breaks and that is why every new feels disjointed. The thing is clear the longer you watch, read or play something the better the immersion and experience. People have ruined their experience themselves. Those who can wait and play after a bunch of updates are out will definitely enjoy every scene and the playable day far more than us who play a scene at a time.

Several months ? That's just exaggeration, almost all updates have been taking 1.5 months to release. The current Sam update is twice as big and takes 3 months. Effectively still the same amount of content in the same amount of time. Releasing a major chunk of the update with no sexual content, how do you think people will respond, what is the point. One would rather wait and another month, take the completed scene and have the promised sexual content. Also when almost half the scene is released it does not leave room for speculation much. One and predict with a lot if certainty as to what will happen. A month if predictions from so many members on the thread is going to guarantee that the event is predicted. This will ruin the second half of the scene. Currently we have still been able to receive surprises from each event as something no one predicted happened. Atleast that is fun, that will change with breaking down individual scenes into many updates.

Frankly there is no end to this. Next we will here people say release weekly 50 renders as they are completed so we can play and it will create more hype and speculation. This is all rubbish and I'd rather be patient enough to wait for a complete scene than just incomplete ones.

L&P had to include animations at some point. Whenever he did that it would have taken extra time. He had to himself learn blender, find and engage people, test them, coordinate with them. Whether you invest those 5 month now or in future doesn't matter if they have to be invested anyways.
L&P has not felt the need to explain why Andre Aiden Jennifer animation. My common sense tells me that in his place i too would like to test the animator and have make a few animations for my game and see people response to whether the animation is good or not. He also definitely wouldn't want to hand over his prized model of Sophia to any random person. Who better than a few side characters. This is my speculation on it.
I've played games/VNs with far fewer characters, storylines & complexity than AWAM, where updates were anything up to a year apart. I've waited for the next segment patiently & let the story accumulate. All such games have been deleted by me, because they always ended up in the "can't be bothered with this anymore" category. After all there's 100's of games out there, which at least start off with regular decent-sized updates. Those who know me at all are aware that I am not a young person with a youthful attention span but if something takes too long, I move on. It's not necessarily just a young person's trait.

Quality of renders & intriguing main characters have kept me addicted to AWAM in an "out of character" way. Also I maintain some interest because of curiousity of how this whole project will turn out, as well as what will happen in the various plot-lines. Saving up the accumulated elements of a particular storyline might work but at the current rate of production could take a number of years before there existed a worthwhile playable chunk.

I've avoided playing the last couple of updates & am in two minds whether to download the Sam event, or just find out about it from the comments pages. Such is the result of the lack of immersion, despite having followed the Sam story for a few years.

Speaking of animations, which we all now appreciate are a major delaying factor, whether there's a distinct separate human being involved or not, I'm one of those who never wanted them, or thought them essential. If they're going to be a regular feature, it seems probable that further delays will occur but I'm speaking as someone who plays with the sound off & was originally enthused about the visual novel approach that's now taken a back seat.

As for the fan reaction to a lack of sexual content, we know that PD20 is supposed to be the first real sex act, which is around 12 years in the future. Any fan expecting more than teenage fumblings, groping &/or heavy petting no doubt will very soon learn not to anticipate too much. L&P, though not entirely insensitive to criticism, doesn't seem to have an issue with a lack of full extra-marital sex after 5 years. I don't either, considering that only a few months have passed by in San Alejo. What I do say is that something needs to change with the production schedule.

Last edited:

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
I think part of the problem with AWAM is that the slow development has forced the author to revisit and begin 'rewriting' the beginning of AWAM (his remastering effort). Right now, L&P is taking 'free' time to perform this remaster.

How much development time will be needed to perform the next remaster of the entire part 1 when we are up to PD 17 in 5-6 years?

I suppose developing an AVN this slowly can have some unexpected 'benefits.' Create a new segment of the story (Part 3 or 4 or 5...) when you need to update Renpy because Genesis/Daz/Blender etc. require the new version to get the most from the latest rev's of those software programs and this is the only way to stay competitive 5, 10 and 15 years from now.

I can't speak for others but I avoid about 90% of RPGM VNs now - they are too clunky and fail to tell the story nearly as well as a reasonably skilled Daz/Renpy creator can. There are a few exceptions (like The Genesis Order) but those are rare and require very good story telling and unusual skill with RPGM to stay competitive.

I like the story L&P tells with AWAM but the pacing of development just Kills immersion. If someone wanted to enjoy 4 PDs of immersive play today, they would have to literally walk away from AWAM for more than 7 years (longer than it has been in production to date) just to get those 4 PDs of immersion.

I stopped reading GOT after book 4 because I just got tired of waiting for the next book and I found other entertainment opportunities that I could enjoy with far less energy wasted 'pining' for that next book.

I find I return here to this discussion thread to read the well discerned discussions among a number of long-time contributors to this thread versus to learn about how 'productive' L&P has become.

In a different time, I would have the same disinterest in watching the individual brush strokes of a certain someone painting the walls and ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. I mean - I really don't care which version of cerulean blue is being used for a certain part of the sky. I just want to enjoy the final creation (while I am still alive).

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
(TLDR: Just me fan-girling about Free Pass again)

The latest Free Pass update dropped recently, and I find it telling in that it's also a game in which I skip a good chunk of the content (around 2/3 last I calculated).

The main difference with that game is that while in the last update I might have only had a small amount of content, it's still been more than I've got this entire year waiting for the next event in my playthrough. And Free Pass has been rebooted. Twice.

And worst-case scenario, I only have to wait a month for the next update. But perhaps another year before being able to play the next Ellie event.

3.20 star(s) 461 Votes