ThisIsMe88

May 12, 2018
Guys, what is your deal with this game, because I must be missing something obvious.

I created the perfect woman. She had it all : gorgeous, submissive, fertile, into bondage, heart shaped butt and ass-slut to boot. Everyone and their mother should have been all over her within minutes, yet she got snobbed as fucktoy by 75+% of the NPCs in this game, and even as potential dating candidate.

It looks like the game wants us to grind first "friend" status for hours and then have to do it again for "love". Yeah right, like this is going to happen without some serious incentive (cheat mode doesn't help btw).

What is this crap : some basic dating sim of the last century, buried under 400 MO (!) of compressed HTML/JS pages, with almost no CGs, images or audio to speak of ?

One thing positive about the newer version is that it's way less buggy than some previous ones I tested. Some serious effort also went into making the interface more coherent, and I like the new avatar/clothing system, but where is the gameplay ?

The "life" simulation is reduced to its simplest expression, since all of it is automated (which begs the question of why these features exist in the game to start with) : no cooking, no drinking, no hygiene, no cleaning, just some diseases that even the hospital can't cure. I couldn't find any events worth mentioning while at school or working : not at the office, or even as prostitute. No events while walking or driving around the city. Clothing doesn't seem to matter beyond one aggregated appearance stat : no going commando, for example. The sex simulator is unfinished and largely generic, which isn't promising for when story NPCs will have their scenes eventually.

Even older and "lower budget" games, like ETO/Girl's Life, did a better job at a "life simulation". How and where do you find the enjoyment that keeps you playing/supporting this game ? I genuinely want to understand.

Last edited:

apolloladdie

Aug 5, 2017
Guys, what is your deal with this game, because I must be missing something obvious.

I created the perfect woman. She had it all : gorgeous, submissive, fertile, into bondage, heart shaped butt and ass-slut to boot. Everyone and their mother should have been all over her within minutes, yet she got snobbed as fucktoy by 75+% of the NPCs in this game, and even as potential dating candidate.

It looks like the game wants us to grind first "friend" status for hours and then have to do it again for "love". Yeah right, like this is going to happen without some serious incentive (cheat mode doesn't help btw).

What is this crap : some basic dating sim of the last century, buried under 400 MO (!) of compressed HTML/JS pages, with almost no CGs, images or audio to speak of ?

One thing positive about the newer version is that it's way less buggy than some previous ones I tested. Some serious effort also went into making the interface more coherent, and I like the new avatar/clothing system, but where is the gameplay ?

The "life" simulation is reduced to its simplest expression, since all of it is automated (which begs the question of why these features exist in the game to start with) : no cooking, no drinking, no hygiene, no cleaning, just some diseases that even the hospital can't cure. I couldn't find any events worth mentioning while at school or working : not at the office, or even as prostitute. No events while walking or driving around the city. Clothing doesn't seem to matter beyond one aggregated appearance stat : no going commando, for example. The sex simulator is unfinished and largely generic, which isn't promising for when story NPCs will have their scenes eventually.

Even older and "lower budget" games, like ETO/Girl's Life, did a better job at a "life simulation". How and where do you find the enjoyment that keeps you playing/supporting this game ? I genuinely want to understand.
1st... I love the whole natural impregnation theme. And the push to get pregnant, and have multiple children.

2nd... 13 babies at one time... with 2 uterus's. And when they are born... All 13 are sent to live with their parents (I chose surrogate route).
The game has in depth system for ovulation, and impregnation.
It can tell you how much semen is inside your girl.
With the right perks, it can tell you who it is from.
It can tell you how long your going to be pregnant, and the health of your offspring from zygote to birth.

I look at this game as a proof of concept for menstrual cycle and pregnancies/birth. Could there be a lot more game to it. Yes. Could there be more story. Yes. But all I am looking at right now is the game play mechanics. An in depth story can be crafted later. It is much harder to add extra game play aspects to a large story then it is to add a story to in depth game play.

I don't know if you understand the amount of calculations and variable that had to be taken into account for the system to work. Is it perfect, no... But if you can do better, make a better game. If you can't.... Enjoy the game for what it is. And not for what you want it to be. No one is forcing you to play it.

On top of that... It is just 2 people (I think) working on this... Probably in their spare time... While everything else in life is going on around them... So that gives them maybe a couple hours a day to work on this.

Beggarman

Jan 14, 2018
On top of that... It is just 2 people (I think) working on this... Probably in their spare time... While everything else in life is going on around them... So that gives them maybe a couple hours a day to work on this.
I don't want to sound too harsh, but they're pulling in $5k/mo for this project just on Patreon*. I'll be very surprised if that's not getting at least one person full-time, if not two**. It looks like they do have two people hired full-time for this though, according to Patreon, and a bit of an art budget.

I'm still of the opinion that this game seriously needs to have the option to clamp low/no content bits off, but eh. I like that the last few builds do seem to have added content but I don't think I can be bothered to trudge through to see it yet, especially with how not-my-niche some of it is. Still looking forward to see how it is in a few years.

*idk about subscribestar, it seems to imply about $2k/mo but with an average pledge of $34.48 vs a Patron average of $6.64 which I'm very suspicious of and am convinced either is wrong, or I'm reading it wrong.
**And yeah, I know, taxes, but also variable cost of living. I live somewhere with a relatively high cost of living so am comparing to that. Obviously +/- if they're living somewhere cheaper or raising a family or have a coke debt with Jimmy 9-Fingers.

ohwhatnow

Feb 19, 2019
Some serious effort also went into making the interface more coherent, and I like the new avatar/clothing system, but where is the gameplay ?
How and where do you find the enjoyment that keeps you playing/supporting this game ? I genuinely want to understand.
People supporting different slow/dead games on Patreon or whatever isn't exactly a new thing, go read the Newlife thread if you want to see something even more depressing. At this point I think a lot of the AW traffic are people just periodically checking in to see if it finally got content worth mentioning, then realizing it still isn't there. Even the last few releases have gotten little discussion in this thread and I'm honestly surprised people have been uploading as frequently as they have.

If we talk about "gameplay" then I don't think it's worth mentioning at all. A lot of systems are either placeholder, buggy as hell, or outright missing. It's only been getting noteworthy content in the past few releases, but compared to outdated progress page (go to his site, info, development progress for the chart. I don't think I can post links) seems to be far behind the planned route on top of all of that time on framework related stuff resulting in a still incomplete sandbox experience.

From the perspective of a relatively new outsider to this game, I think a lot of the attention came from excess hype because he made a placeholder UI/character creation tool with no systems to back it up. When the systems were made there was no content to utilize it. When we finally get content it's buggy and sometimes shallow. On top of all that, the dev puts himself out there as an experienced IT dude who knows project management and all that crap that would appeal to people jaded by Patreon abuse (I never expected something to surpass Kickstarter for crowdfund abuse, but...). Edit: To clarify, I think people were enamored with the promises and potential seen in those things and have been eating a dose of reality since then.

Despite all of that, it's hard not to be optimistic. Updates are actually regular, the changelog is decently filled, and the slow progress still far exceeds other games (*cough* Newlife *cough*). While I find some of the content disappointing relative to the potential of the game, the dev does seem to be genuinely interested in making his world and writing for the game (compare this to the last few month's worth of discussion for Lilith's Throne). Some of the content that is there is actually pretty awesome. The female start in particular is a pretty sweet text dump and I really found the attention to detail in things like the shell terminal segment to novel, interesting, and fun as hell.

It's up to people to decide what they want to support and stuff, but personally I don't think this is the worst choice of a game. I just don't think people should be dwelling on it either. It's very a much a check back in a few months kind of game.

At some point I remember he used to (still does?) compile reports of all of his logged hours working on the game and related stuff with a visual breakdown on where is time went. IIRC it was close to full time, probably related to his claim of having a day job that gives him a lot of time to work on the game. He talks about it quite a lot in his dev blog, but it's been so long since I've seen one of those and I have no idea where they vanished to. His site is a bit of a mess and a lot of the stuff is outdated.

Similarly, the other person (Besty?) was hired on. I don't remember how many hours specifically. The changelogs would suggest more than a few a week, but it's hard to verify anything given the state of the game. Some of the recent bug fixes and logs have also had Thaumx pointing fingers at Besty for issues which is kind of a dick move. If someone else wants to go digging around I would highly suggest looking into the dev blog.

Edit: I think the last time report was from "The Hanging Out Release" v0.21.0 in their dev blog. Here's the summary images since new account and stuff.

21-0-Thaum.png

21-0-Besty.png

How much of this stuff is true? I don't know, but I do think the game is holding up better than a lot of the other projects I watch even with these issues.

Last edited:

apolloladdie

Aug 5, 2017
I don't want to sound too harsh, but they're pulling in $5k/mo for this project just on Patreon*. I'll be very surprised if that's not getting at least one person full-time, if not two**. It looks like they do have two people hired full-time for this though, according to Patreon, and a bit of an art budget.
Not ragging on your or anything... With a 6 person family, a mortgage, car payments, HOA dues, electicity, phone, gas, etc. 5k after taxes... in the NC research triangle area is really not that much :( And that my friend is truly disappointing.

carter111

Jul 26, 2017
Not ragging on your or anything... With a 6 person family, a mortgage, car payments, HOA dues, electicity, phone, gas, etc. 5k after taxes... in the NC research triangle area is really not that much :( And that my friend is truly disappointing.

i feel you, i have 10 kids, live in a 6 star hotel in hawaii, and the donations i make to the queen of england its really hard to make ends meet... /s

seriously tho this guys job can be made from home he does not deserves more money because of where he lives.. u have to match your lifestyle to your salary not the other way around

Last edited:

-KC-

got land?
Modder
Donor
Compressor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2019
The developer's hiring practices and income are irrelevant here as we are a pirate site. If you are a patron and are unhappy take it up with the dev on his Patreon page. Please keep this thread on topic discussing gameplay, story, art etc...

DaBouncer

Jan 24, 2020
So I have 0.30.0, no cheats version, first week still, and noticed that my vigor is at a constant 0-very low state. How do I control vigor so my character isn't always tired as fuck?

chiyochan

Jul 12, 2019
So I have 0.30.0, no cheats version, first week still, and noticed that my vigor is at a constant 0-very low state. How do I control vigor so my character isn't always tired as fuck?
Sounds like a bug because I am running the newer one and loading via loading from disk and I dont get that.

ohwhatnow

Feb 19, 2019
You can also drink coffee for a bit of vigor (there seems to be no difference between the broken coffee machine and the expensive one in terms of vigor gain). When I tested it taking a nap did not seem to help. Watch the status change records on the character menu if you haven't already.

Gatarrash

Feb 13, 2018
So any one knows what to do if the game tells you, that a function call needs to be added to start the sex scene? Seen this being asked but not answer yet.

Yorekani

Dec 12, 2019
So any one knows what to do if the game tells you, that a function call needs to be added to start the sex scene? Seen this being asked but not answer yet.
That probably means it's [not implemented] yet. Some instances of this have been made functional according to the changelog, but not all of them. I would've preferred seeing another "[not implemented]" instead of an error message, because it is more clean and unambiguous in telling the user to check it out in later versions again.

GothC

Oct 14, 2018
can't save the game anymore, just giving me errors. anyone else getting same thing? how to fix it?

2.20 star(s) 57 Votes