Deleted member 795684

Aug 2, 2018
Just a thought: I remember reading many messages (in earlier pages) about why this game was called 'Acting Lessons'. To this date, it still doesn't make sense to name the game after one small segment.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Even though it would fit. I usually don't like the endings with ''None of them were real''.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw: What happens if you ignore all the girls as much as you are able to and just focus on Leah? Wouldn't it be weird with Episode 7's ending?

ijako3

Sep 6, 2017
Even though it would fit. I usually don't like the endings with ''None of them were real''.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw: What happens if you ignore all the girls as much as you are able to and just focus on Leah? Wouldn't it be weird with Episode 7's ending?
That's the problem with a big amount of choices being in the game and then having forced events that just feel weird and out of place, because story is already written.
Hopefully Dev will do it better in his second game and manage overall everything better to not feel weird and out of place in certain situations.

You know like for me one example - My MC don't give a f about Leah for the whole game and then you have forced event that makes MC look like he gave a f about Leah for the whole game and is going to her house, conversations between them look weird and overall stuff feel weird.
I have a choice to go back to my loved one and just get some comfort together that both really need after all these dramatic events, then i met a person that i ditched, dont give a damn to just appear and - Okay, im going with her.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
That's the problem with a big amount of choices being in the game and then having forced events that just feel weird and out of place, because story is already written.
Hopefully Dev will do it better in his second game and manage overall everything better to not feel weird and out of place in certain situations.

You know like for me one example - My MC don't give a f about Leah for the whole game and then you have forced event that makes MC look like he gave a f about Leah for the whole game and is going to her house, conversations between them look weird and overall stuff feel weird.
I have a choice to go back to my loved one and just get some comfort together that both really need after all these dramatic events, then i met a person that i ditched, dont give a damn to just appear and - Okay, im going with her.
Episode 7 certainly did feel forced, but let's not jump the gun quite yet.
Since you've added 60 pages of commentary simply discussing the pros and cons of Chapter 7, the penultimate chapter, perhaps you could add a few dozen more ruminating over the information following.
Whether you see it as good or ill, Acting Lessons has been a roller coaster ride. Pink has attempted something different and, while some here judge it by personal expectations, almost everyone agrees it was surprising.
If you liked the surprise (but not always the result), consider supporting Pink's efforts to extend past common tropes and stereotypical games. Pink and all of us can learn and grow together!

Status update Episode 8
First off, having a second PC is a dream for me as a dev. You have no idea how much it is helping me. It makes me feel less stressed and boy does it pump out renders. I started rendering Episode 8 a couple of days ago. So far the result is:
119 renders completed
1 animation completed (in 4 hours from now)

Some info regarding Episode 8:

This is it. It is time to create the grand finale. The episode will be a big one, in terms of script and renders. I haven't got the feeling of how a single playthrough will feel yet, but that is the curse of branching; which I'm sure you experienced with Episode 7. Slicing a story into 3 parallel parts makes it feel shorter, but the workload behind it is the same as for a non-branching episode. I knew this going in and that's why I chose to stay close to the main branch for Episodes 1-6.

Thus far, I have written almost 3000 lines of code, which is mostly dialogue and I have a so much left to write that I struggle to even estimate the total length of the script. As you know, there will be 22 endings, but depending on your choices from Ep1-Ep7 the entire Episode can be seen as a giant ending, from start to finish you will see the consequences of your choices.

Cheers and have a nice weekend!

Dr PinkCake
As to the Leah scene

ijako3

Sep 6, 2017
Episode 7 certainly did feel forced, but let's not jump the gun quite yet.
As to the Leah scene
Yeah i read the patreon post, btw the lady from the preview picture probably will be my favorite in the next game when it comes to model. She looks older, i wonder if she's a teacher? Hope she will never use word 'Sweetie', tho.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah i read the patreon post, btw the lady from the preview picture probably will be my favorite in the next game when it comes to model. She looks older, i wonder if she's a teacher? Hope she will never use word 'Sweetie', tho.
With the way most VN's depict older women as having huge boobs... probably a teacher, yeah. I have a preference for the blonde Maya from the preview renders, but personality will decide my favorite xD. The one that worries me is the red head...

Reactions: PHANTOM44

ijako3

Sep 6, 2017
With the way most VN's depict older women as having huge boobs... probably a teacher, yeah. I have a preference for the blonde Maya from the preview renders, but personality will decide my favorite XD. The one that worries me is the red head...
Tbh, i just saw that her boobs are really big when you mentioned it. ^^ I hope that they won't look too big like godzillas in certain situations, not really my thing.
And about red heads, yeah.. I wonder if patreons would vote the same after episodes 6 and 7 for her model.
I think in one of her previews she had a guitar in her room, she probably writes indie songs about love and death. :p

Reactions: Enyos

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
Tbh, i just saw that her boobs are really big when you mentioned it. ^^ I hope that they won't look too big like godzillas in certain situations, not really my thing.
And about red heads, yeah.. I wonder if patreons would vote the same after episodes 6 and 7 for her model.
I think in one of her previews she had a guitar in her room, she probably writes indie songs about love and death. :p
Agreed! Big plastic boobs just reminds me of my older sister... From the few renders previewed though, at least he did a good job of making Isabelle's look natural. And, Quit talking smack about my teenage grunge phase! :p

C.M.Cas

Shameless Dev
Game Developer
Mar 18, 2018
I have to say, i come for the fap and stayed for the story. What a great, and tagic, story! All this years of VN, only 3 storys , now 4, have this impact. Great game, congrats to the dev.

Reactions: Enyos and Haise01

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018

Although I didnt try, I thought you are forced to start dating Megan regardless. You gotta go with Liam to that club. It wouldnt be too weird because the story is pretty linear and Leah finds plenty of things she doesnt like on the predetermined parts.

You could not give a damn about her romantically, but shes not really a nobody to the MC. She was the nurse during his coma. She helped him get Megans number. She is Liams nurse. I agree its a little far fetched to go to her place, but not impossible to understand it, given his state of mind.

Deleted member 795684

Aug 2, 2018
Although I didnt try, I thought you are forced to start dating Megan regardless. You gotta go with Liam to that club. It wouldnt be too weird because the story is pretty linear and Leah finds plenty of things she doesnt like on the predetermined parts.
But if you keep avoid all the choisable things, reveal of the episoder 7 loses it's affect more and more I think.

ijako3

Sep 6, 2017
You could not give a damn about her romantically, but shes not really a nobody to the MC. She was the nurse during his coma. She helped him get Megans number. She is Liams nurse. I agree its a little far fetched to go to her place, but not impossible to understand it, given his state of mind.
In my opinion choice should be there aswell.
Or overall scene should be different, something like - If you're not on Leah path, didn't really do any stuff with her

The same outcome but choices felt more meaningful.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
The problem is not whether there were hints about Leah's instability or not. For all we know, Leah could've just been a psycho chick that MC banged. The problem is that there was no hint there was supposed to be a villain in the game. A simple consistent scene where MC felt like he was repeatedly being watched would've sufficed to give a hint that "hey, there's somebody watching us". But there was nothing like that to suggest the existence of a villain in the game.

I'm not saying that the plot was written on the fly. What I'm saying is that the game took a sudden turn at a certain point which seemed to be inconsistent with what it was before.

This so much. The twist didn't work at all because of how the game was being presented.
Yea.. I guess I understand the gripe that some people have. The plot summary could have done better to prepared the more emotionally liable individuals for the depressing shit. The downturns certainly pile up gradually for someone to notice right away that the game might be quite a bit heavier than the first couple chapters would have you believe. Though I think 80% of the people that are complaining about the plot development would still be up in arms about it even if the tags/summary was done better.

The VN, as presented, is about the ups and downs of the characters lives. The death is a means to create a very big down, rather than some kind of mystery for the player to solve.

B-52reloaded

Aug 25, 2018
Has anyone noticed that the nicely rendered passenger on the street at night (whilst the MC was in the car) was the same nurse who (luckily?) gave Liam the (right?) treatment when he was with Rena at his chemo?? Any meaning to this??

Reactions: Nerdyguy31

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
Yep, i put it in spoiler now. Don't know really anymore because half people use spoilers, the other half not.
I know, it's just better safe than sorry, didn't mean to pick on you personally. It just really gave away a big part of the update. I know there's still some people who have been too busy to check it out yet, and might be gauging the thread for reactions, without spoilers. :p

Vordertur

Jul 21, 2017
I'm willing to be surprised, but honestly, any kind of ending that says all the rest wasn't real, or was a dream is probably even worse than the story as it is if the surviving girl can't stand the feeling of guilt and suicides, while Liam dies of cancer in the next episode. I mean, the darkest most unpleasant and unpleasing ending imaginable would still be better than that unimaginative cop-out bullshine.

Come on guys, at least think before some of these ideas.

If this were all a dream within the original coma then he is imagining the very existence of Melissa and Rena, whom he never met until after recovering and getting to know Megan. He doesn't even meet Leah until coming out of the coma.

If this were a delusion from going into madness at the death of the girl in the fire, then Liam already has cancer that isn't responding to treatment, and a girl he loved already died in the fire to cause the delusion.

If it is an act, well, how come he never did acting in his life before meeting Megan and her sweetalking him into it? That would make the entire story a part of the fiction, including himself and his experience prior to the 'act'. He wouldn't be a retired stockbroker who met a girl, but an actor, and again, none of the characters would be real, this time including Liam (the friend of the now fictional stockbroker who is really an actor).

This is why it is always best to stick to what you know. Just like any other form of lying, the best fiction is that based on truth. The further you deviate from things you actually know about from experience, the more likely you've left massive holes in the story that don't make sense.

Plots don't have to be extreme to be entertaining. In fact, going for extreme stories (and dark ones) is one of the tell-tale signs of a newbie storyteller. The parts of this story that make it good are almost entirely based on observation of truth and real life. We identify with Liam because we all have experienced at least one friend like him in some way, and that original scene with Liam in the bar saying "Drink! Drink! Drink" reminded us of a real person.

Every flaw in this storyline has been where it tried to go dark.

The robbery at the start that was so brief, detail-less, and meaningless none of us took it as a sign that the storyline would have more (as someone told me Doc expected). It had no pacing, no suspense, no depth, and thus, no meaning apart from some way to bring two strangers together with a common event.

Dick came across as some petty dick. So when he later is showing a few signs that he's actually abusive and dangerous, again, it was thrown away and his lack of depth meant we saw him as no real threat.

When we confront Peter, somehow our character is utterly unmoved by Peter flashing that gun, so that you may have even chosen to beat the crap out of him, taking on an armed bad-guy because he called our buddy names...

Seriously, every single one of those dark events was so poorly handled, the characters so flat and meaningless... Not a shred of the clever writing and pacing the author has for conversations with Liam. None of the clever borrowing from movies to set up scenes like the transition where Liam is saying he's a responsible driver, and the very next second we see him speeding like a lunatic, huge grin on his face, and the wonderful varied reactions of all the others in the car.

Doc writes great characters, and great slice of life scenes.

He handles Liam's cancer, unpleasant as it is, wonderfully well, over time. He foreshadows even the selling of Liam's stuff with Liam not letting people into his apartment (twice) with time for that to sink in, time for you to wonder. The same with Liam revealing he has cancer in the first place - there's good pacing between the scene where he's told he's not responding to drugs, a scene later where we know he has something to tell the MC but defers it, and later, well paced, the final discussion at the lakeside.

Now compare that to any of the violent stuff. There he has no pacing at all, no build-up, and so ultimately, the events have no weight.
Hit the nail on the head.

There's just such a big gulf in quality between the sort of "character moments" and the "big, dramatic stuff" that it's jarring. It leads to this weird, fundamental disconnect that leaves you wondering just what the whole work is actually trying to be.

There's nothing wrong with trying to blend light-hearted, humorous moments in the same work as more hard-hitting stuff, but it's not something that's easily done and if it's not done well, some people will notice. And what's especially disheartening about the whole thing is that there are those of us going "Well, he actually knows how to write." He does "character moments" really well. Just about everyone agrees that Liam is THE example of how you write a BFF character. He's goofy, he's strangely charming, he's loyal to a fault, and any flaws he may have are pretty easily forgiven because the man has your character's back through thick and thin.

But then, yeah, things start to look like an episode of The Young and the Restless, because of this... need to have "big, dramatic stuff" which - and again, you called it - seems to be a trap that a lot of people fall into. This feeling that something has to happen. That you need some kind of conflict, because character moments aren't enough to make a piece work, so when in doubt, kill someone off, or put in an explosion or whatever. But it's a cheap gimmick, and often times, even the best, most experienced writers can't pull it off in a way that doesn't make it feel like a cheap gimmick.

4.60 star(s) 810 Votes