Rook2099

Oct 18, 2018
In regarding to the main problem that people concern themselves with it is for choice meaning nothing with regard to the redhead. Can play relation perfect and still get fucked in way that is not good. Also, after 7 no choice at all and choice in 7 is very limiting, so final large choice in game is in house at end of 6, but big part of game will have no choice. Also question remain how important choice will be. Most choice in game so far have little effectiveness. I am expecting that most choice will be tiny variation in one of three main ending path, if even so much. For example:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
Great points! And I can definitely hop on board with most of those possibilities. It's certainly not "instant gratification" choices that play out in the last 2 episodes, but more subtle results from earlier experiences, and will likely be just 3-4 main endings with variations thereof. However, it's more of a novel and less sandbox than it appeared through the first 6 episodes (another divisive element since things aren't what they seemed). It calls to mind some of the old R.L. Stine 'Goosebumps' stories I read in elementary, where your choices are there, but were still limited.

Last edited:

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
In regarding to the main problem that people concern themselves with it is for choice meaning nothing with regard to the redhead. Can play relation perfect and still get fucked in way that is not good. Also, after 7 no choice at all and choice in 7 is very limiting, so final large choice in game is in house at end of 6, but big part of game will have no choice. Also question remain how important choice will be. Most choice in game so far have little effectiveness. I am expecting that most choice will be tiny variation in one of three main ending path, if even so much. For example:

The lack of agency and meaningful choice is, to a very real extent, more of a feature of this game than a bug. Doc made it pretty clear all along that he came up with the entire story he wanted to tell, and built the whole game to tell it. It was never a sandbox game, or one where the dev's primary purpose was to allow you to create your own story.

Even before the revelations of episodes 5 and 6 onward, people had already often noted and commented on the fact the story was firmly railroaded, and you had no real choice regarding your relationship with Megan other than how loyal to it you'd be. If you go back to the earliest pages of the game discussion you can already see people noting the lack of choice regarding Megan. It was always a feature of the game, by design.

It takes an awful lot of thought and effort to tell a story as a whole where the player could choose to change the cast of that story through their choices of who to include or exclude. That's why most of the more sandbox oriented games have separate storylines for various choices, and the central storyline is less dependent on which characters you dated other than in mere reference and mention. It's not necessarily a bad thing or a weakness for a developer/writer to choose to go with a railroaded story and put the time and thought into depth of story rather than breadth of possibilities. It's simply that usually that extra depth goes into the fact that if you know where a story is going, it's so much easier to properly foreshadow events well.

Reactions: Versidius and Enyos

momoedor

Nov 21, 2018
Sorry for my ignorance, but can someone please explain how these ren'py games work on android phones, exactly? What kind of interaction is there on the sex scenes, you can choose poses, etc? Are they still images or animations? Do all these games work the same way? (There are many good rated games like this, but all of them are so big, 500mb+!). Thanks!

TNT3

Sep 1, 2017
i dont know anything about choices but well i think this is a brilliant fantastic novel it read like a good book with visuals and some choices but what a way to go love it

Reactions: Enyos

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
He's saying that by playing with saves you can have one version where you save one, and one where you save the other, so as a player saving both in that way.

Of course, the reality is that whichever you save, they are permanently scarred by not just losing a friend, but being a part of the reason that the friend was not the one saved, so in that respect, you can't save either of them.
Yup. Saw that one coming. I have multiple saves so I can play both results through, because like the MC, I can't really pick between the two either.

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
It still feels like what mass effect 3 did. Had a crap ton of choices but at a certain point no matter what you picked you were still left with choosing either A, B, or C for your ending essentially making the rest of the choices mean nothing. Exactly the same situation we are in now. If you really want to force kill off a main character...don't let the player choose it. Let is be the result of previous choices you made in the game, then it at least feels like your choices are shaping the story not just picking who lives and dies at a specific point.

Last edited:

jowishg

Yare yare dawa (ง •̀_•́)ง
Donor
May 6, 2018
is the next update coming soon ? Cuz I wanna try this game but i don't want to download 3gb if the next version comes tomorrow lol thx

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
If in saying bold, then you mean stupid, I agree.
I think we've had enough of that attitude from certain people defending the game and accusing anyone not liking it of being shallow or stupid.

I know from reading your earlier posts that you believe, as I do, that it isn't that those things happened, but how they were written, that is what we are criticising.

An adult game is an adult game if it has even one adult scene. I felt this game had plenty of adult content, if you made choices in that direction.
Not just doing the over-used trope of stuffing in extra sex scenes, or worse, the on-demand shower/bed dreamscenes is a choice, and not a stupid one. I'm not sure I'd call it bold either, to be fair, but not giving in to demands from some for endless shallow/superfluous lewds isn't a bad decision at all.

And for whatever reason, we know that the fire scene was always a part of the basic plot idea that the rest of the game was created to make happen. Doc had a story to tell, and since this wasn't avoidable, and came right at the end of the meaningful choices on branching, you know it was a central point of it.

Sometimes characters die in stories because it is a part of the journey. Obi-Wan in the duel with Darth Vader, for one example (despite the ghost thing). Someone in your immediate family in every revenge story ever. In a lot of traditional Chinese stories, the MC himself will often die at the end - such as in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - because their culture is rich in the tradition of heroic sacrifice. Sometimes they even have to die at your hands, in a fight you'd have loved to avoid but couldn't.

So, the story element and decision to use it isn't 'stupid' at all. It just wasn't written as well as in most of the successful stories. At least we are getting a sense of weight in the aftermath,
It just could have done with better pacing and some foreshadowing. It just needed a little more fine-tuning to be the intended "OMG" instead of the actual "WTF", in my opinion. I gave plenty of examples earlier for that, so won't repeat them.

Last edited:

N7

セブン
Staff member
Donor
Apr 5, 2017

Happy Holidays, everyone!
1080p and 4k wallpaper free for every Acting Lessons fan! Thank you for the support!
Find a NSFW version of this wallpaper on the Discord. .
Cheers
Dr PinkCake

missy01_4k.jpg missy02_4k.jpg

4.60 star(s) 810 Votes