asus

Feb 11, 2018
It is already states as final episode.
thats suck man i really do enjoy the game . maybe the reason also finishing the game less people now supporting the patreon
because thiers still many way to continue the story like put some plot twist on it like the mc dindt choose and got burned will be alive been kidnap like that

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
thats suck man i really do enjoy the game . maybe the reason also finishing the game less people now supporting the patreon
because thiers still many way to continue the story like put some plot twist on it like the mc dindt choose and got burned will be alive been kidnap like that
He wrote out the entire story before the first render was made. It was always meant to go this route, and is a Visual Novel, instead of a sandbox game that drones on with rehashed stories diluting the future. If you like it that much, perhaps you'll enjoy his next work, BADIK, as well since it's another drama, under different settings and with a new cast. :)

(He's only down 6 patrons from his high before the last episode)

Last edited:

SolarEclipsed

I may be wrong it happened once.
Donor
Nov 6, 2017
It has always been 8 episodes from when I joined at 3. Maybe from the beginning not sure.

asus

Feb 11, 2018
He wrote out the entire story before the first render was made. It was always meant to go this route, and is a Visual Novel, instead of a sandbox game that drones on with rehashed stories diluting the future. If you like it that much, perhaps you'll enjoy his next work, BADIK, as well since it's another drama, under different settings and with a new cast. :)

(He's only down 6 patrons from his high before the last episode)
well i hope he got more because he deserve it , the story , the comedy and dont forget the love scene = perfect

Reactions: Enyos

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
well ill try to advertise his game so he can get more pat. at least i can help cause he deserve it
Well, it's good to see that you try to help in your own way. :)

Some claim to be helping, but only do harm by talking it down and running people away before they give it a try. Actions count as much or more than dialogue, because "a picture is worth a thousand words". There's little doubt that the author could have written a very detailed novel with the time invested, but he put the work into renders to let those set the scene and not let the descriptions water down the image and tire your eyes. This is a unique story, and I doubt there'll be another that'll move people with the same impact. I'm glad he could share this with us. :)

griffor

Aug 14, 2016
so i guess someone has to die in the fire no matter what... i honestly couldn't choose and just exited the game i guess i'm just not expecting to have to make such a heart wrenching choice, but after looking through a few pages here and the walk-through for help i found none and now i'm scared to finish the game, because i don't wanna lose anyone i grew so attached to. still a great game just kinda took me by surprise with how connected i really was to some pixels on a screen.

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
so i guess someone has to die in the fire no matter what... i honestly couldn't choose and just exited the game i guess i'm just not expecting to have to make such a heart wrenching choice, but after looking through a few pages here and the walk-through for help i found none and now i'm scared to finish the game, because i don't wanna lose anyone i grew so attached to. still a great game just kinda took me by surprise with how connected i really was to some pixels on a screen.
The Dev has 2 computers rendering overtime right now to complete the last episode ASAP. He's got all of us in suspense, because of what happened, and what "might" happen in the finale. There's going to be 22 different endings based on the choices made throughout the entire novel, but there was only saving one, when he wrote the story many months ago.

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
Some claim to be helping, but only do harm by talking it down and running people away before they give it a try.
Now, this reply isn't actually to you. Throughout the entire thread you've had a completely closed mind, and you will like a post that says "Dis so gud" while dismissively using straw-man arguments against people giving detailed and well reasoned balanced reviews. This reply is to others who saw the post and might actually be able to consider a counterpoint.
well i hope he got more because he deserve it , the story , the comedy and dont forget the love scene = perfect
So, this game is perfect. Perfect means, quite literally, beyond improvement. In saying AL is perfect, you are literally and explicitly stating that Doc's next game BADIK cannot be better and won't be better. Anyone who liked the first half of this game, or liked aspects of it, and wants to see what he learns and improves in his next game has just been told that he'll have learned and improved nothing.

Also, if his next game is better, how are you going to express that, given that you've already stated this one is perfect? Your compliment on his next game will be that much hot air, without depth of meaning. Oh that guy? He just says anything I produce is perfect.
And the question that has been in turn poised (unanswered) has been, "Would it still have had that emotional impact if there had been a thriller tag or more obvious foreshadowing?", or "How could it have been alluded to better without giving it away?".
That is exactly the kind of dismissive nonsense that made me rate this discussion thread a whole star lower than I rate the game. Fact is many answered this question, and I know I did at least 3 times.

The Usual Suspects - great movie. Opens with the scene of the bodies being fished out of the harbour. You know exactly what massive disaster is going to occur. You also know from the way the movie has been advertised and presented that it is a crime thriller. Do you think that hurt the emotional impact? Or did you notice that it enhanced it, by adding to the amount of time you could sense this impending scene of carnage. Anticipation is always more than half of the sensation and emotion of anything - partly because the anticipation of an event can always last so very much longer.

Pulp Fiction - great movie for those able to handle the deconstruction of the story into small scenes shown out of chronological order. It opens with Ringo and HoneyBunny talking to each other as a lusty loving couple before robbing the diner as cold hard killers. It instantly tells you the tone of the movie, the playfulness of characterisations, and that the dialogue is not going to be your typical fare that simply moves the story but otherwise adds nothing.

I can keep going for pretty much ever, given how many good movies there are, and how pretty much all of them use the opening scene to set the tone, and about half of the great movies also use it to foreshadow later events, just as Pulp Fiction or The Usual Suspects do.

Many of the posters above would disagree about it being well written... They've said repeatedly since the end of episode 6, that it's horrible garbage.
That small-minded booleanist straw-man again. People have criticised parts of the story mostly while at the exact same time saying how well they thought the first 5 episodes were done. How many posts can anyone find where people said everything was garbage. Most of the critiques I've read have been balanced and thoughtful. Often they don't say what should have been done, or how others should think, but rather explain quite reasonably how they felt, and how the story touched them.

Then on the other side of the debate, there's...
I can understand those that were upset by the change in tone for their own fap happy reasons, but it's not due to bad writing (we all have different tastes and desires). It's due to the unexpected that takes away what you thought that you had worked for and earned.
You don't agree with him then you are Fap-happy. The writing is perfect (note, without explanation or example), and thankfully good old Enyos is here to tell you why you think as well as what to think...

Or, you know, think for yourself, which seems to have mostly been the message of those who present their critique and invite you to make your own mind up.

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
Unfortunately not everyone takes criticism well, no matter how thoughtfully and constructively is is presented. There has been far too much dismissal of valid criticisms with claims by the moronic that all critics merely wanted a fap and can't handle feelings. Ironic, since the ones who cannot handle or express the subtleties of mixed feelings are the idiots making such statements.

I have both praised and criticised the game. Because it has very good parts, and it has parts that could use a lot of improvement. But there are a noticeably loud and sizeable faction visible throughout the discussion that seem to believe anyone not absolutely and purely praising the game and it's author are either not understanding nuance and fine points, not being reasonable, or can't handle feelings. Sadly, they alone can't see the irony and hypocrisy in that.

I rated the game 4 stars of 5, and haven't changed that rating.

I love that Dr PinkCake is likely to be as much of a movie-buff as I am, and borrowed so beautifully and well some of the 'tricks' of cinematography, not least in having some beautifully meaningful 'cuts' from scene to scene borrowed straight out of movie-making. The scene where the MC is talking about Liam and the scene 'cuts' to the bar and the "Drink! Drink! Drink!" line is straight out of the movies. So is another Liam scene where Liam is showing off his car and claims to be a responsible driver, and the next moment the scene cuts to that awesome shot of him speeding like a demon, and the wonderful array of reactions to that from each occupant of the car.

I hadn't seen a VN use that idea before, and it was done so extremely well - really playing to the idea of a VN as a visual media.

But my mind is not so small and boolean that I can't love that aspect and still notice how hollow and shallow the various villain characters are, throughout the entire game. Dick is a cardboard cutout of a character, with no depth, and only viewable from a single angle. Peter is even worse, with not even a clear trope to his character. And Leah?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'm old enough and experienced enough to even say exactly why the positive characters are so beautifully rich, and the negative characters so completely lifeless and shallow: you have to empathise with even the villains. Ask any actor and they'll tell you that unless you can empathise with a character, you can't give them life. Alan Rickman was asked by young family members once why he always plays villains. He replied "I don't play villains. I play interesting and complicated characters". And that is why Alan Rickman has always played such strong and fascinating villains - he knows that everyone is the hero in their own mind's story, and plays them with compassion for their viewpoint.

It's an understandable and not uncommon mistake for a rookie writer, and I very much believe that having made it will enable the writer to do so much better in future games. But that is still something that absolutely should be criticised and pointed out in order for that to happen.

The same is true of other elements of the game. There are flaws. Of course there are, this is Doc's first major work. And it is the duty of anyone who wants to see Doc thrive, grow, and reach his potential in future games to help point out those flaws, help him consider what he could have done differently, and how, even if only making him ponder those questions himself to find his own answers.

Those who instead act as if there is nothing he could improve, nothing he could consider, nothing he could grow from, are the ones truly threatening his future, and stifling his growth.
Concerning Leah..alot of how she was would go well with "building trust..I'm a good gal..date me" type of stuff..I think the error is..if the MC actually does start dating her..he has fulfilled her psychotic desire..why kill others..she won...if he turned her down..that would be her trigger for mayhem...but I only took one semester of psyche in college and it was 35 years ago...so..hellifino

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
I'm more interested to see if Ana pops up in the final episode (in one of the paths). I ran a route that had us both showing that we couldn't stop thinking of the other, and it was just dropped at that. It felt like there should be more to come of it.

Leah scared me off in the first episode...
The "everything comes out roses" scenario gets played out too often. That ending is a dime a dozen, so what's wrong with something different? The writing was good enough to make you pissed. Very pissed, when it threw you for a loop and changed tones. Character development was so good that you freaked when you were forced to choose one of them.
Twists like this are expected in DA (which is about to release the finale), so it doesn't stir emotions. There is no character attachment, and anyone could die and you wouldn't bat an eye. The reason several are so upset, is that you got something that you weren't expecting/wanting from AL, namely emotions.

I know @UncleVT 's sweety turned out to be crazy (she scared me from the beginning), and many are upset about that because they didn't pick up on the nuances (which are clearly there after you know). There was a lot of foreshadowing throughout the game, albeit subtle. Play through it again, and you'll see it hidden in plain sight.
I concur, that I really like Depraved Awakening, but the emotional impact there doesn't come close to what happens here (hence all of the animosity). There's nothing similar between the 2 stories, and thus, are directed at different audiences and mindsets. To each their own. :)
I think that was the point. You're riding on cloud nine, about to have a threesome and move to L.A. to be a big actresses boy toy, and then you snap into reality and morbid loathing. Reality isn't kind and can throw you for a twist (such as a car accident, or illness) when things were seeming to be perfect. There is no build up for those events and they come unexpectedly.
This was my view upon the first reading as well. When the end of episode 6 came, I was full of gumdrops, rainbows and unicorns, then my heart sank, pulse quickened and blood pressure rose. That was not what I had expected in the slightest, so I filled my mind with "what if's" to try and disregard the severity of what just occurred.

Indeed, it was not at all what I wanted, but it was a unique experience. I don't have a clue about how he could have written it any better, without either giving it away or minimalizing the emotional impact. We are all of differing opinions (and special snowflakes), and not everyone is going to enjoy a tragedy (and the keyboard warriors really like to let us know that). I hope the finale isn't far off, because closure would sure help. :)
"Would it still have had that emotional impact if there had been a thriller tag or more obvious foreshadowing?", or "How could it have been alluded to better without giving it away?". Liking it or not, is purely a matter of opinion. It doesn't mean that it is or isn't written well, if your opinion is negative towards the writing mechanics used. Things aren't black and white, and most subjects are a purely grey area. They only become divisive when you label them as good or bad.
There's no reason to resort to personal attacks to try and make your point. It's rather rude and uncivil, and doesn't show yourself in an intelligent light. We understand that you don't like the writing, and have said so for the last several days, beating the same dead horse. If you think DA's writing is better, then it's a matter of personal opinion, and we've all said our piece. :)

Enyos

Mar 29, 2018
it fails to do what it was trying for.
But while I absolutely agree with praising the bravery of the attempt, let's not deceive ourselves that it was done well
It was actually a failed attempt of what it tried to do.
Repeatedly people have mentioned which is another VN that covers dark plotlines and kills a significant love-interest character - only better.

If you want to compare good characterizations then I'd suggest taking a look at "Our Fate" (link in my sig), which also has it's share of dark elements, and even someone with cancer, but honestly, once again, better.
I'll be interested to see the conclusion. I'll likely hate it
But he writes the dark stuff badly. He doesn't give any attention to any of the darker characters so that all of them are the most 2-dimensional, characterless, stereotypical and meaningless characters imaginable.
claims by the moronic
compared to the idiots
That small-minded booleanist straw-man
Throughout the entire thread I've had a completely closed mind
Writing insults eloquently doesn't make them any less insulting. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: DanMachiFan

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
Thread is closed for spring cleaning, please head to aisle 7 while you wait. Thank you.

I've nuked the last part of this discussion, instead of just deleting the whole back and forward. Be nice and accept that others have different opinions from you k?

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
It's getting to the point now where some people are reporting any post that has anything remotely negative to say about this game. I get that some of you are passionate but please remember; constructive criticism is fine, well thought out arguments are fine, and discussions which don't descend into petty name calling are not only allowed but encouraged.

Please avoid reporting a post just because you disagree with it's contents.

4.60 star(s) 810 Votes