goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I think it's 5.0.8, If I remember correctly. I have similar script made for, let's say 50% - idea is to make one version for All platforms, launchable on windows, linux and MacOS.

Game will hit 10 gigabytes soon, so 100 Megabytes for two players is not big harm.
The wiki only has 4.2.5 available for download. Get Info on Willy D 0.27 says 5.0.7. I guess I could take 0.27 and make a blank player from it, suitable for population.

The Mac app puts all the data (minus things like Windows specific DLLs, etc) in <app>/Contents/Resources. The player gets its .vis file from config.ini. In my earlier attempt at a light app that could be dropped into the Windows version, I made config.ini be a symlink to config_mac.ini, added to the Windows version. That's because I had to have it point to the .vis file, which was in ../../../<vis file>, since it was running from <app>/Contents/Resources.

Instead of doing that, I could try making Resources be a symlink to ../../.. . If that works, we'll have an easy drop-in Mac player that will work in any version.

Any player upgrade will need to be handled, but that should be pretty easy.

Blup Blup

Sep 14, 2017
Sounds good! For Linux I update the game engine every time because in the Bash start file the location of the Savegames is encoded including a version number. I also update the readme file because not all people understand that you must replace examples as 025 to the newest version :(

kolobezka

Apr 13, 2018
The wiki only has 4.2.5 available for download. Get Info on Willy D 0.27 says 5.0.7. I guess I could take 0.27 and make a blank player from it, suitable for population.

The Mac app puts all the data (minus things like Windows specific DLLs, etc) in <app>/Contents/Resources. The player gets its .vis file from config.ini. In my earlier attempt at a light app that could be dropped into the Windows version, I made config.ini be a symlink to config_mac.ini, added to the Windows version. That's because I had to have it point to the .vis file, which was in ../../../<vis file>, since it was running from <app>/Contents/Resources.

Instead of doing that, I could try making Resources be a symlink to ../../.. . If that works, we'll have an easy drop-in Mac player that will work in any version.

Any player upgrade will need to be handled, but that should be pretty easy.
Sounds good! For Linux I update the game engine every time because in the Bash start file the location of the Savegames is encoded including a version number. I also update the readme file because not all people understand that you must replace examples as 025 to the newest version :(
I had another idea - keep files (windows, linux players) buried inside of a MacOS structure. Then I could create my own launcher script for linux without need to modify vis generated one (or even without keeping script there. In the AOWD 0.xx.app dir, there would be directory Content (for all the stuff), then single exe launcher (maybe with possibilites discussed on DS) and .desktop file to launch under linux with clicking, without launching terminal, as it would be confusing for a lot of ppl. (I'm terminal guy, i live in black window with white text, so no launcher needed for me).

But this has some caveats:
1, extensive testing will be needed (we have still some issues for MacOS Mojave
2, windows permissions - this should be okay, as losing of executable bit from MacOS/Linux binaries is no harm under windows
3, updater - this is biggest pain in the ass, because of different structures of platforms - I'm not afraid of modding bash scripts, as I basicaly live in shell, but windows batch was pain in the ass from beginng to the end. I could make separated versions of updater for standalone packages and one for multiplafrom variant, but I can imagine troubleshooting, espetially here on F95, so no, no no...

I'd like to split this task into some substeps:
1, Design of deployment cycle (now, Nenad makes two/three exports and uploads the, I make updates from it, upload it back, we made some changes in this scenario, but still its not okay) (0.27-0.28)
2, Make few cygiwin/rsync scripts to unpack game and rsync (with keeping permissions for Mac/Linux) onto linux machine, where everything could happen (mixing versions, generating packages, fast upload) [would be tested while publishing 0.28]
3, Update windows batch script into something more usable [v0.28-0.30], in parallel, there would be made one "multiplatform" version to test by few ppl (Me, Blup, Nenad, Zgredzik and @goobdoob), without public release (this will break updater BC compatibility, more users confused, needed to avoid).
4. Public release with new windows updater, maybe modded linux/mac updaters (they will need to make update from regular version to multiplatform in next release
5. Multiplatform release, without single versions, also updater should transfer shit
6. This should be first one, actually it is needed to discuss all of this with @Nenad A. :D

I think biggest pain in the ass is now Nenad's upload speed, as of deployment cycle and this could be solved with rsync/cygwin on his side.

As i mentioned few times, I'd like to avoid multiple mutations of game in circulation between players, as it would be hell to make everything work with updater then. I'd also like to avoid doing multiple changes at the same time because of debug on gamers side, which could be possible pain in the ass.

And last cherry on the top, I' like to implement optional saves install into updater, just to eliminate stupid situations there ;)

Goe91

Jan 5, 2018
hello is it possible to play in 2560 × 1440 in the window? not in full screen. because the helas is small on my screen ^^ thank you for this great game.

kolobezka

Apr 13, 2018
hello is it possible to play in 2560 × 1440 in the window? not in full screen. because the helas is small on my screen ^^ thank you for this great game.
I don't have experience with that big screen, but try tweaking config.ini in game dir.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I had another idea - keep files (windows, linux players) buried inside of a MacOS structure. Then I could create my own launcher script for linux without need to modify vis generated one (or even without keeping script there. In the AOWD 0.xx.app dir, there would be directory Content (for all the stuff), then single exe launcher (maybe with possibilites discussed on DS) and .desktop file to launch under linux with clicking, without launching terminal, as it would be confusing for a lot of ppl. (I'm terminal guy, i live in black window with white text, so no launcher needed for me).

But this has some caveats:
1, extensive testing will be needed (we have still some issues for MacOS Mojave
2, windows permissions - this should be okay, as losing of executable bit from MacOS/Linux binaries is no harm under windows
3, updater - this is biggest pain in the ass, because of different structures of platforms - I'm not afraid of modding bash scripts, as I basicaly live in shell, but windows batch was pain in the ass from beginng to the end. I could make separated versions of updater for standalone packages and one for multiplafrom variant, but I can imagine troubleshooting, espetially here on F95, so no, no no...

I'd like to split this task into some substeps:
1, Design of deployment cycle (now, Nenad makes two/three exports and uploads the, I make updates from it, upload it back, we made some changes in this scenario, but still its not okay) (0.27-0.28)
2, Make few cygiwin/rsync scripts to unpack game and rsync (with keeping permissions for Mac/Linux) onto linux machine, where everything could happen (mixing versions, generating packages, fast upload) [would be tested while publishing 0.28]
3, Update windows batch script into something more usable [v0.28-0.30], in parallel, there would be made one "multiplatform" version to test by few ppl (Me, Blup, Nenad, Zgredzik and @goobdoob), without public release (this will break updater BC compatibility, more users confused, needed to avoid).
4. Public release with new windows updater, maybe modded linux/mac updaters (they will need to make update from regular version to multiplatform in next release
5. Multiplatform release, without single versions, also updater should transfer shit
6. This should be first one, actually it is needed to discuss all of this with @Nenad A. :D

I think biggest pain in the ass is now Nenad's upload speed, as of deployment cycle and this could be solved with rsync/cygwin on his side.

As i mentioned few times, I'd like to avoid multiple mutations of game in circulation between players, as it would be hell to make everything work with updater then. I'd also like to avoid doing multiple changes at the same time because of debug on gamers side, which could be possible pain in the ass.

And last cherry on the top, I' like to implement optional saves install into updater, just to eliminate stupid situations there ;)
I agree with most of this - especially the part about not having too many versions running around; that would be a support nightmare. And, of course, getting buyin from Nenad! :)

I'm an old time Unix guy, so working in the shell isn't a big deal for me.

I'm partial towards having everything out at the top level like it is now, with a drop-in Mac app that knows how to find the stuff outside of it, but I'm not married to that configuration. If we put everything inside the Mac app, we could have a batch file/shell script to cd to the right directory and launch the real exe, or have the real exe outside of the Mac app with a config.ini that points to the .vis file inside the app.

GrumpyMonkey

Jun 13, 2017
I am not sure if this was answered but I would certainly like some help with how to properly install this game. I know it says to download all 3 parts. After that, I tried merging them which lead to game not working. So I guess my question is how do I properly install this game? thanks for any input.

Blup Blup

Sep 14, 2017
I try tweaking config.ini but
After starting the game a copy of config.ini is made in the Savegames directoy. And that one overrules the config.ini in the game directory. So check if you've a config.ini with content in the Savegames directory and if yes try there to add your 16:9 resolution. I use 1600x900 there, but I see no reason why higher resolutions shouldn't work...

Blup Blup

Sep 14, 2017
I'm partial towards having everything out at the top level like it is now,
Me too. This is how it is done for Ren'py if you use the renpy2linux.sh script if a developer didn't add a Linux or macOS export:

Code:
$ ls -l
total 164
drwxr-xr-x  3 blupblup blupblup   4096 okt 15 19:58 Dark Neighbourhood.app
-rw-r--r--  1 blupblup blupblup 123904 okt 13 06:40 Dark Neighbourhood.exe
-rw-r--r--  1 blupblup blupblup   6376 okt 12 16:27 Dark Neighbourhood.py
-rwxr-xr-x  1 blupblup blupblup   2084 okt 12 16:27 Dark Neighbourhood.sh
drwxr-xr-x  6 blupblup blupblup   4096 okt 15 19:59 game
drwxr-xr-x  7 blupblup blupblup   4096 okt 15 19:58 lib
-rw-r--r--  1 blupblup blupblup   9878 okt 15 19:59 log.txt
drwxr-xr-x 12 blupblup blupblup   4096 okt 15 19:58 renpy
The .app directoy has some content and a symlink to the lib directory were ther now is a darwin-x86_64 directory as well. I suppose that macOS users only see the app?

kolobezka

Apr 13, 2018
I agree with most of this - especially the part about not having too many versions running around; that would be a support nightmare. And, of course, getting buyin from Nenad! :)

I'm an old time Unix guy, so working in the shell isn't a big deal for me.

I'm partial towards having everything out at the top level like it is now, with a drop-in Mac app that knows how to find the stuff outside of it, but I'm not married to that configuration. If we put everything inside the Mac app, we could have a batch file/shell script to cd to the right directory and launch the real exe, or have the real exe outside of the Mac app with a config.ini that points to the .vis file inside the app.
That was something, where my idea lead to - we can make small "launcher" like unity has - ability to check for old saves, modify resolution in config.ini (that right one, we have 2 of them :D).

BTW I love using shell because it's clean and in most of cases, it leads to straight solutions in shorter time. And it can be automated.

kolobezka

Apr 13, 2018
Me too. This is how it is done for Ren'py if you use the renpy2linux.sh script if a developer didn't add a Linux or macOS export:

Code:
$ ls -l
total 164
drwxr-xr-x  3 blupblup blupblup   4096 okt 15 19:58 Dark Neighbourhood.app
-rw-r--r--  1 blupblup blupblup 123904 okt 13 06:40 Dark Neighbourhood.exe
-rw-r--r--  1 blupblup blupblup   6376 okt 12 16:27 Dark Neighbourhood.py
-rwxr-xr-x  1 blupblup blupblup   2084 okt 12 16:27 Dark Neighbourhood.sh
drwxr-xr-x  6 blupblup blupblup   4096 okt 15 19:59 game
drwxr-xr-x  7 blupblup blupblup   4096 okt 15 19:58 lib
-rw-r--r--  1 blupblup blupblup   9878 okt 15 19:59 log.txt
drwxr-xr-x 12 blupblup blupblup   4096 okt 15 19:58 renpy
The .app directoy has some content and a symlink to the lib directory were ther now is a darwin-x86_64 directory as well. I suppose that macOS users only see the app?
No, mac users see everything like you see in linux. when you put everything into app directory and make launcher, then MacOS users will see only app.

Renpy script is changing app roots in few ways, as it is designed to support for launching even outside of a tree. I'm not sure about this for MacOS version of vis player and I'm afraid of windows version too.

In my opinion, best thing todo is to "mock" environment in that way where vis player can't see difference. I need to test those possibilities.

Blup Blup

Sep 14, 2017
Well, I have the Windows v027 download. If you have a structure what is needed for macOS I can test how it works. I can also test in Windows 7 and of course Linux. So let me know what I can do to help without downloading the game another two times almost 9 GiB :)

Nov 24, 2017
Open config.ini in the game folder (same folder that has the *.exe you use to start the game).

Find and change the following two lines to the following.

FULLSCREEN = no
RESOLUTION = 2560x1440

Don't change anything else. Make sure the ones you are changing don't have a # in front of them.

Goe91

Jan 5, 2018
I have tested all your solutions and it does not work. I think the game is blocking in 1920 max resolution. :noexpression:

Nenad A.

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2018
I have tested all your solutions and it does not work. I think the game is blocking in 1920 max resolution. :noexpression:
Game is not "Locked" to 1920x1080 it's just native resolution of the game. To play in any higher resolution you may change config ini but one in C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Adventures of Willy D 0xx\ Once you change it to your resolution save changes to ini and run game. In this case you don't want to change anything in Option screen inside game as it will overwrite your existing ini if you change resolution there. So inside ini just type: Fullscreen = No and Resolution = 2560x1440 save this changes and lunch the game.

Goe91

Jan 5, 2018
Game is not "Locked" to 1920x1080 it's just native resolution of the game. To play in any higher resolution you may change config ini but one in C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Adventures of Willy D 0xx\ Once you change it to your resolution save changes to ini and run game. In this case you don't want to change anything in Option screen inside game as it will overwrite your existing ini if you change resolution there. So inside ini just type: Fullscreen = No and Resolution = 2560x1440 save this changes and lunch the game.
Yes it works but it was necessary to put rather 2560x1420 to not be in full screen. It's weird but it works like that by removing pixels. Thank you

jaxon12

Aug 18, 2017
I cant find two more dolls. I did found 118 dolls. What are those two dolls that are missing? I'm also uploading a screenshot of the dolls I found. AOWD_2018-11-07_06h-28m-23s.png

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
@kolobezka @Blup Blup @Nenad A.
Here is a Mac player suitable for Willy D:

I took the Mac version of 0.27, stripped out the Resources directory, and recreated it as a symlink to ../.. . It's 12 megs zipped, 31 megs unzipped.

To use it drop it into the Windows installation, next to Adventures Of Willy D 0.27.exe. It uses the directory that it's in as the Resources directory, so can find config.ini and the .vis file. I tried it out and it launched fine.

It's using Visionaire Player 5.0.7. Nenad, if you change the player, this will need to change too. It's very easy - it took me less than a minute.
Instructions to make it (should work on Linux too):
  1. cd to <app>/Contents
  2. rm -rf Resources
  3. ln -s ../.. Resources

As long as the player version doesn't change, this should work with any new release. Possibly with any Windows version of a Visionaire game.

Reactions: Krull and kolobezka
4.40 star(s) 113 Votes